Kids of Tyrone, PA

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

Kids of Tyrone, PA

Post by moderator »

Recently TyronePA received an email from a young student at the Tyrone Area Middle School. This students said, "I'm a student at Tyrone Area Middle School. My friends and I wanted to know why there is nothing to do in this town. We have asked for a skate and bike park, but all we got was the hotel park that we are not even aloud to hang out on. Every time I sate through town with my friends, the police tell us we aren't allowed and have to go somewhere else, but there's no where to go. Us kids need something to do in this little town. There may not be much room here but I know you can find somewhere for something for us." We encourage everyone to post your response on this topic, as well as any solutions that you may have. Thank you for visiting TyronePA.com!
goldeneagle

lincoln school or the park avenue playground

Post by goldeneagle »

Perhaps the YMCA and the borough could collaborate and use lincoln school as a center for kids. If there is an interested skating community the playground and surrounding hills would be perfect for that and the school could be used as a recreation center and maybe a new home for the YMCA. Another possible sight, and one I have used on countless occasions is the park avenue playground. With a little investment and help from the community it could hold the facilities needed so each kid would have something they could enjoy there. Knowing building owners in town, I have heard that one of the issues is vandalism. I myself have had to repair damage time and again after kids with too little to do have resorted to destroying other people's, not to mention the community's, property. Perhaps the remedy for this problem is offering the kids a place in town near their homes where they can play. The older members of the community have remenisced about old Athletic Park. I feel that this sort of arena is needed once again and hope that the community could band together and donate the necessary funds. I realize that the town is strapped for money, so I would hope that the parents of these kids as well as the other members of the community would donate what they could to creating a nice and useful facility for the kids to enjoy. I hope that there is something done about this issue as the kids of Tyrone need a place to congregate and play.
bashfull

Post by bashfull »

Perhaps the reason there is nothing to do in this town for the kids, is because everytime they get something for the youth to do they destroy it.
Ruby

skating

Post by Ruby »

I asked the question not long ago about the skate park that was promised to the youth of our town and was given the reply that the liability insurance was to large. We should break that down and find out what the liability is going to be if we don't supply something for the youth to do. The less there is to offer todays youth the more drugs and violence we are going to see. Everyone is quick to say about how destructive the kids are but yet most of those people don't remember back to when they were kids themselves. We all grew up at different times, and we all did our share of what our elders at that time called vandalism. WE as a town will continue to see things destroyed and see crimes from drug induced youth until we find a way to keep kids involved. Times are changing, interest are changing. Skateboarding is a big thing for the youth and they deserve a chance to skate and to skate safely.
Confuzed

Let's not confuse...

Post by Confuzed »

...the lack of a skate park with youth on drugs. While providing a place for kids to be kids is of importance, it goes without saying that the drug problem can be attirubted to the homelife of these kids to some extent.

There are currently a lot of things kids could do, but it requires parent involvement and sometimes that infringes on the parents lifestyle causing them to have to drive the kids to practice, to games, etc.

The skateboarding park would be a first step, but it provides an avenue for kids to do something without parental involvement. Let's not use the "lack of a place to take your kids" as a cructh for the drug problem. Take your kids to the drive in movies in State College, take them to a high school baseball game, softball game, to see the Altoona Curve; let your kids get involved in Tyrone Little League, the Tyrone Soccer program, etc.

Speaking on the drug problem, this should be seriously attacked. Kicking a kid out of school is not a solution to "a problem" but rahter creates an additional problem. Keep the kid educated! Force the kid into a mandatory drug program with a shared expense between the school ditrict and the parents (with a good portion coming from the parents.) The parents own some responsibility in the destruction of their children.

This also brings up how these drigs are getting into the hands of the children. I live far from Tyrone but I can promise you that getting these drugs are not hard. The Police should easily be able to locate the dealers. You are kidding yourself if you think they do not know where to get drugs.
Ruby

parents

Post by Ruby »

Parents hold a certain responsibility when it comes to the drug problem that is invading Tyrone. I can tell you that if you look at many of the youth that are using drugs many of them have very concerned parents at home who try at all cost and all means to save their children. This drug problem is not just with what some consider "welfare" kids. A good number of the youth have working parents that have a name in this town. I think that reaching the younger youth now with some positive and different ideas it will help the town and the parents. I agree that parents need to pay attention to what their children are doing. They need to ask questions and watch closely, but drugs have a way of changing your child into someone that is so good at pulling the wool over your eyes. There are different faces in Tyrone lately, are they being watched. How about all the dealers that we do have picked up? They are all released with in hours, just in time to go make another pick up. This town has a serious problem. To push it aside is going to only make matters worse.
Complaining

Post by Complaining »

I think we should have more places to hang out, without the police bothering us. If we can't park at Burger King, stand out side our cars and talk without causing trouble. Then make us a desingnated spot where we can. I think most people in our community think when driving through town and see us there, its like a disscrace to our community. What else is there to do in Tyrone. I mean come on, were complaning about creating activities. Mabe if there was something to do we wouldn't be hanging out there.
mountzjammer@aol.com

how about the kids give them something

Post by mountzjammer@aol.com »

when i was growing up in tyrone they had the playground assiciation. this was ran by money the town got like the block grants.it was a place that we went and had fun, had kick ball tournaments,made projects, and just hung around and had fun.this was all suppervized by college kids who were paid for there time.they had playgrounds thru out the town so kids of all ages could go there.they were all located and called,pappermill playground by shea field,athletic park playgroundby dixon tool and dye, park avenue playground at site it is located now and a few others. so come on tyrone lets look at block grant money to open and make this happen again. and another thing use some block grant monies on skate rink for kids and have it well suppervised the kids in tyrone deserve to have fun like we did when we were kids.look at pictures of what the atheletic park use to look it was a beautiful happening place.lets bring something back for the kids.
someone

kids inTyrone

Post by someone »

The best place for the kids to "hang out" is at home! Invite your friends to your home. Sit on you own porch! Get involved with YOUR own family. It is a families responsibility to assure that their child is cared for-no matter what the age!
parent

I AGREE

Post by parent »

Very well said "someone" you hit the nail on the head. Parent resposibility
BoredTeenager

I dont agree

Post by BoredTeenager »

"Someone" I dont agree with you because not all teens are the same, they dont all want to hang out at home being basically locked up in there own house. My mother always wants me to come home and spend time with her, so therefore occasionally I come home and spend time with her. But I do have a LIFE, not an important one but its something. Every night I drive around tyrone, or go to the train station, resovoir, BK, or some other empty place and EVERYTIME a cop comes and kicks us out. Why?? I dont know, ive been tryin to figure that one out. I do however agree with "complaining" we should have a spot where we can go and park are cars and juts hang out. I know 80% of us would respect something like that, we wouldnt go and destroy everything or litter or cause any trouble because we ARE mature.

Post by Guest »

I am proud you are one of the 80%. It is the other 20% we all worry about for our own safety and the asafety of our property.
moses lee
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by moses lee »

Up here in the big city of Altoona the teenagers have a teen center on main street. I have looked inside it is very well maintained . I'm not positive on this but I think funding is thru some kind of Allegheny grant. Does every teenager in Altoona hang out there? No, But many do. And if it helps the ones that do hang out to socialize within thier generation and help keep them out of trouble, then it is good. The ones that choose not to for any-other reason but to raise h*ll then it is on them. These teens are growing up in a superfast moving, information bombarding , world. Nuke, Bio, and Chem. threats are hanging over thier heads STD'S are rampant . I agree with B.T. can't blame the many for the few. And like the many paths that are wacking at these teens there are also many paths to assist them (many of you have touched on them). I have found thru mistakes with my own kids sometimes its good to get it from the source. Most of us have done the rebellion thing is some way as teens, nowadays it's alot more dangerous. It just seems they have to grow up much faster (by choice or not). Just seems from children to young adults is a hyper fast blur for them, man I'm starting to get a headache just thinking about it. All we can do is to try to help the best way we can. Good posts interesting topic.
N. Romano

Make It Happen

Post by N. Romano »

My husband and I live in Altoona. We recently spent a few weeks in Kelowna, B.C. Canada (where he is from) Our children, although not teenagers, were in heaven. Sure they have a huge lake that has alot for their youth and tourists...BUT..they put those funds to good use. Parks all over the city..and in those parks..some have tennis courts..others have basketball courts or hiking areas..you name it. They have public water parks for the kids to shoot water at each other etc.. for free. Altoona may be "the big city" but we also have nothing for our youth. just more room to do nothing in.Sure they can ice skate..for a fee. See a curve game..for a fee. Hang out at the mall and get harassed by security..unless they pay a fee to see a movie or shop. teenagers don't have money to blow..even those who work for minimum wage at Burger King. The economy in this area doesn't allow parents cash to just hand out. We have a baseball stadium here..why not have the County sponsor concerts..Organize a huge community bake sale..get churches..daycare centers..local companies involved. From big to small there are money making ideas out there..that can bring money into the COUNTY. If Altoona has drug problems..so does Tyrone..and yes it's everywhere..but the longer nothing is done..the worse these problems will become..and these kids starting out with the drugs can become criminals on drugs..in our neighborhoods. Maybe if we in Blair County work together..volunteer a little bit of time(bored teenagers would love to help out if it benefits them)..and stop talking about it so much..we can actually get something done. :idea:
mf

Kids, Tyrone, Skateparks & drugs

Post by mf »

Do all kids skate? Do all kids do drugs? DOes having soemthing to do really determine if you are going to do drugs? When you are bored do u do drugs (including drinking, smoking)? IF not....why do kids? If so....then look in the mirror.

I grew up in Tyrone and i am in my mid 20's. After 16 I worked....if your kids aren't working after 16....then there is a problem. Not many parents are so well off in Tyrone that their kids don't need to work. The kids don't want to work?...make them. teach them a lesson. A valuable thing kids need to understand is the value of personal industry. It can't hurt.

Prior to 16, parents best be active with their kids regardless of whether they have a place to hang out at they are going to play around and be inquisitive. Where are the parents? Did they find something to do and now they can't take care fo their kids? Maybe they can share their hobbies?

To throw a wrench into most all of these theories.....I worked from 16 on, but i still raised h*ll. I did things i shouldn't have. Usually it was because of the people I was around. Trying to impress and whatnot. But what my parents always said came back to me and I figured it out. I learned by example. I always had plenty to do but yet i still had to explore...i came full circle.

I live in a major city now and you know what my friends here say about growing up here? "Nothing to do....we just rode the subway around to go places....steal stuff...drink.....hang out with friends." Only difference is they don't get thrown out of everywhere. the reason for this is the amount of people that are throughout the city...they can't differentiate. So my question becomes....why can't kids hang out at reservior park..or at the pool parking lot? Litter? Noise? Come on....lets get a grip. Now if they are doing drugs lets bust them...but i can't see the harm. Maybe our cops need something better to do in Tyrone? Maybe we need some real crime so they don't take good kids for granted. Just let them hang out somewhere.

I know how cops in tyrone used to work.......all the bad asses knew them cause they were always in trouble....so they became friendly and knew how to beat the system. Meanwhile the good kids fell prey to the example of the bad and end up getting in trouble as well. Cops used to chase me through town....follow me to my house and what not. Meanwhile..losers were out doing drugs, fighting, screwing and having kids.

I say the town does not need to build a park or social area....I say they give the kids access a certain area. We used to go to the volleyball courts....or burger king. How about IGA parking, or Ames parking? Police could watch and contain....stop by to make sure everything was fine and even throw someone out occasionally. Can't our cops do that today? Or is that asking for trouble? These kids need to be creative...thats all i can say. For those of you out there that do nothing but critisize the kids.....u need to sit back and remember what you were like as a kid. and if you were good....who was bad? 20%? 10%? and realize you are generalizing all of tyrone's kids as that 10%. wake up. Its not 1960 anymore and times have changed.

Parents take your message to city council. Besides posing for pictures and getting in political disputes.....let them think about the kids. Maybe they are all so removed they don't remember what it was like to have kids.....they best wake up.

In all honesty we should not depend on the jackals in city hall to take care of our kids. We should take care of them ourselves. Give our kids' inner circle of friends a place to stay by opening our houses.

Hope this made you think.