The Daily Herald

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
kerryweb

The Daily Herald

Post by kerryweb »

Howdy everyone, my name is Kerry Webster and I'm a reporter with The Tyrone Daily Herald.

Since I came here in October, myself, general manager Chris Lash, reporter Christina Pryor and editor John Harlow have been working hard to bring our readers the very best in local news. Sure, we understand that we don't get all the stories - but we'd like to. That's where we need your, the community's help.

Anytime anyone has an idea about a good story, we want to hear from you. It doesn't have to be a big breaking story. Jeez, we want to write about your neighbors. The residents here. Their accomplishments.

Please, do not hesitate to email me with anything you may have dheraldnews2@adelphia.net.

We're always open to suggestions also. Is there something you want to see on or pages. Let us know. Thanks.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Story Idea

Post by banksy »

How about a "where are they now" section where you could write about former athlete standout, former residents who made contributions, etc.

I would like to know about past athletes in particular such as Bruce Wallace, Kenny Myers, Tom Miller, Barry Anderson, Jessie Jones, Steve Everhart, Tiger Rupert, Todd Templeton, etc.

How about a "teacher spotlight" for those of us out-of-towners who still like to keep up to date via this website. Teachers who may or may not still be at Tyrone, such as Fran Bloom, Tim Young, John Schoenwolf, and Mark Nale.

How about a "meet your herald" reported series where we get to know a little about each of you. I know Harlow, so you can skip him (just kidding John.) Include John as well, I have no idea what John did with this life since I umpired Little League with him and I see his name all over the Hearld now.

What about a "hisitroy of Tyrne business" section so we can hear how the Switzer family came up with the idea for a Hoagie Shop, how Del Grossos came about, and the rise and fall of the Cloverine Salve Company.

Just some thoughts.
direneedofnews

What happened?

Post by direneedofnews »

The Herald has really gone down hill over the past year. Why all the staff changes? A year ago, we were well informed of all the goings on, the staff was hands-on with the community, our little paper was garnering respect as a real source for information in the Blair County region, they were friends of the community, and then Mr. Lash showed up and our hometown paper was turned upside down. John Harlow...the editor? It took you a year to figure out that was the wrong way to go? Come on, anyone from this town knows that's a bad move. He should be fired, not demoted. What a discrace. I really hope the new editor knows how to spell, and maybe understands the basic concept of grammar. Please give us our hometown paper back. It's a joke, really. Sloppy, sad, ridiculous.
SDutt

Wow....

Post by SDutt »

That was a little harsh. I have lived in Tyrone for a matter of months and do not think that the Local Paper is bad at all. I actually look forward to my chances to read through the local news. Change is never easy, especially for those who are affected by it. Please give change a chance...I am sure that if your comments were a little more specific and helpful, the staff might be able to use them to help develop a more "hands-on" news paper in your eyes. From my viewpoint...I like what I see.

Thanks.
Herald Lash

Regarding The Daily Herald

Post by Herald Lash »

Regarding the post above! Could it be from one of the three employees that I let go over the last year?

For months before my arrival in Tyrone, I recieved The Daily Herald and saw very little local news in its pages. Unless the premiere of Star Wars counts as a local story.

When I arrived I found lazy people who offered little and wrote even less.

There was NO local news! So your reference to us giving your hometown paper back is baseless.

There is more local news in this paper than at any time in the past. I have every copy of the paper for the last one hundred years.

John Harlow did what he was asked to do at the time. Now we move forward and take another step. Record amounts of locals news and advertising are featured every week.

Have some facts, please, before posting such nonsense. But if you don't like us, please purchase the Altoona Mirror. They sure cover Tyrone and Bellwood.

Three days after we do!

Thanks

Chris Lash
Daily Herald
General Manager
ruby

Post by ruby »

Personally, I liked Harlow as the Editor, also liked him as the Sports editor. I think John brought an edge to the paper. Made people think a little. I didn't always agree and I told him so. I don't even know who the new editor is, I know a name but don't know a face... Is he from Huntingdon? just wondering!
Mr. Lash, I respect what you have done for the Herald. I don't always agree with you "intelligence" but I still enjoy reading it.