...new in town...

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
baggyman

...new in town...

Post by baggyman »

Just want to say "hello!" I'm new in town (sort of...) and have been reading the posts. I'm surprised - and not surprised - to hear of the extent of everyone's concern over drug-related problems here. If it's such common knowledge as to where it's happening why is it still going on? Don't the cops demolish crack and smack houses in Tyrone? They should! Isn't the neighborhood banded together to get the crime element out of their midst? They should be. Tyrone seems to have such unbelieveable cohesivness when it comes to football; how about when it comes to their own kids, their own town, their own quality of life?

Being complacent is like ignoring prostate cancer: it'll take years to kill you, but until you become impotent you don't even know it's there. Has tyrone lost it's balls yet?
sissy31696
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

banding together

Post by sissy31696 »

It depends on who the neighbors are. Where I live practically every other neighbor is druggy. So the other neighbors are banding together, but there don't seem to be enough of us that are not druggies to band together. I thought I was safe sending my daughter to a neighbors to play, then the last drug bust hit, and the mother was picked up, so that house is no longer on the ok list to have play dates with. Just waiting for the next drug bust to see what other house will be off limits for my child.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Our town has been fighting this drug problem for years. Our police force and drug task force have been working very hard at cleaning up the streets.
The problem is that they pick up the addicts, throw them in prison for a few days, some for longer and then they are back out on the streets. If anyone knows anything about opiate addiction, it doesn't go away over night or over months. Letting a junkie back out on the streets of Tyrone and expecting them to stay clean is like letting a kid alone in Gardners candy and telling them not to eat any, its not going to happen! My son told me that living in Tyrone made it all the harder to get clean because it didn't matter where you went there was alway someone around to get something from.
I suggest that the best thing to do is if you know of a user, or even better, a dealer, turn them in. If you know them personally I suggest that you offer some help, even if its just to let them know you care. Alot of these kids are really alone in all this, they don't have a support system to help them see their way out of it. Its a sad situation.
I support methadone maintenance therapy for those that have a good support system but alot of people disagree. Not everything works for everyone.
jamy
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jamy »

I also agree with methadone maintance to a point, but after watching a documentary on HBO about methadone I am not so sure if it is good to be on it for a long period of time. I also think that suboxone is a good maintance program for opiate addicts.
It is so sad that there isn't more support out there for the people that are addicted! Herion is such a nasty drug and it is VERY addicting!! It saddens me so much to see that there are so many older adults in this town that are on it or they supply it to the young kids in this town!! As for trying to fight the war on drugs in Tyrone I feel it is totally hopeless! We have what I like to call a catch and release program (and I am not talking about fishing..haha) because when they bust someone and that person snitches on someone else they will let that person go right back out on the streets to deal again! That does not solve anything for anyone!! I think if they bust someone for drugs it should be manditory to be sentance to prison and then to a drug rehab!