TASD Punishments

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
ruby

Post by ruby »

I am very sadden by the fact that there might have beenseniors that were found positive of drug use and got cleaned up and were not permitted to join their class at graduation. I believe that the hardest yet most rewarding lessons to learn are about life. I also believe that if a student does their work, receives a passing grade and is qualified to receive a diploma because of academic reasons he/she should recieve it the same as any other student. I heard of students that chose not to participate in graduation because they didn't feel they should because of all the talk that went on mostly among parents. What kind of an example is that to the youth, and to parents. I for one feel that if they are fighting to beat the addiction then they deserve a bigger round of applause because thats a fight that could last them the rest of their lives. Let support not ridicule the students. Lets look at the schoo board.
sybles

agreed

Post by sybles »

I 100% agree to look at the school board, which reminds me... I was at graduation to see my daughter graduate, I was wondering how a parent could get on stage and hug their daughter, I would have loved to do that with my daughter... but maybe because im not on the school board, i have no right to that!

heroin is a dirty drug and a hardest thing they will ever have to beat, i havent met one yet who kicked it.. well a few did kick it, but they have the oxicontins to get them through it.

:cry: :cry: another friend dies of heroin over dose ripe old age of 24.. 33 year old friend dead of hep c, I judge no one, my heart hurts for every person hooked on the drug. i can continue to add to the list of people with hepatitis , and hiv, yep right in our town, h*ll i know of the people who knew they hadhepatistis and still shared the needles :cry:
ruby

Post by ruby »

Heroin is a terrible drug but I can tell you that I know of a boy that is 5 months clean from the drug... He has made a 100% turn around. It hasn't been easy but it has been rewarding. His choice to come clean was thru Methadone. Some people don't agree with it, but it gave him back his life and gave me back my son! I am so proud!
sybles

Post by sybles »

you are very very lucky to get you son back, im sure it took a good parent and a strong son to help him through his hard times, its very refreshing to hear a child has made it through, i know we need the methadone clinic, the idea scares me for fear it will bring more problems to our area, but if it can help a few kids it can make a few parents as happy and proud as you must feel.
ruby

Post by ruby »

Thank you very much for your reply. My son and our whole family have been fighting this battle and together we will conquer it. Starting in January my son, husband and I drove 2 1/2 hours one way every day but Sunday to Pittsburgh. Depending on traffic the round trip would take between 5 to 6 hours! Mind you I said we started this in January, the worse time to travel up Cresson Mountain. There were many days that we weren't sure that we would make it but we knew that the battle was worth it. Eventually my husband had to return to his job and my son and I made the long treks. One day a week my son had counseling. I sat in a parking lot at the clinic in the middle Pittsburgh, not knowing a soul, for an hour and never once did I see any kind of trouble. Eventually I got to know the faces going in and out of the clinic and kids that use to walk with their heads down began to look up and smile, then eventually say hello when passing by me.
I wish everyone could know my son, because he is the "trouble" that people think will be coming to this area. People that search out and hopefully find these clinics are people that want help. Methadone doesn't get you messed up, it doesn't give you a high. It is strictly regulated by the clinics and by the state.
The trouble isn't with the clinic and the people that come to them. The problem are with the people that don't belong to the clinic. The people that rob and steal your guns from your houses, or you drugs because they have that addiction that they have to quench. The trouble is already here in our neighborhoods. The drugs are here!
I would still be traveling to Pittsburgh everyday, paying $95 a week and $100 in Gas a week, Risking all that I have and am to save the life of my son but thank the Good Lord a clinic opened up in Curwensville. I pray that no one has to go thru this, because then it would mean that they have someone they love with an opiate addiction.
Thank you again for caring, and please if you want to know anything about methadone and see the results of a life saved by it I'd love to share.
sybles

wondering

Post by sybles »

If i may ask, how long does a person have to be on the Methadone?
ruby

Post by ruby »

The methadone maintenance therapy is up to the individual. When they feel physically and more importantly mentally better to handle situations. The thing about MMT (methadone maintenance therapy) is that its way more than going in and drinking a drink, its all the intense counseling that a person receives. Its also the people that you meet in recovery. Some people are life time participants in MMT, its all up to the individual.
WORRIED

GREEN TREE VILLAGE

Post by WORRIED »

WHY DOES A PERSON WORK AT THE VILLAGE TEACHING WITH THE STUDENTS REGARDING social and emotional problems, as well as behavioral problems, WHEN THAT PERSON HAS BIG ISSUES PERSONALY?? DONT THEY GIVE PEOPLE SOME KIND OF PERSONAL TESTS TO SEE IF THE EMPLOYEE IS EMOTIONALY STABLE AND SANE THEMSELVES BEFORE EMPLOYMENT CAN BE AN OPPURTUNITY ON THERE LIST?? KNOWING THAT THIS PERSON WORKS THERE I WOULD MOVE OUT OF TOWN BEFORE SENDING MY CHILD THERE!! ESPECIALLY WITH THE HEAD GAMES THAT COULD BE MADE ON THESE KIDS IF THEY ARE NOT TAUGHT AND GIVEN THE CORRECT ATTENTION ALL THE TIME. SO BEFORE YOU SEND YOUR CHILD THERE I WOULD MAKE IT A POINT TO MEET EVERY EMPLOYEE AND MAKE SURE YOU CAN TRUST THEM. BUT, IT MAY TAKE AWHILE TO SEE THE TRUTH, THUS BRINGING UP THE "GET INVOLVED" SUBJECT. ALWAYS ASK YOUR CHILDREN HOW THERE DAY WAS AND ALWAYS ASK HOW THEY FEEL, WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW SCHOOL IS GOING, HOW ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES, ASK HOW THEY GET ALONG WITH EVERYONE AT THERE SCHOOL INCLUDING THERE ELDERS NO MATTER WHAT THE AGE IS. MY CHILDREN ARE OLDER NOW AND THEY AT TIMES THANK ME FOR BEING SO "NOSEY" BECAUSE THERE ARE THINGS THEY MAY HAVE BEEN SCARED TO SHARE WITH ME BUT IF I ASKED THEM UP FRONT THEY NORMALLY WOULD TELL ME. IM NOT SAYING WERE THE PERFECT PARENTS AT ALL BUT THIS DOES HELP. GOOD LUCK IF YOUR CHILD MUST ATTEND GREEN TREE VILLAGE, I ONLY HOPE YOU TAKE MY "OPINION" AND CHECK IT OUT YOURSELF.....

Who are you?

Post by Guest »

and may I ask who you are to judge other people.... every person should be allowed to take their own impression of a person.... it is people like YOU who ruin this world.... who was the employee.... someone who told you the truth that you were nosey... or just because the person is a little different than yourself.... everyone has a point of view... i'm not saying yours is wrong.... but anyone who openly goes out and talks down a person needs to pay a little visit to the psycologist to get their head straightened out.... hows that for my opinion on you...

WORRIED

Post by Guest »

yeppers get to know the people, i got to see the bruise on my friend sons arm because he didnt follow rules, you either go by the rules or go down!

TASD punishments

Post by guest »

Well, once again there is misinformation going around about Greentree Village. Accusations that certain staff are emotionally unstable, children are sent there on a whim of the school district, that they are mistreated??? Lets be real here.
First of all. I know some of the staff at Greentree and they are there because they want to HELP the kids have a better life. These kids come from dysfunctional families. They cant handle their emotions or their anger or being in a normal school environment. They are the kids in public school who refuse to do any schoolwork, swear at the teachers, throw desks or threaten other students. They disrupt the education of students who are in school to learn. The staff at Greentree are trained before they are hired and while they work there. If a student is getting emotionally upset because they cant do what they want or starting a fightwith another student, they cant control their anger and they erupt. Staff has an obligation to protect themselves and other students. They are trained in Safe Crisis Management and children are restrained. But every restraint is reported to DPW and if there was a problem the state would be shutting them down.
So, you people need to be aware of the facts and the truth before you slam a program that you know nothing about. The staff at Grentree have been more of a positive influence in these childrens lives than some of their families.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

re: "you either go by the rules or go down&quo

Post by banksy »

....this may be a better alternative than 15 years from now when the going down means 15-20 in Huntigton. Without Greentree, that is where a lot of these individuals will end up.

As someone who is intrigued by the human condition, it is always interesting to note the vast number of people who speak on conjecture without a basis of facts. I guess that is part of the culture that has adorned "The National Inquirer" mindeset. Everybody has their opnion, but few have facts to back that opinion.

Yes, you are intitled to that opnion in the United States, but at some level it leaves such a bad taste in others mouths. Another case in point, a town suffering from lack of jobs is getting a new chance with the re-opening of the Paper Mill, and what do we see in a public forum, someonel already complaining that if the smell comes back with the paper mill they are moving. Great reception to someone giving this town a chance. Save us all the hassle and don't wait, just move now and get it over with.
AWoomer

Post by AWoomer »

Okay People, For some reason some of you are missing the whole POINT to MY Original Post! I DID NOT say that i was against GREEN TREE VILLAGE. I did say that I did not think it was fair that MY son was charged with a fellony for pulling the fire alarm Which the charge is defined as Creating or Risking a Catastrophe! and then being EXPELLED for the remainder of the school year and having to attend a partial day treatment program which just so happened to be Green Tree! Compared to a Student bringing heroin to School! My whole Point to the matter was that I felt that heroin was and still is VERY SERIOUS and that it could have also created a catasrophe! What if it got into the hands of another student? It could have seriously hurt someone or even worse KILLED someone! Now if you want to talk about Facts then get the FACTS ON HEROIN! Also if you want to talk about the facts about Green Tree and SOME of the Staff members I would gladly answer your questions as best as I can,Because I do know that some of the Staff members should be looked at carefully and my son could tell you all what he has experienced there as well! This Program is intended for Boys with social and emotional problems. But they do not focus on that with the boys. My son came home often telling me that they discussed DRUGS and Alcohol does that sound like social and emotional treatment program? I would also like to let the Public to know that this program is NOT just For the children of Tyrone there are kids for All around this state and yes SOME of them do come from dysfunctional families BUT NOT ALL them!

Post by guest »

Unfortunately, the State legislature passed a law that made pulling the fire alarm a felony and mandates the student be expelled for pulling it. The school district has to follow the law concerning this. As for the heroin, the school districts policy concerning possession of drugs on school property is out-of-date and is soon to be revised to be stricter. Legally, the school district could not expell him for possession because the policy has the punishment as a suspension. Also, kids with emotional problems are more likely to use drugs and alcohol so a trained counselor would discuss this with the kids. Their feeling on drug use and if they have used.

??

Post by Guest »

I thought the school could suspend a child for a minimum of 10 days and at the worse expel the student...?