Plane crash - December 20th, 1956

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Holland

Plane crash - December 20th, 1956

Post by Holland »

Hi,

My grandfather's plane crashed 5 miles north of Tyrone on 20 December, 1956 - a long time ago. Would anyone know anyone who might remember this or know where there is a newspaper archive in the area. I would drive right out there, but I live in Holland (the Netherlands). I would also like to ask of ayone would assist me in obtaining a police report. Many, may thanks! Joe
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Contact BeachBiker on this board for police report info....he used to be a Tyrone cop and may be able to point you in the proper direction for the police report.

What was your grandfather's last name? My step father knows almost everyone and everything of Tyrone....I could prob get some info from him for you.

Email me directly at ohioumpire at comcast dot net.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

Here are a few suggestions:

The most likely source for a report would be the Tyrone Herald newspaper. You could email the editor at -

dherald@verizon.net

That area is far enough from Tyrone Borough that it is likely that the Tyrone Borough POLICE were NOT involved, but the Tyrone FIRE Department probably WAS. NOTE: Police response was most likely by the Pennsylvania State Police, Troop "G" Headquarters in Hollidaysburg. Even if it was in Centre County and responded to by the State Police for that area, the Hollidaysburg station was and is still the headquarters that may have information.

It is possible that a fire department (and maybe police) response report may be in an archived file with the borough records. You could try emailing the borough's business offices at -

info@tyroneboropa.com

An EXCELLENT source for most aircraft accidents in the US is the Federal Aviation Administration.

They maintain records on all reportable aircraft accidents, and they are usually researchable on their website -

http://www.faa.gov

Clicking on the link on the right side of the page that reads "Accident and Incident Data" will access a page that includes a link to "Accidents: More than 10-Years Ago". If you click on it, it will forward you to a page that displays only the major accidents in the period. Click on the highlighted "Accident Synopses" part at the top of the page, this will display the National Transportation Safety Board report query page. Here is the direct link -

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

The only problem is that this database only goes back to 1962. You could try putting in the information that you already have, but it probably won't show any results.

If that is the case, I'd recommend going back to the main FAA home page -

http://www.faa.gov

and reviewing the site for any way to contact someone to find out if the information you are seeking is retrievable.

Good luck, as it is not often that older information of just about anything is in a retrievable computerized database. Something that old is usually much rarer to locate.
ho89gt

maybe your date is off alittle

Post by ho89gt »

I live aprox 5 to 6 miles north of tyrone in Bald Eagle and the old farm I live on had a plane crash here when my wifes father was just little. I can remember him telling my that it was winter and the gentleman that was flying the plane was delievering planes as a hobby up north. He fell asleep and crashed into the mountain right behind the old farm house and he walked approx a mile down off the mountain to the farm house where my father in law lived. He was fine few bumps and scratches but I think this crash would have been in the later 50's maybe early 60's. Let me know if this could be the one because the gentleman that crashed here used to fly over the farm and if you were outside he would fly real low and dip his wing at you then fly off over the mountain.... :?:
Mike_Pa
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: Plane crash - December 20th, 1956

Post by Mike_Pa »

Holland wrote:Hi,

My grandfather's plane crashed 5 miles north of Tyrone on 20 December, 1956 - a long time ago. Would anyone know anyone who might remember this or know where there is a newspaper archive in the area. I would drive right out there, but I live in Holland (the Netherlands). I would also like to ask of anyone would assist me in obtaining a police report. Many, may thanks! Joe

I know this is a old Post Joe. Give me Pm if you get this. I know a lot about this Crash.