Citizens Social Dances

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Dances

Citizens Social Dances

Post by Dances »

I think these dances are a good thing because one thing it gives teens a chance to get out and spend time with people they dont very often get to see... If thier is a problem with underage drinking then do a drug alcohol test on those people who they think are "drunk or Stoned " but dont take these dances away please this is the only thing we have from keeping these kids out of trouble and another thing they need to get a high age limit on these dances them little 7-8-9 yr olds shouldnt be there with a bunch of teenagers. Well I hope this letter works.
Blondi

Activities

Post by Blondi »

Dear Tyrone Borough,
What is there for kids to actually do in Tyrone? The only thing that I can think of was the Dances at the Citizens Social Hall. I'm 18 and I myself went/go to the dances. There is nothing else in this town for us to do. There's no major stores, really no place where kids can hang out without getting the cops called on them, even if there just hanging out and not causing any problems. Even when we find a place where we are aloud to be hanging out at, not too much later, and we are kicked out of there too.
Maybe if there was more for kids to do in Tyrone, that was in interest of them, maybe Tyrone wouldn't have as many fights and drug and alcohol cases. The only places kids can spend money around here is, State College and Altoona. There is really no where to buy anything worth while in town. The dances were only $2.00 to get in and spend time with friends to have a good time. Yea, there is always going to be that 'handful' of kids who are going to sneak in drunk or want to fight someone. The system can't catch everyone and it never will.
Down at the dances, yea there were some fights, but every time there was, the cops were called. Half the time the kids that had started the fights, were not even at the dance, they just showed up there because they had a problem with someone who might have been there. Even if people were not at the dances, and happened to be fighting close by, they would come to the dance, to get help. I don't see anything wrong with someone trying to get help or people breaking up fights and calling the cops. The kids that were in fights, were not allowed back at the dances. People do look for the kids who are starting fights and drinking. If they are going to start a fight, they are asked to leave, so the fight doesn't start or continue and they are not allowed back. The same thing goes with the kids who were drinking. The cops were called for them too. I would rather see a drunk kid in the hands of a cop, getting treated, than roaming around the streets of Tyrone, drunk.
If you were a teenager again, how would you spend your free time, this summer, in Tyrone? Counting cars from your porch or watching birds going flying over head? Or just make laps around town for something to do because there is nothing in the town to keep us busy. Maybe just think about that for a second. I know I would like to have something to look forward to every Friday night. I'm sure I would not be the only one thinking this. Please reconsider taking the only thing we really have away from us. It's hard to tell what kids would be like then with absolutely nothing to do. Look at the good side of this, at least some people cared enough about the kids to get something going for them, that they, themselves also enjoyed.

Concerned Teen Hoping the Best,
- Blondi -
ruby

Post by ruby »

Youth dances have been going on in the Tyrone community for as long as I can remember. I also remember a time when the police patroled after those dances. We never thought of doing anything on the way to, during or after the dances because we knew we were being watched somewhere. I don't even know who sponsored the dances that we had but there was never any trouble, of course it was a different time. I believe that the problem lies mostly with the group that is sponsoring the dances. They need to have more responsible adults who can give great supervision. Most parents sent their kids there thinking they are being taken care of while in the hands of the Citizens Fire Hall. I can tell you that I have a son who won't go because of all the trouble down there. I don't hold the kids resonsible, its probably just a handful ruining it for all the many others.
Summer is coming and there is nothing for the youth of this town to do. Those that aren't into sports have nothing. They can't sit and talk without being accused of doing something wrong. When a child hears that they are "bad and worthless" long enough they are bound to act on it.
Lets give the youth of our town something to do. When you see a group of them ask them what the town needs to make them happy. And I don't mean to gather a group of kids together that you never see out and about town, talk to the ones that are on the streets with nothing to do they are the ones we need to hear from.
Concerned

Dances

Post by Concerned »

I have a question regarding the councils decision to stop the dances. Are the dances really the problem? Teenagers do not buy the alcohol there. In fact, they get it from people who sell to under-agers. It has nothing to do with the dances. Either way, the drinking will continue. Would you rather have them come into town where you can find them and help them, or be out in the woods somewhere partying where you may not be able to find them until it's to late? Without the dances, teenagers will have much more time to go party on the weekends. The dances are somewhere for teens to go out and have fun dancing and hanging out with friends. Also, the fights will not stop. People fight because they think they are tuff and it's not because of the dances. I guarantee the fighting will not stop. There are plenty of other places for them to go fight. At least when it's in town. they can be caught.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
A Concerned Teenager
Dances 2

Citizens Dances

Post by Dances 2 »

You want to stop the dances on Friday nights at the firehall. What else is there in this town for us to do. I mean the SKATEPARK that you (the mayor) have promised us has never happened. We help you to clean up this town and got nothing out of it. now you want to take the dances away from us to. You know someday we will be in charge of this town and were not going to want to do anything for the older people because its all of them that are giving us noting to do now. There is nothing wrong with the dances when theres a problem we call the police it seems to me like the police don't want to do there job. Hammy and Chewdog are doing everything they can to help keep the teens of Tyrone out of trouble and off the streets i think that there doing you a big favor because if they didn't have the dances for us to go to i know there would be more teens complaining about haveing nothing to do.. well you wonder why there is a drug problem well did you ever think that its the only thing for them to do. I don't understand why the dances are such a problem when theres a problem they call the police it sounds like the right thing to do to me if its not than why don't you explain the right thing to do just because the cops don't want to be botherd by the phone calls that are made to them by Chris and Matt (Chewdog and Hammy)
bae517

citizen dances

Post by bae517 »

I have to agree with these postings. The Borough Council is totally handling this situation in the wrong way. Instead of forcing the Citizens firehall to discontinue the dances, they should be working with the firehall officials to solve this problem. More chaperones for the dances, police drivebys to deter theyouth from causing trouble and a zero-tolerance for any youth caught drinking or fighting. Take these kids home to their parents and have their parents handle their children. Parents need to be aware of what their children are doing and they MUST be made to be responsible for what their child does. My child attends those dances and she does not attend drunk nor does she smoke or fight. She is plenty mad at the other kids who has ruined it for everyone else. The Council is turning this town into a senior citizen community, forcing our young people to leave when they can. In an election year, It surprises me that the current council has done this. Talking to other parents about this, they say they do not support the Mayor nor her council. We need people who care about the youth of this community not the elderly. The youth are the future of this community not the elderly. And if I recall correctly, there were fights and drinking back in the good old days. Figure out a solution instead of sweeping the problem under the rug.

dances

Post by guest »

I think it is a shame that the dances are canceled,all kids in Tyrone are not bad or get in trouble.I am sad that the town will bend over backwards for the old people and do nothing for the kids which are the future of Tyrone.No I am not a teen,I am a middle age father of two teenage boys.I am not saying that the elderly don't deserve to be taken care of,but come on people wake up.
concerned

Youth Dances

Post by concerned »

I feel that Tyrone Borough Council has handled the Citizens Firehall Youth dances all wrong. I also feel that if they worked with the Firemen and designated a certain number of youth as helpers the problem may lessen. Have rules that no dance participants are allowed outside until the dances end. Allow no one in after a certain time. Have Firemen with radios patrolling the outside perimeters. Have Tyrone Police investigate where the 12 and 14 year olds are obtaining liquor. And make more parents responsible for their children.

thursday night

Post by Guest »

what about the busted out windows on thursday night??? was that a dance night? dont think it was, can we still blame that on the dances?
Chewdog

the dances

Post by Chewdog »

hello to everyone... i would like to say thanx for helping us try to keep them going lol... i have something to ask... the Bellwood pool is ran by the TYRONE YMAC ... how come the tyrone pool will not do a splash hop.. the bellwood pool is so much smaller then the tyrone pool!!!! i belive its bad the kids of tyrone can not even have a splash hop.... they have to go to bellwood when we have a pool in tyrone..... we asked the tyrone pool about holding them they told us... that they do not like to have that many people at the pool.. now if anyone can like tell me whats up with this it would be nice

thank u
Chewdog[/quote][/code]
SICK OF HEARING YOUR $HIT

CHEWDOG

Post by SICK OF HEARING YOUR $HIT »

MAYBE THEY SAID THAT BECAUSE THE LAST THING THEY WANT IS THE COPS NEEDING TO BE CALLED ALL THE TIME TO COME TO THE POOL. PLUS WITH ALL THE DAMAGE THE KIDS DID AT THE SOCIAL HALL IM SURE THEY WOULDNT WANT THAT EITHER. IVE NEVER HEARD YOU PLAY BUT IT SEEMS THE CROWD YOU BRING WITH YOUR SO CALLED DANCES BRINGS NOT SUCH A GOOD CROWD. TRY PLAYING AT PLACES THAT IS NOT FOR 10 YEAR OLDS AND LET THEM 10 YEAR OLDS HAVE FAMILY TIMES WITH THERE FAMILY. YOU GUYS MAKE SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF THE WHOLE THING AND NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID.....YOU HAD THE FIREHALL SHUT DOWN. QUIT BEING SUCH TROUBLE MAKERS AND LET IT GO. GET A LIFE AND DEAL WITH THINGS THAT A PERSON YOUR AGE SHOULD BE DOING.......NOT PLAYING WITH KIDS. IM SURE THE WHOLE TOWN IS SICK OF HEARING YOU AND HAMMY'S SMART *SS COMMENTS. WHEN WE HAD SPLASH HOPS THERE WAS AN AGE LIMIT THAT YOU HAD TO BE IN ABLE TO ENTER (IF I DO RECALL) HOW ABOUT SOME ADVICE.......GET A LIFE AND WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF NOT THE REST OF THE TOWN. AFTER ALL THE TROUBLE YOU HAVE CAUSED IM NOT SURE ANYONE WOULD LIKE YOU TO PLAY ANYWHERE........SO HOW ABOUT THAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Becky Emenhiser

Post by Becky Emenhiser »

Excuse me , buddy. My daughter attended every dance at the Citizens social hall. She is not part of you "bad crowd" and she does not drink, smoke or do drugs. I resent you labeling every kid that attended those dances as a bad crowd. There were some kids who caused problems, but Chewdog and Hammy called he cops on them. Which is what they should have done. The mayor and Borough shut down the Citizens ,NOT THE DEEJAYS! The Tyrone Police are just lazy and cant be bothered to police the dances. The police also have refused to do anything about the underage kids who are drinking in an apartment complex cause they're "tired of being called to handle those kids". Is that not their job???? If the police wont enforce the laws the kids will drink underage and cause trouble. The only laws the police will enforce are the laws concerning the City Hotel Park. Yippee....The only thing I agree with you about is there shouldve been an age limit. As for kids hanging with their parents...be real...14 -16 yearolds want to hang with their friends, dance and have a good time. Theyve spent their lives hanging with their parents. You need to face the facts that this Mayoy cares for the SENIOR CITIZENS and not the kids. Let the kids get addicted to herion as long as we have our park to sit in.
Door Man

Get your facts straight

Post by Door Man »

This is reply to Sick of hearing your ----. You need to get your facts straight about the Chewdog and Hammy show and the dances that were held at the Citizens Fire Company. The number one and most important thing to be said is that Fire Company did not go under due to the dances being held there on Friday Nights. There were to many other problems both Financial and Personal for that company to ever continue operating. This person also has no right to bash a couple of people that are trying to run a small business on the side, chewdog and hammy both work regular jobs. And to sit there and call a couple of guys that dedicated so much of there time to helping save lives and property in this community TROUBLE MAKERS. Maybe its you that needs to get a life.
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Get a life and worry about ourselves, and not this town??? Hmmm,,, I live here my whole life, I think I'm entitled to worry about this town, and come election time, I think there will be a lot of people that should worry about this town and decide whether or not we want to make Tyrone a Senior Center or the future of tomarrow. The damage done to the social wasn't as bad is the paper made it seem, yeah there was some little things, but when you have an average of 200 people week after week, things are sure to be damaged. Go to any bar, I'm sure that there has been damage done to that bar at some point and time, and being a bar, you must be over 21 to be there, so it's not just the kids, it is a fact that when you have a large number of people at one place, week after week, some type of damage is sure to be done. About the 10 year olds and there family time, we did not go to there houses and force them to come to the dances, their family are the people that gave them permission to come. The age limit was under 21, and if someone didn't want there 10 year old son or daughter to come, they probaly didn't come. It was up to the parents or gardeins to wether or not they wanted their kids to come. We didn't make a big deal about this and get the firehall shut down, we made a big deal about this, because it is what we believed in, and we have that right. Maybe you need to have something to believe in. The firehall was shut down because of money problems. There was a few of us who wanted and tryed to raise money to save the firehall, and for that we a put down. How about the couple members that quit right before they shut us down, that in my opinion was the final nail that shut the door? Is that the way we should have down it,, no no,,, I have grown to love being a member of the Citizens. The mayor says there is alot of things for the kids in town to do, and I agree, but she has to realize that it has to be something the kids want to do. I will say that as far as Chewdog, the doorman, and I go, we have not gave up on the kids, and have no plans to. We will find a spot for you guys to dance. So if that labels us trouble makers, then I will proudly wear that label. At least we are not affraid to let peolpe know who we are. So sick of the sh*t, go back to your childhood, remember anything you loved to do. What would you have done if someone steped in and said you can't do it anymore.... Thanks for your time. Hammy
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

I know 2 great DJ's and a doorman/manager that are more than willing to host a free back to school youth dance down town or in the YMCA parking lot... If the Mayor would alow this I could almost Guarantee that there would be some elvis played for the young at heart, just the way she likes it. If you are wondering who the DJ's are, you can check them out at Geocities.com/chewdogandhammy

We do miss rocking with you guys