where should they put the new Motel/Hotel

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Beck

where should they put the new Motel/Hotel

Post by Beck »

Okay.. I read in the paper yesterday that the 900 block is no longer available for the Motel/Hotel... They said there will be one in Tyrone so does anyone have any suggestions where... or why.... or maybe why not! I think we have talked about this before but since "it is going to happen" maybe we need to discuss it once again..
Blain

Post by Blain »

They should put it out of its misery.
jayestewart
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jayestewart »

I think a hotel/motel would be great where the current Lincoln School stands.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I think it would be best where Morris Levine is now in that area.... highly visible to I-99, walking distance to downtown business/eataries.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

banksy wrote:I think it would be best where Morris Levine is now...
Didn't he move out to Altoona, in the old Toy Warehouse location a few years back?
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

It's the ShoeFly in the plaza behind Red Lobster.
Beck

Post by Beck »

The Shoefly is Levines. It all belongs to Todd Lewis... I think H & R Block is in the Levines store now until Tax season is over, which will be soon!!
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

Actually its Jackson Hewitt that is in the old Levine's building, H&R Block is across the street closer to the old F&M building.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Thanks for the correction.. you can tell I don't take my taxes at those places!!!
baggyman

Not to worry...

Post by baggyman »

...about the motel being seen from the freeway. They are sure to erect an 80 foot Pylon sign to rival the mill's smoke-stack. Everyone will know Tyrone by the stack on one end and pylon on the other, and point as they blow by on their way to Altoona or State College.

I'm all for more business in Tyrone, and a motel might bring a smidgen to the downtown area (almost only during football season) but I don't agree that this idea has been thought through, without bias, for the good of the town. What the h*ll is all this talk about "historical value" of buildings infused with the idea of a mediocre motel that just won't fit in with the scheme. It sounds like pork-barrel politics to me. Why aren't we all pursuing "clean"industry for the area? The industrial age is OVER for America. We're all lost in a time warp here and need to change or perish. Technology: electronic, genetic, micro-mechanical, etc. That's where America is at right now. The only areas of the country that are growing and prospering are the areas that develop this sort of industry. Academic areas, like State College, supply the brain-power and California, New York, Florida, Arizona, forward-thinking states with forward-thinking leaders are gobbling them up to run their new industries. Pittsburgh made the change from steel to techno-industry, why can't Tyrone.

A MOTEL...??? Give me a break! Can't we think a little bigger, and maybe a little out-of-the-box? It's only our town and our kids and grand-kids at stake. Move the damned thing to Irish Flats or something.

just my 2 cents...
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

All I am saying is that when I come home and need a hotel, I say in Altoona. Going outside the box might also mean you need a hotel to support whatever else you bring in. When thinking outside the box, don't limit the idea to just a hotel. This doesn't have to be a hote and nothing else.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Very true, it shouldn't be the thinking of Hotel or else, but the blind (Stoner) leading the blind (Council) has the only thing on the mind is the hotel.

While we are thinking out of the box, where do you propose for this high tech business to go in Tyrone? There isn't anything open unless you do eminent domain and bulldoze half of Pa. Ave. Not that it doesn't need it.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Well we already have a High Tech business on Penna Ave...
If you remember we have Reclamere in the old A&P building...What would be wrong with something where the Villa used to be???