News Flash!

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Blain

News Flash!

Post by Blain »

News Flash!

According to current Undercover-Stealth-Mayor-Puppet Master Pat Stoner, the appearance of downtown sidewalks are more important than allowing a business owner to build a ramp to make his store handicapped-accessable and ADA compliant.

The Municipal Building needs an enema.
LKS

Re: News Flash!

Post by LKS »

you can blame that on the ones that voted for her the first and second time
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Harlow »

That is a shocker.

I bet her puppets Werner, Latchford, Grazier, Bryan and Kilmartin were sinking praise to Stoner when they voted no.
LKS

yes or no

Post by LKS »

although tyrone is my "hometown" with family there....whether they voted yes or no, she or they still do what they want......and why do you care, your dad lived on the outskirts along with you....sinking valley
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Okay call me dumb but what is this all about?
Blain

Post by Blain »

http://www.altoonamirror.com/articles.asp?articleID=866

Not sure how much longer the link above will be active.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Blain wrote:http://www.altoonamirror.com/articles.asp?articleID=866

Not sure how much longer the link above will be active.
Just in case...
Store owner loses his bid to add ramp
Tyrone officials: Slope to aid disabled doesn’t coincide with streetscape design
By Greg Bock, gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE — Handicapped-access ramps do not fit the concept of streetscape, Tyrone’s former mayor told its zoning board.

The board unanimously agreed that Paul Mahoney, owner of Puff N Snuff at 978 Pennsylvania Ave., should not be allowed to build a wooden ramp to make his store compliant with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

“I just think it’s wrong, and I’m going to push it to the limit,” Mahoney told the three-member board after it rejected his request for a variance to the borough setback ordinance.

He told board members they were more interested in how the town looked than compliance with state and federal law, or allowing people with disabilities to have access to his store.

He also said the borough received a setback variance from the same board when it constructed an external handicapped-access ramp to the municipal building six years ago.

The issue already has hurt Mahoney. He lost his license to sell Pennsylvania Lottery tickets this year after he was denied permission to build the ramp alongside the building where he leases a storefront at Pennsylvania Avenue and 10th Street.

Former Mayor Pat Stoner said streetscape’s purpose was to make downtown more pedestrian and cycling friendly.

“We’re going to see a precedent and see these things popping up all over,” Stoner said in reference to the ramps. “We can say what’s on our sidewalks.”

Before Mahoney was denied permission to build the ramp, borough officials told him he needed PennDOT’s permission because it would include state right of way, which starts about one foot from the building.

But when he obtained permission, Mahoney was told that the borough couldn’t grant a building permit because the project spanned two property lines, and that was against borough code.

The borough has suggested that Mahoney put the ramp inside the store, an idea suggested Monday by board member Judith Duey.

But Mahoney said building an internal ramp would extend more than 14 feet into the small tobacco store, making it not feasible.

He said he didn’t like the ADA requirements, but because lottery outlets are required to meet those standards, he had to comply
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Yes I was fortunate enough not to live in the Borough. Yes my Dad lived in Sinking Valley and now lives still outside the Borough.

When I was editor of the paper, I had to deal with all the stuff that goes on at the Municipal Building or as Dan Meckes calls it the Logan Ave. Kremlin.

A business trying to keep itself in good graces with the lottery commission should trump the "Beautification" of downtown.

If you want to beautify Tyrone, bulldoze half of PA Avenue and put a tarp up so you can't see the back side of town from the Bypass.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I was under the assumption that everyone on this board was allowed an opinion. Silly me! I did not know you had to reside in the Borough to voice it!
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

This is another instance of Her Highness in her hypocritical mode.

A quote in Greg Bock's Mirror article -- Former Mayor Pat Stoner said streetscape’s purpose was to make downtown more pedestrian and cycling friendly.

I have seen her yell at kids for riding their bikes on the sidewalks. I believe that it is even a ticketable offense in Tyrone.

Lets make the sidewalks pedestrian friendly, but not handicapped accessible.

Where is Mayor Kilmartin in this debate???
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

That is totally pathetic! Stoner is a nut! Why is she worrying about dressing up the town instead of getting more businesses in it. Anyone can giftwrap an empty box but it is still empty.
Kbowden

Post by Kbowden »

You talk about how to beautify Tyrone by bulldozing half of Pa Ave & put up a tarp so no one can see the back side. Yes some of those buildings are old & need help and yes some should be bulldozed, but growing up in Tyrone in the 60's-70's those buildings meant alot and alot of families lived and probably still do live in some of those you want to bulldoze.What is with the tarp, are you ashamed of your town? I've been up, down and around alot of interstates and have seen much worse than Tyrone from the interstate. PA Ave was Tyrone at one point, it was a great downtown with stores & shops. Shame on those who could not keep it up! I'm proud to be from Tyrone, Tarp or no Tarp and here in Florida we really can use all those tarps at hurricane time. So don't use them to cover our town...Be Proud!!!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

KBowden, I think his point went totally over your head. Being proud is one thing, but the backside of those buildings are pathetic. I don't think anything other than the store fronts are being used at all. The backside of a tarp would look much better than rotting wood and delapadated fire escapes.

It would look very nice of those buildings could be restored. Someone like the Long Brothers would probably do it, but the jealousy of a lot would push them out as well.
sailorjim

Post by sailorjim »

As a disabled vet i must say that our civic leaders have dropped the ball again, with this handicap ramp. they sure like the new sidewalks but dont care what the falling down "historic" buildings look like. look at the YMCA. then they talk about Hamer's garage? just one poor decision after another. Long live Queen Pat and the Earl's of exlax. :lol:
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

I am also a (service-connected) disabled veteran, and if I encountered a significant and preventable hinderence because a business is not in compliance with an ADA requirement because the local municipality PREVENTED the MANDATED corrective actions - I would SUE THE MUNICIPALITY. In this particular case, I would recognize that the business itself has ATTEMPTED to take corrective actions. Many folks may not see it that way, and sue ALL parties involved in the dispute.

Does Tyrone still have a borough solicitor (attorney)?

Do Tyrone officials understand the term "vicarious liability"?

If I understand the situation correctly, it appears to expose the taxpayers of Tyrone to the potential to be FINANCIALLY PENALIZED for a poor decision by certain officials.

Here is the link to a story here in South Carolina that should inform folks about how serious of a problem this is, and what will probably happen back in Tyrone sometime in the future if this situation is not PROPERLY addressed and resolved:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/my ... 414920.htm