Tyrone Hospital---Save me from that place:

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
jayestewart
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jayestewart »

I have not had much experience with the Tyrone hospital except we used to go over there and use the vending machines after school while we waited on our bus. However as I said before, the hospital has great value to the communities surrounding Tyrone. Ask the folks around the region that could not or would not support their hospital and now don't have one in their town...Philipsburg comes to mind as the latest one who lost their hospital. I just wonder if anyone out there reads these blogs and could comment what that has down to the quality of life in that community.
Leep

Post by Leep »

I applaud the post from the new nurse, but that is to be expected as nurses are trusted, according to many surveys, more than the doctors they front for. In fact, there have been many people saved by nurses who caught wrong prescriptions, wrong doses, wrong medications and fixed them before they became dangerous or fatal.
I have nothing but respect for nurses. My daughter works for the hospital here in Butte as a Phlebotomist (Sp?)
And she is very well liked and respected as are most of the others on the front line.
But the nurses are but the front line of defense, after the patient moves on to the doctor then their powers are limited.
Leep Out:
Concerned Nurse

Post by Concerned Nurse »

:D Thank you again. First, I would like to comment on the closing of the Philipsburg Hospital. It is quite a sad situation. A community of comparable size without a hospital. I have several family members who live in that vicinity that once utilized that hospital. They now have to travel quite a distance for emergent care.
Which brings me to the subject of the "Golden Hour." This is a term we use quite often in the ER. For those unfamiliar with the term, it is the first sixty minutes after the occurrence of major trauma. A person must receive rapid treatment within the first sixty minutes to increase the chances of survival. This does not only pertain to trauma, but also heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms, and the list goes on.
With the closure of Philipsburg Hospital, several people are left with great distances to travel for care. Especially in the outlying areas. It may take an hour for an ambulance crew to reach a patient, 15 minutes to attempt to stabilize, and another hour or so to transport to the nearest facility. That person's chance of survival or to restore the quality of life as previous is slim to none. They have Clearfield, State College, and Tyrone Hospital to utilize. Like I said it can be quite a distance for some. Now lets take this into perspective. Tyrone Hospital closes its doors. Our community will be in the same predicament as Philipsburg. Where do we go? Altoona or JC Blair? Still it is a lengthy travel for emergent care. Especially when there is a hospital in your backyard. This is a matter of life or death folks. I understand that there are larger facilities available with wider options of care, but we need our small community hospitals. We are capable of caring for those emergencies that arise, and if the need to transport for further care for services that we can not provide then so be it.
I care a great deal about our hospital, as you can tell I just ramble on.
Leep your daughter's profession is very respectable. She is in the front line with us nurses.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day!
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Is there a "Save Our Hospital" organization in Tyrone or some organization which raises funds for the hospital?