Bored Kids and Complaining People

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Bored Kids and Complaining People

Post by banksy »

Well, we have seen quite a bit of activity of the subjects of children being bored and drug addiction. For the most part though, little brainstorming has been done. Let me through a hypothetical at those of us who are monitoring these boards.

1. Given the ability to add anything to Tyrone, what would you add to give the kids something to do? Forget about the economics, simply state ideas.
banksy
MVP Member

Ideas

Post by banksy »

Now that the question has been asked, here are a few of the ideas I have thought of which I think could enhance the Tyrone Area quite a bit.

1. Small theatre such as the Garman Theatre in Bellefonte. The theatre regularly gets first run movies and provides a place for not only teenages, but parents, singles, etc as well to go. It also enhances the restaurants in the Boro.

2. Sports Themed Eating- Big screen TV's, wings, food, beer for those over 21, online trivia, huge game room, minature golf, go-cart track, homemade icecream. This would allow not only teenagers to have a place to go, but also adults.
ruby

Post by ruby »

I've been watching the kids in town and also asking some what they would like to see in Tyrone. Most tell me that they just want a place they can go to and not get chased out of. Its not even that they want to do anything but hang out. I know that it was mentioned in the paper the other day that the plans for a skate park were moving along and I think that will help a great deal. Alot of the kids skate, many ride bikes and some roller blade. For those that don't do any of those they will go and watch and meet up with friends there.
Today was sidewalk days in Tyrone and there were so many kids there. They were out on their bikes just having a great time and being very well behaved. Last year I mentioned to the Mayor about having some music in the park and down at the "corner Park" for the youth. Tyrone has many talented bands that I'm sure would love to come and play for the kids. Make it only an hour long like they do for Sunday in the park and for once let the youth be able to enjoy things, and also give our local talent a chance to show off what they are doing. I was hoping to see that happen but once again when the schedules were out there was no music there for the youth!
Who do you voice your opinions to, and have them heard and taken to heart?
banksy
MVP Member

You want to see a diference...

Post by banksy »

...vote for Bill Fink when the elections roll in. This guy will listen to what you have to say an dnot just flood the town with his perception of what it should be.
Door Man

Bored kids and Complaining People

Post by Door Man »

The Chewdog and Hammy Show are willing to give a free youth dance down town, this was even brought to the mayors attention. We will see if anything comes of this, or will it be the same thing as the other youth dances. They do not want to see to many of Tyrones Youth gathering in one place together.
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

Wow I was looking over discussions from 2003 and it looks like the town was having the same discussions four years ago as we are having today. This town seems to be full of good ideas but lacks people who do anything with the ideas. "Lets stop talking about these things and actually do something." This statement even had to be made at some of the "Christian" meetings where people had good ideas.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
billm

Post by billm »

wow -- alot of youth opportunity previously existed in town that was left to go to degradation in favor of better sidewalks, signs and parking meters.
How quickly we forget the abandoned Y building, full of youth activies, sports, theater, and more. Rather than put funding and opportunity right into town, some felt best to put that into things to "attract" business. Well, where is that business?
Meanwhile, other investors put money into a facilty toward bellwood (a nice facility, don't get me wrong) but doesn't help out some families who cannot get there.

Not to be too cynical - there is plenty of opportunity for youth and PARENTS to be involved. Alot of sports opportunity, the Tyrone Community Players are in the midst of a children's theater production, and not to mention many mentionings of church based activities that are posted on this website.

The key is parental involvement. and responsibility for the right choices and actions.

done preaching -- keep up the good work to those who are taking the initiative to do something. If you're just talking about it, it isn't enough.
MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

Apathy is one thing. Not caring is another.
If I had unlimited funds and parental uninvolvement being as it is, I would build an *ss kicking machine for the bored youth of Tyrone . I would place it in the City Hotel Park with a large sign that could be read from I-99. The sign would say, "X bored butts kicked today."
I think pretty quickly the children would find ways to occupy themselves. And if they didn't, they could always go downtown and watch some kids getting their butts kicked.
So, it's a win-win.
Bubbanardo_Da_Vinci

Post by Bubbanardo_Da_Vinci »

Loitering. That's a paddlin.
Cruising. That's a paddlin.
Eliminating the music program. That's definitely a paddlin.

Leep

Post by Leep »

Well, when we were growing up , no one had a computer and few people even had a T.V.
Guess where almost every kid alive spent their time..Outside, doing what you ask, "Playing'" Sports, swimming in the quarries, playing baseball, softball, riding our bikes...Mowing lawns..shoveling the coal from the yard to the coal bin..
I'm sure you can come up with at least a dozen other examples...
I hesitate to tell this one on myself...but I will. We hadn't had a television for very long and I was watching the Three Stooges and having a great time. Finally Mom yelled into the living room and told me to turn that d*mn thing off and go out and play for awhile..
I reluctantly turned it off and went out and found some friends to play baseball at the old Gris Mill in Ironsville..
When I got back hours later and turned on the T.V. I was angered that the Three Stooges weren't on..Mom said what the heck are you in there going on about?
I said the Three Stooges aren't on, I said un uh, I turned it off..
She said, "What"? I said it should start back up again where I turned it off. Ah, what she said after that I can't write here. :D
hey, we just got the darned thing and i was young and i figured that if i shut it off, it stopped right where i turned off the power..

Still seems like it should work 40 some years later... :P

Leep:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Leep... think Tivo
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

banksy wrote:Leep... think Tivo
Right after my wife and kids, it is my favorite family friend. Also like the ability to lock out levels of programming for my 'lil ones...

OK, I'll admit it, I also enjoy spongebob....

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

My two youngest spend most of their time on the swing set, the sandbox, and Twice a week, at soccer. I'm sure as they get older (now 5 and 6) we will find many more things to do outside of the living room.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Ray I.

Post by Ray I. »

[quote="Bubbanardo_Da_Vinci"]Loitering. That's a paddlin.
Cruising. That's a paddlin.
Eliminating the music program. That's definitely a paddlin.

You may have said alot more than you think with that statement.I think back to when "Iwas a boy", we were allowed to cruise and to hang out and to just be kids. Then along comes the NO CRUISING signs and the NO LOITERING signs like that was going to stop somthing terrible from happening. All that did was drive the youth to go somewhere and do something else. You took something away and didn't replace that void with anything.
Anyone can start up an activity or a business to attract the youth but, the next thing you know there are fights and the place gets broken up and people get sued 'cause their little angel got hurt. I ,for one, don't think any of the "old" ideas will work for this generation of kids. Instant gratification is the way they see life. Can't wait on a fish to bite, can't wait on an animal to shoot (sorry PETA) ,can't wait on any one of us to get up and DO somethimg. So they find things to do themselves. ie DRUGS. I would like to extend an invitation, to any one, to the Tyrone Sportsmen Association. We have an annual Field Day where youth as well as adults can come for the day to try their had at shooting and fishing. September 16th this year.We like to start the kids out early, teaching them to enjoy the outdoors and making it a family outing.
Poo

Post by Poo »

I think an arcade would be a good idea, (providing that the owner could handle the kids). Kids seem like they could use a place to just hang out with other kids. Just a place where they could play video games, maybe shoot some pool or darts, play air hockey, etc...
I just think that we had places to go to "just hang out"; they should to. Think of all the places that used to be kid friendly: the old Sheetz had a couple of video games, Mario's had some, and then we had the bowling alley which also had some games and a pool table as well, which is now a dollar store. The only place now fo go to just hang out like this is at Delgrosso's Park, unless I'm mistaken? :mrgreen:
"Forgive your enemies; it messes with their heads."
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Just to point out: this coming Thursday, this thread/discussion will be 4 years old.

However, I think it could have just as suitably been started 14 years ago, 24 years ago, etc.