Tyrone Immigration Ordinance?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
zapatista

Tyrone Immigration Ordinance?

Post by zapatista »

I heard that the Tyrone Borough Council is considering an Immigration Ordinance similar to Altoona's.
Anyone know if that's true?
I sure hope not.
Immigrants built this country.
It shouldn't matter if they're illegal or not.
My 2 cents.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

agreed 100%
Leep

Post by Leep »

Virtually every immigrant that came over on the boats were LEGAL immigrants.. That modifier seems to escape a lot of people.
And, there was a LOT more country here then, it was virtually empty...
There is only so much land and we are fast filling up. Mexico has a very strict policy on immigration on their borders,especially on their southern borders. It is go directly to jail, and you don't collect 100$. The use their military to police their borders then scream when we put a few National Guardsmen on our porous borders.
We are and always have been a nation of laws and it has served us well these many years.
Now, some people believe these laws can and should be scoffed at, ignored..
Well, I for one, believe there are laws for a reason, and if you do not like them, work to change them. But, over 78% of the American people do not want unfettered borders and an even higher percentage insist that our laws be obeyed and that our borders be policed.
We have a very generous immigration policy and many good people follow this.
But, countless millions do not and the overwhelming percentage of criminals now residing in our prisons are illegal aliens. And, a very high percentage of crime today is committed by these illegal aliens.
The (black) crime lords in south Los Angeles will not venture forth into those area claimed by illegal Mexican and South American gangs, from simple fear...
The level of violence practiced there upon others and their own amazes even those that once felt they were the baddest on the block...
A young service man just back from his second tour in Iraq was killed, along with his fiance', by an illegal alien, Mexican, who had been arrested already numerous times.
When they do bother to deport them, they just turn around and waltz right back in, sneering at our lax enforcement of our existing laws..
He had been stopped for numerous traffic violations, along with a couple more serious, and had never even been kicked out
The system is not just flawed, it is broken, and the sooner we deal with it, as a nation, the better off we will all be, including those that came here legally and put in the time and effort to become citizens.
Just my opinion...

Leep out:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

78% might not want those illegals, and the same 78% won't work in the fields picking lettuce either.... so who else is gonna do it. These illegals do the jobs we need done that nobody else in America really wants to do.

Tell the Native Americans that those people who came over a long time ago weren't illegals. Perhaps you are right.... we should not let these illegals in... they could do what our ancestors did and murder a culture.
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

Leep wrote:... the overwhelming percentage of criminals now residing in our prisons are illegal aliens. And, a very high percentage of crime today is committed by these illegal aliens.
The (black) crime lords in south Los Angeles will not venture forth into those area claimed by illegal Mexican and South American gangs, from simple fear...
Wow! Thanks for laying it out in such simple, "black and white" terms.

That's the same tired argument that was used against the Irish, Italians and all the other "legal" immigrants back in the 19th century.

Here's a quote from the Chicago Post (circa 1850) :
"The Irish fill our prisons, our poor houses...Scratch a convict or a pauper, and the chances are that you tickle the skin of an Irish Catholic. Putting them on a boat and sending them home would end crime in this country."
http://www.kinsella.org/history/histira.htm

Fact is, the majority of the immigrants from South America are hard working people that drive much of this nations infrastructure.

Instead of demonizing them we need to figure out a way to integrate them into our society.
Then they can enjoy the full benefits of citizenship ... like income taxes. :D
kthompson

Post by kthompson »

As far as I am concerned, no human is illegal, and there is that of God in everyone. Its just too bad that we cannot find a way to just live together - thats the problem we need to solve.
Uncle Vito

Legal residency

Post by Uncle Vito »

As long as I'm paying the bill for their house (section 8), drug rehab (MA card), food (free school lunch/breakfast/dinner), and transportation (SEPTA, AMTRAN); I DO NOT think that it is too much to ask that they be legal residents of our fine commonwealth. Why has it become such a sin to hold people accountable for their actions? If they do not wish to assimilate- go home.
zapatista

Amnesty

Post by zapatista »

Uncle Vito wrote:I DO NOT think that it is too much to ask that they be legal residents of our fine commonwealth.
I agree with Uncle Vito... total amnesty for all illegal's would be a great first step! It happened in 86 under Reagan. It could happen again.

But back to local politics.... What do you think we should do to persuade Borough Council to table consideration of any ordinances that discriminate against illegal aliens?
Leep

Post by Leep »

Illegal aliens-- first you begin a discussion with that modifier, then ask how we can accommodate them.
I never tire of the opinions from those with the small town mentality. I grew up in Tyrone lest anyone think this is some kind of insult..
The idea that no one will do those "field" jobs holds some substance. but to infer that "We" will not do those jobs because they are beneath us is disingenuous, they simply do not pay well enough to attract many of "us". Why you ask breathlessly, because the big companies that own these crop "circles" do not pay well enough to attract "Us', for the most part.
Why, because they flaunt the laws also and pay slave wages. Why again, because our corrupt government allows it.

The argument that this is the same argument used against the "Legal" argument shares the same distinction and association with disingenuous...
The modifier being "Legal" Perhaps that was an attempt at sarcasm or maybe an honest mistake in terminology.

I am astonished that some are still upset at what happened to the "Indians' here...
Indians killed many more Indians than any "American" ever did.
I agree that we removed their food source, but there you are..

The Indian never "Owned' any land-even before the introduction of the horse, which they stole from the Spaniards initially.
And even after the introduction of the horse they became even more transient...nomadic, if you will-even if you won't...

Before the Indians, as we know them roamed the western lands, the eastern tribes notwithstanding, they took those lands from those that came before them..They weren't the first ones there......
Who weeps for them and their lost culture...
And the example citing the "Field jobs" to get back to that for a moment, the ones I am talking about bear little resemblance to those that come here in hordes at night and take up residence in our border towns and suck up the resources of those towns/cities.
Invariably, every border town/city is millions of dollars in the red because the illegal aliens have used up all available monies for their trips to the emergency rooms and because "We" the taxpayers foot the bill for their education, their food stamps, their low cost housing. A lot of these places are in dire straits now due to the overwhelming costs associated with these people.
Emotion and caring are all well and good, but that is usually because none of it has affected you and your pocketbook yet.
Ah well---good discussion topic anyway..
Leep out"
SMOKEJUMPER

imigrants

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

I for one would like to see all the illegal immigrants return home. if the want to be in this country there is a right way and a wrong way and they they are doing it is wrong. this way is a slap in the face to every immigrant that came to this country to become a U.S. citizen. they work hard and pay taxes, the illigals dont. SSI and other programs are running out because these people aren't paying there share. 1 million plus people x lost taxes = and you figure it out. and this fine country wants to for give them all of there debts and unpaid taxes. try and get the IRS to forget your taxes for one year and see what happens. And as for the jobs that the immigrants do there are many people on welfare that are bucking the system and are sucking that system dry and people that need it cant get it. the federal goverment has already put this country on waring that we need to cut the number of people on welfare PENN. and CAL. are the highest on the list with the most on welfare . If these states dont cut the number on it by 50 percent the could lose part if not all of there federal monies. so picking lettuce would be a good job for these people. :twisted:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

banksy wrote: These illegals do the jobs we need done that nobody else in America really wants to do.
I totally disagree with that. The illegal aliens are doing the jobs for many business owners who want to pay the lowest wage possible in order for a job to be done.

It's not because Americans won't do the work. It's because most Americans want to be fairly compensated for the work. And many business owners don't want to pay that. After all, isn't that why many corporations have moved across the Rio Grande? For CHEAP LABOR!

And it isn't cheap to survive in the USA. Well, it is if you are an illegal alien getting free health care, among many other things.

An American dollar south of the Rio has more value than an American dollar in the USA. Which is exactly why many illegals are sending their much of their paychecks back home. Be it work money or drug money. A lot of their "earnings" aren't staying in the USA.

http://www.numbersusa.com
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Well the ordinances may be a way to protect the resources of your community. Here in Florida we have no such ordinances. We are in need of the services these immigrants provide however we have found a greater need for classrooms, increased ESOL strategies, bilingual staff and other social services as many of these people live paycheck to paycheck. Perhaps your leaders are making a choice that they don't want to reallocate their resources to provide the services that are needed when large populations of illegal immigrants come into a community. Someone has to pay the bill and folks in charge are responsible for deciding where the dollars are spent. Just a thought.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Raids in 6 states met with anger, cheers

By KIM NGUYEN, Associated Press Writer
Wed Dec 13, 8:44 AM ET

GREELEY, Colo. - Outside a meatpacking plant fence, a frustrated Tony Garcia watched as Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents swarmed inside to arrest illegal immigrants suspected in an identity-theft scheme.

"We need help," he yelled. "We need answers."

But most of his questions Tuesday had to wait. No names were released, and authorities did not say how many people were arrested. There was only the sight of dozens of workers being taken to law enforcement buses as agents swept through Swift & Co. plants in six states.

At the Swift plant in Grand Island, Neb., as many as 250 workers from a shift of more than 600 were detained, local union spokesman Mike Mary told The Washington Post.

In Colorado, Garcia worried about the schoolchildren whose parents were arrested at the Swift plant in Greeley.

"Who is going to pick them up?" he asked.

The raids followed a 10-month investigation into illegal immigrants suspected of buying or stealing other people's identities to secure U.S. jobs. The scheme may have had hundreds victims, officials said. (BUT LET'S OFFER ILLEGALS AMNESTY!?!?)

Immigration officials last month informed Swift that it would remove unauthorized workers on Dec. 4, but Swift asked a federal judge to prevent agents from conducting the raid, arguing it would cause "substantial and irreparable injury" to its business.

The company estimated a raid would remove up to 40 percent of its 13,000 workers. Greeley-based Swift describes itself as the world's second-largest meat processor with sales of about $9 billion. (HAVING CHEAP, ILLEGAL LABOR PROBABLY CONTRIBUTED GREATLY TO THEIR PROFIT MARGIN!)

After a closed hearing, a judge on Thursday rejected Swift's request, clearing the way for Tuesday's raids at the plants in Greeley; Grand Island; Cactus, Texas; Hyrum, Utah; Marshalltown, Iowa; and Worthington, Minn.

The six plants represent all of Swift's domestic beef processing capacity and 77 percent of its pork processing capacity.

Advocates of stricter immigration control praised the raids and pointed out that they targeted people suspected of committing other crimes in addition to being in the U.S. illegally.

"I'm glad that ICE is enforcing our immigration laws in light of the illegal immigration crisis we face across the country," Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., said in a statement.

Others called the raids heavy-handed and criticized the effect on families.

"They are taking mothers and fathers, and we're really concerned about the children," said the Rev. Clarence Sandoval of St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church in Logan, Utah. "I'm getting calls from mothers saying they don't know where their husband was taken."

United Food and Commercial International Workers union spokeswoman Jill Cashen told the Post workers taken from the Worthington, Minn., plant were bused to South Dakota.

She said Tuesday that attorneys for the union would ask federal judges in all six states for injunctions to halt the raids.

Mexico's Foreign Relations Department also pledged to ensure that any Mexicans caught up in the raids have "their human rights fully respected, and are given all the necessary assistance, orientation and consular protection." (MEXICO WANTS US LAWS ENFORCED AFTER ILLEGALS GET BUSTED, BUT NOT BEFOREHAND!)

No charges were filed against Swift. (WHICH IS A MAJOR PART OF THE PROBLEM! CORPORATIONS NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!)

In a written statement, President and CEO Sam Rovit said the company has never knowingly hired illegal workers and does not condone the practice. (DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT?!?!)

Swift uses a government pilot program to confirm whether Social Security numbers are valid. Company officials have raised questions about the program's ability to detect when two people are using the same number.

Immigration agents have also staged immigration raids at poultry plants in the South. In July 2005, nearly 120 people were arrested at an Arkadelphia, Ark., facility. Three months ago, agents raided a poultry plant in Stillmore, Ga., arresting a similar number who worked there or lived in surrounding counties and busing them to immigration courts in Atlanta, 189 miles away.
Leep

Post by Leep »

Jayes:

Not to be critical of your statement, but your attitude is one that exists virtually everywhere this problem exists. Well, gee those of us who do not want to reallocate our limited funds to accommodate
people who come into our country uninvited.
People who break our laws and thumb their noses at our very culture.
People who march in OUR streets waving the flag of Mexico and warning us they will strike and take all Mexicans with them.
But, I think we know how hollow that threat is...
If you and the people in your state made the decision to just shake your heads and say, "Well what can we do about it", so be it..
Then you will see your cities continue to deteriorate and your social structure will continue to evolve until you and all those that think your way will find yourselves changing to accommodate
their ways, their language..until America becomes , at least the America we grew up knowing and our fathers and grandfathers fought and died to keep, irrevocably changed..
It is already happening..
Now, as I said , this is not an attack on you and your beliefs. They are yours and you are entitled to them. And, I won't be around when the next generation takes charge...and for that I am almost thankful...
But, if there was any truth about people spinning in their graves, then every graveyard that houses our brave veterans and our people that held our principles all their lives, then it must look like some macabre carnival...
:?

Anyway...good post and those from you and others keep us informed as to what is happening elsewhere and where our country is going.
Take care:
Leep Out:
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

Mark my words muchacho's... one day soon you and your families will be dining at East End Taco's.

Fine ground bologna and cheese, smothered in sliced onion and lettuce, all nestled in a crunchy tortilla cradle.

Mmmmm, muy bueno!