the Mayor

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Mayor Kilmartin

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

Again, let me know who I am talking to.

Thanks,
geric3

A few answers

Post by geric3 »

As someone who has some previous knowledge of the YMCA and it's inner workings I think I can answer some of the posters questions.

1. The building has always been an interesting discussion. The land that the building sits on was donated by a local family many years ago. The building was constructed by the old Pennsylvania Railroad. As a matter of fact, if you remember, the supports in the ceiling of the gymnasium where nothing more then modified railroad tresses and supports. The building should belong to the Tyrone Area YMCA free and clear. The Board that made the decision to close the facility are those responsible for it's up keep and to maintain the facility until sold or demolished. In any non-profit company, the Board is liable for the business. They employ an executive to run the day to day operations on their behalf. From the articles that I have read on the website, it appears that Pete Dutrow is acting as the YMCA Board President, so that could be a place to start.

2. The YMCA building, as are many other buildings in Tyrone, are listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings (or at least I think that is what the list is called,) which has very specific guidelines as to how or if a building can be demolished. I can remember when the YMCA was talking about remodeling the Y in Tyrone and many of the roadblocks we hit were due to that list. That is when we invited to join discussions with people associated with the Northern Blair Co. Rec Center like Bruno DeGol and Ray Amato. I sat on the initial organizational committee of that facility and worked with National YMCA on have that become either the new home for or a branch of the Tyrone YMCA. Unfortunately, for many reason, that deal could not get done. As for the current building, I don;t know if tearing the building down will be as easy as just having control of the facility.

As a former Executive Director, I more then anyone, would like to see a safe and peaceful end to the facility that gave so much to the community in Tyrone for many decades. I know that many of you share in the general feeling of good will for th work that was done when the doors of the Y were open. I worked with John Harlow while he was Board President of the Y in the 1990's. I played basketball with and worked with Mayor Kilmartin to better the community. I worked with Mr. Latchford, perhaps indirectly, when the Y managed the Tyrone Community Pool. I too hope that one day the community, and most importantly, the children of Tyrone have a place like the Y that they can learn to play basketball at, attended after school programs, and learn the values of honesty, sportsmanship, and respect that we worked very hard to teach in my almost 3 years at the YMCA. I would try to work with those who are still working on behalf of the YMCA on the building. You could also place a call to the National YMCA offices (http://www.YMCA.net) in Chicago and perhaps their legal department. I am also more then happy to lend my knowledge and experience to your discussions and help in seeing that the YMCA in Tyrone is no longer destroying the good will that it gave to the community for decades.

Sincerely,
Garth Ericson
Tyrone YMCA Director 1999 - 2002
jayestewart
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by jayestewart »

Well Jim I am glad you finally answered the posts for yourself! I think there are a lot of us "former" Tyrone folks out here who still consider it to be our home. I am sure in time some of us might even come back and spend more time in Tyrone in our retirement years...so we do hope the economic climate and social conditions of the town continue to improve. I have seen much improvement and am humored by the fact that so many of the out of towners got ruffled feathers over the reference to you being humored. I think there are some of us that spend a little more time on here than others and I think that is what makes it humorous. That we would spend so much time talkiing about a town we don't live in any more.....and carrry pretty loaded opinions at times. In any event, keep up the good work. This blog is actually one of the better formats I have seen and I thank Rick and his company for providing this forum for all of us to share our thoughts and ideas.

Over the past few years 20+ students from my school have willingly involved themselves in Joshua House activities when in town. I have yet to have one of them refer to anything at Joshua House as being contrary to living life as we should. I find their conversations following visits to the Joshua House to be refreshing and enlightening....they actually listen and have gotten the message!

So, Jim keep up the good job and remember if it was easy everyone could do it!

God bless
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Good questions John.

I for one when I come for a visit don't feel safe in Tyrone.

Washington Ave (700 block) homes by my parents are awful and falling apart. Kids are breaking in and spray painting not so nice words. My parnts works on keeping up there place. Built a new wall w/fence not 1 week later kids decided they wanted to spray paint it. There is absolutely no pride in Tyrone.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I think saying there is "no pride" is a little extreme. Tyrone always has had pride. There are just more bad apples now that are spoiling the lot.

I hope Jim can turn things around. I am much more inclined to have belief in someone passionate than someone who thinks the Boro exists for them.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Ok Bansky: I didn't mean everyone in Tyrone has no pride. I was referring to those that could careless if there property is taken care of.
tammy

Post by tammy »

I would just like to say Thanks to Jim for being there for the youth of Tyrone. I know you will also do your best for the community.
You have helped my son alot in many ways.
I will always be grateful to you
Thank you
Tammy Mills
Mayor Kilmartin

Thanks for the encouragement

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

Thanks to all of you that want to see Tyrone cleaned up and moving forward. It really takes all of us to change this community. Sure there some bad eggs out there and probably always will be, but need to do our part and not hide our heads in the sand. Do we always want to look at the real issues and confront them? No. But we have to deal with the real issues at hand.

Do we have problems in Tyrone---yes, many of them.

It is very important that we are not only talking about the issues but we are doing something about them as well. I welcome all the help from every one of you that live inside the boro limits or outside of them.

I have heard a statement that it takes a whole community to raise a child and that is very true. We need to truly care for the children in our community enough to go the extra mile for them. And we need to do the same for the community as a whole. This is a special place we live and we need to treat it as so.

Keep up the good work,
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

My apologies for not responding earlier, but I've been in Daytona for the awesome races and just got back. What a great trip.

Atta boy, Harvick! :thumb:

In regards to whom you are speaking to, Mr. Kilmartin, I would just like to say that this forum has been set up for a broad range of discussions and topics. The owner of the board has permitted the options of anonimity and privacy if the user so chooses to partake, as do most other forums, groups, and chatrooms on the internet. I have chosen a login name that is quite meaningful to me personally, and you have chosen you own name (like Latchford and Harlow have done, too) which I completely respect. But I will not fully follow suit.

However, I do not see how that makes the questions or comments posed to you irrelevant. Nor do I understand your thought of needing to know the identity of whom you are discussing a certain topic with on the internet. Is it because of your public political position? Perhaps you would be willing to address that?

Anyhow, out of respect if it is a name you are seeking, you may call me Matt.

I will not offer any more personal information than that, nor do you need any more information than that.

Thank you.

Now I must get caught up on the topics.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I can only speak for myself but at least knowing someone's first name makes it a bit more of a personal conversation out here on the net where there is so much anonymity. I do understand though, the need for anonymity out here in the net, after doing the little "To Catch A Predator" thing here in Tyrone. But I know it is at least nice to have your first name Matt. Take Care and thanks for participating so much in the forums.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Bill: If you want his address... well, check the white van down by the river!
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:Bill: If you want his address... well, check the white van down by the river!
Too funny as usual Banksy Too Funny :P
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Keep those coffee tables away from me! :lol:
Butterball

Take Pride and do something

Post by Butterball »

I think what Jim said about it takes a community to raise a child is important. I wonder as I read some of the replies about the town, what are "we" doing to help. It is Jim's "job" but he cannot do it alone. He needs people to support him whether financially or showing up to events or whatever it takes.

I think about what is there really for the youth in Tyrone to do? When is the last time any of has had a few youth over for dinner? Or just call and check up on one of them? We have many many youth in this community that live in single family homes. They will continue that trend unless taught otherwise! That effects how the community looks and it effects the "Pride" in Tyrone. The youth are often told about the bad things they do, do we encourage the positive?

What have you done this week or this month to encourage our young people?
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Butterball...I think you meant single parent homes?