the Mayor

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
ardean
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by ardean »

If I may just add something to this discussion...There's a saying and I can't remember where I heard it but it goes something like this,"All it takes for evil to prevail is good people doing nothing". That is not a slam to anyone. I want to make that clear. Things aren't the way they used to be. Some would say we just need to accept that. Well, I for one do not!
There was a time when parents stuck together and really helped one another. Now, if you try to tell a parent, for example, maybe you saw their child smoking or hanging out with not-so-respectable people, the parents are offended. Now I for one know that there is a very fine line you don't want to cross in questioning somebody's parenting but we as a community need to collectively figure out a way to bridge the gap of offense and as parents, bond together if we are going to effect change in the young people of Tyrone.
ardean

Post by ardean »

As for me, at the end of each day, I ask myself what I did this day to encourage somebody. I do not say this in boasting. Nor do I expect everybody to be like me. I simply feel people sometimes look at the problems Tyrone faces and think they are overwhelming. Sometimes just affecting your small circle of influence can chip away at the so-called mounting tribulations we as a community face. A word of encouragement as opposed to discouragement can have tremendous trickle-down effect.
I see this firsthand now that I live in the Presbyterian parsonage on Logan ave.. The young people in that area, I think, are so use to words of discouragement that they seem totally shocked when somebody simply says hello or asks them how they are doing or asks them to show them a trick on their skateboard or bike.
We will soon be starting a saving our young people from drugs, seminar at the Senior Center on 3rd street in Tyrone, and I hope we can use this seminar as a platform to bring the parents of Tyrone together as a collective, community-changing unit. My wife recently attended a workshop in Baltimore, sponsored by Focus-On-The-Family, that was truly inspirational. We plan to use the model she learned there, with possibly a few modifications in an attempt to help individuals, first then the community. It will be a 6 week seminar,meeting once a week. If it takes longer than that then so be it. It's not time to sit back and think the problems we face will go away. They've been here for to long now so them just disappearing is out of the question.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Ardean,

Good to have you on board.

How is Shena? I know you guys went through h*ll, but because people like you and Robin give a crap, there is a fighting chance.

Take care.

Harlow
Butterball

Skateboard/Bike park

Post by Butterball »

I just want to remind everyone that there is a meeting on Thursday to discuss the possibilities of a skateboard/bike park to be put in Tyrone. I do hope there are people there to support this. People love to complain about the kids riding at the local businesses. Here is an oppurtunity to show the youth of Tyrone we do care about them.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

The meeting will be at Joshua House at 6pm on April 26th.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Shouldn't that meeting happen at the Borough building?

Having it at Joshua House conflicts Church and State.

Might want to look into the legalities of the meeting.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

I had that same thought, Harlow.

Conflict of interest at the very least.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

How does it conflict Church and State? Are they saying a prayer prior? They are simply using the site as a place to meet. What does it matter other than to provide an outlet to b*tch. Give some credit when they are actually trying to make a different. For f**k's sake!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

150th: Conflict of what interest? Is the Joshua House going to contract to build the skate park too? Explain the conflict, and more importantly explain what you problem is with the meeting being held there?
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

I didn't realize that Joshua House was considered a church. Pe5rsonally I wouldn't care where they held the meetings as long as something is being done in a positive step. Isn't that what everyone has been complaining about? As long as the outcome gives the youth in Tyrone something to do does it really matter where the decision was made?
Leep

Post by Leep »

There is no such thing as a conflict between church and state. It simply does not exist. It was "Decreed" by a liberal court many many years after our founding fathers lay at peace beneath the green grass..
Most people will simply not take the time to read it themselves and take the words of the most loud and strident.
But, that is what politicians have always depended on. How else could so few men lead the rest of the nation around by our collective noses...
Read it, I have many times...
Leep Out:
jilt64

Post by jilt64 »

The constitution says that there will no state sponsored church...because in England the Church of England was decreed to be the only church people could worship in...this was long ago of course. That was why many people came to US, because of freedom of religion, not freedom from it. We would not want to have everyone forced to become one particular denomination, but we have freedom to follow the religion we choose. Obviously the intention of the founding fathers was this because we had prayer and Bible reading in the schools until the 1960's. It is the Communist manifesto which indicates complete separation of church and state. Where there are no absolutes, everyone does what is right in their own eyes. That is what happens when people become hopeless, as this shooter obviously was.
Mayor Kilmartin

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

WOW that is a sobering thought and very good point.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Having a meeting at The Joshua House has nothing to do with the skate park other than it is a meeting place and a nice "Hang Out" for kids in general. Why not have it somewhere where kids already feel comfortable. Sounds good to me and I hope to be there. :D
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I figure if it is something that is Council business, it should take place at the Borough building.

I am all about the kids feeling comfortable, but when Jim is the Mayor, his office is on Logan Ave.

When he is Pastor Jim, his office is the Joshua House.

That's all.