Park Avenue Playground on the Chopping Block??

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
tyroniepa

Post by tyroniepa »

banksy wrote:They should rename the Park Avenue Playground the "JUNE OTT PLAYGROUND."
Banksy, I could not agree more! June has been a part of that neighborhood for as long as I can remember, and a true inspiration to all who know him!!! He has a wonderful attitude about life, is always cheerful and takes the time to stop and talk to his neighbors and friends. Not to mention, I wish that half of my employees had his work ethic.

In all seriousness, what is the process for having a park/playground named after such an inspirational member of its community??
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

This is a great idea, I have known June for some time now and I think that would be a great thing to bestow upon him. Just his attitude alone warrants the name change. I will find out right now. :D Ok I now have it on the council agenda. I think this will be a great plan. Thank you all for your input. I can't believe anyone will have anything negative to say about this. See you really do have a say at what happens and you can influence your community by just participating and caring a bit. Again Thanks to all.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I think it is great that you are putting it on the agenda to name the playground after June.

What a great guy he is.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Bill Latchford wrote:This is a great idea, I have known June for some time now and I think that would be a great thing to bestow upon him. Just his attitude alone warrants the name change. I will find out right now. :D Ok I now have it on the council agenda. I think this will be a great plan. Thank you all for your input. I can't believe anyone will have anything negative to say about this. See you really do have a say at what happens and you can influence your community by just participating and caring a bit. Again Thanks to all.
Good job Bill... and tell June he deserves it....
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

atta boy bill :thumb:
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm pretty sure that June got his name from his dad... His dad just called him June for some reason, he did tell me but I can't remember.. I do know it doesn't stand for Jr. I couldn't think of a better person to name the park after. He helps out so many people and always has a kind word to say and always, always a story to tell.
Also I thought it was Poncho or Paco Butler... for some reason Pedro doesn't sound right to me....
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

:oops: D*mn beck you are right... It WAS Pancho..i guess I got confused.. juust part of getting older.. sheesh :huh:
chief-logan

Post by chief-logan »

For Pete's sake, I was going to suggest last Thrusday "Pancho" .... and could not find the time because I had a case deadline. I had not thought of that in a month of Sundays. All of the sudden the name "Pancho" came into may head. And, I can still see that unpainted house in the middle of the block with a porch. The house, I think has since fallen down. I can picture a round fat freckled face with those horn-rimed glasses. "Pancho Butler.!"
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Just thought I would give an update on The Park Ave. Playground re-naming. I brought it up at the last Council meeting on Monday and it was not rejected per say, but modified to not be so restrictive. The way the majority of Council would like to see the park dedicated to the youth of Tyrone in a fashion of maybe a yearly dedication. Adding possibly a name every year to say what a great job a young person has done in the past or something of that nature. They just want to see it more generalized as to not ruffle anyone's feathers. Not sure who they were referring to, but I understand what they had meant. I just want to thank those that put forth a great effort to make some positive changes in the community.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

So are they going to move forward with a yearly dedication with the not so restrictive changes?
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I think that is total Bull Crap.

June Ott has represented Tyrone impressively in the Special Olympics for years. Where did he learn the skills he used to compete... Park Ave. Playground.

Make them name 5 people that playground could be named for Bill.

Come on Bill, there isn't one person who can attribute their success to one place like June can that playground.

Bring it to a vote, make these people say that they won't name a playground (Cost of $0) after a man who from the time he was a little boy found joy at the Park Ave Playground. I want to see who votes against that.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Harlow,

What are your feelings about the Pat Stoner Honorary Playground?

:wink:

:twisted:

:devil:
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Why not, she already has her park downtown and she has her hand picked council and Mayor, so why not change the name from Tyrone to Stonerville.
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

stonerville? appropriate in more way than one in this case.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So true, so true...