Park Avenue Playground on the Chopping Block??

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
geric3

Great post

Post by geric3 »

Harlow - I don't post often, but "Stonerville" was just to good to let pass by. As someone mentioned earlier, hits home on so many levels. Also, can you confirm or deny the rumor that rumor that Pennsylvania Avenue will be renamed Stonervania Avenue?
Meaux
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Meaux »

I do not know the individual mentioned previously but from the postings here it does seem like a community-minded idea. Mr. Ott sounds like a role-model for young people...an achiever and someone who perseveres.

The counter proposal from Council smacks of the post-modern ethos of banality...no more meritocracy, let's not single anyone individual out, let's give everyone that plays a blue ribbon, keeping up the self-esteem of the masses rather than setting forth an example and goals for others to strive towards, everyone's a hero...and like a big administrative boondoggle. Where will the money come from to keep up with the yearly naming process, the new plaques, etc?

Oops, my soapbox slipped out from under me so I am back to earth!

I grew up participating in the playground program at the playground next to Gray Memorial Field. Back in the day there were programs thoughout the town, part-time jobs for teenagers who worked as the attendants and more than enough plastic lanyards to go around!

If this is the only one left in town then it should be funded. There are other cost-savings I am sure...where are we on the issue of having Borough employees contribute to their healthcare premium like 99.99% of every other worker fortunate enough to have health insurance?
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

boondoggle.....plastic lanyards ~ are these one and the same?
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

I for one growing up with June, I think it's a great idea. His dad's name was John. I remember many days playing kick ball, base ball, etc.... on the playground with June. He did great underdoggies!!! When I come home I usually see him riding his bike and always stops to talk when he has a chance.

As for Poncho Butler, I too remember growing up with him around. He may be back down in Virginia where his mom lived. That was his grandparents that lived in that house on Park Avenue.
Mayor Kilmartin

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

Great idea for June. His real name is John Ott. June just became a nickname. One of his relatives calls him June-Bug.

He really is a great guy and stands for everything you are talking about by renaming it. He is very inspirational, motivated and darn likeable. He just showed me his most recent gold medal yesterday. He wears it around town for about a week showing it off proudly.

As for the park ave playground summer program... We'll keep that program running.

Keep voicing your opinion and hopefully some of you will come to a council meeting speak up. It might be great to get a petition together to rename the playground. Bill Latchford and I would love to work with you all on this.

I am presently working with Jerry Stern and another individual to fix up the playground. The individual will be donating $ to fix up the basketball court and hoops. We want to move the swings closer to street so parents can keep an eye on them better.

Give us your thoughts on what you would like to see improved or added at the Park Ave. Playground.

Thanks,
Jim78

Post by Jim78 »

Robbuck wrote:And while we are on the subject of the Park Ave. Playground.. those of you who grew up playing there. Do you remember when Colleen Sickler used to be the Summer Playground person in charge and there used to be bike parades and dressup contests and does anyone besides me remember the name Pedro Butler?? just curious. :ahh:
Grew up 2 houses down from the Butlers across the street from the playground. Spent many days there in the 60s and early 70s. As I recall, his name was Poncho and he lived with his grandparents.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Yes it was pancho as previously corrected by Beck.. How about playing and or riding the riverbank .. you could ride the riverbank from 9th st to 3rd street without getting off of it before the shippen street flood control project..
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
JLeeper

June

Post by JLeeper »

I played in a band with June's brother Dwayne for 16 years, and got to know June very well.
Not a mean bone in his body.
Always friendly and pleasant.

Something like this would be a huge source of pride for him and his whole family.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in English, thank a soldier.