Park Avenue Playground on the Chopping Block??

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
tahsalum

Park Avenue Playground on the Chopping Block??

Post by tahsalum »

It has come to my attention that as part of the budget cuts for the borough the Park Avenue Playground summer program might be on the chopping block. This is a wonderful program for the children of our community. For three hours in the morning children have a place where they can run with others as well as do crafts and enjoy special visitors. They are not trapped inside while mom, dad or the babysitter are doing other tasks around the house. The program has really flurished in the last couple of years. It started out very small and has more than tripled itself. Another positive aspect of this program is that it is free. The Tyrone borough has been generous to offer this program to the community at no cost. This is great for children who are in the lower socioeconomic status and otherwise couldn't afford other summertime interaction with other children. The two young ladies who are in charge while the program is in session really get involved with the children. You can find them on with swings, playing kickball, or anywhere else the children have asked them to be. The program always runs smoothly. I ask that any of you who have children, grandchildren or anyone else involved in this program speak up now with letters to the editor or phone calls to the mayor. We don't want this program to fall under and our youth to have no place to go. Thank you in advance for your support.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

I for one am not going to let anything happen to that program. I will not vote for anything that takes away from the children of our community. I am only one but, I believe we all, on council, see the benefit of The Park Avenue Playground Program.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

They should rename the Park Avenue Playground to "THE JUNE OTT PLAYGROUND."
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

second that
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Okay for us who don't know let's have a discussion on who is June Ott before the vote.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

June lives near the playground and is a sports legend to those who have played with or against him. He hold far to many Gold Medal in the Special Olympics for me to count. All around great guy!
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

June is short for Junior.. he is the mildly learning challenged(?) guy who lives on 7th street.. Brother of Dwayne Ott.. He has been delivering papers in the area for about twenty five years.. Great Guy... Very talkative and friendly.. 8)
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

And while we are on the subject of the Park Ave. Playground.. those of you who grew up playing there. Do you remember when Colleen Sickler used to be the Summer Playground person in charge and there used to be bike parades and dressup contests and does anyone besides me remember the name Pedro Butler?? just curious. :ahh:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Pedro Butler???? Not sure I remember him, but should I be voting for him?
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Hey my vote goes to June Ott. Sounds like a great person to give such a recognition.
hykesmill

Post by hykesmill »

PEDRO, NOW THERE'S A NAME FROM WAY BACK, I BELIEVE THEIR HOUSE IS EVEN GONE NOW. WONDER WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HIM?
Holtzy

Post by Holtzy »

My daughter has been enjoying the Park Ave Playground program for the past 2 years. She looks forward to all of the events that this program provides. I vote that it stays! Why does this town continue to punish the children?????
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

I don't think this was serious action being considered from what I read .....does anyone know the true story?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Holtzy wrote:My daughter has been enjoying the Park Ave Playground program for the past 2 years. She looks forward to all of the events that this program provides. I vote that it stays! Why does this town continue to punish the children?????
There's thd ol' Tyrone 'tude.
tahsalum

Post by tahsalum »

It was heard that they are looking for cuts in the budget and the playground was mentioned as a cut by someone. The program is amazing. Every child who attends the playground enjoys what it has to offer. I hope that they don't cut it, my kids would be crushed.