Paper Mill re-opening

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Herald Lash

Paper Mill re-opening

Post by Herald Lash »

It was a great day with the press conference announcing a new locally owned company would be re-opening the paper mill. WTRN radio aired it live and The Daily Herald has all the details and pictures. :lol:
thenoseknows

stink?

Post by thenoseknows »

is this town gonna stink? I have heard that paper mills make the air smell...if so i better pack my bags!
moses lee
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Smelly Air

Post by moses lee »

There is an old saying the farmers used when they spread manure on thier fields. (thats the smell of money).
sybles

haha

Post by sybles »

thats a good saying. i welcome the jobs, i will put up with smell if it means food on the towns tables...
jamy

Post by jamy »

I agree 100% with putting up with a smell compared to being JOBLESS or even worse HOMELESS!!!
thenoseknows

hello....whatever

Post by thenoseknows »

i am sorry that it has been a while since i have replied. Well your beloved hissing monster has begun operation. And a whopping 170 jobs were created again for the members of this town....oh wait...Just how many residents of Tyrone were hired at the mill? I would like to know....and did I notice that the borough is going to raise our sewer bill? What is that is the mill not using the sewer....let it do more than stink and make a hissing noise....let it pay my sewer bill. I am all for improving the town, but how many hotels or motels or places to eat do we have? Um...have you tried to go out to dinner in State College or Altoona latley? We could work to get employment through retail and food service. There are so many things that would improve this great little town than stanky paper and loud hissing as it lets off steam.

Please do not miss my question whilst thou bashes me. How many people, who lived here before talks of reopening the mill started, were hired. I think that is a valid question amongst my ranting.

Thankyou.
thenoseknows

pollution or steam????

Post by thenoseknows »

probably a little of both. I was wondering if we could be privy to the pollution reports from this reopening papermill. The white stuff pouring from the stacks the past few days and nights.....what is that???

Ahhh....anyway....I still wait for the demographics on the hiring.

Thanks.
DemoGraphics

re: thenoseknows

Post by DemoGraphics »

Regardless if the hires were from Tyrone Borough, the simply fact that the employees work within the borough entails that local tax is coming out of their paycheck and into the Tyrone coffers.

Would you like to know just those that live in Tyrone proper that were hired or should it include those who live in Warrios Mark, Bald Eagle, Snyder Township, etc.
thenoseknows

how are the cancer rates in those areas?

Post by thenoseknows »

Well I guess that would all depend on the cancer rates in those areas. I was informed the other day that the cancer rates in this town of Tyrone had been unusually high. It is probably just a freak of nature but I guess that it could be related to the paint eating environment destroying paper mill too.

So to respond to your question. Fine I'll go with your challenge...out of the Whopping 170 people the paper mill hires or hired, how many were residents of those areas?

Oh and while you are at it....why not tell us how many were residents of Pennsylvania, or the US. Yeah that will solve the local problems of our town.

Lastly...I am having a bad day...so sorry if I sound negative.
guest3

Post by guest3 »

The cancer rate in Tyrone is high, but I don't think we can blame it soley on Westvaco. I know many people that worked at Chicago Rivet that have died of cancer.
The mill has always been viewed at the hub of Tyrone, well those days have long been over. I, personally, get tired of everyone talking about the mill. I look around and see other people struggling that the mill didn't allow in for years because they didn't know somebody that knew somebody else. You had to be a blood relative to get into that place, it didn't matter your qualifications.
I'm glad the mill is opened, don't get me wrong but it is no longer the bread and butter of Tyrone, nor will it be.
DemoGraphics

re: thenoseknows

Post by DemoGraphics »

Now, you are getting somewhere. Why didn't you just ask in your oroignal post about a relation between the cancer rates in Tyrone and the Paper Mill? Why did you have to whine about where the hires were from.

Like yourself, I would like to know as well, but perhaps you being a resident of Tyrone you could place a call to the EPA and make a request? Better yet, I suggest you contact Bill Fink on the Borough Council. He will listen and I assure you if there is anything he can do in his power to get an answer, he will.
Doorman

cancer rates

Post by Doorman »

Look if you are so concerned with the cancer rates and the papermill, why don't you just call Erin Berockovitch. With all of the layoffs that are going on in this area, you are the first person that I have ever heard moaning and complaining about a new industry starting up and hiring around 170 people and paying them around $12.00 an hour. There is no way that you could be a life long resident of this town and complain about the papermill the way you are. The former Westvaco did more for this town than any other industry or group has ever done for this town. And you are the first person that I have ever heard make the comment that the cancer rates in Tyrone are higher than other places that compare to Tyrone in size.

Post by Guest »

In regards to the last post, I can not believe you are not aware of the cancer rate in Tyrone. Where have you been living all of your life!?

Paper mill

Post by guest »

If you are going to discuss the cancer rate in Tyrone, you should also mention the Chemical Plant that is spewing more chemicals than the papermill could ever. I happen to know quite a few people that were called back to work at the paper mill and they are from Tyrone. Factories are required to report what they are emitting into the air under the Clean Air Act. I'd be more worried about the chemical plant which has already had a few accidents, then I would worry about the paper mill. I am thankful the plant reopened.

Post by Guest »

You can tell you don't know much about the Chemical Plant. They are so highly regulated and have very few accidents. In the past, the paper mill had emitted stuff that ate the paint off of cars. Everyone things the Chemical plant is so dangerous but they are so highly trained for accidents. This town needs to realize what the chemical plant does for this town....