New Section

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

New Section

Post by banksy »

I think thre should be a new section to the board entitled "Legends, Heroes, and Outstanding People"

Then you could start a post about someone, like Bicycle Harry and have it sectioned off by itself. Thoughts?
julio

Post by julio »

I think we should name it:

Tyrone
Individuals
To
Salute
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

Hi all, just joined this site. My maternal grandparents, several aunts and cousins were born and raised in Tyrone. I have a couple of cousins still living there. I just love this site and reading all of the forums here, brings back a lot of memories. My mom, sister and me spent every, single summer there and most major holidays since early childhood. For a time my sister and I even went to school there while our parents were in FL looking for a house to buy in 1959. I even remember Bicycle Harry and seeing him ride by my g/parents home on Columbia Ave. My dad said he thinks that we were even distantly related to him. Not sure, but I think Harry's last name was even Snyder, which is also my maiden name. My parents were from Tyrone and Altoona (I was born in Altoona too) but they moved to up-state NY after I was born. Thanks to all for their contributions, I read all of them. :D
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

banksy wrote:I think there should be a new section to the board entitled "Legends, Heroes, and Outstanding People"

Then you could start a post about someone, like Bicycle Harry and have it sectioned off by itself. Thoughts?
RedhairNFreckles wrote:... Not sure, but I think Harry's last name was even Snyder, which is also my maiden name...
Yes, his last name was indeed Snyder.

I agree with Banksy, this is a good idea. As I stated in the previous thread linked below, I had a hard time categorizing a new discussion about Bicycle Harry a while back:

viewtopic.php?t=463
RedhairNFreckles

Thanks Beach for your links about Bicycle Harry! I also had another famous relative....he was the brakeman for the circus train that wrecked on a curve outside of town decades ago! For all I know, he might have been named Snyder too....lol. :oops:
I mean no offense, I am VERY proud of my name, Snyder! :D
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

And so it is written...

viewforum.php?f=17

Now behave, and don't go running up a flag for all the crazies, just the important ones... :stick:
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
RedhairNFreckles

:rofl: okaaayyyyyyy......I gave my 2 cents worth...... :roll:
chief-logan

Post by chief-logan »

I wish I had kept the clipping when they interviewed Harry. He was living in Valley View home and had his bicycle with him. He rode it around the driveway. He was 103 years old at this point. His nephew Cloyd Snyder lived next to me on Penn Ave and another nephew Glen Snyder lived down the street 1300 block. Glen Snyder had a green pony wagon and a player piano in the 60s and 70s. He actually kept the pony in a garage on Pennsylvania Avenue. His house was a popular hangout. Harry was many times down there fixing bicycles. Anyways, Harry was asked if he ever had any romantic interests in his live. He got sweet on this woman who was writing him from Ohio in the '20s, I think. He rode his bicycle the whole way out to Ohio to marry her. He got there and she alreay had another man, so he had to ride back to Tyrone empy handed. He gave up the notion of marriage with that trip.
RedhairNFreckles

Oh wow, ChiefLogan, thanks for the info on him. I never heard many stories about him, only that he was well thought of by many residents of Tyrone. I wish I got to know him better then occasionally seeing him ride by my grandparents home. I didn't even know he lived to such a ripe 'ol age of 103. EVERY town should have such an "icon" as Bicycle Harry was..