Bill Fink for County Commissioner

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Mayor Kilmartin

Bill Fink for County Commissioner

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

Did you all notice that Boro Councilman Bill Fink is running for Blair County Commissioner. It would be nice to have a representative from the northern end of the county. I must say, he has done a fine job as councilman for our community.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

For those that haven't read the news yet...

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=9061
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

He had best do a better job campaigning for County Commissioner than he did for Mayor.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get on there, (h*ll almost anyone is better than "Raise the Taxes But Cut Very Little County Spending" Donna and "Blow with the Wind" Barry) but he's got a lot of other candidates with whom he is going to have to compete.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

After working with Bill Fink for a little while on Council now and the few years of him in the newspaper, I can say that I have a much better attitude towards Bill. I think he would bring some much needed level headed ness to the Blair County Commissioners. Good Luck to him.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I wonder what he could have done as Mayor without losing a year to "learning on the job."
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

banksy wrote:I wonder what he could have done as Mayor without losing a year to "learning on the job."
You should have been a prospector or an anthropologist they way you get those digs in....
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

After listening to Fink's interview on WRTA in Altoona, I must say that it wasn't all that impressive, and he didn't seem to have a firm grasp on the priority of certain county issues, nor did he offer some preliminary insight on how to resolve them.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Bill Latchford wrote:
banksy wrote:I wonder what he could have done as Mayor without losing a year to "learning on the job."
You should have been a prospector or an anthropologist they way you get those digs in....
I guess it's better than riding the status quo surf, but you must admit, it has some truth to it. RULE NUMBER ONE in any business endeavor. NEVER admit your faults. The comment should never have been made, even if it was the truth.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I really believe, but can't speak for the Mayor, is that he meant he does not have the experience in public office possibly. From Jim's endeavors with his ministry and youth outreach along with his business aspects, in my mind he had plenty of experience for the job. Maybe a few years on Council could have done some good to prepare him for the public official's rule, but all in all I think he is doing a fine job.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Here's the joke.... you all want to know "how to improve Tyrone?" You all know it is to zap the drugs.

Well, if you all were serious about it, you would start really pressuring the dealers. I have not offically lived in Tyrone since 1989.... that's 18 years, but I can certainly tell you that if I wanted drugs, I woulc purchase them in 10 minutes of arriving... probably without even asking where to go get them as well.

A large portion of the people know where to get them, it is right under their nose. Take this problem seriously and squash it.

Random drug searches in the schools. Extended homeroom periods and bring in drug sniffing dogs to walk the halls. Make it so difficult to get away with it, that most turn away from it.

Everyone talks about wanting rid of the drugs, but nothing really gets done other than talk.
Mayor Kilmartin

Post by Mayor Kilmartin »

Well, Terry you haven't lived here for 18 years so how do you know is truly being done with the drug culture?

There has been a serious decline in drug usage in this community. You can ask anyone that was in that lifestyle. The Tyrone police department has worked hard at pushing them out. There have been significant raids and arrests over the last few years. Chief Bechem is one of the premier drug task officers in the area.

Are there still drugs, yes but I am sure there are plenty in your town as well. The important thing is that there has been a significant decrease in drug activity in Tyrone.

Why does it seem to be in the news often? Because our police force is actually doing something about it.

Is there room for improvement, most definitely.

Yes Terry, you could find drugs around town if you looked for it. But you don't focus on the small dealers...you pressure the larger dealers and make it harder to bring the 'junk' here. Once that is establised, then you worry about the street level 'small fries'.

You may not like that answer, but if you really want to make a dent in the drug culture, you need to deal with the big dogs. If you take a small fry, then it is easy to replace one of those.

So to take care of the bigger guys, it takes 'undercover' effort that takes time and sensitivity.

And about your concern over my learning on the job that you constantly focus on...get over it. I have plenty of experience.

By God's grace, you'll see significant improvement in Tyrone after four years of office.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Jim, I hope you are right. I don't think I have questioned too much your intent. It would be fool hearty for anyone to think you didn't have a genuine care for Tyrone. I always have as well and even thought I may not have lived there for 18 years, I still visit frequently. I still go over and watch a Little League game, drop by a Youth Football game, etc.

I hope you continue to follow your gut and make a difference.
Navy CPO

Post by Navy CPO »

Mayor Kilmartin,

If you don't mind me asking, but just what is your plenty of experience in? I truly believe that you have very fine qualities or you would not have been elected. There is no shame that you are learning on the job. No one knows it all. You will never know the answer to every situation or even know how to respond. It will be a learning experience! People should learn something new everyday. You will make mistakes, but learn from those mistakes and don't repeat them. But back to my question, what is your experience in? This is your first position in public office?

Charles Miller Jr.
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

"There has been a serious decline in drug usage in this community. You can ask anyone that was in that lifestyle. The Tyrone police department has worked hard at pushing them out. There have been significant raids and arrests over the last few years. Chief Bechem is one of the premier drug task officers in the area."

This is great news, hope it continues. Does Tyrone participate in a Multi-County Drug Task Force? I have another home in NC and in that county they have this implimented and it is working well. Several surrounding counties work together with drug interdiction so the info on drug dealers/users is shared and arrests are made frequently and timely.