New week, new question

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

New week, new question

Post by Harlow »

Rumors are rampant that former Mayor Stoner is planning a run for Borough Council.

Do you feel that is a good thing that the former Mayor is considering a run?
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

hmmmmmm.....this is a good question john.

my answer to this (and this is only MY opinion) is NO she should not run. Mayor McCheese had her run on the board as mayor and she got her cronies still on board. oh yea tyrone has some new sidewalks, streetlamps and street posts(except for the one that keeps getting run over on the corner of 10th street) and a new "sitting" park downtown (which i hear you might need a permit/parking pass to sit now) during her watch. but what really has this helped tyrone?

there are no new businesses that keep tyroners in town to spend. there are no new businesses that attract workers from going out of town. AND there are a few empty promises made to kids about a skate park that were left for the new regime. i see our new mayor (no jim, u r not the new mayor mccheese......not yet anyway...lol) is taking up the fight for the skate park. good news for kids....but that insurance and liability will get you in the end. i wish u all the luck with this though.

ex mayor mccheese should just keep to her retirement/ borough advisor position and maybe let someone else with new ideas take to the council.

DISCLAIMER: these statments made here are only opinions and should be taken as that.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Definitely not.

This is the part of problem we keep finding at the state level. Politicians that leave an office for whatever reason reappear in some other office of government. And in all honesty, the former mayor has never left, and continues having a direct line of input into the ongoings in the boro. She still feeds and pushes upon the current mayor and council her ideas, thoughts, and goals as an advisor. Whether or not that is a positive thing is open to personal interpretation.

Would the community of be better served to have the old (some might say stale) thoughts, ideas, and goals of a former mayor back reappearing on the borough council? Or would having a new, possibly (and hopefully) younger, more fresh view of directions and thoughts be more beneficial? Something like Kilmartin somewhat claims to be. But especially one without strings attached such as alliances with current members. Being someone who is in their 30's, and politically a total reform minded person, I'd definitely go with the latter. I say no to status quo.

But given the average age of voters in this area, along with the fact that the highest percentage of citizens who actually do vote (especially in Tyrone) are the older generation, I wouldn't be surprised to see her run and win. In my opinion, without her endorsement, Kilmartin doesn't win his race for mayor.

(PS.. this was not to stereotype, critize, or insult every voter older than 40. This is merely a personal observation.)
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Well a couple days into my informal questions/solutions period and two against Former Mayor Stoner running for Council.

I am sort of surprised that she is thinking about it, but then again, nothing surprises me in Tyrone anymore.

If I were a Tyrone voter, I wouldn't be supporting her run for office, but then again I am not a Tyrone voter.

I would like to see some of my generation starting to seek office. Rick or Ray from Open Door Visions would be great. They are community oriented and think outside the typical Tyroner mentality.

Most of the influencers in the community live outside the Borough lines. Sam Phillips from Gardners is in State College. Rose Black is in Bald Eagle, the Dutrow's are in Snyder Township, John Ferner is in Warriors Mark.

Who is the next generation to lead the Tyrone community?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

My nod goes to John Harlow! Oh, and as for new businesses in Tyrone... isn't the paper mill back up again?
ardean

Former Mayor running for Borough Council

Post by ardean »

In regards to Pat Stoner running for Borough council again I have to say that I really like Pat Stoner however, I feel her time is up and simply for her own sanity, she shouldn't run again. Good question though John...You were always good at those sort of things :D
SMOKEJUMPER

new week new question

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

well john it is no longer a runor no longer. ex mayor pat stoner is running for a 4 year council term. its offical it was on this site under local news . they should have just made her a life time council person since she raelly didn't leave. seeing how they made her an assitant to the new mayor. now she will be able to get her way again. since all will follow. but i do have to admittthat she did have some good ideas. but if you didnt agree with them you whent to the bad side of the fence. :oops:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.