Skateboard and Bike park

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
colleen_sward08

Re: Skateboard and Bike park

Post by colleen_sward08 »

Thanks to all that are accepting the idea of the center. If there is anyone that wants involved or has the ability to put me in touch with someone that would be able to help, I would really appreciate the effort! Thanks again!
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

Know what else would be neat for the "Big Yank" building ?? An indoor roller skateing rink. There use to be one at Blands Park years ago.... it went over well for people of all ages. They even rented skates to those without them. There was always music playing in the background... you could skate around the slanted outside area of the floor and, if you were good enough, you could skate/dance, on the flat inside area of the floor. Lotsa' fun too !!!
Course, back then sue wasn't around all the time... very rarely, if ever, did you see her !! If you fell down and broke your ying-yang it was your problem and no one elses. You got over it, you got it fixed, and you kept on going.
Sue certainly has ruined a lot of good times for folks these days !!
FrogsCrowsDonkey

Post by FrogsCrowsDonkey »

I think the more you offer our children the better! It keeps them out of trouble, and busy. Could be worse they could be downtown running the streets, hanging out at Burger King, or worse yet getting into issues they should be. I just would hope they would respect the park and appreciate what was given to them to use. :thumb:
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

I just got this off of the Altoona Mirror's site, and thought it would be helpful to our Tyrone Skate Park Group:

Group raising funds for Altoona Skatepark
By William Kibler, bkibler@altoonamirror.com POSTED: May 26, 2008 Save | Print | Email | Read comments | Post a comment
Email: "Group raising funds for Altoona Skatepark"
*To: <--TO Email REQUIRED!

Fact Box
To donate
Visit http://www.blairbikeandboard.com and download the donation form. The forms must be mailed, but the group hopes to
set up a PayPal account to make donating easier.
The group that wants to build a skate park at the intersection of Interstate 99 and Frankstown Road near Blair County Ballpark is trying to raise $15,000 by month’s end for a master site plan.

Blair Bike & Board has raised $7,000 toward developing a $1.6 million complex with playground, walking track, pavilions, restrooms and lights, said group president Tim Boland, a skateboarder and Roosevelt Junior High School teacher.

The group will use the site plan to help raise the rest of the money, said Mike Hofer, interim executive director of the Central Blair Recreation and Park Commission.

In a letter to prospective sponsors, Boland touts the 28,000-square-foot skate park as an alternative for kids to “drugs, alcohol and crime in a free, healthy, family-oriented environment.”

It “sends a message that Altoona is a progressive city with an eye on the future,” Boland writes.

The campaign includes “Bricks for Bucks,” a fundraiser in which $50 will get donors’ names engraved on bricks for an arch at the facility. The group has sold about 70 so far.

The group also has set up donation tiers: bronze, silver, gold and platinum, the latter for $100,000 or more.

The group has applied through U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-9th District, for a federal grant of $200,000, which requires a 50-50 match, Boland said.

Blair Bike & Board will apply next year for a grant of undetermined amount from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, also requiring a 50-50 match.

It can include “in-kind” donations of labor and supplies, Hofer said.

While Blair Bike & Board is working to raise the money, Hofer said Central Blair Rec is collecting the money. That is because CBRC is considered a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and contributions would be tax-deductible.

On behalf of the group, the city is working on a lease with PennDOT for the 1.5-acre site tucked between I-99 and a county-owned pick-up ballfield off Frankstown Road, where Park Avenue intersects. The lease is necessary before applying for the DCNR grant.

At the same time, the Altoona Curve is trying to work out a lease with PennDOT for an acre on the other side of an access road from Park Avenue to add parking to make up for spaces it will lose to the widening of Park Avenue.

The department will require the parties to reimburse it for continuing to maintain the access road and a bridge along it over Brush Run. Both the road and bridge are in good shape and won’t need much work for 20 years, predicted PennDOT District 9 design services engineer Ed Stoltz.

Otherwise, the department would demolish the bridge, said City Manager Joe Weakland.

Weakland expects PennDOT to charge a nominal fee to lease the ground.
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

I did see that article and will be contacting them for there input.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

Here is some more info from the Altoona Mirror about the fundraiser that I last wrote about

Skatepark fundraising show draws crowd of 150
By Greg Bock, gbock@altoonamirror.com POSTED: June 1, 2008 Save | Print | Email | Read comments | Post a comment
Email: "Skatepark fundraising show draws crowd of 150"
*To: <--TO Email REQUIRED!

Article Photos
(Mirror photo by Teri Ensico)
Matt Popp, drummer for the band Fed Up, performs Saturday during a benefit show for a skatepark in Altoona at Legion Park in Hollidaysburg.
HOLLIDAYSBURG — When the people behind Blair Bike and Board, the local effort to build a skateboard and bicycle park in Altoona, were looking for a way to raise funds, one idea came naturally.

“The proper way to do that is to introduce it with music,” said Laine Kelly, 20, as she collected donations Saturday at Legion Park.

Eight bands played pro bono all afternoon as more than 150 turned out for the cause.

Among those scheduled to perform were Black River Circus, Fed Up, d*ck Shack Posse, Avant Garde, The Useless Underground, The Scraps, Body X Farm and Locked Inside.

“Dude, it’s so important,” said 15-year-old Brandon Ford, skateboard in hand.

Brandon said finding a place to ride is increasingly hard.

“Even just skating around here, we get kicked out,” he said.

Skaters and bicyclists get unjustly blamed for vandalism and troublemaking, and concerns about liability make them unwelcome, Brandon said.

“We just need a flat surface,” he said. “We go to places, and in 10 to 15 minutes, we get kicked out.”

The group is hoping to raise $2 million for the 30,000-square- foot facility, one that will include pavilions, a walking track and playground, as well as places to skate and ride.

“It’s a really good group,” BB&B president Tim Boland said Saturday of the kids who turned out to support the efforts.

Boland said a lot of parents are hesitant to let their kids ride bicycles or skate because of the lack facilities for those activities.

Kids are forced to ride on the streets and sidewalks or wherever they can find pavement.

Boland says financial support is starting to build, and the interest is apparent in the area.

Boland said the group’s Web site, http://www.blairbikeandboard.com, has helped get the word out, and he estimates there are 500 skateboarders and bikers in the region who are interested in seeing the park built.

Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7446.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

This all sounds GREAT and I hope it works out for all concerned. One question... how are the kids from Tyrone going to get to Legion Park in Hollidaysburg ??? These fund raisers are fine for your area but we need something in Tyrone. Is there is a plan in the works to bus the kids up there so they can enjoy it too.
sissy31696

Post by sissy31696 »

My2Cents wrote:This all sounds GREAT and I hope it works out for all concerned. One question... how are the kids from Tyrone going to get to Legion Park in Hollidaysburg ??? These fund raisers are fine for your area but we need something in Tyrone. Is there is a plan in the works to bus the kids up there so they can enjoy it too.

I actually posted the article here, in hopes that maybe some of the info in it could help those that are trying to start the skatepark in Tyrone! Sorry you misunderstood my post!

One more idea that would be really nice for the Big Yank Building

A DAYCARE FACILITY

Has anyone else noticed that Tyrone does not have a licensed daycare facility, just the ones ran out of peoples homes??????????
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

About the lack of daycares in the area, I've noticed that too. The Hollidaysburg YMCA runs a nice program at the elementary school, but that is for kids ages 3 and up. My kids love their summer camp program; they go two or three days a week but would gladly go everyday!
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

I will be contacting Tim Boland who is one of the people heading up the Blair county Bike and board park. They are trying to raise $2 million for there project. I have spoke with someone who is looking into buying the big yank building and possible make some sort of community center out of it. I am also looking into the old junk yard across from big yank. All great possibilities but will require big hearts to help get something completed.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth