TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

:bluebounce: :bluebounce: I'M IN!! :bluebounce: :bluebounce:

:thumb: :thumb: a touch of respect for a very highly respected band director......even though he brought in "BOAT MAN"..... :lol:
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Harlow »

There is an idea.

Find the Boat Man and bring him to Tyrone. Another idea is find Dave Schopp who is a band director in the Philly area. Bring him back.

Excellent musician and knows what it takes to be in an award winning band.

I will hold out to see what the School Board does. You folks pay enough taxes. Make them cut someone in the administration to fund the program.
cchoover

Hello from TAHS

Post by cchoover »

Hello everyone. My name is Clayton Hoover, and I'm a junior in the drumline at TAHS. Someone I know from school sent me this thread and so I registered immediately to get in contact with all of you.

First, I don't know how many of you have MySpace accounts, but anyone who does is welcome to join the group 'Save Tyrone's Music', found at http://groups.myspace.com/tyronemusic. We already have 30-some members, all of them students concerned about losing our music department in the next few years.

It's exciting to me to see that at least part of the community is on our side - I think last week's newspaper writeup helped to get the problem out into the public. It's great that you are all concerned and want to save the music at Tyrone High. Here's what I can say from what I know thus far:

Donations aren't a bad idea, but they're not the be-all end-all for showing the school board that we care. Mrs. Young suggests calling, or better yet writing, to the school board, respectfully addressing your concerns about the music program. The public input sessions at board meetings are also an excellent time to raise concerns - There was quite a turnout of music department representatives last week, including students, their parents, the three State-chorus students, Mrs. Young and even Kris Laird.

The school board is complaining of financial problems, which is understandable to an extent. In the MySpace group I mentioned, we will soon be starting a donation campaign for the department. I will find out more details on it first, before I can give suggestions on how to go about doing it. [not that any of you need my permission or anything... but I believe there are certain specifications that need to be considered so that the donation benefits the music department ONLY]

Also, the band program is not the only program in trouble. Our chorus program is being strained also, and Mrs. Young is definitely one of, if not THE hardest-working teacher in the school. It all boils down to scheduling problems - The school board claims that music class student numbers are down, so they cut our classes, not realizing that it's their fault that numbers are down because of their poorly-designed scheduling system.

To quote what Mr. Laird [Jr.] said after the most recent board meeting: "If you build a house on a swamp, of course it's not going to last long." He made this analogy about our band program - If we cut the MS Band Director's position, in a few years there will be no senior high program.

I think this is a great opportunity for concerned TAHS alumni and students to work together on this issue and help ensure that future generations can also be a part of Tyrone's legendary music program.

If anyone wants to contact me, you can email me at beaker937@yahoo.com. Sorry this post was so long!

-Clayton
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

Well Clayton, it's nice to see one of the students being proactive to save the band. I was in the Golden Eagle Marching Band from 88-92. What a great time that was. I learned a lot of lessons, but most of all I learned what hard work was. I only wish you could have had the honor and privilege of having Gerry Roberts as your director. Unfortunatley ever since he left and the whole Hartman scandal happened, not one of the directors after that has had the passion or the discipline to make the band great again. I THINK the school board may see that. I also think anything we can do at this point to increase the interest in the band would be great. We had 85 or more playing members. We were a group four band and then we dropped to group 3 my senior year. I wish you guys could see what we used to be like and take that drive and passion and make it great again. Perhaps if more students showed an interest, the school board wouldn't be targeting the music department. Perhaps a group of students interested in music but who couldn't join b/c of the schedule issues should show up at the meeting. That MAY make a difference. We practiced first period two days a week plus after school and on Saturdays before competitions. Do they even have band as a class in school anymore b/c of the new scheduling system?? The school board needs to re-evaluate this scheduling system. My daughter is in middle school and with all of this day 1-6 stuff, no wonder they cannot fit band or other music classes in. Her schedule confuses me!!!

Anyway, keep on doing what you are doing. We, as the community, are here to support you and try to get the school board to realize music programs are important. I have contacted VH1's save the music program, but Tyrone does not qualify for that b/c the program has not yet been cut. Keep us up on when the band is on the agenda for the school board meetings, we'll be there!!!!
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

One of the things I recall about being in band is that it involved perpetual fund raising. The concept of the $10.00 donations would be to offset the fees the kids have to pay to be a part of the band. For any family that struggles financially, band becomes a liability instead of an asset. As a result, parents might discourage their children from participating in band.

Therefore this fund would help kids who want to be in band but demonstrate a level of need to assist them and their families to enjoy the Golden Eagle Band experience. Just a thought!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

IT would be nice to hear what it costs to fund on a per student basis, understand what our financial shortcomings are, and then decide on a course of action..... throwing $10 is a great gesture, but if its like taking a pen knife to a sword fight, it may not be worth it. Can we get Cathy Young or someone to give facts as to what the shortfall is?

Perhaps once we hear that we could start something like "Adopt a Band Member" campaign. Certainly there are some member of that band who have parents who could afford to assist their kids. For those who can not, we could adopt them and pay their way. Again, we need the facts first to understand what we are up against.
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Banksy I agree about the amount of need per kid. I was thinking that if a kid needs $250.00 a year for expenses then that is 25 former band members making a 10 dollar donation. Certainly there would be some former members that could and would do more but the idea is to build a large base of support from all of the former band members and any other alumni that want the traditions of TAHS music to continue. If we can get someone to give us some direction as to the need, then we can start working to help meet the need.
Speedo

My Views.

Post by Speedo »

akindergartenmom wrote:I only wish you could have had the honor and privilege of having Gerry Roberts as your director. Unfortunatley ever since he left and the whole Hartman scandal happened, not one of the directors after that has had the passion or the discipline to make the band great again. Do they even have band as a class in school anymore b/c of the new scheduling system?? The school board needs to re-evaluate this scheduling system. My daughter is in middle school and with all of this day 1-6 stuff, no wonder they cannot fit band or other music classes in. Her schedule confuses me!!!
Hello, my name is Christina, and I am a freshman trombonist at TAHS. Clayton sent me the link to this, and after I read through your posts, I decided to join.

I'm thrilled to see so many people supporting our band program. Well, our music program in general. I'm not used to seeing people willing to donate to the band. I thought it was really cool. :)

Well there's not a whole lot I have to say right now about this; Clayton pretty much summed everything up that was on my mind at the moment. I could go on for pages about how I feel, and what I think should be done, but I'll do that at a later time if I feel like it, heh.

Anyway, from what I quoted above... What exactly was the Hartman scandal? I've asked around about it and no one has heard of it. Just curious about what that was.

To answer your question, yes, we still have a band program in our school. We have concert band, concert choir, POPS, and jazz band as [high school] classes you can take during the school day, and as you know marching band after school. But our numbers are dropping.... Some of it is because lack of interest, but most because of the scheduling system.

I think it's ridiculous. This year I had to choose between band/choir and a language. I took the first option of course, but it was really frustrating that we had to choose between the two, since you need a couple years of language for most colleges. Next year I am taking all my required classes, French, band, and possibly choir again. But once again, I had to choose between a language and music classes. There's no problem with me taking band and French, but I also wanted to take music theory and keyboarding (piano). Since I signed up for French, it filled my schedule, and I don't have room for those classes... This is why there's barely any students in these classes. You're forced to choose between something you may need for college, and something you'd love to take. I don't understand why we can't do both.

I tried to limit everything I wanted to say into a small portion right now. I hope I didn't write too much, heh.

I'm just so glad that there are supporters out there. Thank you all. ^_^

~Christina
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

Christina,

there are more of us out there; just a lot of them are not members of our lil' club in here.

i have read the posts in here and i have to say, the more the merrier in donating toward this very worthy cause. if every alumni band member thru the years donated $10 each, this could help tremendously to the band program. i know there are many members that would give even more each year, just not a $10 donation.

i feel sorry for some of these kids that have to choose between languages and music. i know some colleges prefer a few years of language but comeon.......i bet there are a few kids out there that would love to be playing a musical instrument. it saddens me that the band program has fallen in numbers over the years.

pretty soon........the phrase "one time in band camp....." will be lost in the good ol' school of Tyrone.....extinct like the wolly mammonth, unicorns and pittsburgh pirate winning seasons
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

I'm sorry you have to choose too. I got to take Spanish and Band when I went to Tyrone and that was when marching band was a required 1st period class on Tues and Thurs, or you couldn't be in the band. We are here to support you guys and help in anyway possible. Please let the kids in the band know that!! Also, keep us informed on when the subject of the music programs will be back on the agenda at the school board meeting, I think a lot of us will show up!! Also, even though the whole foreign language think is almost mandatory for college, they like extra curricular activities too, such as band. Hopefully, the scheduling issues can be worked out! Good Luck with Band!!!
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Looks like Cathy Young is the newest registered user, so this message is for her. Good luck on keeping the music dept. afloat. Thanks for all of the good memories.

How can we help??
1983 graduate
rjgherrity

Post by rjgherrity »

Hey everyone, my name is Robert Gherrity and along with Christina and Clayton am also a student at Tyrone and am affiliated with the music department. I am pretty sure Clayton said this earlier but I think it would be a good reminder for everyone that next tuesday, May 8th our school board will be meeting in the board room at the Elementary school. During this time the public can voice their concerns and issues about what is going on in the district. I would strongly recommend that everyone on this forum site and anyone you know that wants to voice their concerns should attend and bring them up. As you saw with last months meeting we had a great turn-out for this however we need to keep it up.

One issue that should be brought up is the proposed removal of Mr. Dunlap's old job, which is currently held Mr. Versellis(don't know how to spell his name). What this is doing is causing major scheduling problems in the music department such as having Mrs. Young teach 4th grade recorders and the new band director teaching 5th-12th grade band. If that isn't crazy enough they are moving the entire senior high music schedule around to facilitate this change which will make it even harder for those younger students who wish to do concert band and choir to schedule it because of "mandatory" classes.

Another issue is that it has been almost a month since the school district has known about our current band director's, Aaron Patterson, resignation yet they have not put an advertisement for a new one in the paper or made it publicly known that our school is in search of one. That job position needs filled as soon as possible if the community wants to see another competitive marching band season. This is almost a mirror of what happened with the musical this year, answers were put off and put off and then when and agreement was made it was too late to run auditions and have adaquate time for rehersals.

Those along with others are some of the main points that need brought up at the next meeting, the donations would be a nice gift however it seems as though it really wont help in what really needs done. I can fill this entire page in on any information they might need or wanna know about. Just leave a question and I will do my best to resond. Hope to see everyone at the meeting on May 8th.

Robert
cchoover

Post by cchoover »

Going back to what jayestewart said about kids not being able to pay band dues: Our program is set up so that anyone who wants to join band will be able to regardless of financial standings. We have the opportunity to fundraise every cent of our $150 yearly fee, which is a great aspect of how it's set up right now.

The music department is indeed lacking money, but unfortunately that's not the biggest issue on our plate. The middle school band director position has been cut by the administration, which means the high school choral and band directors [who are overworked as it is] will need to fill the needs of that part of the program. The entire HS schedule will need to be rearranged to accomidate the needs of the middle schoolers. So my guess is that if we start a huge donation campaign, maybe it should center around saving the middle school director's position.
CJYoung

Support for the TAHS Music Department

Post by CJYoung »

First of all....WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T READ MUSIC, Harlow????
Continuing...
I would like to thank all of you who have expressed your support (financial and otherwise) to YOUR music department. You are all examples of what Gerry and I strived to create for so many years. Yes, Music is one of the subjects not mandated by the State but it can and should be supported by all means. Other school districts across the state are feeling the same pinches that we are with decreasing funds, increased testing (you have NO idea what that's like now), etc. What has hurt us even further are "programs" that limit student's scheduling even further. Example: 9th graders cannot take electives (except Band/Choir), Band/Choir is ONE class (on a rotating basis) now..remember when Concert Band was first period and Concert Choir was last period with Jazz Band and POPS/Ensemble in between? The very existance of the Jazz Band (we HAD 3 just 3 years ago, is in grave danger presently. With the creation of an "Academic Academy" (formerly known as gifted/top track...and yes, Harlow, I remember you were included there!) these crucial students are limited even more so. We also have Dual Enrollment (college classes taught during the HS day for credit...free to the students) early dismissal for Honor roll students (guess where the Senior members of Jazz Band went...yep, home. There are only 2 senior members of the Jazz Band currently due to this!) I could go on and on...(haven't I already?)
We need your support by writing/calling Board members to tell them your wish to sustain the Music department. The Administration stated that the classes were cut due to low enrollment and further cuts were dependent upon our numbers in the remaining classes (yes, the cuts depend upon the numbers but they already cut Music Theatre workshop, Music Survey, Piano I and II and now just Piano which means at the same time as Theory which was Theory I and II) all so we can cut a 1/2 day music teacher, Tom Verzella. I am pretty exasperated by the situation because it will effect ALL areas of the Dept. in order to pick up these THREE (yes just 3 classes). Add the fact that yes, there is ANOTHER band director in our futures and it's not a happy picture. Let's see there was Roberts, Hartman (let's not even go there), Mauceri, Roberts (return of), Laird, Patterson... Dave Schopp was a great idea but he was interviewed long ago and won't return for the salary.
In conclusion ... your donations are a great idea and can be set up for the Fall but what we really need is your support to encourage the Board NOT to cut the half day instrumental position which is crucial to the survival and future of the Instrumental program.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. My 35 years at TAHS have flown by and I will miss is dearly. I had planned on teaching one more year to get the new Band person on their way..but now ??? I would NOT take the "let's wait and see what the Board does"...it's too late then!

Thank you again and I apologize for my First attempts at this Form thing.
Always remember TAHS with a smile and keep your love of the arts and Music alive for the next generation.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Love,
CathyYoung

PS Reading music is NOT a big deal either...come back to TAHS anytime and I'd be glad to teach you!
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

wow has things changed THAT much since we went to high school?

when is that meeting again? i think maybe instead of being in here on this forum complaining, i should voice MY opinion.......and my kids dont go to this school district. no offense cathy, but this school system suxx! my kids live in WVa....and they have elem, MS AND high school programs for band. why does tyrone have a problem with the musical programs? this is a good question to ask the school board......