TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
rjgherrity

Post by rjgherrity »

So next Tuesday, May 8th, is the next school board meeting in which the public can voice their concerns and bring up topics that hopefully the school board will discuss in their executive session. I've noticed many do not live in the state or area anymore and that makes it difficult for those of you to speak to the board members, however those that do letters to them would be very welcomed along with phone calls. Another idea is that you can post on here what you would like to know more about and either myself or someone else can bring it up at the next meeting. Just post what you would like to be asked and I will be sure to take down notes on their response and repost so everyone can be active in this potentially devistating blow to the music department.

I will be trying to get answers on the reasons behind the middle school band directors job being cut along with when they plan on advertising for the high school band directors job. Because I'm sure everyone here knows it takes quite a few months to plan for a competitive marching band season and if the board and administration wait until it's too late to hire then the season will either be a very poor one at best or non-existant.

If you can send letters asking the same questions as well as other questions concerning the future of the department that would be greatly appreciated by myself and the many who wish to keep this program alive.

Thanks for the support shown so far and please continue in this struggle.

Robert
CJYoung

"Proposed" Cuts in TAHS Music Program

Post by CJYoung »

Again, a special thank you to all of you who have expressed support for the TAHS Music program. It is quite satisfying to read your comments and remberances of the program of past years.
#1. Cindy Witby is no longer on the board but, get ready for this, Amy Stever (former DRUM MAJOR of the TAHS band) is.
#2. You are right about the current board:
Rev. Norman Huff: daugher, Debbie, current music educator
Luther Laird: son is FORMER TAHS band director, now in Hollidaysburg Jr. Hi. left because of the scheduling "glass ceiling"
Amy Stever: former TAHS choir and Band member
Bill Hartsock: wife former State band member, son is extremely active in the arts and was a fantastic tuba player and almost music major
Jim Crawford: daughter was in choir, always expresses his support of our programs/musical (another BAD story for another time)
Lee Stover: BOTH son and daughter were in TAHS musicals and daughter continues to participate in drama at PSU Main campus
Pete Dutrow: said he supports the arts
Ray Detwiler: daughters and son participated(s) in band. Eldest daughter went to State's on Bass Cl.
Brian Bressler: always supports the music program, we sang for his presentation to the STATE school board conference last Spring.

That's it...the students wishing to scheduling the muisc classes are NOT low, the actual scheduling of the students is the problem. Middle school programs are thriving, mostly. But the HS scheduling is killing us. ALL classes are to meet everyday for 1/2 yr (semester) or ALL year for full credit, thus limiting electives. The entire TAHS staff has been cut for next year. Crazy times!

We would appreciate any help you can offer the Dept. by letters, phone calls to keep the 1/2 day Music position currently held by Tom Verzella. If he is furloughed the "new" band director and myself are to cover these classes...which would limit the senior high programs even further!

Thank you again for the "best of times"... we greatly appreciate your kind words.
Cathy Young

Reading music IS like reading English..you do not read letters/notes you read words/musical phrases and transfer them into thoughts/sounds. It's just another language with symbols..that's it! But then again, if Mrs. Lloyd was a problem for you....ha!
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Harlow »

Mrs. Young,

Somehow I was able to be in the Gifted Program (How I got there was beyond me) and still in Band.

Now that the Princess (Becky Erb) is gone, maybe there is a chance to schedule what is right for the students, not to make the Princess Superintendent material.

Believe it or not, I think Dr. Miller is reasonable and if someone found a way to schedule the classes so the kids can take the advanced courses and stay in the music program it would be possible.

What I would love to see is the Band Program get back to where it used to be.

Gerry wouldn't let us do our field music until we played the National Anthem, Alma Mater and Tyrone Will Shine to his satisfaction.

Remember the reason I wanted to play Tri-Toms Mrs. Young, I had the chance to make up my own parts.

Good luck with the Board and administration.

Harlow
rjgherrity

board meeting moved

Post by rjgherrity »

The School Board meeting for the month of May has been moved to Monday May 7th...please tell everyone who wishes to attend. The more in attendance the better. We need high numbers to show the board that we are serious about wanting to keep this program. Tell all alumnist you know and get them to attend it starts at 7pm down in the board room of the elem. school.
BHartsock

Post Meeting

Post by BHartsock »

Well, I haven't posted anything on this Discussion board since I was a moderator of it but I guess the time has come.

The music department was represented very well at last nights board meeting. Many committed students, parents and community members were involved in the discussion.

Following the public input, the superintendent made the comment that "There is nothing to debate" and that he would not discuss the subject. He then clicked on a projector and made a presentation on enrollment numbers. The numbers showed a decrease in the student body from K and up. He also showed a number of other proposed cuts to the school district that would increase the students class sizes and limit opportunities. I am not only an advocate for the music department, but also for the vocational programs, community outreach programs and other programs that help enrich students while passing through the Tyrone Area School District.
(I do not include any extracurricular activities in this because they are not on the butchers block at this time, however, I support ALL extracurricular activities that promote team building, personal development and positively impact students)

Some time ago when building the new 10 million dollar addition to the district, they were "preparing for a growth in enrollment", and the numbers that Dr. Miller presented to the board expressed that. However, the numbers presented last night show quite the opposite.

The reason that the numbers in the music department, specifically, have dropped is due to the fact that students are not able to schedule them. The courses that Dr. Miller showed low numbers for are not even on the course booklet. I invite you to go the the Tyrone Area School District website http://www.tyrone.k12.pa.us and download these course booklets. Look at the few opportunities that the children of this community have.

Don't get me wrong, English, Math, Science, etc... are the core of the district and should be. Not to sound cliche, but doesn't all work and no play make Johnny a dull boy?

The next board meeting is slated for June 12, 2007. The community needs to take action against these cuts. Teacher negotiations are here and the board will be faced with some tough decisions based on the wants and needs of the district teachers.

Decisions need to be made with the students in mind. A school can not be run like a business. I am a member of retail management and we have recently been faced with many cuts to help boost productivity. It is the job of administration to work night and day to help keep whats right for everyone. Explore every avenue and possibility before a drastic decision is made.

I hope I do not seem too one sided with this message, I want to keep in mind what is best for the community. Tyrone has been my home now for over 20+ years and I see more disturbing things happening each day. This is sort of the "last straw" for me. (there I go with the cliche again)

Let me leave you with this.... I have been searching the websites of school districts that have instituted similar program cuts and the outcome was almost unanimous. Schools that have cut the fine arts, vocational and other non-core studies have shown a decrease in morale, attendance AND test scores, an increase in vandalism and disruptions, and within an average of 3 years had to add extensive disciplinary staff to account for the problems created by unchallenged and unfulfilled youth. The addition of the disciplinary staff on average is more costly than keeping the non-core classes.

Don't forget that there are seven ways to communicate information, words and numbers are only 2 of them. Movement, sounds, images, objects and spaces make up our every day lives.

Some other facts to leave you with:

"According to a nationwide survey taken in 2003 by the Gallup organization, 95% of Americans believe that music is a key component in a child's well-rounded education. Eighty percent of respondents agreed that music makes the participants smarter; 78% believe that learning a musical instrument helps students perform better in other subjects areas; and 88% believe participation in music helps teach children discipline.

The evidence found by the College Entrance Examination Board showed students in an arts appreciation class scored 63 points higher on verbal and 44 points higher on math than students with no arts participation. "

I thank you for taking the time to read this post and thank the community for their ongoing support of the programs that enrich and stimulate the students of the Tyrone School District.

Best Regards,

Bill Hartsock (Jr.)
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Thank you for the update!!
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Great post Bill! :thumb:

Glad to hear from you... and hope all is well in your neck of the woods! Image
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Bill,

The question is what did your Dad have to say about this?

Sounds like Dr. Miller is turning into Mayor Stoner on this issue.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

as usual, if its not in front of me, i forget. thanks for the post and update. i agree with you john on this one.......dr.miller=mayor mccheese?? maybe Dr. Miller has run his course in tyrone school district. maybe there should be new blood infused into the running of this area.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I attended the school board meeting last night and was very happy to see so many of the students and parents there in support of the Arts at TAHS. While listening I thought to myself how could anyone listen to these students and parents and still not see the need for the Arts in Tyrone. The numbers they gave on how much it adds to student moral and the overall performance of students was amazing to me. Not only did they numbers show but you could see how important this program is to the students. Then.... Dr. Miller stood up. I do have to admit that I never attended a school board meeting and I've only ever heard him speak at my sons graduation but when he started talking I couldn't believe what I heard. Never hearing him before I thought that he was a man that was very angry at the youth there and the parents in attendance.. I felt he treated them like they didn't know what it was like to have to juggle numbers... I don't see the man budging at all on his stance!
After the meeting my son said to me one of the AP classes next year will have one student. Not that I think they should get rid of AP classes but come on... why can't the students that love and value the arts be given the same opportunity, especially if that is what they plan on studying when they attend college? Dr. Miller also stated that alot of teachers will be leaving after this year, doesn't that open up some money ... new teachers won't receive the rate most of those teachers let behind. I don't know anything about school financing and would never even act like I do, but I do know what the Arts do for a student.
I hope that the school board members take to heart what is important for the students, even if its just a handful they deserve to be given a full rounded education, thats what makes a well rounded adult.
BHartsock

response....

Post by BHartsock »

First in response to Harlow, Due to the confidentiality of the board I do not really discuss these things with my father. Too many gray areas that I do not wish to get myself involved with. Also the board is not allowed to make comments, only ask questions. What I can say is that my dad has always supported both my mother and I and our love of the arts. Remember though, 5 votes are needed to Y/N an issue placed before the board.

Beck, I'm glad that someone else noticed and commented on the way that the public was approached by the superintendent. It was almost as if he was talking down to the community and that which they stand for.

Remember, A school board should not work for a superintendent; A superintendent should work for a School Board and the board for its community.

A fact that some people unfortunately do not know... The school board is a Voluntary/Unpaid elected position. Members of the board are not employees of the district, they are representation of you and I, the tax payers.

Please continue to fight for this and other issues. This is the product of a lack of community involvement. Unfortunately, we (myself included) often ignore small issues that snowball into large problems like this. Many times it is too late but I don't think that is the issue here. A decision has not yet been made and I personally do not plan on stepping down until one has.

All My Best,

Bill Hartsock (Jr.)
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Bill,

Make sure you get your Dad in the right vote column. He can discuss anything you ask him with the exception of hiring or firing.

He can talk budget, scheduling, anything you feel like asking, but legal matters and personnel issues are private.

Let's hope your Dad, Amy Stever, Rev. Huff, and two others vote to make sure the Music Program is restored to the day when your Mom and I were in band.
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

Maybe someone should show the board this site and they can see how people in and out of the area feel. It might not do any good but it might open someones eyes to the opinions of the public and all who are concerned for the youth in Tyrone.
BHartsock

response....

Post by BHartsock »

Harlow.... Because the main part of this issue is a personnel issue (The collapsing of Tom Verzella's position), it is a gray area to me.

As you have noticed with her previous postings, Cathy Young is aware of this board and I will be sure to make my Dad and anyone else aware of it that I can.

I am and will continue to do all I can to help.... but more than one or several people will be required to overcome this.

Best,

Bill Hartsock (Jr.)
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Great post!

I believe that all districts in PA are going to be in trouble financially with this new Act 1 that could happen. I also think that we will be facing a struggle in all districts that will be hurtful for the kids. It's sad that it will come down to cutting the vocational, arts, and music just because it's not mandated by the state to offer those classes. I think there are many ways for school districts to cut expenses without cutting program.