TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
akindergartenmom
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by akindergartenmom »

banksy wrote:I don't know enough about the middle school to know if in the long run it pays for itself by eliminating the upkeep of the elementary schools. Is K-6 in middle school or just 6-8, 6-9? Where do Tyrone students go to elementary school?
Just so you know, middle school is 5-8. The Elementary building houses head start, pre-k programs for ages 3 and 4, and kindergarten through 4th grade. This year they also housed St. Matthews school b/c they are being remodeled. My daughter is in the 5th grade at the middle school and quite honestly, I feel 5th grade is too young for that! All of the elementary schools are combined into one building now!

So bringing this back to the band issue, what is the grades for elementary band now that middle school starts in 5th grade? Is it 4th grade now? When I was in school elementary band was 5th and 6th grade. Does anybody know??
SMOKEJUMPER

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

Hi, it's smokejumpers wife with a few comments.
There isn't an elementary band any more since our kids had to move to that rediculous $10 million dollar building that was not needed. :? The fourth grade students learn to read some music and play a recorder now. The 5th grade has it's own band as does the 6th grade. Their concert is tomorrow night at 7:00 in the high school auditorium. :D Mr Vervella is such a nice fun caring man I think it is horrible that they want to eliminate his position. :x Our kids need him. Dr Miller needs to retire and let some young blood take over. He's over paid in my opinion as is the new assistant I'm sure. If he would retire, then the district could not use $$$ as one of the many excuses for not keeping the middle school band director or for not hiring two new 6th grade teachers that are needed to replace the 2 retiring!! That's another subject that needs attention as well. :stick:

I for one have not been able to attend the meetings due to baseball games for my children however I did sign the petition at Kopp drug and I will continue to spread the word in support of the music department.

I loved band from the first day I picked up my flutaphone in 4th grade 'til I graduated playing the flute. I was also in colorguard, majorettes, and concert choir. I will never forget all the lessons learned the friendships made, and the best times ever in school. Thanks to Cathy,Gerry, Mr.Dunlap, and Laura Harris. :thumb:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
akindergartenmom

I, too, enjoyed everything I learned from all of the instructors. I have not been to the meetings b/c my kids are involved in the TCP's production of the Jungle Book and we have been practicing like crazy, but petition is signed and I love the music program. I do know that the new assistant makes $92,000/year. That was in the Tyrone Herald. I moved back here from a large city in Virginia and the schools did pay anybody that much, including the superintendant. That money sure could go a long way in securing Mr. Verzella's job!!!
julio

Post by julio »

My Dad told me that Mr.Miller has always been real good to the Football program and that's what really counts.

If you don't have a strong sports program there's really no point in having a band, right?
I mean, come on, their only purpose is to provide some entertainment at halftime - that and march in a parade every once in awhile.

I have 2 more years in the football program - so I'd rather see them cut some music classes instead of sports. Kids can take music lessons on their own - I don't know of anywhere that I can take football lessons.

Keep up the good work Dr. Miller. :thumb:
rjgherrity

Post by rjgherrity »

So I just got off the phone with one of the school board members and had the situation explained me to about Mr. V's position and the possibility of it being cut. It seems as though Dr. Miller threw in this position cut along with the 07-08 budget and that if the board approves the new budget then that would mean the elimination of his position. We, as a community, need to contact as many school board members and beseech to them to vote "NO" on the 07-08 budget. This will then force them, the board, to revise the budget and allow them to keep the position that Mr. V holds.
From what the board member I was talking to said, it is looking like an 8-1 vote to approve the budget. Please, the music dept. and myself calls upon those that read this to act and contact every board member and find out what their vote is and see if we can't get them to vote no.
akindergartenmom

[
quote="julio"]My Dad told me that Mr.Miller has always been real good to the Football program and that's what really counts.

If you don't have a strong sports program there's really no point in having a band, right?
I mean, come on, their only purpose is to provide some entertainment at halftime - that and march in a parade every once in awhile.

I have 2 more years in the football program - so I'd rather see them cut some music classes instead of sports. Kids can take music lessons on their own - I don't know of anywhere that I can take football lessons.

Keep up the good work Dr. Miller. :thumb:[/quot
This is wrong on so many levels. When I was in the band, the football team was terrible!!! Our team only won one or two games every season and this was in the early 90's. Everybody showed up to see the band. We were so large that we could stretch the whole length of the football field. We have won many trophies in competition and were invited to Atlantic Coast Championships and placed all four years I was in the senior band. There is an educational benefit to music as well. Studies show that students who participate in music excel in school. The purpose of band is not to learn an instrument, you do that before you join. Band teaches team building, helps with self-esteem and confidence. Sports programs do that as well, this is just a different outlet some choose rather than sports. There is nothing wrong with sports or music, however, this is not about sports vs. music. This is about enrollment dropping in the music programs b/c of the scheduling system at the schools. Those of us who are proud Golden Eagle Marching Band Alumni are concerned with the downfall of the music program, not just band, but chorus as well. We are trying to save the music!!! Dr. Miller has been around too long and we need someone younger who realizes that it is possible to keep the music program intact without dismissing capable teachers!!!
MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

I agree.
I believe that there is an inverse ratio between football and band performance.
The equation works something like this
(+X)F=(-X)B; as well as (-X)F=(+X)B
Where X stands for performance, F stands for football, and B stands for band, the greater the success of the football program, the worse the band sounds; the less successful the football program is, the better the band sounds.
I went to the state football championship last year and never heard such crap in all my life. I mean, the national anthem has brought tears to my eyes on occasion, but, never made my ears bleed.
Maybe, if we cut the football program we could breathe new life into the music department?
Just throwing this out there.
Discuss.
SMOKEJUMPER

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

I must say I totally agree with "akindergartenmom". When I was in band the football team stunk so bad that finding a seat was no problem. The band was what everyone came to see. 8) There were over 100 musicians and 40 colorguard/majorettes. We won Chapter Championships every year as well as every competition we went to. At Atlantic Coast Championships we placed as high as 7th place and that was with everybody shook up from being in a wreck on the way to the competition!! We went to Myrtle Beach and blew away the competition by at least 10 points!! We need to find a band director to bring this program back and not have a superintendant that wants to eliminate the music. :x Besides, I think more students go on to major in music than they do in football. :wink: Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sports also. But cutting either would be and IS wrong!! :mob:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
rjgherrity

Post by rjgherrity »

Well apparently its not just the superintedent, news from Mercersburgh (where our profound principle went to become superintendent) is that they are facing a very similar problem. Superintendent Erb has proposed that they eliminate a music position there. Yes we can place this blame on Dr. Miller but don't forget that Rebecca Erb was involved as well.
julio

Post by julio »

akindergartenmom wrote: this is not about sports vs. music.
Okay. Guess I misunderstood what was going on.
I think it's cool that kids learn how to play music.
I used to want to do that, but Dad said it would make me soft.
He said football would toughen me up.
Looking back I guess he was right.
I hardly think about it anymore.
Besides now that I play football he stopped calling me names.
So as long as they leave the sports team alone I'm okay with everything.

...I still like Dr.Miller though. :D
MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

julio.
I have to disagree with your father. Playing football doesn't make you tough.
I've seen plenty of quarterbacks and kickers who couldn't tough their way out of a wet paper bag.
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

Julio, Your father calling you names because you weren't on the football team in WRONG!!!! It doesn't matter what you do as long as you are happy.
Speedo

Post by Speedo »

julio wrote:

Keep up the good work Dr. Miller. :thumb:
julio wrote:Besides now that I play football he stopped calling me names.
So as long as they leave the sports team alone I'm okay with everything.
First off, whether there is a strong sports program or not, there's always a point in having a band.

Second, our only purpose is not just for parades and halftime. We have concerts. We have competitions. We have parades. We have halftime. We have graduation. We have fun. We've had tons of concerts, with a lot of attendance. We've had competitions, and even though we may not have won a lot this year, think about this-look at all the accomplishments of the past. Plus our band was made up of a lot of newbies this year, one being myself. The parades...wow. They're not just parades, especially this year, we were accepted into the televised Pittsburgh Macy*s parade!

Yes, the football team does give us a reason to get out and play more, but it's not our number one priority. The people are. And like said earlier, it's not a band vs. sports type thing. We don't want the sports program taken away, and I can't see a reason why sports people would want the music program taken away. I'm involved in both music and sports. They're both fun, and they both teach us valuable lessons. We're just trying to prevent the cutting of our program. Wouldn't you do the same if they wanted to cut football?

Kids can take lessons for music, but it's not the same as being in an ensamble. The band is like a team. We work together to accomplish something. Just like a sports team works together to accomplish a win.

Your father calling you names is none of my business, so I won't touch upon that. And to finish off with what was said in the last sentence of the quote, just like they're considering cutting parts of the music program, and I'm fighting to save it, I'd do the same for sports-any sport-if they did it there too.

Seeing Mr. Verzella's position in such jeapordy makes me sick in my stomach. I'm highly upset about this, and I'm doing EVERYTHING I can to save the music. With 3 years left at Tyrone, I want something musical to look forward to. At the closing of the band banquet/dance last Friday, I was brought to tears...we had a memory circle, where each member of the band would state their favorite memory of band/marching band. Please, call the school, write a letter, let them know that band was a part of your life, and how much it means to the students in it today. Thank you.

Christina
cchoover

Post by cchoover »

Yo Julio:

We don't have benchwarmers in marching band.

[doesn't matter whether you are one or not, I have no idea even who you are... the point is, EVERYONE participates and gets credit from the community when you're in the music program. How many on the football team are just another kid on the sideline that just happens to be wearing the same jersey as the ones on the field?]

BUT the title of this thread is NOT 'Band Vs. Football', so I'll shut up now.
BHartsock

Post by BHartsock »

Correct... this is not a Band vs. Football Discussion.... and after all... there is no band vs. football as far as i'm concerned.....

Julio I think it shows horrible taste that you would repeat a comment like that on this board. I believe that both you and your father lack understanding of the music department (which is certainly not a bad thing if you are not interested), but perhaps you should do some research before making posts such as you did.

If you really want me to go into the comparison of team sports and competitive music ensembles and the values and teamwork that they provide young people I would be more than happy to.

I know I tend to be full of sayings that are cliche but "To each his own"... As long as you have something that you are passionate about.... give it your all... be it Football, track, band, choir, metal shop, etc.... but don't look down on other people because they do not share your interests...

Thank You!

Bill Hartsock (Jr.)