TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
SMOKEJUMPER
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

That is great news rjgherrity!! :bluebounce:

My son will be glad to hear that. :D After the concert he was really upset about Mr V possibly losing his job. He really likes Mr.V. :hail:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I notice a big difference in the football games when the bands aren't there. Does anyone else..? especially during play-off time. I think getting new band directors so often really hurts the program but more importantly the kids... To me, Football and Band go together... I hope it always stays that way..
Speedo

Not yet.

Post by Speedo »

rjgherrity wrote:good news for now everyone...the school board has made a compromise not to cut anything from the music department this year. However, what this means for next year nobody knows. I just thought i'd pass on the word that the music department is spared for one more year.
Although this is great news, I'm not celebrating yet. Until we know for sure what is going to happen next year, and in future years, I'm still thinking of things to do to improve the music department.

That's all for now. ^_^

Christina
rjgherrity

Post by rjgherrity »

well put Beck, I agree full on with that. I'm sure most of the town does too, even without some of them noticing it. And speedo I know what you mean, we won the fight however the war is only put on hold. The big test will come next year when Mrs. Young retires. Hopefully we can have alot more support and show the board that we need the program to remain as is and it should only be built upon, not taken down a notch. I will continue to fight for this program through college, and hopefully by 2011 there will be some changes in the board and higher administrative staff so that we wont have to constantly worry how long this program will last. Keep the support going and keep the fight up, its still a long road from here.[/quote]
zapatista

Re: Not yet.

Post by zapatista »

Despite the recent victory, there are some disturbing rumors circulating.

Apparently there is a proposal before the school board to revamp the entire Music program and curriculum after Mrs.Youngs retirement. Rather than fill her position, the district will purchase 30 Sony Playstations which students will use to play "Guitar Hero" on. Proponents say that the new program will appeal more to youngster's accustomed to multimedia presentations and bring the curriculum into the 21st century.

Can anyone verify this?
SMOKEJUMPER

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

Right on Beck. That is so true. Even the football players can't argue that. I've noticed on Saturday games if the band is at a competition, the crowds are flat without them and the team gets flat sometimes as well. :zzz: Anyway, I hope everyone will keep up the fight for our awesome musicians in the future. :thumb: I know I will.
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
MediumGreek

Re: Not yet.

Post by MediumGreek »

zapatista wrote:Despite the recent victory, there are some disturbing rumors circulating.

Apparently there is a proposal before the school board to revamp the entire Music program and curriculum after Mrs.Youngs retirement. Rather than fill her position, the district will purchase 30 Sony Playstations which students will use to play "Guitar Hero" on. Proponents say that the new program will appeal more to youngster's accustomed to multimedia presentations and bring the curriculum into the 21st century.

Can anyone verify this?
This seems to be another suburban legend Zapatista.
From my inquiries with the school, there is no chance that Tyrone students would get Sony Playstations. Maybe some super pong games.
Speedo

Band Concert

Post by Speedo »

Well, this is kinda' late, but I thought I'd post it anyway, for those of you interested...

TAHS Band Concert
Tonight at 7
In the Auditorium

Hope to see you there. ^_^

Christina
tyroniepa

Post by tyroniepa »

Here's a great blast from the past!! The band was unstoppable then.

1987 TOB Atlantic Coast Championships

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJxZeNNmC0

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wIPiaFm4Mk
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

tyroniepa wrote:Here's a great blast from the past!! The band was unstoppable then.

1987 TOB Atlantic Coast Championships...
Even though I was living in California at the time, I still recall getting word of how well the band was doing back then.

It's just more of the Tyrone musical traditions that should never be allowed to slip away.
tyroid

Post by tyroid »

I watched the video. 1987?

Didn't you guys have buckets back then?

Cause it seems like you all are having trouble carrying a tune.
MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

The 83 band could actually march AND play music.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

Well, that WAS ancient-technology recording equipment compared to the current stuff...I'd say it probably doesn't reflect the real quality of the sound. :thumb:
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

Does anyone have video of the band in the early 90's? If you do could you post it on youtube and give the link? I was in the band then, and I do not have any video. Sure would love to see it!!
scoutmom

Post by scoutmom »

I'd love to see the year of Myrtle Beach. We really did awesome that year!! :thumb:
stop and take time to smell the flowers