TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Tyrone Pride
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Tyrone Band Program

Post by Tyrone Pride »

I would donate to this every year. First I would want the support of Gerry's family. Second, I would like to know that the new band director is going to show some pride and effort as well as the band members. Lastly, I would want to make sure that the money would be spent on the right things by the right people. Maybe having a person from the Gerry Robert's memorial Fund committee sit in on the Band Boosters meetings. I have to agree with harlow. Gerry was one of the teachers that I had the most respect for. He was a great teacher, mentor and a great friend. I miss him very much. I still want to start an alumni band. Anybody interested?? We could play the Star Spanggled Banner and the Tyrone Alma matter for Homecomming???
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

OK Tyrone Pride. I guess it will be just you and me in the Alumni Band. I twirled silk, but I did play flute on field my freshman year and I still now the Alma Mater and SSB. However, I would like to play the version we played under Gerry, not the revamped version for a few years ago. It just doesn't sound the same! I agree with you about the new band director and students having to show pride if we were to have a memorial fund. I remember we had to wear our uniforms in the stands and could only wear a coat if it was our band coat or a black coat. I was very dissapointed at a game last year when I noticed the band running around with only half of their uniform on. Not very good representation for our band program. Just one other thing Gerry would be upset about. No respect for the uniform! I would give to this fund every year as well, and keep hoping the band will be great again. I don't anything about this new director other than he is supposed to be coming from a school in New Jersey, but after a couple of years with the program (b/c it won't be overnight), I am hoping to see a major change for the better. I wish him and all of the students good luck this year, make us proud!
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

I stopped by the school last week when I was in Tyrone and left my phone number for the new director to contact me regarding this discussion we have been having. I also spoke with the President of the Band Boosters and told her that there are a lot of us out there that would be willing to help support the band. I am waiting for a contact back to see how to proceed. I agree with Harlow we need to have the blessing of the family if we proceed with the Roberts fund.

There was a suggestion from some in the community that perhaps this group of alumni might set up a fund to make up the shortfall in the spring musical that the chorus and band have historically presented each year. The contribution from the board has been decreased for this event.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I don't think we as alumni need to start up a fund.

We made our money for competitions by having a Summer Band. Our band was paid appearance fees that helped pay for our competitions. To do that, the kids have to show they want to be there.

Summer Band wasn't mandatory, but it helped your place in the field band. I would have never played Tri-Toms as a sophomore if I wasn't willing to strap them on that summer.

We had the Chicken BBQ at the Park to help defray the costs.

I know a lot of kids work at the park, but I also know when we were in school, we had a lot of kids work there too, and Pete Gardella would schedule around band activities.

We were a good band because we had a great leader in Gerry Roberts. We also had a bunch of kids who enjoyed band and wanted to excel every time we put on the uniform and stepped on the field.

I never saw the 4th of July fireworks until after I graduated because I was in Osceola Mills and Brockway every 4th of July.

Just as in life, how bad do you want it?
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

If I can't band, I can't band. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about band. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about band. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about band, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about band. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about band man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about band. We're talking about band man. We're talking about band. We're talking about band. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about band.
Blain

Post by Blain »

yes, we're not talking about professional eating or anything important like that.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Well I know when I was in band people donated to our band so for those of us who would like to pass it on, we are willing to donate so when there is a fund set up I am going to donate.
Tyrone Pride

Tyrone Band

Post by Tyrone Pride »

banksy wrote:If I can't band, I can't band. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about band. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about band. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about band, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about band. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about band man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about band. We're talking about band man. We're talking about band. We're talking about band. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about band.
Sorry man. This was important to a lot of us. If you don't want to hear about the band..It's simple..Don't read the posts anymore. We may have not gone for the touchdown but we had pride and competed and won year after year. It wasnt a fluke. We were just that good. Band may not be important to you but to me it was one of the best things I did my whole life. :thumb:
Mags

Re: TAHS Band Program

Post by Mags »

Harlow wrote:

Get someone who cares, give them the resources and re-build the band program. Start them in grade school and build.
Additionally, I would add that the school district hire someone *experienced* with proven band director credentials, instead of the relatives/buddies of the school board for the position.
banksy
MVP Member

Re: Tyrone Band

Post by banksy »

Tyrone Pride wrote:
banksy wrote:If I can't band, I can't band. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about band. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about band. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about band, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about band. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about band man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about band. We're talking about band man. We're talking about band. We're talking about band. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about band.
Sorry man. This was important to a lot of us. If you don't want to hear about the band..It's simple..Don't read the posts anymore. We may have not gone for the touchdown but we had pride and competed and won year after year. It wasnt a fluke. We were just that good. Band may not be important to you but to me it was one of the best things I did my whole life. :thumb:
My post was an inside joke for Harlow. Sorry you took offense. It's actually a quote of a pro athlete with practice being replaced by band.
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

I understood and laughed Terry.
Tyrone Pride

Tyrone band

Post by Tyrone Pride »

Okay, my bad Terry. It did upset me. I had no idea it was a joke. I just get tired of some people on here taking cheap shots at different things on this web site. It goes from people bashing the band to bashing the hospital and its employees. I take pride in this community and everthing I have been or still am involved in. Sorry I am rambling on. :stick:
typa1805

Band Program

Post by typa1805 »

To All,

We are pleased to announce that our new band director is Mr. Mark Murphy. He comes to Tyrone with vast experience in marching band and drum & bugle corps. He is very motivated and energetic and the students really enjoy his enthusiasm. As treasurer of the band boosters organization, we welcome anyone interested in donating to the fine TAHS Marching Band program may feel free to send a tax deductible donation to: Band Boosters. Checks may be mailed to: TAHS Marching Band Boosters, C/O: Ed Kuhstos, Treasurer, 1805 Adams Avenue, Tyrone, PA 16686. We greatly appreciate any/all support to keep the marching band program alive in Tyrone. Students receive so much more than just musical talent from the fine arts program. Thank you for your continued support.

Also, our home show competition is being held on Saturday, September 23, 2007 at Gray Memorial Field. Come and support the marching band program and watch an evening of entertainment and competition from other marching bands. What would you think of organizing an Alumni band to play the National Anthem at our home show. Any/all interests can be e-mailed to kuhstos61@comcast.net or call 814-684-5096.
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

Just curious, how many responses have you gotten to your email or phone regarding this. I think it sounds like a great idea.

P.S. I saw the band practicing this morning. They are extremely small, but they sounded really good this morning. Keep up the good work!!!
Tyrone Pride

Alumni Band

Post by Tyrone Pride »

Typa1805 I have been trying to get people interested in an alumni band for months. I have had a few interested. I posted about this early in this message forum. I would love to do. It would be nice to relive playing the Star Spanggled banner and the Alma matter again at Grey Memorial Field.