TAHS Band Program

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Harlow
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

TAHS Band Program

Post by Harlow »

Here we go again, another year, another band director.

I know Gerry Roberts has to be looking down and talking to himself.

The TAHS Band program still hasn't recovered from the scandal of Hartman.

Kris Laird tried to rebuild it, but went to Hollidaysburg where there was less pressure (Jr. High), more interested students and more money.

Now the school board is looking at cutting the elementary band, jr. high band program. If you do that you will have no senior high program.

I was part of one of the best bands in the history of TAHS. (Granted I am a little biased, but our trophy count is up there) I think out of the 85 playing members in our band, at most 10 took private lessons. The other 75 learned in school.

Teaching me was much more difficult. To this day, I can't read music, but anyone who heard a TAHS Band in the 80s definately knows who I am and what I played. Gerry would voice the rythms to me and I would play them back. Without the individual teaching Gerry gave me, I probably would have been an even bigger juvenile delinquent than I was.

It may not be as cool to be in band as it once was, but the Band program needs to be fixed, not cut.

Find someone who cares like Greg Roberts does. He took a Bellwood band that was always terrible and turned them in to Champions.

Look at what Cathy Young has done with the Choral program. She has 3 kids going to State Chorus. That is almost unheard of from a small school like ours.

Get someone who cares, give them the resources and re-build the band program. Start them in grade school and build.

Harlow
Tri-Toms
TAHS Golden Eagle Marching Band
1981-83
1982-83 TOB Chapter IV Champions
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

Harlow I have to agree with you!!! I have great memories from our experience in that wonderful program. Now my one daughter is finding out what it is like being in a great organization. He sure did care about all of us and took great pride in what we all did on and off the field.

I too would love to see them find someone that cares to continue a great program.

John I never knew you couldn't read music, I would of never guessed! Good job!!!!
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

I, too, was in the Tyrone band in the late 80's early 90's. We had a great band, it is a shame to see what has happened to the band program in Tyrone. I can only hope the funding does not get cut, they would cut funds for the athletic programs, that I can guarantee.
akindergartenmom

I mean they WOULDN'T cut funds for athletics.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

It's going to be difficult the next how many years for school districts with this new Act 1 coming into play. I think we'll all be seeing unmandated things being cut in the schools. Sad but true band is not mandated. I believe that transportation isn't mandated either wouldn't that be something to cut that out just to make budget. It will be interesting to see what other school districts are handling the changes. I don't live in Tyrone anymore but I know just with our school district we are struggling to make budget without raising taxes high again. Our band raises it's own money to take the kids to competitions. The only thing our band gets from the school's budget is the teachers salary.

I would like to see a pay to play for sports.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

akindergartenmom wrote:I mean they WOULDN'T cut funds for athletics.
Don't fool yourself. They will cut what the deem they need to, starting at the top. Football most likely pays for itself. Pay for play is heading that way.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

Boy that band program sure had enough members that couldnt read music. I too was a memeber of the band in the early 80s with Harlow. I had just walked out of JV football and right into the band program as a cymbals player. I was in the band for 3 years and NEVER took a lesson. Gerry (and a few band members) taught me how to play. When i became a senior, i was playing bass drum and a lil snare. Even Harlow taught me tri-toms.......lol

Its a shame that the program has fallen on tough times. The school board needs to find a director with the same passion and heart that gerry had for Tyrone band. Im really hoping that the board doesnt axe the younger kids program in school. Without them there will be no band in senior high.
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

How about every former band member donating $10.00 to the band. There has to be thousands of us out here by now. That should help the band. Where do we mail the checks?
akindergartenmom

Not a bad idea...I just feel sorry for the kids. They are losing another band director. I'm sure they feel like they are being pushed to the side. I'll donate $10 if it would help the band increase in size a little bit. How are we supposed to get kids interested if the elementary and jr high program goes away?
SMOKEJUMPER

TAHS BAND PROGRAM

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

HI, THIS IS SMOKEJUMPERS WIFE. SOME OF THE BEST LESSONS I'VE LEARNED CAME FROM BAND WITH GERRY ROBERTS IN THE LATE 80'S EARLY 90'S. NOW MY SON IS IN THE MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND AND I WAS VERY PROUD WHEN HE JOINED. I'D HATE TO SEE THIS PROGRAM DISAPPEAR. I'D BE WILLING TO DONATE $10 AND I THINK OTHERS WOULD BE GLAD TO DO THE SAME. IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE SOMEBODY COME IN AND TAKE OVER THAT CARED AS MUCH AS MR. ROBERTS DID. :thumb:
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

i think we might be on to something with this $10 donation idea. i'd be willing to fork over $10 for the band so that they can continue playing year in and year out......

:thumb:
jayestewart
MVP Member

Post by jayestewart »

Gerry Roberts was the director of the band in the 70's too so there are a lot of people out there whose life was touched by his contribution to TAHS. How about we set up the fund in his name and it then be used by the band for things they need?
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

I'm in!
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Me too! :P
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

I have emailed this thread to one of the teachers at the high school Mrs. Young and I will find out who else needs to read this to be able to set up to recieve the donations.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth