Business Ethics

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
BeachBiker
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by BeachBiker »

jokerman wrote:You know, I've been thinking about opening a new gas station down by Sheetz. Does anyone have any synonyms for "regular", "super", or "premium"?...
If I ever return back to Tyrone for a visit, the first thing I will do is fill up at your business.

Then, I will avoid both East End AND Mac's.

Not because of anything going on as far as the current controversy. It's just that I'll be too full of Lion's Inn burgers and pizza from The Hub and Mario's. :thumb:

And, Country School chicken. I'll go there first - unless that punk smart*ss kid with the motorcycle still works there, that is... :devil:
someone1991

Post by someone1991 »

I would have to say the just because Mac's is selling hoagies just like East Ends dont mean nothing because one East End does not have good hours, two I remember when East End hoagies used to be made bigger and better just like Mac's makes them, and three i heard that Mac ask for them to sell the business to him or something like that and they said that he did not have the money to buy them out. You know if Tyrone businesses work together as well as everyone in this town should, there would be alot more respect for tyrone and alot more loyalty towards the town.

This is just from my point of view I didnt mean to affend someone if i did.
jokerman

Post by jokerman »

Hey Beach Biker!!!
You know we'll be open 24/7 if we know you're heading our way! I haven't seen any of the pix you were snapping appear anywhere on this site or the net in general. Saving some for a "special occasion"??? There's gotta be some ammo there! It was good seeing you guys! You GOTTA get up here at some point now that the snow is gone...if you can drag yourself away from all that sun, sand, and, uh...scenery.
As far as the hoagie "wars" go, it's about time something sparked a little discussion on this board. Personally, either one gives me major heartburn so I don't indulge often anyway. It will be interesting to see who's open after the football games...I remember East End used to be.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

jokerman wrote:... I haven't seen any of the pix you were snapping appear anywhere on this site or the net in general. Saving some for a "special occasion"???...
Well, I haven't posted any pictures that I took - but here is that one that your wife took with my camera of you and I together last month trying to find a good hoagie here in Myrtle Beach:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i26/B ... twins2.jpg

We really need an East End or Mac's down here. :thumb:
jokerman wrote:...It will be interesting to see who's open after the football games...I remember East End used to be.
I remember that ANYONE who was open would get extremely busy as soon as the game was over. At the "Chicken Shack", we would get absolutely BOMBARDED with phone calls and walk-in orders.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I have tried both Hoagies and they are very similar. I have also tried both Pizza's and they are nothing alike. I mean nothing. I admit I like Mac's Pizza more and for the price and quantity and availability I will probably go for the hoagies too. As it is always been said Competition is great for the Consumer. As it is also said. There is a steering wheel in every automobile but does anyone say it is their's only?
disneyqn71

business ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

Just wanted to respond to the comment about the quality of East End Hoagies. This is one of the biggest reasons the family has been so successful after 51 years; same ingredients, same vendors, same products and same employees( love em' or hate em').

Here are the facts. East End has always had an 8 inch hoagie roll with three types of meat (cut exactly the same) and cheese. East End prepares everything FRESH and FAST. Louise still participates at 85+ years old. So the rolls have not gotten shorter, the meat has not been sliced thinner and the veggies have always been freshly cut and prepared in the same fashion.

"New Business" sells a 10 inch hoagie because the bakery WOULD NOT specially make him the 9" desired roll he sought after. The same bakery created this 8" roll especially for the Sweitzer's 51 years ago and has now marketed them everywhere since then.

I will not comment on the other slight differences that the "new business" has chosen to make. You are all right on one fact. It is a 'CHEAPER' version in my opinion. And I don't mean price. The Sweitzers have rarely raised the price from the original selling price 51 years ago and yet, have NEVER changed the ingredients or products they have sold, that has to say something.
We will see how long the "new business" will be satisfied with the decision's and choices he has made and we will see how the hoagie tastes to consumers the second, third and fourth time around.

I don't understand the comment about the steering wheel, because that is ONE part of an automobile, right? So how does that relate to this discussion?
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

Why are we still calling it a "NEW BUSINESS"? I mean, everyone has already named it. I have to say, I haven't tried the new hoagies yet, but I enjoy East End, but honestly, companies are free to order from whatever vendor they want and make their food however they want. This may be considered unethical (just referencing prior posts) but if that is how the other company wants to be, then so be it....I understand why you are upset, but that's the way business is. I moved here from Virginia, where there is a choice of many restaurants, some of them serving similar food right across the street from each other, so I don't see why having a choice is so bad. I was away 14 years and looked forward to having an East End Hoagie. But, may I suggest that they stay open late on Fridays during football season when there is a home game? That was one of my fond memories. Walking down to East End after the game. As for the pizza, I can't speak for that b/c I have never East End's, but from what I hear, the two pizzas are not similar.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Re: business ethics

Post by Bill Latchford »

disneyqn71 wrote:
"New Business" sells a 10 inch hoagie

I will not comment on the other slight differences that the "new business" has chosen to make.

I don't understand the comment about the steering wheel, because that is ONE part of an automobile, right? So how does that relate to this discussion?
How it relates is that the steering wheel (Hoagie) was someone's invention and all cars have one, they (Hoagies) all look and feel pretty much the same, but no one claims that is theirs exclusively.
You also mentioned that there are some differences in the Hoagies. So if someone likes one over the other, maybe because it's a bigger sandwich and just maybe it is because of those other "slight" differences you had mentioned. It is understandable that some people take offence to a business offering the same products. But think of it this way, two used car lots two blocks away from each other are selling cars and they both have the same model year and color of a lets say "Thunderbird" which one are you going to buy? The one with less mileage? the one with newer tires? It will be the one that makes you feel it is the right one. Now whether that is a car or a Hoagie, now there is choice. In Tyrone there was not much of a choice in Hoagies that were under $3.50 that gave you your monies worth. Like maybe 1 East End now there are 2 East End and Mac's. Let the consumer make up their mind whether these "slight" differences are enough to make the sell to them. I don't know if I made my point or not...This whole topic is really just a defense mechanism, all be it worthy, from a loyal customer / friend / family member. You certainly can't be blamed for that.
disneyqn71

business ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

I call it a "new business" because I feel that it is appropriate. If you choose to call it by its name, so be it.

You are seriously missing my point. Again, it has never been about anything other than the manner in which he went about opening his store. I posted the letter hoping to engage readers in a healthy discussion. East End is NOT the competition, so I have to laugh every time I read a comment about "competition being good for the soul...".

I don't give a hoot what vendor the "new business" does choose to use and build a relationship with, because I imagine in time he will burn those bridges as well, which will cause him to seek other vendors and then his imitation won't be an issue.

Choose who you like. You will have to solicit somewhere other than East End because it has been years since they were opened after a football game and highly doubt after 51 years they are going to change their schedule.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Hmmmmm I think you totally lost me on your last post...But all in all I think the point has been hammered home by all parties. Thanks for the spirited topic.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I think we've switched from talking about Hoagies to "sour grapes".... Both places are good. Mac's has been in business for years and if they figured out a recipe and go for it then great!! If you feel its robbing and that those that go there are "theives" ... hmmm... you better sit outside and watch who goes in and out.. some of your long time customers and personal friends of yours might not like that they aren't free to make a choice.... just a thought!
disneyqn71

business ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

I agree 100% that this topic has spun off in many directions. Some good and some bad, but to say that I better sit out and watch who goes in and out is a little absurd, don't you think? A comment like that tells me that you need to go back to page ONE and reread all of the initial posts.

My opinions are extremely bias, no doubt and for a good reason. Of course everyone does not have to agree and I can see that many don't. Naturally, you as a consumer, would want choices. Naturally, you would like an alternative, such as an East End imitation. I understand that. I should have never assumed that one could possibly understand the entire situation unless they were in business for theirselves for 51 years. What do you all do for a living? What if someone in a small town did this to you, personally? You may feel differently. We aren't talking about an urban neighborhood with restaraunts on every block. Heck, we aren't even talking about a suburban neighborhood. We are talking about TYRONE. We are talking about a community that knows everyone and everyone's business. So it is a little different and hard to compare to another town or state, like you have all tried to do in past posts.

Sour grapes? Maybe so. You say "what's the big deal..." you say, "choice is good", you say "competition is good for the soul", you say "imitation is the best form of flattery", you say "it's his right to open and make a living, copy cat or not...". I say he has no morals, ethics nor integrity to go about it in the fashion he did. To claim he has the "best" hoagie in the East end of Town, is ridiculous. Best compared to who? He was not even open for business and claiming to be the best. Don't you need feedback or some history behind your product prior to making such a claim?

I feel sorry for any individual that insists in following in the footsteps of others and fear to take the lead. Lousie and her husband took the LEAP of faith and invested their entire life, heart and soul into their business. What leap did the " new business" take? So all of you "followers" think that is ok. I don't. I think it is shameful in a small town such as Tyrone. You can't keep comparing big corporations to East End. You can't justify by sighting an example of "cars", "steering wheels", "Sheetz", "Target" or "gas stations". It is not the same.

I think this topic is more serious than some have made it out to be and I think it does deserve the attention it is receiving. What I know for sure, is that unless you are in business for yourself, you cannot appreciate what has happened. Loyalty means something to me. To some, it means nothing because GREED steps in. Having pride and integrity are qualities I feel that East End has demonstrated over the past 51 years. No matter what the future may hold for either business, no one can ever take back the memories or history that East End Pizza has provided to so many individuals over the years.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Honestly, it's getting far to personal for you it sounds to me. Dan Sprankle has a car lot and compeition doing the same thing in Tyrone. There are many small car repair shops.

It's economics 101. If the town can support two hoagies shops, they both will survive. If it can't East End will make it and the other one won't.

Are you more concerned over what Mac's is selling (a copycat) or the fact he is selling hoagies at all? How did you feel when OIP opened up shop, or Subway? All of those places, regardless of product, fight for the same meal dollar, regardless of product.
FreeEnterprise

Business Ethics

Post by FreeEnterprise »

I am writing in response to the various postings on this website concerning a "new business" in Tyrone. I would like to point out that this business is not new and has only reinvented itself to fulfill a market niche that was being neglected. I would also like to point out that capitalism and free enterprise are the cause of profits in this country. To say that East End, Austin's, and Delgrosso's are being cheated is not true. In fact, if it wasn't for capitalism, none of those companies would be in business. They did not invent the hoagie, the hotdog, and pizza. To claim that they have exclusivity because they have created a market niche is nonsense. If that would be how business worked, there would be only one brand of potato chips or one line of car and so on. I commend the business owner for realizing that he had an opportunity to make his business even more successful by meeting the demands of the market. He doesn't control the hours or vacation time of his competitor therefore why should his business suffer instead of flourish. He also has a more extensive menu and has not copied the exact three items on the competitors menu. His hotdogs and pizza are completely different not to mention that he at least offers a turkey hoagie which his competitor does not. I also find him to be incredibly nice and he makes time for small talk even at his busiest. I am not related to him or any of the parties involved and am not biased. Why is there a fuss about the fact that he is on the same block as his competitor? M&T and Reliance are one block apart. Rite Aide and Community Pharmacy are one block apart. Romano's still sells pizza even though Pizza Hut is one block away. They all exist quite nicely with one another. So to this "new business" per say, I say congrats and best of luck!! Your food is great!!
disneyqn71

business ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

How is he fulfilling a market niche that has been neglected when he is opening the same time East End is? He actually closes 1 hour before they do. He closes on Monday as well. So if he was trying to market to a neglected niche then why would he close on Mondays and why wouldn't he stay open later?
So he stays open past 1pm. Most people are finished eating luch at that time, so I don't see that 1-4 is a huge market. Sundays may be good for a while. East End was open on Sundays until about 10 years ago. It was obviously not profitable.

Makes no difference to me or anyone else, that he is open 1 block down the street. No one claimed that East End did invent the HOAGIE. They created their own style. HE DID NOT.
Rite Aide and Community Pharmacy sell other vendors merchandise. Not even a comparison. Can't hardly compare prescription drugs to hoagies, now can we?

If you knew the history of Tyrone, then you would know that Harold Sweitzer brought Middlesworth to Tyrone. Not one vendor sold them here. There were no other HOAGIE shops within miles. Sub shops yes, hoagies, NO. I commend the Sweitzers over and over again for being original and staying TRUE to theirselves and the community.

I am glad the "new business's" owner is smiling, because he has to do something while people are waiting. I wish East End employees smiled more too, but that does not take away anything from their original HOAGIE creation. I would be smiling too, if I would have stolen my neighbor's identity and stood to make a mint off of their recipe.