Business Ethics

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
disneyqn71
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Business Ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

I want to send the following letter to the Herald and Mirror. I am new to your forum and hope that no one is offended by my personal opinion. I chose my words very carefully and put a lot of thought into this entire matter. Well, you can read how I feel...

Around this time last year, you may have seen and heard all of excitement surrounding a small business in Tyrone that was proudly celebrating its 50th year of business and service to its community. East End Pizza Shop, owned and operated by Louise Sweitzer and family, hosted an old-fashioned block party like no other.

Not only did Mrs. Sweitzer receive high honors and recognition from the Mayor, she also earned the prestigious title and award of “Boss of the Year” to which she was nominated by her employees and honored by The TACO.

So my letter today serves two purposes. First and foremost to pay Mrs. Sweitzer the respect she so rightly deserves, but secondly to express my deepest concerns regarding the poor ethical decisions of another local business owner, located less than 50 yards from Mrs. Sweitzer’s source of revenue and labor adorned with success of 51 years to date.

Not only has this “new business” opened so closely to East End Pizza, but it also has replicated the only THREE products that East End Pizza has become so famous for making over the last 51 years.

Now to some who read this letter, it may appear that I am writing out of fear and panic for the future success of East End Pizza, however I assure you that this “new business” poses no threat to Mrs. Sweitzer or the longevity of East End Pizza. My intentions are quite pure. I am asking for everyone who patronizes local business’ or who may be the owner of a small business to consider the following:
Why would a “new business” want to completely destroy its company’s unique selling advantage ?
Why would a “new business” want to lose its own brand identity?
Why wouldn’t a “new business” want to have any original and creative ideas ?
Why would a “new business” want to risk getting sued for copyrighted and trademarked infringement ?
Why would a “new business” want to confuse its own customer base? .
Could the answer be because American society places such a great emphasis on success? It is perfectly justifiable to want to make full use of one's talents and provide for oneself and one's family. People involved in the world of business, however, often face situations in which advancement—whether in position, influence, or financial stature—can be gained, but only by hurting other individuals or groups.

Of course, many people in business also find themselves at crossroads wherein the ethical road is clearly marked, but see at a glance that the other road looks far more inviting because of its promises of professional or financial advancement, which appears to be the exact case in point as to why in the world a “new business” would literally steal the identity and try to replicate the products and ingredients that Mrs. Sweitzer has used for the past 51 years at her establishment.
"It is not difficult to discern right from wrong, but grasping the difference is only a first step," wrote business executive William R. Holland in Industry Week
It takes character to do the “right” thing, regardless of the expenses. To disregard your neighbor’s success and to claim to have the “best” hoagie in the east end of town in your new advertisements recently published, is considered dishonest and fraudulent in my book.

It amazes me as to the amount of effort that some people will put in to avoid an honest day’s work. This “new business” will never attain or experience the authentic feelings of success, nor will this “new business” ever come close to sustaining or executing the financial rewards that 51 years of dedication, commitment and perseverance has brought to Mrs. Sweitzer and her family.

I don’t need to ask or solicit loyal customers to continue patronizing East End Pizza, because there have been many copy cats over the last 51 years. I just feel very passionately about protecting Mrs. Sweitzer and her livelihood, after all, she is the most kind and generous loving grandmother I could ever dream of.

Best wishes, Gram. Good luck, “new business”.
And Happy Birthday to Louise Sweitzer, with love from your entire family!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

IS the new business closed every holiday. If not, I'll at least go there if I have no alternatives. Long live Sam Walton!
disneyqn71

Business Ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

Not sure what hours this "new business" will maintain. I know that patrons get so frustrated with the minimal hours that East End is open, however the demand is usually greater than the supply each week, so I can finally understand after all these years why the decision was made to be closed on Mondays as well as every holiday.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Thank you, Disney, for keeping the opening post in line with our site's tolerances. I wish your grandmother well, and here is a link to the article from last year's anniversary...

http://www.tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=7298

:D

*** Correction - Happy Birthday, Louise.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

hmmmmm business ethnics in tyrone?? thats a new one....

knowing what business that disney is talking about, they run almost the same hours (maybe a lil longer) than east end does even the holidays (but not as long being off). im a way, i feel the same way that disney does but then again, disney was right about the people getting frustrated over the early closings, shorter work week and the length of vacation and holidays that they take off for. tyrone has supported numerous restaurants, pizza places and gift/novelty shops over the years when they were abundant in the surrounding area; maybe, just maybe, the 2 businesses can co-exist and florish among each other??

just think of it this way......we have sheetz, east end and subway for subs; OIP, chill and grill, jean-os, pizza hut, east end and now bullpen for pizza; and bullpen, racers, DJs, chill and grill, joes place and whartons for dining purposes; and puff and snuff and choice for cigs......maybe we can support the 2 businesses within the same block???
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

When it comes to business you want to provide consumers with choices. Not only with Menu/Item choices but location choices. Look up in Altoona, Walmart and Target are not that far from each other. Look in the new Logan Town Center. Clothing Stores all over the place. You will always have a competition out there, you just have to decide whether or not to compete. I say that businesss' with a great reputation always keep their customers no matter what prices are offered else ware. So in my mind there is no competition for East End. Pizza and chocolate milk now there is a combination. :D
disneyqn71

Business Ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

I agree with providing choices to consumers. What I don't agree with is duplicating the EXACT 3 products, including the EXACT ingredients, using the EXACT vendors/suppliers and calling your hoagies by the EXACT name. To me, it boils down to morals and ethics. The location is just icing on the cake. Two business' selling similar products may be able to co-exist in Tryone's community. Other business' have tried unsuccessfully in the past to duplicate East End Pizza's products. This "new business" had a small advantage of having an EX-Employee of East End for many years help him try to replicate the famous East End Hoagie.
I've heard so many people over the years complain about the hours of operation and holiday/vacation schedule of East End, but those that have patronized East End over the last 51 years know that they used to be in operation 7 days a week and had extended hours in the past. Lousie is in her mid 80's and the average age of employees are over 50 so I would not expect them to maintain any other schedule than they currently do. I have had it happen many times...get my tastebuds prepared for a "cold no tomatoe", only to drive down the road and pull up in front of the shop and see the lights turned off...walk in and be told "we sold out!!!" Yes, that sucks, however the "new business" will reap those benefits I guess.

Again, it has never been about the location or the price point. It is about having INTEGRITY and trying to ride the coat tails of an 80+ year old woman and her business of 51 years.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I see it as two great choices. I don't see anything the matter with another buisness that close. Mac's was established on tradition. Tradition of a family run business and it was run just like Herberlings never left it. Its not like they just moved in there and set up shop.
Just as it was said "Sweitzers have nothing to worry about" then why worry.
djbigdawg1

Post by djbigdawg1 »

:thumb: right on beck.....

I will always go to East End first for a "hoagie"......but if they sell out or went on vacation, i will try Macs cuz i know the family and know their way of business.....family oriented.

just think of it as another compliment.......isnt imitation a form of flattery? :wink:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Is Mac's selling hoagies with an East End style recipie or just selling hoagies, like OIP, etc. I don't see anyone complaining about Sheetz running all the other places out of Tyrone.

America is all about choice... free competiition, etc. I highly doubt Mac's will even DENT the East End business, or the OIP business, or Jeano's, etc.
disneyqn71

Business Ethics

Post by disneyqn71 »

Yes. I guess everyone does not understand the point of my concern. Let me try to make this a bit more clear. This "new business" has COPIED the East End Recipe. This new business did not market a NEW idea. The owner wants to ride the coat tails of East End.

You see, I see it like this. Stealing. It would be like someone coming into your home and taking something that belonged to you for 51 years and then try to sell it CLAIMING it as their own product, never giving the appropriate credit to the OWNER. Sort of like re-gifting.

So its not about the location or price or even product. It can be viewed as flattery as one suggested above, however the true definition of imitation is ----simulation, duplication, replication.
It just irriatates me that this new business couldn't market something unique. I believe in choices too, but if you are copying your neighbor, what choice is that to the public?
I am a huge OPRAH fan, and she always says that the more attention you pay to something, the bigger it gets. I wish I could let this go, but I can't. I think it is morally wrong and I guess everyone won't agree, but I would never think to steal the identity of anyone let alone someone who used to patronize my meat products for many years. Especially without asking for permission or even talking to anyone at East End.
Beck

Post by Beck »

My family decided to dine on the "new" hoagies in town. There are some similarities to the East End Hoagie and some differences. Yes they taste pretty much the same, but..... they have a larger roll, more meat and they cost a little less. As for the pizza, its totally different. The place was packed and they were moving a little slow but speed will come with time. People were sitting around talking to one another and the owner was mingling and answering the phone.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I would like to understand how Mac figured out the recipie..... the facts he is trying to sell the identical "secret recipie" does change the landscape.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I am an out of towner, so I would like to know where to try these... is it Mac's Market or just nearby
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

It isn't like Brian hasn't walked down the street and eaten hundreds of East End Hoagies over his lifetime.

Sooner or later if you eat enough of them, you are going to figure it out.