Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Something to say »

My2Cents wrote:
SoccerMom wrote:Speaking of "gargantuan industrial wind turbines", did anyone else see the wind turbine blades being transported along 550 in Warriors Mark yesterday? Wow, "Oversized Load" indeed. You truly cannot fathom their size until you see them in person, and I just saw the blades!
"550 in Warriors Mark :shock: !!??" I wonder where they were going ??
Well one thing we know for certain...they aren't going to Ice Mountain because Josh Framel said in an article published in the Tyrone Herald on May 13th, "If the borough would approve the lease, they wouldn't see a truck the next day. This is an agreement with Gamesa to start the process. We'd have a site plan approval to see where they (windmills) would go, the (borough) engineer would review that, and it's all part of the lease agreement - it's not a green light to do whatever we want."

AND IF HE SAID IT>>>YOU MUST BELIEVE IT. :rofl:
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

I am all for Nuclear, but not these windmills. Maybe if everyone in Tyrone wore wooden clogs an argument could be made, but otherwise Wind Energy in this area is just a farce for the politicians to make it look like they are really trying to be green. Am I the only one who see's it for what it really is? The government really doesn't care about being green, and I'm not so sure they should right now, there are far more pressing issues. Stop this junk, drill in the Gulf and Alaska and the shale fields in Wyoming and get my freakin' fuel costs down.
Something to say
MVP Member

I just called my vendor this morning... 150 gallons of heating fuel....which heats this house one month in the dead of winter...set @ 66 degrees....$629.85.

If Tyrone thinks that this stupid windfarm is going to deter their costs in electric one iota they are fools. If Tyrone believes that they are helping the environment go green by putting up this windfarm they are fools. THIS windfarm is NOT a cure-all...the 100,000 they are going to receive annually is a drop in the bucket to what the industry is making from that land. AND ..... that money will probably be needed in the future to recover the damages and effects that windfarm will have on the watershed and flooding. Not to mention the tax increases that will be dumped on everyone to cover the billions of dollars of funding this state is dishing out for the farm. GOD people... READ THE FACTS...DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Something to say wrote:THIS windfarm is NOT a cure-all...
Cure-all? It's not even a band aid. Remember when we were kids and we piled rock across the Juniata to make a dam? Well, these windfarms and conservation is like us thinking our kid dams were Raystown. [/quote]

Something to say wrote:the 100,000 they are going to receive annually is a drop in the bucket to what the industry is making from that land.
This how much Gamesa must get to put these in. Much, much more than what is returned to the commnity, otherwise they wouldn't be there. They have a better gig than jewelry dealers and their 400% markup.

Essentially Gamesa is preying on the folks who hear "savings" and trying to shove this through. This is similar to predatory lending if you ask me. Why don't they pack up their bags and go back to France. Why any US city/borough/etc would ever do anything with a french company is beyond me. They despise the US and we should tell them to go back to their own country and put 100 windmills around the Eiffel Tower.
Something to say
MVP Member

Here's an interesting fact that I somehow have overlooked... I called the borough to find out EXACTLY were ward 7 was... Surprisingly enough... East Tyrone. Ward 7 encompasses Adams Ave to the Snyder Twnshp line... and guess what...?

On April 22, Tyrone residents voted 601 (55%) to 493 (45%) in favor of Gamesa’s proposed Sandy Ridge wind farm, which includes 10 to 15 turbines on borough-owned watershed property in Snyder Township, Blair County. A proposed lease agreement could bring Tyrone as much as $150,000 a year for 30 years. That equates to 4.6 percent of the borough’s current $3.2 million General Fund budget. To put it another way, council members would have to increase the borough tax rate by 9.4 mills to generate $150,000 in a single year. As part of the decisive win, the proposal won in six of the borough’s seven voting precints. The proposal won in six of Tyrone’s seven wards, with the only loss coming by 10 votes. Here is a breakdown of the votes by ward:

Ward 1 – 106-83 in favor

Ward 2 – 75-53 in favor

Ward 3 – 68-48 in favor

Ward 4 – 48-39 in favor

Ward 5 – 65-61 in favor

Ward 6 – 151-111 in favor

Ward 7 – 88-98 against

For the primary, 2,932 people were eligible to vote. According to unofficial returns, turnout was 43%, with 1,249 ballots cast. Of the voters who turned out, 1,094 people, or 86%, took the survey.

I would imagine East Tyrone would be the part of town most effected by run-off and flooding......
Something to say
MVP Member

banksy wrote:
Something to say wrote:THIS windfarm is NOT a cure-all...
Cure-all? It's not even a band aid. Remember when we were kids and we piled rock across the Juniata to make a dam? Well, these windfarms and conservation is like us thinking our kid dams were Raystown.
Something to say wrote:the 100,000 they are going to receive annually is a drop in the bucket to what the industry is making from that land.
This how much Gamesa must get to put these in. Much, much more than what is returned to the commnity, otherwise they wouldn't be there. They have a better gig than jewelry dealers and their 400% markup.

Essentially Gamesa is preying on the folks who hear "savings" and trying to shove this through. This is similar to predatory lending if you ask me. Why don't they pack up their bags and go back to France. Why any US city/borough/etc would ever do anything with a french company is beyond me. They despise the US and we should tell them to go back to their own country and put 100 windmills around the Eiffel Tower.[/quote]

:thumb:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I forgot, their from Spain not France. Close enough.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

France, Spain, and many other European countries have figured out these windmills are a joke, which is why they are being powered by up to 80 percent nuclear. Now if the US would just get a clue and stop being blinded by the $$$!

I wondered where they were taking those blades too. Maybe the Allegheny wind farm? There were only three, maybe some blades were damaged over the winter and need replaced.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Yes.... but, coming down 550 in Warriors Mark, (towards Tyrone by the way), mighty strange !!! Were they on a scenic tour of the countryside ?? 550 is not all that wide in some spots, there are a lot of curves, above all, there is a definite L curve to negotiate. I bet they don't try that again... and, if they do... there goes that nice newly macadamed back road to State College!!! That L will turn into a C in no time. This whole thing is getting to be ridiculous. These things are being made in Ebensburg... what are they doing way out there ?? Way out there and heading this way..... :shock:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sandstone wrote:From the Bedford Gazette:

To the editor;

A recent Gazette article comparing coalplants and windplants caught my eye. The class described in the article failed to elaborate on how many windplants would be required to replace a given number of coalplants. This probably was intentional, because the answer is mind-bogling.

The Commonwealth has 30+ coalplants, ranging in size from 800 MegaWatts to 2,300 MegaWatts. To produce 6,000 MegaWatts of electrical power would require about 3 large coalplants or 9,000 industrial-scale wind turbines. Each industrial-scale turbine is rated at 2 MegaWatts, but no industrial windplant east of the Mississippi River has exceeded an annualized 30% capacity factor, thus 9,000 industrial turbines x 2 MW/turbine x 30% = 5,400 MW, but let's say 6,000 MW to be generous. Since industrial-scale wind turbines are spaced 6 per mile, the placement of 9,000 industrial turbines would require the sacrifice of 1,500 miles of ridgetop to build the roads, transmission lines, substations, etc. associated with industrial windplants. Even then, the electricity would not supply baseload requirements because the power and presence of wind are unreliable.Scientists estimate that we must reduce our CO2 output by 80% by 2050 to stave off the worst effects of global warming. The only electricity source that we currently have available that can meet baseload demands while not producing CO2 is nuclear. Pennsylvania has five nuclear plants which provide more than 30% of the Keystone State's electricity needs. By expanding the capacity of existing nuclear plants, we can provide the baseload capacity to replace existing coalplants, something that industrial windplants cannot do.

Stan Kotala, M.D.
I still believe, unless these people are stopped, there will be a line of wind turbines, running through the ridge tops of Pennslyvania, from the WVA to NY. While, in the meantime, somebody is sitting back there, raking in the $$$$$$, and laughing at our stupidity !!!
Still, I cannot imagine these things being approved. I cannot imagine a lease being signed by our borough council after all the facts that have been proven over and over again. Facts that have been submitted on this board, and/or elsewhere, throughout the world. There is not one thing good about wind turbines.... nothing !!! They say "clean" energy.... they don't mention the fact that wind turbines don't work on their own. They need the grid, which is powered by the very thing that is contributing to pollution !!!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
Luke wrote:Has anyone thought of organizing informational field trips to the closest site to Tyrone. Or....how about someone posting where the closest one is with directions so we can go out and take a lot ourselves.
Yeah, I've thought about it. Since the spring of 2006 I've spent more than 1,000 hours of my time on this issue, and, frankly, I'm exhausted. I'm not getting paid for my efforts while the Gamesa employees are. Gamesa takes out full-page ads in the Herald. Gamesa's PR guys get Gamesa press releases printed almost verbatim in the Herald.

People see things through different lenses depending on their interests and level of knowledge. I value Blair County's natural heritage. I respect the results of the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory, a scientific document that describes Ice Mountain as being unique and "of exceptional conservation value." I don't need any other information to make up my mind that Ice Mountain is not an appropriate place to consturct a shopping center, a housing development, a ski resort, a cathedral, a university, or an industrial windplant.

In contrast, Tyrone Borough Council Vice President Bill Latchford repeatedly states that he does not value our natural heritage, thus negating the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory with an "I don't care" attitude. Many others share that attitude.
"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." -
Matthew 7:6
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

" Exhausted" is quite understandable sandstone. You, along with Ice Man, Bucktail, and many others, (forgive me, there are too many names to mention and I wouldn't want to leave someone out... we all know who you are) have given more than your share of knowledge, time, and expertise in trying to help our town in understanding why we must save Ice Mountain. Without you, along with the many others, a lease would have been signed a long time ago. That lease would have been signed haphazardly last fall, without any regards concerning the effects these turbines will most likely have on our community for many, many, years to come.
This lease still isn't signed... I do hope the powers to be are taking all things into consideration concerning all the legalities in process with the communities and individuals south of us. Some day, someone is going to stop this wind mill fiasco... it's already becoming known throughout the world that they are not cracked up to be what they say they are. The one and only thing we have going for us right now is the fact that these things are not sitting up on that ridge top right now !!! When these things are stopped.... we, our town, will be stuck with getting rid of the eyesore, along with the substations.
Wind will never, never, make it !!! Sounds good on the surface... but, get real !!!
It's been very quiet on here lately.... maybe that's another one of their tactics... wear 'em down, belittle them, call 'em names.... "the opponents." Take a break, let 'em stew then come back again, and again.... wanting the lease signed so they can continue on.... they are unable to do anything now.... the pressure is on, they want that lease signed now !!! They are probably waiting for outcome of the next Snyder Township meeting... then it will be everything all over again !!
We need to plain and simply tell them NO !!!
I will continue to say... keep the faith....
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

sandstone wrote: In contrast, Tyrone Borough Council Vice President Bill Latchford repeatedly states that he does not value our natural heritage, thus negating the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory with an "I don't care" attitude. Many others share that attitude.
Sometimes you just have to speak up...I never ever said I did not value our natural heritage. I did, however, say that I did not value nature as much as some of you. It is just ridiculous to assume that if someone votes yes to the Wind Plant that they hate nature.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Bill Latchford wrote:
sandstone wrote: In contrast, Tyrone Borough Council Vice President Bill Latchford repeatedly states that he does not value our natural heritage, thus negating the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory with an "I don't care" attitude. Many others share that attitude.
Sometimes you just have to speak up...I never ever said I did not value our natural heritage. I did, however, say that I did not value nature as much as some of you. It is just ridiculous to assume that if someone votes yes to the Wind Plant that they hate nature.
You stated repeatedly that you do not value our natural heritage. You went so far as to state that there is nothing unique or of exceptional conservation value about Ice Mountain. With those words you show your enormous disrespect for the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory. That Inventory was done by professional ecologists working for the Blair County Planning Commission.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

sandstone wrote:You stated repeatedly that you do not value our natural heritage. You went so far as to state that there is nothing unique or of exceptional conservation value about Ice Mountain. With those words you show your enormous disrespect for the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory. That Inventory was done by professional ecologists working for the Blair County Planning Commission.
Dr. Kotala - I have stated repeatedly that I do not share your, or some of the other persons on this threads, passion for nature. I have not once questioned the validity of the Natural Heritage Inventory. How can I? I am not an expert...I can only speak to my views on the topic. If you have that quote somewhere I would certainly love to see it. I in no way shape or form have to share your views, or any one else's for that matter...This is what is called free will, which I am exercising. I most certainly have taken your viewpoint into consideration, but I don't have to make your view my view. Be happy you have had so many jump on your cause. It is something to be proud of.