Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by sandstone »

yertle wrote:
banksy wrote:So, if Ice Mountain were an extrenely high wind area, would it be acceptable or is the wind speed insignificant because of the Golden Eagles?
salaman wrote:I do not think that it is just a coincidence. Somerset High School, on the Allegheny Front to the south of us, also chose the golden eagle as their mascot. What a majestic bird it is!! If you get a chance, look at the Ned Smith painting of one in flight on the wall across from the library in the high school.
zapatista wrote: So, if the golden eagle wasn't majestic or if it was downright repulsive like the turkey buzzard, would it be acceptable to place Windmills on Ice Mountain?
If golden eagles had broad shaped beige and brown bills with identical beak mandibles against black breasted crests and were spokesbirds for Kellog's Fruitloops would Ice Mountain still be an acceptable area for windmill placement?
No. Ice Mt is certified as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area.
DonkeyHoagie

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

sandstone wrote:
yertle wrote:
banksy wrote:So, if Ice Mountain were an extrenely high wind area, would it be acceptable or is the wind speed insignificant because of the Golden Eagles?
salaman wrote:I do not think that it is just a coincidence. Somerset High School, on the Allegheny Front to the south of us, also chose the golden eagle as their mascot. What a majestic bird it is!! If you get a chance, look at the Ned Smith painting of one in flight on the wall across from the library in the high school.
zapatista wrote: So, if the golden eagle wasn't majestic or if it was downright repulsive like the turkey buzzard, would it be acceptable to place Windmills on Ice Mountain?
If golden eagles had broad shaped beige and brown bills with identical beak mandibles against black breasted crests and were spokesbirds for Kellog's Fruitloops would Ice Mountain still be an acceptable area for windmill placement?
Are you suggesting that Fruitloops migrate?
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

DonkeyHoagie wrote:
Are you suggesting that Fruitloops migrate?

The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
yertle wrote:
see http://www.jvas.org/cc_lwfbc.html

That policy was formulated in 2005.
salaman

Post by salaman »

All council members should be required to stand on Clay Ave, in front of the high school, and look toward Ice Mountain. This should be done late in the day when the sun is setting. At this time of day Gamesa's MET tower is back-lit and really visible. They should understand that this tower is less than half the height that the actual turbines will be. Then visualize 25 of them strung across that ridgeline, with flashing red lights at night. What a travesty it would be! Now think of the golden eagles that will die from severed beaks, decapitation, or having their wings hacked off. I have seen photographs of eagles killed at other wind farms.... not a pretty sight.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

High wind or no wind...Golden Eagles or Turkey Buzzards (beauty is in the eye of the beholder)... it does not matter, c'est la vie. For the many documented facts and reasons that has been presented on this board and elsewhere, it is a proven fact that these monstrosities should not be built on Ice Mountain and/or the surrounding area. Once again, Ice Mountain is certified as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area. This, above all, should be respected. Then, there's the fact of our "pristine" watershed.
All we have to do in Tyrone, PA is go to our faucet ,turn on our water and drink it. We do not have to buy bottled water, we do not have to put filters on our faucets, we do not have to get used to some kind of "funny tasting " water. Our water is the best..... we are very, very, lucky compared to many other places.
You know, after all is said and done, if this company is given the go ahead and a lease is signed, it will not be because our council didn't take it's time to consider the facts. We have an outstanding council in place and it is very obvious they are doing all that is possible to obtain the facts. Otherwise, Ice Mountain would be on it's way to destruction right now. My gut tells me, and I hope I'm wrong, if a lease is signed it will only be because of political pressure (if you don't sign this, we'll take you railroad tracks and your railroad station away) type thing. We already know that the money they are flashing around will get us no where. They will tell us where to spend it and see to it that it is done. Tyroners will not benefit in any way. Look how much has been spent already and a lease isn't even signed. Once a lease is signed we will end up spending that money on legalities and fixing up what they ruined. Eventually "the farm" will be sold to someone else and the blame for whatever will be passed back and forth (for a while) to no avail.
Please, we need to save Ice Mountain. We cannot let our guard down and fall for this fiasco knocking at our back door.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I'm sorry...this isn't directly related, but I feel I wanted it clarified. Wasn't it mentioned before that if Snyder Township would limit or vote on these not coming in, the point would be moot for the Tyrone City Council? I thought they did suggest that if it was brought up at a meeting there, this could be settled. Was that ever discussed, or are they not going to get involved? It just seems that that might make the matter simpler...not that it hasn't been a long difficult road up until this point. Thanks! :eek:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

salaman wrote:All council members should be required to stand on Clay Ave, in front of the high school, and look toward Ice Mountain. This should be done late in the day when the sun is setting. At this time of day Gamesa's MET tower is back-lit and really visible. They should understand that this tower is less than half the height that the actual turbines will be. Then visualize 25 of them strung across that ridgeline, with flashing red lights at night. What a travesty it would be! Now think of the golden eagles that will die from severed beaks, decapitation, or having their wings hacked off. I have seen photographs of eagles killed at other wind farms.... not a pretty sight.
Thanks salaman for mentioning the above. This is another thing that is deceiving the public !! If someone does not have a computer and is not able to read your post, most of the general public seeing that out there will automatically assume that the height of that MET tower will be the height of the turbines. Some will even think that is a turbine !!! Most will have no clue that "it" is not "it" and "that" is only half the size of "it" !!
We haven't even signed a lease yet and it had to cost money getting that up there and set up. Howdaydoodat ?? Is this already a done-deal ?? Is there something out there that we are unaware of ??
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

watcher wrote:I'm sorry...this isn't directly related, but I feel I wanted it clarified. Wasn't it mentioned before that if Snyder Township would limit or vote on these not coming in, the point would be moot for the Tyrone City Council? I thought they did suggest that if it was brought up at a meeting there, this could be settled. Was that ever discussed, or are they not going to get involved? It just seems that that might make the matter simpler...not that it hasn't been a long difficult road up until this point. Thanks! :eek:
The current Snyder Twp industrial windplant ordinance prohibits industrial turbines in Important Bird Areas (IBA). Ice Mountain, as part of the Allegheny Front, is cerified as an IBA. Allegheny Front IBA http://pa.audubon.org/iba/facts_info_si ... ation.html
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Watcher... it is my understanding; I hope I get this right....
If Tyrone council says "No" then it wouldn't matter what Snyder Township wants, it would definitely be a "No" all the way around for a wind farm.
With that said;
If Snyder says "No," and Tyrone says "Yes," then it would be a "Yes" all the way around for a wind farm.
If Snyder Township says "Yes" and Tyrone says "No"... it would be a "No" for a wind farm.
With that said;
Ice Mountain belongs to Tyrone Borough which is what all this is about. So, actually, it is all up to Tyrone. It wouldn't be worth this companies while to place one 3 million dollar (plus) turbine here and there. They want it all.... and they will pressure and push to try to get it.
Please streighten me out if I'm wrong... it does get confusing.
IceMan says it all above.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:If Snyder says "No," and Tyrone says "Yes," then it would be a "Yes" all the way around for a wind farm.
Incorrect. Snyder's current ordinance prohibits any industrial turbines on Ice Mt.
:flag:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks for the correction Ice Man... I didn't know that... this is definitely a positive. So, what are we talking about here ?? If Snyder has that ordinance in place, how can they even think of putting a wind farm in ?? Is this going to turn out like it did in Altoona ?? An ordinance is, and has been, in place there. This company was told specifically in the ordinance, in the very beginning, why a certain area was OK and why and certain area was not OK. This was almost 3 years ago !! Just recently, this company came back... not satisfied and wanting more... (+/- 30 more acres for 8 or 9 more turbines) and in the area where they were told NO, in that ordinance, in the very beginning. Then they have the nerve to "promise" they will not ask for more. Ridiculious !! They should have realized way back then (and they probably did ) that more would be needed.
Most likely they will play that very game around here if we give in to their pressures ?? To them, it seems an ordinance means nothing. All they want is a signed lease so they can begin their destruction.
We all know there isn't enough room on Ice Mountain alone for a wind farm... they are going to need more than our Ice Mountain.... they are going to need Snyder Township along with it's ordinance. Actually, they are going to need more than that... they want to ruin Pennsylvania's ridge tops all the way to NY.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote: Is this going to turn out like it did in Altoona ?? An ordinance is, and has been, in place there. This company was told specifically in the ordinance, in the very beginning, why a certain area was OK and why and certain area was not OK. This was almost 3 years ago !! Just recently, this company came back... not satisfied and wanting more... (+/- 30 more acres for 8 or 9 more turbines) and in the area where they were told NO, in that ordinance, in the very beginning.
Gamesa is asking Logan Township to expand its Industrial Windplant Zone by close to 700 acres, not 30 acres.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

banksy wrote:
sandstone wrote:
banksy wrote:I'm just asking because I do not know, but is there anywhere to place a Wind Mill that it would not affect something environmentally?
As with any form of development the goal ought to be to maximize benefit and minimize costs. Because Ice Mountain is certified as a Blair County Natural Heritage Area and because of its extreme importance to golden eagles, development on Ice Mt maximizes ecological costs. The benefits of windplants are maximized in high wind areas, and Ice Mt is mediocre. See pawindmap.org. On Ice Mt, the costs are maximized and benefits are few!
So, if Ice Mountain were an extrenely high wind area, would it be acceptable or is the wind speed insignificant because of the Golden Eagles?
Moot Point. It is NOT an extremely high wind area.
BUT...Taking that into consideration along with the fact that there are Golden Eagles and that the area is certified as a
( here we go again ) Blair County Natural Heritage Area of Exceptional Conservational Value....the placement of turbines on Ice Mountain would be detrimental to the area.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

This thread is so long and worn out, what is the current status of when a decision is going to be made? Is there any info on that from within the Boro?