Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sammie

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by sammie »

Here is the headliner story from today's Altoona Mirror:

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=742

Rendell backs Gamesa
Governor urges Tyrone to approve wind farm

By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com

POSTED: February 15, 2009

TYRONE - A new voice has entered Tyrone Borough's long debate over a proposed wind farm.

Gov. Ed Rendell called Mayor Jim Kilmartin in early February to urge borough officials to approve a lease agreement with Sandy Ridge Wind Farm developer Gamesa.

The wind farm project calls for leasing space in the borough's watershed area of Ice Mountain to build 12 to 15 wind turbines, generating at least $91,000 a year for the borough. The 30-year lease could mean between $3 million and $5 million over the life of the lease.

Kilmartin said Rendell pointed out that it ''is a significant project for Gamesa.'' As the mayor understood it, he said Rendell made it clear that Tyrone's lack of participation would counteract the state's multimillion dollar efforts that brought the Spain-based wind developer to Pennsylvania.

The Department of Community and Economic Development put together a $5.31 million incentive package in 2005 to help Gamesa open its turbine manufacturing facility in Cambria County, and a total of $15 million has been provided to Gamesa by the state for wind energy development.

Kilmartin wouldn't go into detail but said the governor offered his help in bringing the wind farm deal to fruition, indicating there could be special consideration for the borough on a future issue that could use a boost from Harrisburg.

One thing the mayor is interested in is the possibility that Tyrone's soon-to-be decommissioned National Guard Armory becomes a community center.

''The governor has a say in those things,'' Kilmartin said, noting that was just one consideration, and the council would have to discuss other areas where the governor could possibly assist.

A call to Rendell's office to confirm the conversation was not returned.

Meanwhile, those opposed to the deal said they would keep fighting the planned wind farm despite knowing the council will likely approve it in the coming months.

''It's just a temporary reprieve,'' said Tyrone resident Skip Chamberlain, who likened building wind turbines to produce electricity to ''building a bridge out of gold or silver.''

Not only aren't wind turbines good for Ice Mountain, Chamberlain claimed, but they also aren't very good at making electricity once subsidies and other incentives are taken out of the picture.

Jeff Morrissey, a resident of Snyder Township who has actively worked against the wind farm, said Thursday the next step is fighting the development's approval in Snyder Township, where the borough's watershed is situated and much of the project is planned.

''We're going to fight to the end,'' Morrissey said. ''We're not going to give up.''

Because Ice Mountain is recognized as an Important Bird Area by the state and federal government, Gamesa will need a waiver from Snyder Township officials to build the wind farm. Morrissey said he already had reservations about some parts of the township's wind farm ordinance, but the provision excluding building within an IBA was something he wholeheartedly supported.

''I will be extremely upset if Snyder Township gives a waiver or changes the ordinance,'' Morrissey said.

Councilwoman Pat Stoner, who is still recuperating from heart surgery, missed the vote in January. She said this week that although she has personal misgivings about turbines on Ice Mountain at the headwaters of the borough's watershed, she'll vote for the plans when they come before the council again.

''I made a commitment to the voters when we did the survey that I would respect their wishes,'' Stoner said, referring to an informal survey of nearly 1,100 voters during last year's primary election. In that survey, 55 percent said they favored leasing portions of the borough's 3,800-acre watershed to Gamesa.

Councilman Jim Grazier, along with Jen Bryan and Virgie Werner, voted in favor of the proposal. Grazier said although it is a ''tough decision,'' he wants to move forward after two-and-a-half years of debate.

Grazier said the millions in revenue over the 30-year term of the lease will help the borough keep taxes in check.

''It's extra revenue, so you don't have to put it all on the taxpayers' shoulders,'' he said.

Following advice from the borough's forester and results of a watershed study completed last fall, Grazier said the benefits outweigh risks associated with developing the watershed.

He said the additional revenue from the lease should go to decrease the cost of government.

''This new revenue in no way can be used as a rubber stamp for new spending,'' Grazier said.

Bryan said the watershed study confirmed her belief that the development could take place safely on the watershed.

''I know it's not going to resolve all of our energy issues, but it's a start,'' she said of wind power.

Bryan noted every council member has researched the issue diligently. She's hopeful that if Gamesa does build its turbines on the watershed, the money can go toward conservation efforts within the borough, such as the $150,000 Tyrone Borough plans to spend this year on gypsy moth and hemlock woolly adelgid pest control.

Werner said she voted for the project because she sees electric power as important for growth and because she has heard from more people for the wind farm than against it.

''I got angry calls after the meeting from people saying we didn't follow the will of the voters from last year's poll,'' she said.

Werner said she's tried to listen to both sides and pointed out Ice Mountain is far from the pristine wilderness that the project's opponents claim.

Even Kilmartin, who voted against the proposed lease, said he's not opposed to the wind farm. He just thinks if Tyrone's participation is so crucial to Gamesa, then perhaps the borough can get a better deal.

Frank Maisano, a spokesman for a coalition of wind industry companies including Gamesa, said the borough isn't likely to benefit from waiting. Given the time frame for getting a project like the Sandy Ridge Wind Farm up and running, delaying another two years will mean lost revenues and not more companies clamoring to bid, he said.

''They're going to have to start from scratch,'' said Maisano, who noted wind and environmental studies will have to be done. There's also the fact that Tyrone officials have repeatedly promised to make a decision on the issue only to say they need more time.

Josh Framel, Gamesa's project manager for the Sandy Ridge Wind Farm, said that even if a decision were made to go ahead with the project, it would be at least a year before construction and a year-and-a-half until the farm was operational.

Framel didn't close the door to going ahead with the project without the borough's involvement but said ''we want to definitely get a decision out of them before we consider a 12- to 15-wind turbine project.''

While Gamesa met with Tyrone officials this week, the proposed deal hasn't changed, Framel noted, and the borough is still exploring an additional community project the company could undertake with the borough. Kilmartin said a subcommittee was being formed to look at the latest deal sweetener but declined to offer examples of what it might entail.

''We're just looking to get some sort of conclusion to this,'' Framel said.

Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7446.

Fact Box
A closer look

Since selecting Pennsylvania in September 2004 as the site for its U.S. headquarters, East Coast development office and North American manufacturing facilities, Gamesa has invested more than $200 million statewide. The company employs 975 people, including 298 at its blades manufacturing plant in Ebensburg. Gamesa's 2-megawatt turbines each produce enough clean electricity to power between 500 and 600 homes annually.

Gamesa projects in the area include:

n Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm in Portage and Washington townships, Cambria County; and Juniata and Greenfield townships, Blair County

Size: 40 two-megawatt turbines

(Gamesa developed the project but is not the owner/operator)

n North Allegheny Wind Farm, Juniata Township, Blair County; and Cresson, Portage and Washington townships, Cambria County

Size: 35 two-megawatt turbines

Proposed Gamesa projects include:

n Sandy Ridge Wind Farm, Snyder Township, Blair County, and Taylor Township, Centre County

Size: 25 two-megawatt turbines

n Chestnut Flats Wind Farm, Logan Township, Blair County

Size: 25 two-megawatt turbines; 50 megawatts

n Shaffer Mountain Wind Farm, Shade and Ogle townships, Somerset County (a 1,000-foot road section would be built in Napier Township, Bedford County)

Size: 30 two-megawatt turbines

Source: Gamesa
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Ice Man wrote:Read Mayor Kilmartin's statement below, then read the headline article in today's Altoona Mirror. Can anyone find the discrepancy?

I should have stated this at the meeting as I did to the newspaper. 95% of wind farms are west of the Mississippi River. I do believe wind is a good option for our country. I do not believe it is a good option for Ice Mountain. If wind is only 30% efficient at this time in our area, it truly is not a viable business without being subsidized. As a business owner, I would not be in business very long with a 30% efficiency unless the income was tremendous.
I do think about the ecological perspective and do not like the idea of these being on our watershed and I am not pleased with their commanding presence over our community.

The money is an issue but it isn't the biggest issue for me at all. I will restate that I am for wind energy as long as it is efficient and in the right location. Feel free to pass this on to your JVAS group.

Sincerely,

Jim Kilmartin
Mayor of Tyrone
(814)684-1330 - office
http://www.tyroneboropa.com
Tyrone-A Place of Pleasant Living

Yeah, once again it's been written that Kilmartin is for the wind farm....he's just hoping for more money. Greg Bock is either an idiot that can't get his facts straight...or your Mayor speaks out of both sides of his mouth. At any rate....the whole issue is sickening and I truly hope that some of you step up to the plate and get rid of the current council. Wouldn't it be amusing if the wind farm comes in and this council has no say over how the revenue is spent.....hahaha.
Something to say
MVP Member

[quote="sammie"]Here is the headliner story from today's Altoona Mirror:

Rendell backs Gamesa

By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE - A new voice has entered Tyrone Borough's long debate over a proposed wind farm.

Gov. Ed Rendell called Mayor Jim Kilmartin in early February to urge borough officials to approve a lease agreement with Sandy Ridge Wind Farm developer Gamesa.

The wind farm project calls for leasing space in the borough's watershed area of Ice Mountain to build 12 to 15 wind turbines, generating at least $91,000 a year for the borough. The 30-year lease could mean between $3 million and $5 million over the life of the lease.

Kilmartin said Rendell pointed out that it ''is a significant project for Gamesa.'' As the mayor understood it, he said Rendell made it clear that Tyrone's lack of participation would counteract the state's multimillion dollar efforts that brought the Spain-based wind developer to Pennsylvania.

Seems as if this is a done deal and the residents of Tyrone have no say at all. I guess Rendell is just so used to scratching backs it never occured to him some people may not be itchy...but then again...I guess some folks would roll around in poison ivy if the price was right.

The Department of Community and Economic Development put together a $5.31 million incentive package in 2005 to help Gamesa open its turbine manufacturing facility in Cambria County, and a total of $15 million has been provided to Gamesa by the state for wind energy development.

Kilmartin wouldn't go into detail but said the governor offered his help in bringing the wind farm deal to fruition, indicating there could be special consideration for the borough on a future issue that could use a boost from Harrisburg.

One thing the mayor is interested in is the possibility that Tyrone's soon-to-be decommissioned National Guard Armory becomes a community center.

Can ya smell the smoke? The wheels seem to be turning and burning.

''The governor has a say in those things,'' Kilmartin said, noting that was just one consideration, and the council would have to discuss other areas where the governor could possibly assist.

A call to Rendell's office to confirm the conversation was not returned.

Meanwhile, those opposed to the deal said they would keep fighting the planned wind farm despite knowing the council will likely approve it in the coming months.

''It's just a temporary reprieve,'' said Tyrone resident Skip Chamberlain, who likened building wind turbines to produce electricity to ''building a bridge out of gold or silver.''

Not only aren't wind turbines good for Ice Mountain, Chamberlain claimed, but they also aren't very good at making electricity once subsidies and other incentives are taken out of the picture.

Jeff Morrissey, a resident of Snyder Township who has actively worked against the wind farm, said Thursday the next step is fighting the development's approval in Snyder Township, where the borough's watershed is situated and much of the project is planned.

''We're going to fight to the end,'' Morrissey said. ''We're not going to give up.''

Because Ice Mountain is recognized as an Important Bird Area by the state and federal government, Gamesa will need a waiver from Snyder Township officials to build the wind farm. Morrissey said he already had reservations about some parts of the township's wind farm ordinance, but the provision excluding building within an IBA was something he wholeheartedly supported.

''I will be extremely upset if Snyder Township gives a waiver or changes the ordinance,'' Morrissey said.

You and at least 1499 other residents, Jeff.

Councilwoman Pat Stoner, who is still recuperating from heart surgery, missed the vote in January. She said this week that although she has personal misgivings about turbines on Ice Mountain at the headwaters of the borough's watershed, she'll vote for the plans when they come before the council again.

''I made a commitment to the voters when we did the survey that I would respect their wishes,'' Stoner said, referring to an informal survey of nearly 1,100 voters during last year's primary election. In that survey, 55 percent said they favored leasing portions of the borough's 3,800-acre watershed to Gamesa.

Councilwoman Stoner, that's admirable on your part to at least be considering your constituents...but if I may ask....what about the 1500 people that signed a petition against the development?

Councilman Jim Grazier, along with Jen Bryan and Virgie Werner, voted in favor of the proposal. Grazier said although it is a ''tough decision,'' he wants to move forward after two-and-a-half years of debate.

Grazier said the millions in revenue over the 30-year term of the lease will help the borough keep taxes in check.

''It's extra revenue, so you don't have to put it all on the taxpayers' shoulders,'' he said.

Hmmm.... I wonder who Grazier thinks is footing the bill for these windfarms? Taxpayers maybe?

Following advice from the borough's forester and results of a watershed study completed last fall, Grazier said the benefits outweigh risks associated with developing the watershed.

He said the additional revenue from the lease should go to decrease the cost of government.

''This new revenue in no way can be used as a rubber stamp for new spending,'' Grazier said.

Bryan said the watershed study confirmed her belief that the development could take place safely on the watershed.

''I know it's not going to resolve all of our energy issues, but it's a start,'' she said of wind power.

:roll:

Bryan noted every council member has researched the issue diligently. She's hopeful that if Gamesa does build its turbines on the watershed, the money can go toward conservation efforts within the borough, such as the $150,000 Tyrone Borough plans to spend this year on gypsy moth and hemlock woolly adelgid pest control.

Werner said she voted for the project because she sees electric power as important for growth and because she has heard from more people for the wind farm than against it.

''I got angry calls after the meeting from people saying we didn't follow the will of the voters from last year's poll,'' she said.

Werner said she's tried to listen to both sides and pointed out Ice Mountain is far from the pristine wilderness that the project's opponents claim.

Far from the pristine wilderness that the project's opponents claim? So in other words, the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory is a crock and the people that devoted their time and energy to the findings are morons?

PRISTINE: having its original purity; uncorrupted or unsullied.
WILDERNESS: a wild and uncultivated region, as of forest or desert, uninhabited or inhabited only by wild animals.

Yeah Virgie...all those homes up there...all those mountain children running amok....all those businesses...all those roads...I can see how you reached THAT conclusion. I always run on up there for all my shopping needs...we have relatives up there too....just last week we saw Walmart coming in.... putting all those mom and pop shops in jeopardy.

I seem to recall the inventory stating that Ice Mountain is an Unique Area of Exceptional Conservation Value.

Unique: unusually excellent; superior:

Conservational:
the act of conserving; prevention of injury, decay, waste, or loss; preservation: conservation of wildlife

Value: relative worth, merit, or importance; to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area.

How in God's name did they come to that conclusion???

Even Kilmartin, who voted against the proposed lease, said he's not opposed to the wind farm. He just thinks if Tyrone's participation is so crucial to Gamesa, then perhaps the borough can get a better deal.

I don't even know what to say to that comment. I'm baffled.

Frank Maisano, a spokesman for a coalition of wind industry companies including Gamesa, said the borough isn't likely to benefit from waiting. Given the time frame for getting a project like the Sandy Ridge Wind Farm up and running, delaying another two years will mean lost revenues and not more companies clamoring to bid, he said.

''They're going to have to start from scratch,'' said Maisano, who noted wind and environmental studies will have to be done. There's also the fact that Tyrone officials have repeatedly promised to make a decision on the issue only to say they need more time.

:roll:

Josh Framel, Gamesa's project manager for the Sandy Ridge Wind Farm, said that even if a decision were made to go ahead with the project, it would be at least a year before construction and a year-and-a-half until the farm was operational.

Framel didn't close the door to going ahead with the project without the borough's involvement but said ''we want to definitely get a decision out of them before we consider a 12- to 15-wind turbine project.''

While Gamesa met with Tyrone officials this week, the proposed deal hasn't changed, Framel noted, and the borough is still exploring an additional community project the company could undertake with the borough. Kilmartin said a subcommittee was being formed to look at the latest deal sweetener but declined to offer examples of what it might entail.

''We're just looking to get some sort of conclusion to this,'' Framel said.

I'm thinking its pretty safe to assume Framel, that you will get the conclusion your're after.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

"Erosion Control," " run off," " ponding of water" in the heat of summer....... is that what it's all about around the Logan Town Center ?? Is that what we want spread all over Ice Mountain ?? A concrete jungle, a man-made try in the re-direction of water and run off....
I just know there is a female Anopheles mosquito out there just waiting to move in and set up home around here. It's only a matter of time. It can happen... just ask the other little mosquitos carrying the West Nile Virus. Who wouldaeverthunk those tropical diseases have would ever made their way to PA ?? They don't need old rubber tires.... we are inviting them..... we are taking away their bats and building them condo's with stagnet pools to breed and raise their youngins'.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say wrote:
Wouldn't it be amusing if the wind farm comes in and this council has no say over how the revenue is spent.....hahaha.
This is exactly what is going to eventually happen anyway !! Oh, they will make a big showing in the beginning but that will soon change... they don't care about our town.... they are on a mission to tear up our ridge tops... and place these things, that they have already spent a fortune on, throughout PA... period. They can't let all that go to waste now... goodness. With 30 years of this stuff (which I doubt if it last that long) who knows how many times this farm will be sold... right now we know for sure once this is built, this company will sell it and be out of here. The read between the lines leases and contracts will be re-done and re-worded. New councils will be coming and going and this community will never be the same. There will be unrest and a state of constant upheavel, because of these things and the power they will have over us. Ice Mountain will no longer be ours, it will belong to the turbines and they will be telling us what to do with their money. They already have !!! Money, the root of all evil !!!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sammie wrote:Here is the headliner story from today's Altoona Mirror:

Rendell backs Gamesa

By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE -

For Councilwoman Virgie Werner:

To the editor;

An unbiased assessment of the conservation value of Ice Mountain near Tyrone was done by the Blair County Planning Commission through the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory about 5 years ago. As its name implies, the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory is a catalog of our county's natural habitats, focusing on only the best natural areas remaining in the county. These areas are designated as Blair County Natural Heritage Areas and they comprise about 15% of the county. Almost all of the Blair County Natural Heritage Areas are on mountains, because the valleys have almost no remaining natural habitats left (they've been almost 100% converted to agricultural and urban uses). Most of the Allegheny Front, of which Ice Mountain is a part, does NOT have Blair County Natural Heritage Area Status, because of fragmentation by residential areas and strip mines. Ice Mountain is one of the few areas of the Allegheny Front that has earned County Natural Heritage Area status, and the only one that is described as being EXCEPTIONAL.

County Natural Heritage Areas are divided into those of exceptional, notable, and high value. Only the best of the best earn the EXCEPTIONAL title. In the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory, Ice Mountain (Allegheny Front LCA # 1) is designated as EXCEPTIONAL.

The Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory makes recommendations regarding the management of Blair County Natural Heritage Areas. Regarding Ice Mountain (Allegheny Front LCA #1), it recommends that the area not be fragmented with additional roads.

Tyrone Borough Council has a responsibility as stewards of Ice Mountain to heed the recommendations of the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory and the Blair County Comprehensive Plan. Juniata Valley Audubon asks that Tyrone Borough Council members vote NO to any proposal to convert Ice Mountain into an industrial windplant.

Sincerely,
Terry Wentz
President, Juniata Valley Audubon
P.O. Box 148
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

"With 30 years of this stuff (which I doubt if it last that long) who knows how many times this farm will be sold... right now we know for sure once this is built, this company will sell it and be out of here."

According to researchers in the ARL lab at Penn State, turbines only last on average about eight years before breaking, not the 20-30 years they advertise. So, not only are they expensive and not very efficient (at least not here), they have a short life-span. Not a very good return on our tax money, and that's not even getting into all the environmental repercussions.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Read this!! No different than Fast Eddie Rendell in Tyrone!!

http://www.windaction.org/news/20050

http://www.fox40.com/pages/landing_worl ... &feedID=24

Italy police arrest 8 in Mafia wind farms plot

By ARIEL DAVID

ROME (AP) — Italian police on Tuesday arrested mobsters, businessmen and local politicians who allegedly used corrupt practices and bribes to gain control of a project to build wind farms in Sicily.

Operation "Aeolus," named after the ancient Greek god of winds, netted eight suspects, arrested in the Trapani area of western Sicily, as well as in Salerno on the Italian mainland and in the northern city of Trento.

Police in Trapani said the local Mafia bribed city officials in nearby Mazara del Vallo so the town would invest in wind farms to produce energy.

The project, worth hundreds of millions of euros (dollars), was first devised in 2003 and later uncovered by an investigation that included wiretaps, police said in a statement.

Investigators discovered that luxury cars and thousands of euros in bribes were given to politicians to ensure that a Mafia-backed company won the lucrative public contract.

The suspects also illegally accessed the municipality's safe to copy the proposal of a rival company, which was later excluded from the bidding.

"All activities were controlled by these businessmen tied to Cosa Nostra," police official Giuseppe Linares told Italy's Sky TV. "Not only the construction of the plant, but also all the subcontracts for building materials: concrete, carpentry, electric systems and metal."

The police statement said the businessman allegedly heading the project on behalf of the Mazara crime clan had links to Matteo Messina Denaro, a fugitive who investigators say is one of Cosa Nostra's top bosses.

The infiltration of construction and other public works contracts in Sicily has long been a source of income for Cosa Nostra.

But lately the Sicilian Mafia has been hurt by top arrests and a growing rebellion by the island's businessmen against systematic extortion. It has also lost ground in the drug trade to other Italian organized crime groups, mainly the Calabria-based 'ndrangheta.
Fightin' Irish

Post by Fightin' Irish »

Ice Man wrote:
sammie wrote:Here is the headliner story from today's Altoona Mirror:

Rendell backs Gamesa

By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE -

For Councilwoman Virgie Werner:

To the editor;

An unbiased assessment of the conservation value of Ice Mountain near Tyrone was done by the Blair County Planning Commission through the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory about 5 years ago. As its name implies, the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory is a catalog of our county's natural habitats, focusing on only the best natural areas remaining in the county. These areas are designated as Blair County Natural Heritage Areas and they comprise about 15% of the county. Almost all of the Blair County Natural Heritage Areas are on mountains, because the valleys have almost no remaining natural habitats left (they've been almost 100% converted to agricultural and urban uses). Most of the Allegheny Front, of which Ice Mountain is a part, does NOT have Blair County Natural Heritage Area Status, because of fragmentation by residential areas and strip mines. Ice Mountain is one of the few areas of the Allegheny Front that has earned County Natural Heritage Area status, and the only one that is described as being EXCEPTIONAL.

County Natural Heritage Areas are divided into those of exceptional, notable, and high value. Only the best of the best earn the EXCEPTIONAL title. In the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory, Ice Mountain (Allegheny Front LCA # 1) is designated as EXCEPTIONAL.

The Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory makes recommendations regarding the management of Blair County Natural Heritage Areas. Regarding Ice Mountain (Allegheny Front LCA #1), it recommends that the area not be fragmented with additional roads.

Tyrone Borough Council has a responsibility as stewards of Ice Mountain to heed the recommendations of the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory and the Blair County Comprehensive Plan. Juniata Valley Audubon asks that Tyrone Borough Council members vote NO to any proposal to convert Ice Mountain into an industrial windplant.

Sincerely,
Terry Wentz
President, Juniata Valley Audubon
P.O. Box 148
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
Very succinct. Mr. Wentz says it all! Thank you Mr. Wentz and thank you, Ice Man!

Fightin' Irish
Last edited by Fightin' Irish on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightin' Irish

Post by Fightin' Irish »

Something to say wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Read Mayor Kilmartin's statement below, then read the headline article in today's Altoona Mirror. Can anyone find the discrepancy?

I should have stated this at the meeting as I did to the newspaper. 95% of wind farms are west of the Mississippi River. I do believe wind is a good option for our country. I do not believe it is a good option for Ice Mountain. If wind is only 30% efficient at this time in our area, it truly is not a viable business without being subsidized. As a business owner, I would not be in business very long with a 30% efficiency unless the income was tremendous.
I do think about the ecological perspective and do not like the idea of these being on our watershed and I am not pleased with their commanding presence over our community.

The money is an issue but it isn't the biggest issue for me at all. I will restate that I am for wind energy as long as it is efficient and in the right location. Feel free to pass this on to your JVAS group.

Sincerely,

Jim Kilmartin
Mayor of Tyrone
(814)684-1330 - office
http://www.tyroneboropa.com
Tyrone-A Place of Pleasant Living

Yeah, once again it's been written that Kilmartin is for the wind farm....he's just hoping for more money. Greg Bock is either an idiot that can't get his facts straight...or your Mayor speaks out of both sides of his mouth. At any rate....the whole issue is sickening and I truly hope that some of you step up to the plate and get rid of the current council. Wouldn't it be amusing if the wind farm comes in and this council has no say over how the revenue is spent.....hahaha.
Mayor Kilmartin, with admirable economy of language, has clearly and succinctly expressed his views regarding the windplant proposal. He has my respect and admiration.

Mayor Jim Kilmartin;

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Fightin' Irish
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sammie wrote:from today's Altoona Mirror:
By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com
I do not think Pat Stoner's, "yes" for turbines should be etched in stone just yet, as some are trying to make it seem. She was asked that question immediately after the votes were counted that evening. Probably, excitement prevaled, the pressure was off.... in with the turbines, off with Ice Mountain !!! The news even made it in time for the 11PM TV evening news cast... that had to take some quick running.
Since then, all we hear is 55% !!! That 55% has been etched in stone by those wanting these turbines in here. They took that 55% and ran with it and are still running. The general public is not hearing the other side of this story. They are not hearing about the questioning as to how that poll was taken, the thousands of names on petitions, in emails, postcards, letters to the editor, phone calls, professionals in the know, etc., who are against this. All the public is hearing is 55%.
I can understand the reasoning for past Mayor Stoner's immediate answer to that immediate question back then.
I do believe, had all the facts and the questionings been known back then, if she were asked that same question, I think we would have heard a different answer.
I do respect the decisions of both Mayor Kilmartin and past Mayor Stoner. They have proven over and over again that they care deeply for our town and it's people. They are both, truly dedicated individuals and we should be very proud of them. If they say "yes" to turbines, most likely, they had no other choice.
Turbines are fine, but please, not in this area.. . I'll still maintain and keep the faith.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Apparently, Warner is not getting this or she would not be making the statements she has made, ie "trying to see both sides." Also, if there is trash up there, it should have been known all along, and taken care of all along. If she wants to see nicer things growing up there, that would not be difficult to take care of. That whole area could be made into a beautiful, scenic, mountain. A place of solitude, with hiking trails, a complete Nature Observatory. Think people think. The life expectancy of one turbine is approx 8 years and they are telling us 30 years of this stuff... sometingwong :rolleyes:
Ice Mountain is ours it has always been ours . If a lease is signed, it will never be ours again. An outside force will come into this area and have complete control. They will run this town with their money offerings and we will no longer have any say-so.
Bock

Post by Bock »

My2Cents wrote:
By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com
I do not think Pat Stoner's, "yes" for turbines should be etched in stone just yet, as some are trying to make it seem. She was asked that question immediately after the votes were counted that evening. Probably, excitement prevaled, the pressure was off.... in with the turbines, off with Ice Mountain !!! The news even made it in time for the 11PM TV evening news cast... that had to take some quick running.
Since then, all we hear is 55% !!! That 55% has been etched in stone by those wanting these turbines in here. They took that 55% and ran with it and are still running. The general public is not hearing the other side of this story. They are not hearing about the questioning as to how that poll was taken, the thousands of names on petitions, in emails, postcards, letters to the editor, phone calls, professionals in the know, etc., who are against this. All the public is hearing is 55%.
I can understand the reasoning for past Mayor Stoner's immediate answer to that immediate question back then.
I do believe, had all the facts and the questionings been known back then, if she were asked that same question, I think we would have heard a different answer.
I do respect the decisions of both Mayor Kilmartin and past Mayor Stoner. They have proven over and over again that they care deeply for our town and it's people. They are both, truly dedicated individuals and we should be very proud of them. If they say "yes" to turbines, most likely, they had no other choice.
Turbines are fine, but please, not in this area.. . I'll still maintain and keep the faith.
For the record, I did ask Pat Stoner the same question for the Altoona Mirror article two days before it ran on Sunday, Feb. 15. It's in the article - "she said this week" - and she gave the answer. She said she would vote for it. Why? Because of the poll at the polls.

And if they say yes to turbines it doesn't mean they had no other choice. That's ridiculous. That's the core of this debate - what will they choose?

Since my experience tells me you never know how a vote will go until it happens, the bottom line is we really won't be 100 percent certain until it comes up again.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

You are so right Gregg... I agree. :thumb:
Something to say
MVP Member

Bock wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
By Greg Bock
gbock@altoonamirror.com
For the record, I did ask Pat Stoner the same question for the Altoona Mirror article two days before it ran on Sunday, Feb. 15. It's in the article - "she said this week" - and she gave the answer. She said she would vote for it. Why? Because of the poll at the polls.

And if they say yes to turbines it doesn't mean they had no other choice. That's ridiculous. That's the core of this debate - what will they choose?

Since my experience tells me you never know how a vote will go until it happens, the bottom line is we really won't be 100 percent certain until it comes up again.

Bock...question for you. Why didn't you report anywhere in your article on Sunday, Feb. 15 that Save Ice Mountain garnered 1500 signatures via a petition, opposing a "wind farm" on Ice Mountain, in addition to the 45% of people at the polls who are against it? It seems to me that little detail might have been mentioned...maybe after Councilwoman Pat Stoner's comment.