Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Something to say
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Something to say »

Yanno... I think at least 5 of the council members are life-long residents of Tyrone....Kilmartin, Stoner, Werner, Latchford, and Grazier. But in a nutshell.....there were articles in the newspaper...there were open forums...there was stuff posted on this website almost to the point of redundancy...all to no avail. Sandstone, Ice Man, Salaman, Sammie, George M, My2Cents, and a few others posted on here repeatedly. Sandstone went above and beyond the call of duty to bring this to people's attention. Bill Fink wrote letters to the editor. Ice Man has posted on the subject almost daily. Many different organizations, gave their input. Families that are suffering due to ill-placed turbines spoke out to the people of Tyrone........a few TYRONE RESIDENTS put SIGNS in their YARDS.....AND STILL.........THE MAJORITY OF TYRONE FOLKS JUST DIDN'T CARE ENOUGH or DIDN'T BOTHER TO ACT UPON IT.

There have been MANY, MANY, MANY opportunities for TYRONE to come out and support ICE MOUNTAIN.....THEY JUST DIDN'T. And you're right.......its all about the money with this council. They believe that mountain was worth sacrificing for what they must think is an astronomical amount of revenue.

ICE MOUNTAIN IS A MIGRATORY ROUTE FOR THE GOLDEN EAGLE........TYRONE'S MASCOT. These turbines will have an effect on that. As well as possibly allowing run-off to the watershed........and countless other things.......all contained within this thread. The forrester was a mouth-piece for Gamesa and the water analysis was paid for by Gamesa.....go figure. Who would expect different results?

As far as it being a done-deal...... I believe so.....but others can answer that...that question is way over my head.
sammie

Post by sammie »

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=742

Tyrone approves Ice Mountain wind project
By Greg Bock, gbock@altoonamirror.com
March 10, 2009

TYRONE - Windmills are one step closer to a reality for Ice Mountain as Gamesa USA ponies up an extra quarter of a million dollars for Tyrone Borough.

Borough Council voted 5 to 2 to sign on with wind developer Gamesa USA for what will be a 30-year lease of parts of its 3,800-acre watershed in Snyder Township. Only Mayor Jim Kilmartin and Councilman Steve Hanzir voted against the deal that will bring $3 million to $5 million in new revenue for the borough.

In addition, Gamesa is giving the borough $250,000 for a yet-to-be-determined community wide project - $125,000 upon signing and another $125,000 when wind farm operations start - as part of a "community improvement agreement."

The council will decide on the project.

In January, a vote ended in a tie. Councilman Bill Latchford won't vote on the issue because of workplace ties to Gamesa. Councilman Mark Kosoglow switched his vote Monday to support the project, and Councilwoman Pat Stoner, who missed the previous vote because of health issues, followed through on her promise to support it.

"I don't think there are any other viable options out there, and I'm not going to let the borough waste the opportunity to get $5 million," Kosoglow said, adding that he was convinced by the extensive watershed report last fall that developing a wind farm there carried scant risk to the water system.

Kosoglow said he wanted to get the best deal from Gamesa and voted for the project because he believes the borough wouldn't receive any more than what is now on the table.

Solicitor Larry Clapper said the agreement is conditional on some wording issues that will be ironed out in the coming days. He said the borough's water authority, which technically leases the watershed from the borough, will also need to give its blessing.

Josh Framel, project manager for Gamesa's Sandy Ridge Wind Farm, said he was pleased with the vote and said the next step would be completion of local, state and federal development permits, including a waiver from Snyder Township for parts of its wind farm ordinance.

Because the proposed windmill sites, which include 10 to 15 on borough property, are part of a designated important bird area, township supervisors must grant the wind farm a waiver from the provisions in its 2008 ordinance.

Opponents of the wind farm, who gathered about 1,400 signatures against the project, said they weren't surprised.

"I'm disappointed more than anything," wind farm opponent Bob Roseberry said.

Councilman Steve Hanzir disagreed, pointing out the report, undertaken by State College-based Casselberry Associates and paid for by Gamesa, noted questions remained about the depth of bedrock on the mountain and its impact on aquifers.

Stoner, who is recuperating from heart surgery, voted at Monday's meeting by conference call. She delivered on her promise to support the project after a majority of Tyrone voters approved of it during an informal poll in the spring 2008 primary election.

Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7446.

I wonder how much money Gamesa is going to throw Snyder Twp's way to try to get them to waive the IBA setback in their ordinance.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

I don't know how much...but rumor has it that there has already been an offer and I have spoke to a few people "in the know" that have told me the ordinance WILL allow the project to go through.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

salaman wrote:"They that sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind." Hosea 8:1-14
"The die has been cast."
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

jumper56 wrote: Is it too late to have Legislature pass something to stop the destruction of the ridges? .
No. Please contact Senator John Eichelberger http://senatoreichelberger.com/ and ask him to support legislation that would prohibit industrial windplant construction in Important Bird Areas, on State Game Lands, and on State Forests. Legislation to that effect is being proposed.

Senator John Eichelberger
309 Allegheny Street
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
866-509-EICH(3424)
Fax: 814-695-8398

Also contact your state representative.
jumper56 wrote: Short of sabotage, and chaining ourselves to trees, we are 'boned'? It can't be too late, we must do something!!.
Don't despair.

Go to the next Snyder Township Board of Supervisors meeting. The Snyder Township windplant ordinance prohibits industrial windplants in Important Bird Areas, as do the windplant ordinances of Antis, Tyrone, and Allegheny Townships. Ice Mt is an Important Bird Area designated by the Pennsylvania Biological Survey. Gamesa needs to have the Snyder Township windplant ordinance changed to permit the windplant. Tell the supervisors to keep the ordinance as it stands. That will prohibit Gamesa from building the windplant.

The Snyder Township supervisors are Charles Diehl, James Burket, and Robert Nelson. Nelson actually ran on a platform of OPPOSING the windplant! For more information contact:

Name: Ann Dillon
Title: Secretary/Treasurer
Email: snydrtwp@nb.net
Voice: 814-684-1048
Fax: 814-684-2913

http://blair.pacounties.org/snyder/cwp/ ... Nav=|34579|

Snyder Township supervisors meetings occur on the 1st Monday of each month in the Snyder Twp municipal building on Old Rt 220 north of Tyrone just past the Vail bridge.

http://blair.pacounties.org/snyder/site/default.asp

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP TO MAKE COMMENTS AT THE SNYDER TWP BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETINGS.

IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP AND YOU ARE OPPOSED TO THE WINDPLANT, YOU HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO MAKE YOUR OPPOSITION KNOWN TO THE SNYDER TOWNSHIP SUPERVISORS. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO AND GAMESA BUILDS ITS WINDPLANT, THEN YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF!
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Thank you, thank you 'iceman' for the great info. From what I have read of Greg Bocks' article of March 10th, I see at least seven 'opportunities' for this to get sh@*ca@%*d!! I am actually going to price a plane ticket to and try to make the Snyder Township meeting on April 6th. (wow, please 'holla' if you hear the meeting will be a different day) Figures, I took the next week for vacation. I will also write, call and email the people you given me. I so wish I would have known more about this, like from this started two years ago but, living so far away, just didn't catch wind, ha wind, get it, of the whole situation. It seems the 'vendor' still has a lot of hurdles to jump, a lot of permits from different agencies, this is also a plus for us, the people of Tyrone I mean. Thanks again, let me see if I can get some letters rolling, I have lots of friends here and they all have 'two cents' also. thanx again ;)
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

jumper56 wrote:Thank you, thank you 'iceman' for the great info. From what I have read of Greg Bocks' article of March 10th, I see at least seven 'opportunities' for this to get sh@*ca@%*d!! I am actually going to price a plane ticket to and try to make the Snyder Township meeting on April 6th. (wow, please 'holla' if you hear the meeting will be a different day) Figures, I took the next week for vacation. I will also write, call and email the people you given me. I so wish I would have known more about this, like from this started two years ago but, living so far away, just didn't catch wind, ha wind, get it, of the whole situation. It seems the 'vendor' still has a lot of hurdles to jump, a lot of permits from different agencies, this is also a plus for us, the people of Tyrone I mean. Thanks again, let me see if I can get some letters rolling, I have lots of friends here and they all have 'two cents' also. thanx again ;)
Thanks for your interest and commitment, jumper56. 1,500 people signed the petition opposing the Ice Mt windplant. Do you think that if just 10% of those people show up and voice opposition to the windplant at the next township meeting, the township will grant Gamesa the waiver that Gamesa wants? I've yet to see that happen in any township. 150 people at a township meeting can't be ignored.
no-it-all

Post by no-it-all »

It may not be done in Tyrone yet. I believe I heard them say at a previous meeting, that the lease agreed on by the boro, needs to be approved by the Water authority, since they lease the watershed.Find out who's on the water authority and start putting bugs in their ears.
sammie

Post by sammie »

Ice Man wrote:
jumper56 wrote:Thank you, thank you 'iceman' for the great info. From what I have read of Greg Bocks' article of March 10th, I see at least seven 'opportunities' for this to get sh@*ca@%*d!! I am actually going to price a plane ticket to and try to make the Snyder Township meeting on April 6th. (wow, please 'holla' if you hear the meeting will be a different day) Figures, I took the next week for vacation. I will also write, call and email the people you given me. I so wish I would have known more about this, like from this started two years ago but, living so far away, just didn't catch wind, ha wind, get it, of the whole situation. It seems the 'vendor' still has a lot of hurdles to jump, a lot of permits from different agencies, this is also a plus for us, the people of Tyrone I mean. Thanks again, let me see if I can get some letters rolling, I have lots of friends here and they all have 'two cents' also. thanx again ;)
Thanks for your interest and commitment, jumper56. 1,500 people signed the petition opposing the Ice Mt windplant. Do you think that if just 10% of those people show up and voice opposition to the windplant at the next township meeting, the township will grant Gamesa the waiver that Gamesa wants? I've yet to see that happen in any township. 150 people at a township meeting can't be ignored.
That's Monday, April 6th at 7 PM at the Snyder Township Municipal building!
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sammie wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
That's Monday, April 6th at 7 PM at the Snyder Township Municipal building!
If you are opposed to the Ice Mt windplant, then you are obliged to go to this meeting and make a PUBLIC comment. b*tch about it among yourselves is pointless. There are at least 1,500 people in the Tyrone area who are opposed to the windplant. You signed the petition, so you should go to this meeting and make your opposition known.

Gamesa cannot build the windplant because Snyder Township's windplant ordinance prohibits industrial windplant in Important Bird Areas (IBA). Ice Mt is part of the Allegheny Front IBA designated by the Pennsylvania Biological Survey.

During the public comment period, all you have to do is stand up, say that you're opposed to Snyder Township changing it's ordinance, say that you oppose windplants in IBAs, and then sit down. You will have done your duty and you will feel good about yourself. If the windplant gets built anyway, you will at least have a clean conscience. If the windplant is blocked, you will feel powerful! You have nothing to lose by testifying!
:D
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Jumper56, we are still hoping it's not too late... come on home, we need ya !!! However, the "yes" vote we have been trying to avoid these past few years.. suddenly happened. Taking such an important vote as this, during a council meeting that was geared mainly towards another very important subject, amazes me. "Yes" is all these turbine people wanted to hear... they are not wasting any time in sealing the deal. I'm sure a read between the lines lease is being addressed and "once the lease is signed they will THEN complete their construction plans and present them to council for approval." By then, the lease will have already been signed, they will be in control and do whatever they want to. Ice Mountain will no longer belong to us and we will no longer have any say-so in it's demise.
Hope I'm wrong, rumor has it the township is going to cave in and give them the go ahead. We managed to keep them at bay for quite a long time, but, when big brother came knocking at the door after they were turned down the last time (Jan'09) you could almost feel the earth quake and the tide change. A very sad situation !!!
The only piece of thread we have left is perhaps Senator Eichelberger. See Ice Man's post above with the Senators email and address. Take a moment and address your concerns to him... it certainly wouldn't hurt. Also, as Ice Man mentioned... being there to voice your opinion at their meeting. Miracles have been known to happen. :rolleyes:
Our pristine watershed is a stake. All we have to do now is turn on our faucet and immediately we have cool, clear, delicious tasteing water without any chemical taste in it at all.
We are taking a huge risk in placeing these things on Ice Mountain.
Fightin' Irish

Post by Fightin' Irish »

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men." :flag:

-Ella Wheeler Wilcox
One lone voice
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by One lone voice »

I'm confused on the protocol about when we have to change the name of the football team from Tyrone Golden Eagles to the Tyrone Golden Windmills...is it before or after they start tearing the mountain apart?
bossman
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by bossman »

what about the BROWN BATS back in the 80's started to come back up on the mountain. did they check on that???? I bet not
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:Our pristine watershed is a stake. All we have to do now is turn on our faucet and immediately we have cool, clear, delicious tasteing water without any chemical taste in it at all.
We are taking a huge risk in placeing these things on Ice Mountain.
- I am not saying this to be a smart butt, while you are right that our water is great here in Tyrone and it does start off pretty good, It also does go through a $5 million water treatment plant. Although there was a time when the water just flowed through a chlorine treatment shed. I just wanted to make sure all knew that. I will always be hoping that nothing happens to our great water supply.