Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Ice Man »

bossman wrote:what about the BROWN BATS back in the 80's started to come back up on the mountain. did they check on that???? I bet not
The presence of most bat species will not stop the windplant. Only if the area is used by the federally endangered Indiana bat will a windplant's location be contested by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS).

For example, the USFWS objects to any industrial-scale wind turbines within 5 miles of the colony of 600 federally endangered Indiana bats at Canoe Creek State Park.

Independent research found that the Ice Mt windplant would harm golden eagles, though:

Golden Eagles and Wind Power Facilities: What Decision Makers of the Proposed Ice Mountain Wind Facility Should Know

Tricia Miller, The Pennsylvania State University and Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Todd Katzner, National Aviary
David Brandes, Lafayette College
Michael Lanzone, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Dan Ombalski, State College Bird Club

The size of the eastern North American population of golden eagles is small and therefore highly vulnerable to demographic perturbations. Even low levels of turbine-associated or other mortality may be significant for long-lived species with low reproductive rates and slow maturation rates (Drewitt and Langston, 2006; Katzner et al. 2006). Golden eagles tend to migrate and winter within areas of the central Appalachians that are currently under development or targeted for future development by wind energy companies. This species commonly uses slope soaring and ridge updrafts during migration and foraging, flight patterns which are known to increase collision risk (Barrios & Rodriguez, 2004; Hoover & Morrison, 2005). Additionally, a pilot study conducted by Farmer (2007) found that 88% of migrating bald and golden eagles flew at an altitude within the rotor swept area of modern turbines. It is for these reasons and others that golden eagles therefore may be highly susceptible to collision with some wind turbines (Hunt, 2002; Smallwood & Thelander, 2004). Because of their demography, migration and winter flight behavior, and vulnerability to wind turbines, we consider eastern golden eagles to be the raptor species at greatest risk of population-wide impacts from wind energy development in the Appalachians.

Available monitoring data and modeling strongly suggest that eastern golden eagles migrate through a narrow corridor in south-central Pennsylvania (particularly during spring; Brandes & Ombalski, 2004). This corridor includes portions of Bedford, Blair, Centre, Fulton, Huntingdon, Mifflin, and Somerset Counties and likely extends southward through Maryland into West Virginia. Thus, we consider the Allegheny Front and the five adjacent ridges to the east to be a zone of high risk for potential impacts to golden eagles.

Our tracking data show that three of five golden eagles that migrated through Pennsylvania used the area in and around Ice Mountain. Data points were collected at one-hour intervals. One bird roosted within the proposed facility and the data suggest that this bird foraged in the same area. There were a total of 19 hourly locations within 3000 m of the facility, with eight points falling within 300 m of a turbine. The closest location to a proposed turbine location was 65 m. Of the 19 points, 17 locations were stationary, while two locations were from two different birds in active flight. The altitudes of these two points were 1086 m and 849 m above sea level. The mean total height (elevation plus turbine height) of the turbines at Ice Mountain is 855 m ± 35 m. Thus, one of the flight locations was within the rotor swept area of the turbines at Ice Mountain. Based on these preliminary data, Ice Mountain appears to provide important migratory habitat for golden eagles.

In addition to the high use wintering areas on West Virginia and parts of Virginia, our preliminary telemetry data and remote camera surveys suggest that many more golden eagles winter in Pennsylvania than was previously known. Importantly, for the two telemetered birds that wintered in Pennsylvania, greater than 95% of their telemetry points were located in high elevation, remote wooded areas. This suggests that, in addition to providing important migration habitat, Ice Mountain may provide prime golden eagle wintering habitat. Furthermore, studies suggest that raptors are at highest collision risk when foraging (Hunt, 2002; Hoover & Morrison, 2005), thus land managers should consider the potential conflicts that wind energy facilities may pose, not only in critical migratory habitat, but in important wintering areas as well.

To summarize, our data tell us that golden eagles will be impacted by wind power development on Ice Mountain. Nevertheless, they do not tell us the scale of that impact - how many golden eagles may be at risk from wind power development at Ice Mountain, nor do they tell us exactly what will happen to eagles, should turbines be built there. The decision to put turbines at this site will have consequences for these Pennsylvania ridge tops and there will be impacts on golden eagles and other species. We hope that our limited preliminary data are useful to those of you who will make the decision whether or not to develop this site.
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

Bill Latchford wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Our pristine watershed is a stake. All we have to do now is turn on our faucet and immediately we have cool, clear, delicious tasteing water without any chemical taste in it at all.
We are taking a huge risk in placeing these things on Ice Mountain.
- I am not saying this to be a smart butt, while you are right that our water is great here in Tyrone and it does start off pretty good, It also does go through a $5 million water treatment plant. Although there was a time when the water just flowed through a chlorine treatment shed. I just wanted to make sure all knew that. I will always be hoping that nothing happens to our great water supply.
Bill, don't even go there !! All water consumed by the public in a city or town has to go thru a water treatment plant !! I know, I can get my spelling wrong, but, I do have an education in Medical Technology... I don't know everything, however, I do know a little bit about the lil critters that can be found in water alone. Don't go there about our watershed.... I know the risk we are taking up there, and what could possibly happen !!! Personally, I do not trust any results of any tests that were taken anywhere for anything (not just water)if this company paid for the testing.
It's funny you're not quite privy to all the other things presently going on around town which you as a council member SHOULD be quite privy to !! Right off hand you immediately know all about our water treatment plant costing $5 million !!! You know where those dollars are, and where the future ones are, or should be, headed for, if you get to have any say-so, don't you??!! You already mentioned, way back, what you would want to do with the money if turbines go in. What you were saying, and when you were saying it, was during the same time this company was saying it. I kinda' figured you were either discussing it,or reading it somewhere along the way..... since you, a boro councilman, had some kinda' ties with them all along !!! They have already told us way back that we could use this money for a water treatment plant upgrade. Somehow or other it would have been done anyway, and it would not have come from turbine money. All we are going to hear is money, money, money and all these things that are needed and now that we have this money we can spend it on things they want us to spend it on because this has to be done. Whoever does the most kissin' will get what they want... all they have to do is ask. At least for a while anyway !!! At least in the very beginning. This money will never belong to the people of this town.... this money will be controlled and spent where ever big brother wants it spent !! In the meantime, "a river will run thru it" every so often, and probably with more gusto as the years go by. It's a d*mn shame that it has come to this !!!
The people of this town will see very little of this money... and that will only be initally, enough for this company to show off. People don't understand "subsidies" and that their very tax dollars will go into these subsidies in order for these things to operate !!! Tax dollars and high utility bills is going to be the one of the outcomes of all this. This company will sell the farm upon completion, new owners will have their own agendas, our council will change overtime and do you know who's gonna' pay for all this ?? Aside from Mother Nature, figure it out.... common sense will tell you.
" Mountains tower over her, solemn and grand.Long may they reign above, those Alleghenys fair... may they ever shelter thee... " Does all that sound familiar ?? The past generations composed that and put it into our Alma Mater, many, many years ago. These mountains meant something very special to them. They cared for them, they handed down the key from generation to generation.... and look what we are doing with it. "Long May They Reign Above." "May They Ever Shelter Thee." What a dirty rotten shame !!!! I'm sure they could never ever imagined that we, the keepers of the key, would allow, "Those Alleganey's Fair," to become a concrete jungle.
Welcome to Tyrone, SPAINsylvania.... a once beautiful little town, now turned into El Toro Poo-Poo !!
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

WOOHOO........My2Cents!!!!! I'll bet you feel good getting that off your shoulders! Tyrone has sat back and allowed this council to have their way long enough.......it's time Tyrone gets good and angry and lets council know they do not want this windplant.......never wanted this windplant.....and that they aren't happy that Council went full steam ahead regardless of the opposition.

A few pages back it was stated that Councilwoman Virgie Werner was getting angry phone calls from people in favor of the windplant.......tell me something......how many angry proponents have you seen at the meetings? Has their been a group calling themselves......"Destroy Ice Mountain with a Windplant" that I haven't heard of?

Ice Man said it all in his previous posts... Demand that the ordinance stay intact....( clearly state your case and sit down )....and SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN.

NOTE: In IceMan's post he ....once again....gave you all the findings of an Independent Research showing what effects a windplant on Ice Mountain would have on the Golden Eagle....

Please take a moment to reflect on who conducted this study.....

Tricia Miller, The Pennsylvania State University and Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Todd Katzner, National Aviary
David Brandes, Lafayette College
Michael Lanzone, Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Dan Ombalski, State College Bird Club

THAT STUDY WAS DONE BY A GROUP OF EXPERTS which ARE NOT ON GAMESA'S PAYROLL or by anyone that would stand to benefit from the windplant. Every report that council took into consideration in deciding if this windplant was a good idea for Ice Mountain was paid for or conducted by......... GAMESA.
salaman

Post by salaman »

Ice Man wrote:
salaman wrote: Around lunch time yesterday, on Park Ave, a friend of mine saw a Tyrone council member walking by. She asked their stance on the watershed lease. They said that they were leaning toward a yes vote. She then asked, what about the people of Snyder Township that will have to deal with this travesty. They went on to say that "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP." Bill, if you are interested in who this council member is, and do not believe me, PM me and I will give you a name........ You can ask for yourself.
Salaman;

The borough concil person who said "I don't care" should be made public. I see no reason to withhold his or her name. People need to know!
The Council member that shouted "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP" was Jim Grazier! I believe that he is running for Mayor of Tyrone in the primary this spring.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

salaman wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
salaman wrote: Around lunch time yesterday, on Park Ave, a friend of mine saw a Tyrone council member walking by. She asked their stance on the watershed lease. They said that they were leaning toward a yes vote. She then asked, what about the people of Snyder Township that will have to deal with this travesty. They went on to say that "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP." Bill, if you are interested in who this council member is, and do not believe me, PM me and I will give you a name........ You can ask for yourself.
Salaman;

The borough concil person who said "I don't care" should be made public. I see no reason to withhold his or her name. People need to know!
The Council member that shouted "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP" was Jim Grazier! I believe that he is running for Mayor of Tyrone in the primary this spring.
THANK YOU !!! Almost forgot about this incident !!! And to you, "something to say," thank you.... Thank you for all the GREAT posts.... for ALL the informative information and for being a part of this and never giving up on something that is so, very, very important. Ice Man, Salaman, Sandstone, Laura, Dave, Bob.. I can't start singling out here, there are too many of you... you know who you are, I know who you are, THANK YOU !! Somehow, that "word" is just not enough. Thank You ALL so very, very much for trying so hard to help in saving Ice Mountain.
I am only a puny little concerned citizen in this town who would have been watching this unfold all along, knowing that it was wrong, thinking that there were very few others around here who would think that way, knowing that few were paying attention, and hoping those in charge would know this was wrong and take care of it. How wrong I was... what a rude awakening. This is still the case, in many respects, with most people in this community right now. Most people still do not have a computer, they RELY SOLELY ON THE TYRONE DAILY HERALD for their news. It's terrible how some of this has been portrayed to the average citizen in the "hometown" paper.
If I didn't have a computer I would have NEVER known that I was not alone in my thinking. I would be just going by what I read in the paper. ALL that I know now, I can thank each and everyone of you. From day one... the very first post on here about the windmills... I started paying attention.... I was so very elated to find that there were dedicated folks, such as every one of you, out there, sincerely caring.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

My2Cents wrote:
Your Words: Personally, I do not trust any results of any tests that were taken anywhere for anything (not just water)if this company paid for the testing.

My Response - Gamesa did not pay for the study Hydrology study that was done on our water shed...

Your Words: Right off hand you immediately know all about our water treatment plant costing $5 million !!! You know where those dollars are, and where the future ones are, or should be, headed for, if you get to have any say-so, don't you??

My Response - Not exactly sure where you are going with this...The Water Treatment plant is like 15 or 20 years old and it cost the Borough $5 million to build.

Your Words: They have already told us way back that we could use this money for a water treatment plant upgrade. Somehow or other it would have been done anyway, and it would not have come from turbine money. All we are going to hear is money, money, money and all these things that are needed and now that we have this money we can spend it on things they want us to spend it on because this has to be done.

My Response - For one thing I had mentioned the money could possibly be used to offset the rates to customers of our Waste water treatment plant not Water treatment plant. No one but the Borough will decide what to do with the proceeds from the income from the Wind Turbine lease. Gamesa has no say in that. About the only thing I can see that might possibly have Gamesa's name attached to it in any way would be the initial $250K that we get for singing. That money is intended for the community in the way of projects. So about the only thing Gamesa would have to do with even that money is maybe something that says, who knows maybe "This Project Funded with a grant from Gamesa” That is a hypothetical application.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Please contact Senator John Eichelberger http://senatoreichelberger.com/ and ask him to support legislation that would prohibit industrial windplant construction in Important Bird Areas, on State Game Lands, and on State Forests. Legislation to that effect is being proposed.

Senator John Eichelberger
309 Allegheny Street
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
866-509-EICH(3424)
Fax: 814-695-8398

Also contact your state representative.

Go to the next Snyder Township Board of Supervisors meeting, Monday, April 6, at 7pm. The Snyder Township windplant ordinance prohibits industrial windplants in Important Bird Areas, as do the windplant ordinances of Antis, Tyrone, and Allegheny Townships. Ice Mt is an Important Bird Area designated by the Pennsylvania Biological Survey. Gamesa needs to have the Snyder Township windplant ordinance changed to permit the windplant. Tell the supervisors to keep the ordinance as it stands. That will prohibit Gamesa from building the windplant.

The Snyder Township supervisors are Charles Diehl, James Burket, and Robert Nelson. Nelson actually ran on a platform of OPPOSING the windplant! For more information contact:

Name: Ann Dillon***
Title: Secretary/Treasurer
Email: snydrtwp@nb.net
Voice: 814-684-1048
Fax: 814-684-2913

***EDITED BY RICK ON 2009/04/29 to reflect that this post is referencing Ann Dilion's contact information, and the user does not represent Ann Dillon.

http://blair.pacounties.org/snyder/cwp/ ... av=|34579|

Snyder Township supervisors meetings occur on the 1st Monday of each month in the Snyder Twp municipal building on Old Rt 220 north of Tyrone just past the Vail bridge.

http://blair.pacounties.org/snyder/site/default.asp

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP TO MAKE COMMENTS AT THE SNYDER TWP BOARD OF SUPERVISORS MEETINGS.

IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF SNYDER TOWNSHIP AND YOU ARE OPPOSED TO THE WINDPLANT, YOU HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO MAKE YOUR OPPOSITION KNOWN TO THE SNYDER TOWNSHIP SUPERVISORS. IF YOU FAIL TO DO SO AND GAMESA BUILDS ITS WINDPLANT, THEN YOU HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Enough, I'm done... I'm not going there anymore Bill. Explain away, twist it around all you want... I hope that it all works out as it should. I had high hopes this would all turn out well. I can't believe the fact that all the things presented and proven by educated people overtime were totally ignored and these things voted in. It's unbelieveable. I am terribly disappointed with the whole system !!! BTW, I did mean the waste water treatment plant.... shoulda' been more precise when I typed that out.
Something to say
MVP Member

Bill Latchford wrote:
My2Cents wrote:
My Response - For one thing I had mentioned the money could possibly be used to offset the rates to customers of our Waste water treatment plant not Water treatment plant. No one but the Borough will decide what to do with the proceeds from the income from the Wind Turbine lease. Gamesa has no say in that. About the only thing I can see that might possibly have Gamesa's name attached to it in any way would be the initial $250K that we get for SINGING. That money is intended for the community in the way of projects. So about the only thing Gamesa would have to do with even that money is maybe something that says, who knows maybe "This Project Funded with a grant from Gamesa” That is a hypothetical application.

WTH??? So are we all supposed to :hail: Gamesa and honor them by plastering their name on a community project??? Have you lost your mind? GAMESA isn't giving you anything. IF anything..... THEY will reap benefits FROM Tyrone. TAX DOLLARS, BILL, TAX DOLLARS. Where do you think GAMESA and the other industrial wind orgs have gotten the funding for these projects in the first place? WHY in heavens name ( hypothetically ) would you honor them......if you want to attach names to community projects......<IF THIS ALL COMES TO PASS>........give credit where credit's due....FUNDED BY TAX PAYERS.

not only did you all sing......you danced to their tune as well.
sammie

Post by sammie »

Ice Man wrote:Please contact Senator John Eichelberger http://senatoreichelberger.com/ and ask him to support legislation that would prohibit industrial windplant construction in Important Bird Areas, on State Game Lands, and on State Forests. Legislation to that effect is being proposed.

309 Allegheny Street
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
866-509-EICH(3424)
Done
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

sammie wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Please contact Senator John Eichelberger http://senatoreichelberger.com/ and ask him to support legislation that would prohibit industrial windplant construction in Important Bird Areas, on State Game Lands, and on State Forests. Legislation to that effect is being proposed.

309 Allegheny Street
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
866-509-EICH(3424)
Done
Me too !! :thumb:
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Bill Latchford wrote: About the only thing I can see that might possibly have Gamesa's name attached to it in any way would be the initial $250K that we get for singing.
Looks like Councilwomen Stoner, Werner, Bryan and Councilmen Grazier and Kosoglow love to sing for Gamesa. :lol:
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?page= ... _ctrl=1021

The Green Energy Fantasy

By Keith Lockitch

Will a green energy industry be an engine of economic growth? Many want us to think so, including our new President. Apparently a booming green economy with millions of new jobs is just around the corner. All we need is the right mix of government “incentives.”

These include a huge (de facto) tax on carbon emissions imposed through a cap-and-trade regulatory scheme, as well as huge government subsidies for “renewable,” carbon-free sources. The hope is that these government sticks and carrots will turn today’s pitiful “green energy” industry, which produces an insignificant fraction of American energy, into a source of abundant, affordable energy that can replace today’s fossil-fuel-dominated industry.

This view is a fantasy--one that could devastate America’s economy. The reality is that “green energy” is at best a sophisticated make-work program.

There is a reason why less than 2 percent of the world’s energy currently comes from “renewable” sources such as wind and solar--the very sources that are supposedly going to power the new green economy: despite billions of dollars in government subsidies, funding decades of research, they have not proven themselves to be practical sources of energy. Indeed, without government mandates forcing their adoption in most Western countries, their high cost would make them even less prevalent.

Consider that it takes about 1,000 wind turbines, occupying tens of thousands of acres, to produce as much electricity as just one medium-sized, coal-fired power plant. And that’s if the wind is blowing: the intermittency of wind wreaks havoc on electricity grids, which need a stable flow of power, thus requiring expensive, redundant backup capacity or an unbuilt, unproven “smart grid.”

Or consider the “promise” of solar. Two projects in development will cover 12.5 square miles of central California with solar cells in the hope of generating about 800 megawatts of power (as much as one large coal-fired plant). But that power output will only be achieved when the sun is shining brightly--around noon on sunny days; the actual output will be less than a third that amount. And the electricity will cost more than market price, even with the life-support of federal subsidies that keeps the solar industry going. The major factor driving the project is not the promise of abundant power but California’s state quota requiring 20 percent “renewable” electricity by 2010.

More than 81 percent of world energy comes from fossil fuels, and half of America’s electricity is generated by burning coal. Carbon sources are literally keeping us alive. There is no evidence that they have--or will soon have--a viable replacement in transportation fuel, and there is only one in electricity generation, nuclear, which “green energy” advocates also oppose.

We all saw the ripple effects last summer when gas prices shot above $4 per gallon, and higher transportation costs drove up prices of everything from plane fares to vegetables. If green policies cause a permanent, and likely far greater, hike in the cost of all forms of energy, what shockwaves would that send through our already badly damaged economy?

We don’t want to find out.

Regardless of one’s views on global warming--and there is ample scientific evidence to reject the claim that manmade carbon emissions are causing catastrophe--the fact is that kneecapping the fossil fuel industry while diverting tax dollars into expensive, impractical forms of energy will not be an economic boon, but an economic disaster.

We in developed countries take industrial-scale energy for granted and often fail to appreciate its crucial value to our lives--including its indispensable role in enabling us to deal with drought, storms, temperature extremes, and other climate challenges we are told to fear by global-warming alarmists.

If we want to restore economic growth and reduce our vulnerability to the elements, what we need is not “green energy” forced upon us by government coercion but real energy delivered on a free market.

Keith Lockitch, PhD in physics, is a fellow at the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, focusing on science and environmentalism. The Ayn Rand Center is a division of the Ayn Rand Institute and promotes the philosophy of Ayn Rand, author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

salaman wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Salaman;

Councilman James Grazier's conduct is disgusting. Hopefully Tyrone Daily Herald reporter Kris Yaniello will report this. People need to know about James Grazier's disgusting conduct.
Something to say
MVP Member

Ice Man wrote:
salaman wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Salaman;

Councilman James Grazier's conduct is disgusting. Hopefully Tyrone Daily Herald reporter Kris Yaniello will report this. People need to know about James Grazier's disgusting conduct.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know if I'm more disgusted, at this point, with the idea of turbines on Ice Mountain, or the fact that council BLANTANTLY IGNORED the will of the people. I am still livid that they turned 55% of the people that came out to the democratic primary into 55% of the people of Tyrone... Talk about a bunch of snakes.

IF THERE ARE 2,381 households in Tyrone.......and let's say just for chits and giggles that half of those are democrats..
( the fact is only 33% of the people in Tyrone are registered democrats ) ..that's 1190.....divide that into 50%.....that becomes 595, add 29.... that's 624 possible people that came out to vote in the democrat primary that voted yes to the Ice Mountain Windplant......and THAT IS BASED ON HALF OF TYRONE BEING DEMOCRATS ( which is CLEARLY NOT THE CASE )....AND ALL OF THEM COMING OUT TOTHE PRIMARY AND PARTICIPATING IN THE WINDPLANT VOTE. HOW IN GOD'S NAME DOES THAT NUMBER REPRESENT 55% OF THE TOWN??? THERE WERE 1500 NAMES AGAINST THE WINDPLANT ON A PETITION. DO THE MATH.

I think TYRONE needs to get a council in there that at least has basic math skills. I failed math all the way through school and didn't do much better in college......but DUH!!!!!