Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
kayaker-one

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain

Post by kayaker-one »

inmybackyard wrote:I have the destinction of having 6 wind turbines sourrounding my farm in blue knob.
Every resource tells me that this is equivelent to a refridgerator running. All I can say is that at times, I can hear this inside my home, doors and windows closed, OVER my refridgerator. Our township has agreed to "look into this further" and Babcock and Brown (bought Phase 1 from Gamesa) think they "may need to research this" as well. Our summer and fall events outside were ruined, we need to have fans running at night to drown out the noise in our bedroom, as well as the stress caused by the vibrations and loud sounds is effecting our lives dramatically. Careful placement of the turbines -far away from anyone- can avoid all the noise issues. The information available on this topic is everywhere-be educated- before drastically changing your community, especially when there is so much $$$ clouding the issue.
I really am so grateful that you have joined our forum. How close do you live to the turbines? Do your neighbors have any problems?

I hope the Tyrone council understands what you are saying and won't let more lives be ruined by putting turbines where they don't belong. And it isn't just a concern for people that makes me fearful - if the Tyrone Council agrees to let Gamesa put in those wind turbines, then the Council is directly responsible for damaging one of the most important habitats in our area. I hope they look past the dollar signs and see how turbines on Ice Mountain are a no-win situation for communities of people and the wildlife. Let's face it, this isn't about energy independence, or stopping global warming, or reducing air pollution, it is all about making a profit!
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by sandstone »

inmybackyard wrote:I have the destinction of having 6 wind turbines sourrounding my farm in blue knob.
There won't be any maps for the community to see/approve for Gamesa doesn't allow this info to get out. Don't be surprised that what ever is told to the community is only 1/2 true. My neighbors did not know any details until construction was begun-thereby making any revisions impossible. Sine most were defective, the operational phase was delayed until this early summer. The noise, on a rather frequent occuance, is unbelievable. Imagine a low flying large jet airplane circling your home every 3-4 seconds, oh and it never lands. This goes on for hours-days at a time. Now you may say, isn't there a noise ordinance for machines/industry in your township?
why yes there is, in fact the ordinance for these turbines is specific to a decibel level
of 45. Every resource tells me that this is equivelent to a refridgerator running. All I can say is that at times, I can hear this inside my home, doors and windows closed, OVER my refridgerator. Our township has agreed to "look into this further" and Babcock and Brown (bought Phase 1 from Gamesa) think they "may need to research this" as well. Our summer and fall events outside were ruined, we need to have fans running at night to drown out the noise in our bedroom, as well as the stress caused by the vibrations and loud sounds is effecting our lives dramatically. Careful placement of the turbines -far away from anyone- can avoid all the noise issues. The information available on this topic is everywhere-be educated- before drastically changing your community, especially when there is so much $$$ clouding the issue.
Hey, inmybackyard, any chance you'd be able to testify at the November 5 or 13 Tyrone Borough Council meetings?
inmybackyard

Post by inmybackyard »

We live within 2600 ft from the closest one. The allowable distance is set, at present by the individual townships. Ours in Juniata township is 2000ft. The way the sounds from the turbines travel can be predicted by the lay of the land. During initial site surveys, these areas could/should be omitted from potential sites. However, as many effected will tell you, this information is disregarded, with the hopes of placing as many as possible within an area....for what? Oh, thats right....$$$$.
Yes there are neighbors effected, and those who are not able to hear, or do not want to hear the noise. Some are investors and some are related to those. So in my community it isn't the majority.
All we ask from the company and the township: is to slow them down to meet the noise ordinance....But NOW, not next year or after they "look into it". Let me resume my life.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

George M. wrote:Bill,

I realize that "sorting out the facts" is important, but I wonder how you will have time to personally investigate and validate information and/or contact independent experts for their corroboration or disagreement. Best of luck! Please let me know if you find information that you believe contradicts the positions and evidence I have provided.

I also wonder if we should conclude - based on your last posting - that you are likely to vote for wind energy development since it is likely to be supported by constituents who feel lining our ridges with huge wind turbines is at least "trying to the do right thing". I hope not. The road to h*ll is paved with good intentions. The majority of the US felt that President Bush's push to invade Iraq was "the right thing to do" - until they found out they were misled about its costs. Too bad the public wasn't better informed about the opinion of the 1st President Bush's Secretary of Defense - d*ck Cheney - who explained at the time that it would be folly for the US to take over Baghdad after kicking Saddam's troops out of Kuwait.

Would it be possible for you to make a motion to table a vote on Gamesa's request for permission to develop Ice Mountain, and try to convince your colleagues to sponsor a moderated informational meeting (aka, a debate) involving a proponent for the project (e.g., Gamesa) and an opponent (e.g., someone selected by Dr. Kotala)?
In as much as a debate would be interesting...Don't you think it would just be like this forum. I mean no disrespect but I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out. Both sides apperently have the money to make the stats say what they want. You all talk about independent analysis, but where in the world would you find someone who would not be partial to one side or the other. I claim to be on the fence, and both sides have said things to make me faulter each way. It is such a heated exchange. I have talked to many people about this now....not just here on the board but co-workers who I believe are very educated individuals...and have had some good advice about a few questions to ask Gamesa. For now I will continue reading.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

windman wrote:Beware Gamesa. This Spanish Company was brought here by Rendell and DEP secy Kate McGinty and promised free reign over our mountain ridges for their wind plants. Rendell and McGinty are actively promoting Gamesa to build wind plants anywhere they want. Since there are no statewide regs, DEP need only issue their erosion and sedimentation permit, which is a mere rubberstamp formality since their biggest promoter is the head of DEP, in order for construction to begin. That is, unless there is zoning in place to restrict such development. Zoning can stop them.

Gamesa, Rendell and DEP want Gamesa to built them anywhere the wind blows, regardless of the quality of the area they will destroy by the miles of heavy duty roads they need to build to get the turbines into the sites. And they DO destroy forested areas. Just go down to Myersdale and up to Blue Knob and see for yourself. Each site takes a 3 acre clearcut if they are the big 400' tall turbines. There are noise and shadow flicker issues for locals to deal with as well.

Local people get absolutely NOTHING from wind turbines. But locals will pay more for their electricity (because of artificial preferred pricing for wind power), will seetheir property values plummet and will have their local landscapes irreveribly scarred. And all the while the little power these things generate will be sent to the PJM grid and sucked to NY, NJ, Maryland and DC. Your bills will actually go up.

Those who benefit are the land owners who sign leases with Gamesa--they get as much as 7,000 a year for each wind turbine on their property. Gamesa and their mostly foreign investors also benefit as they take full advantage of the accellerated depreciation, production tax credits and subsidies that, taken together, pay for 70% of the cost of building the turbines. Not a bad deal, huh? Since the wind turbines are exempt from all PA, school, county and local taxes, they receive a huge windfall at the state level as well. Each turbine costs 2.5-3 million to build--yet they pay ZERO tax. What wind developers do, however, is offer money to township supervisors and other local officials to try to "buy" their loyalty. Gamesa has offered as much as $3,000 per turbine to other township supervisors in townships where they have faced opposition. Ask the Shade and Ogle twp supervisors in Somerset county what Gamesa offered them. This is how they operate.

Maybe Ice Mountain is an OK place to build these things. I don't know anything about ice mountain. But I do know how Gamesa operates and you people should carefully evaluate this and know who and what you are dealing with before you even begin to entertain any notions of letting them in. If you do, you must understand that this Spanish company will build its industrial plant, extract the governmant subsidies and handouts (paid for by your tax dollars) and will be GONE, leaving you all to deal with the aftermath. Think about this long and hard. good luck with your decision.
WoW those are some serious and damning accusations...Are you saying that Gamesa is bribing Local Municipal Officials to get support for their WindPlant constructions?....Those are some scary words that should probably be re-evaluated unless you have proof.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

sandstone wrote:
windman wrote:Beware Gamesa. This Spanish Company was brought here by Rendell and DEP secy Kate McGinty and promised free reign over our mountain ridges for their wind plants. Rendell and McGinty are actively promoting Gamesa to build wind plants anywhere they want. Since there are no statewide regs, DEP need only issue their erosion and sedimentation permit, which is a mere rubberstamp formality since their biggest promoter is the head of DEP, in order for construction to begin. That is, unless there is zoning in place to restrict such development. Zoning can stop them.
The proposed Ice Mountain Wind Farm (aka Sandy Ridge Wind Farm)'s location is in Snyder Township, Blair County and Taylor Township, Centre County. Neither township has zoning. Most of Blair County's townships where windplants have been proposed have enacted very good ordinances that protect both the township's natural heritage and its residents. Snyder Township (where the Tyrone Borough portion of the windplant will be located) is still working on their industrial windplant ordinance. Keys to a good ordinance in municipalities without zoning include setbacks of at least 2,500' from a turbine to a house (or hunting camp), 1,000' to an adjacent nonparticipating landowner's property line, 500' to wetlands and streams (probably should be 1,000 in a municipal water supply), and a noise limit of 45dB(C) as measured at an adjacent nonparticipating landowner's property line. Antis, Tyrone, Frankstown, and Logan Townships have elected to protect County Natural Heritage Areas, Important Bird Areas, and Important Mammal Areas in their ordinances. Antis Township's ordinance is the only one on the web and is available at http://antistownship.org/antis/cwp/view ... &antisNav=|
Do you know if you have a limit on SPL of 45db your neighbors could not mow their lawns...Traffic would certainly have to stop in every town. Heck what do I do about all the birds in my neighbors tree that set their and chirp all together...that is surely above 45db. I have been up to the wind farm in Portage. I was 1700 feet away from these one of these things and it was not intrusive. But, the person giving the tour said that the WinMills make more noise to the back and then took us to one that was spinning at full capacity approx. 18 rpms and I will not say I could not hear it but I was talking over it. Heck the wind itself was louder than the windmills.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

Something to say wrote:
Bill Latchford

As I have said I have heard what has been relayed by Juniata Valley Audubon Society. They have said nothing new since then. I believe we have the latest and greatest information right here in this forum, which is in abondance and so useful. And I say this with the utmost respect, it is invaluable information. There isn't a soul who will deny that. The thing is what I beleieve and what someone else believes dosn't have to be the same. One person may love dogs and One may love cats....Is one right over the other? I know that was really belittleing the subject at hand, but I do not have to have the same ideals as the other guy. We are individuals and this is the United States of America where you can hate my guts for not believing in what you believe in, but guess what I can still do it just the same. Heck I have even had threats here saying that a person would make a politicians life miserable if they could if they had anything to do with a windmill going up by their property. That type of thinking is so detrimental to society at large. We work for the gretter good. If the majority of Council feels that WindMills would be a great thing for our community then they feel they are helping the greater good. No matter which way the votes swing in this matter someone will be unhappy. You can't please everyone.
Nobody said you have to believe what others believe. And comparing this subject to people's preferences for dogs and cats is ridiculous. But as a councilman, you certainly should be taking all this very seriously. People trust you to be their voice or to at least hear their voice. I have not read one post from this community that is in favor of the turbines other than yours. And yet you keep singing the praises of the wind turbines on Ice Mountain. It seems to me that this is a done deal and you are ignoring these posts altogether. You also mentioned in a more recent post that we are not selling the land but leasing it. Let me ask you something Bill..... years from now...when the lease is over, and we've learned first hand that the turbines were mostly ineffective, how many years do you think it will take for Ice Mountain to recover from the development? And... does Tyrone NEED the money so badly that we're willing to take that beautiful mountain...for nothing in the end?
I do listen to the people of our community. I have listened to them and have been their voice for over 14 years now. I would say if people were so unhappy in Tyrone with the performance of one of their Councilmembers that member would not be re-elected. That has been proven in the past without a doubt. I might add that I believe that a lot of the people talking to us hear about this paticular topic are not from the Borough of Tyrone itself. That is not a problem to me, but they are not the people that put me in office. Their opinion is important and valuable, but I take it under consideration.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Bill Latchford wrote:
sandstone wrote:
The proposed Ice Mountain Wind Farm (aka Sandy Ridge Wind Farm)'s location is in Snyder Township, Blair County and Taylor Township, Centre County. Neither township has zoning. Most of Blair County's townships where windplants have been proposed have enacted very good ordinances that protect both the township's natural heritage and its residents. Snyder Township (where the Tyrone Borough portion of the windplant will be located) is still working on their industrial windplant ordinance. Keys to a good ordinance in municipalities without zoning include setbacks of at least 2,500' from a turbine to a house (or hunting camp), 1,000' to an adjacent nonparticipating landowner's property line, 500' to wetlands and streams (probably should be 1,000 in a municipal water supply), and a noise limit of 45dB(C) as measured at an adjacent nonparticipating landowner's property line. Antis, Tyrone, Frankstown, and Logan Townships have elected to protect County Natural Heritage Areas, Important Bird Areas, and Important Mammal Areas in their ordinances. Antis Township's ordinance is the only one on the web and is available at http://antistownship.org/antis/cwp/view ... &antisNav=|
Do you know if you have a limit on SPL of 45db your neighbors could not mow their lawns...Traffic would certainly have to stop in every town. Heck what do I do about all the birds in my neighbors tree that set their and chirp all together...that is surely above 45db. I have been up to the wind farm in Portage. I was 1700 feet away from these one of these things and it was not intrusive. But, the person giving the tour said that the WinMills make more noise to the back and then took us to one that was spinning at full capacity approx. 18 rpms and I will not say I could not hear it but I was talking over it. Heck the wind itself was louder than the windmills.
Read "inmybackyard"s post. No one mows their lawn 24/7. No one mows their lawn at night.
George M.

Post by George M. »

Kayaker-one,

I'm glad for your interest and impressed that you located and have questions about the 3rd QTR report in the FERC EQR database for Gamesa's Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm.

The 2 spreadsheets you found were for Transactions and Contracts. The Transactions file contains the 14,064 MWh figure ("transaction quantity") which I used to calculate this wind energy project's 3-month Capacity Factor; it represents the actual number of MWh that were produced by this facility. The Contracts file shows 430,000 MWh for "quantity", and it represents the maximum number of MWh's which First Energy Solutions has contractually agreed to annually purchase from the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm's 40 2-MW wind turbines (i.e., 80 MW total generating capacity.

Following shows how I determined that Gamesa's Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm operated at under 8% Capacity Factor during the 3rd quarter of 2007:

Capacity Factor = the actual production for period (in MWh's) divided by the product of the # MW of generating capacity times the # of operating hours possible

so Capacity Factor = 14,064 MWh / (80 MW * 24 hrs/day * 92 days/3rd Qtr) = 7.96%

You may have to wait until next week (November) to find on the FERC EQR website all the reports covering the 3rd QTR because FERC allows Respondent Companies to file their 3rd QTR reports up until the last day of October. I just checked and EQR reports have not been filed yet for many "wind farms" in PA covering the 3rd QTR, but all of the following except Allegheny Ridge have filed quarterly reports with FERC in the 2nd QTR of 2007 and previous quarters (if in operation). Here's a list of the "Respondent Company" names which represent the wind energy projects in PA:

Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm, LLC (40 2-MW Gamesa turbines in Cambria and Blair Co's)
Locust Ridge Wind Farm, LLC (13 2-MW Gamesa turbines in Schuylkill Co)
Meyersdale Windpower, LLC (20 1.5-MW NEG Micon - now Vestas - turbines east of Meyersale, Somerset Co.)
Mill Run Windpower, LLC (10 1.5-MW ENRON turbines in Fayette County)
Pennsylvania Windfarms, INC (8 1.3-MW Nordic turbines next to Garrett in Somerset Co.)
Somerset Windpower, LLC (6 1.5-MW ENRON turbines next to Turnpike in Somerset Co.)
Waymart Wind Farm, LP (43 1.5-MW GE turbines in Wayne Co.)

The only other PA windplant which is "in operation" at this time is the 24 MW Bear Creek wind energy facility in Luzerne Co. Unfortunately, although there exists FERC EQR transaction data for this facility, it is difficult to extract this info and too difficult to explain via email how to interpret it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've calculated monthly and annual capacity factors for each windplant in PA, and would be glad to share the results.

You also may be interested in downloading an Excel spreadsheet which contains the monthly and annual production info for most of "wind farms" operating in the US during 2005 - based on the USDOE's Energy Information Administration's "906/920" database. The spreadsheet also calculates the annual capacity factor for each wind energy facility, and for those projects larger than 25 MW it calculates their summer-time capacity factor (July through Sept). Note that there were 5 "wind farms" operating in PA during 2005 - see: http://www.windaction.org/documents/8950. It is unknown whether the monthly generation data for "wind farms" under 25 MW in size is accurate due to methodological procedures used by EIA, but the annual total is supposed to be accurate for these smaller wind energy facilities.
Last edited by George M. on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Bill Latchford wrote: I mean no disrespect but I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out. Both sides apperently have the money to make the stats say what they want.
[/quote]

Borough Councilman Latchford says "I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out." Is that a fact?
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

sandstone wrote:
Bill Latchford wrote: I mean no disrespect but I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out. Both sides apperently have the money to make the stats say what they want.
Borough Councilman Latchford says "I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out." Is that a fact?[/quote]

Anything that is debateable has facts proving each others side to the point that they are confident that they should win. I feel at least listening is a compromize on my part. Like I have said some things have made me think...I just have to get all my ducks in a row before the vote on Nov. 13.
George M.

Post by George M. »

I should have mentioned that the 430,000 MWh figure in the FERC EQR "contracts" report for Gamesa's Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm likely indicates this facility's maximum yearly production AFER installing another 40 2-MW wind turbines (i.e., after Phase 2 is built). There are many press reports which mention that the 80 MW of wind turbines now installed represents only Phase 1 of this huge "wind farm".

If you assume that the facility will operate at an average annual capacity factor of 30%, and if Gamesa installs (as planned) a total of 160 MW of wind turbines (80 2-MW machines), the total annual production of electricity would be 420,480 MWh - barely less than the quantity of electricity which First Energy has contracted with Gamesa to purchase each year from the Allegheny Ridge Wind Farm. At a cost of $65/MWh - which is 6.5-cents per kilowatt-hour - First Energy is contracted to pay Gamesa up to $27-million each year for this wind farm's electricity.
George M.

Post by George M. »

Bill,

What you have just explained to this forum is greatly disturbing -- that it is the public opinion that you hear or perceive - rather than factual information or "informed" public opinion - which will determine how you vote on this matter.

This approach to making public policy decisions seems to me to be the WORST option imaginable. Essentially, your approach encourages all sides in a contested issue to use whatever misinformation and misleading information they can get away with in order to sway public opinion. It also greatly advantages whichever side has the money or power to influence public opinion.

Given the tens of millions of dollars which Gamesa stands to gain in building a wind farm on Ice Mountain, do you really expect their opponents to have an equal ability and opportunity to influence public opinion? A moderated "informational" debate seems like the best way to "level the playing field".
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Bill Latchford wrote:
I mean no disrespect but I think all would agree, as far as the forum is concerned the debate is a draw here. I am willing to bet that there is as much written or blogged, or said about the Pros and Cons that they would cancel each other out. Both sides apperently have the money to make the stats say what they want.

A draw? It seems to me that the people on this forum are against the wind mills... where do you see a draw????
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bill Latchford wrote: I do listen to the people of our community. I have listened to them and have been their voice for over 14 years now. I would say if people were so unhappy in Tyrone with the performance of one of their Councilmembers that member would not be re-elected. That has been proven in the past without a doubt. I might add that I believe that a lot of the people talking to us hear about this paticular topic are not from the Borough of Tyrone itself. That is not a problem to me, but they are not the people that put me in office. Their opinion is important and valuable, but I take it under consideration.

WHEW !!! These are VERY intelligent people expressing there opinions on this subject, along with being able to back up what they are presenting!!! They KNOW what they are talking about!!! We should be VERY grateful that they are stepping up to help us, along with everyone in the area!! With ALL that has been presented here I cannot believe you are still "on the edge of deciding" what to decide !!! No, the pro's and con's are NOT even, as far as the over all consenses of opinion goes. As stated before.... most people in this community are unaware of any of this windmill stuff !! Most people, that know a little bit, do not even realize all that is involved.... most people, right now, do not even care one way or the other, BUT, I can guarentee you, once these things start marching in here, they will.... then, it will be too late. It's sad, it's very sad !!! This is a very nice community, with very, very nice people... some will voice their opinions and some won't even bother.. the windmills will go up, electricity rates will go up, and all the other things will start happening around the area before we know it. Then eventually, as usual, this too shall pass.
I can hear the excuses now... well, no one showed up at the council meetings when this was discussed.... etc, etc, etc.... You will not get many folks to show up at council meetings !!! There will never be enough to make a difference. The people of this community go about their business and count on you to take care of them.
One thing I can admire you for... you did stick your neck out taking on a topic that could effect Tyrone, PA for many, many years. I only wish that you would please... forget the politics, forget the $$$$, forget the nice people and their nice sales pitches. Please read and digest all that has been presented here, it's obvious that these are not the answer.... come down off of your "edge" of decision.Please think about "Our Home Town."