Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

By the way, today (Monday, November 5, 2007) on the back page of the "A" section of the Altoona Mirror (page A8) is an article about the Snyder Township Board of Supervisors race.

Says here that:

"Another issue on which (Republican Robert) Nelson and (Incumbent Supervisor Bernie) Sherwood disagree is allowing industrial windmills. Although Tyrone Borough owns the land where Gamesa wants to erect more than a dozen turbines, the township still can reap financial benefit through its unfinished wind turbine ordinance. Nelson opposes building turbines, while Sherwin supports the idea and the added revenue it would bring."
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Please check this site out... this is a first hand account of ordinary citizens who were at first unaware of these wind mills. They also mentioned how the company wormed their way into their area, however, it may not have happened that way here.When the people do have any questions, this company had an answer for everything. These things very quickly went up.... by then, it was too late... now, they are left with a mess to deal with. I hope you will be able to see this video... it's in windows media player.
PLEASE NOTE: After clicking on this site.... go approx. halfway down the page to where it says "Videos From National Wind Watch." Under this subject you will see a list of videos... click on the video that says "Life Under A Windplant (Meyersdale,PA)"
This video, from a few ordinary citizens, tells it all....
http://www.ricks-bricks.com/LookoutMountain/index.html
salaman

Post by salaman »

Luke on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:56 am
Sandstone,

I have quite a few bats in my attic. I started killing them this past year as the smell they put in my attic is pretty bad. I have tried to plug up the holes but they just keep coming in. After I killed the first one, I looked at it and felt really bad and said this is not the answer.

My only question is what long term health effects do bats in attics have on humans? I can live with the smell if there are no issues related to health.
Please do not seal their entrance until at least next May 15th or so. They are taking the big nap right now. You would just be sealing them inside! Wait until spring, then do it at night.

salaman
NSS 57313
salaman

Post by salaman »

Disregard my last post. Without knowing how your house is constructed or even where you live it would be difficult to tell if bats are using it as a hibernacula. Chances are your attic is too cold.

This site may be helpful.
http://www.batmanagement.com/index.html
billm

Post by billm »

my2cents - that was a fantastic link - if you haven't watch the videos - please do so..

the one thing I found as a common denominator with alot of these places where big wind TURBINE companies build, is that they prey on smaller communities. The they try not to have alot of discussions/decisions made outside of a select few (i.e. - a "board") .
Stand up for more than a dollar figure, and realize the negative impact this will have on our community, for a long time.
and if the board and wind power company hasn't informed everyone by certified letter what the potential impacts are on this development - then we should surely question the real motives.

watch the videos, please - these are the other communities who have been "had"
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Luke wrote:Sandstone,

I have quite a few bats in my attic. I started killing them this past year as the smell they put in my attic is pretty bad. I have tried to plug up the holes but they just keep coming in. After I killed the first one, I looked at it and felt really bad and said this is not the answer.

My only question is what long term health effects do bats in attics have on humans? I can live with the smell if there are no issues related to health.
In Pennsylvania, bats inhabit attics only in summer. Except for the 3 migratory species of bats in PA (red, hoary, and silver-haired), bats hibernate in caves and mines (November-April) where a steady temperature of ~50 is maintained. Small numbers of bats in your attic would produce a small amount of guano each year, which can be safely removed from your attic and used as fertilizer in your yard. In fact, the "harvest" of bat guano is a lucrative business in some parts of the world. Bats are very clean animals and rarely carry any disease that would harm humans. Only a very tiny percentage of bats would have rabies. You are at much greater risk of being harmed by a dog or a cat.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:By the way, today (Monday, November 5, 2007) on the back page of the "A" section of the Altoona Mirror (page A8) is an article about the Snyder Township Board of Supervisors race.

Says here that:

"Another issue on which (Republican Robert) Nelson and (Incumbent Supervisor Bernie) Sherwood disagree is allowing industrial windmills. Although Tyrone Borough owns the land where Gamesa wants to erect more than a dozen turbines, the township still can reap financial benefit through its unfinished wind turbine ordinance. Nelson opposes building turbines, while Sherwin supports the idea and the added revenue it would bring."
If you live in Snyder Township, then vote for Robert Nelson (R) for Township Supervisor!
RedhairNFreckles

Post by RedhairNFreckles »

You could always try what they do in NC to keep the pesty crows out of their newly planted gardens. It's disgusting, but many of the "ol timers" will hang a dead crow from a nearby tree or a tall stake near their gardens to ward off the new plant-stealing crows. One wiff, or sight, of that dead crow and you won't find a crow going anywhere near the garden. It might work with bats too.
SoccerMom
MVP Member

Post by SoccerMom »

I Pennsylvania, bats inhabit attics only in summer. Except for the 3 migratory species of bats in PA (red, hoary, and silver-haired), bats hibernate in caves and mines (November-April) where a steady temperature of ~50 is maintained. Small numbers of bats in your attic would produce a small amount of guano each year, which can be safely removed from your attic and used as fertilizer in your yard. In fact, the "harvest" of bat guano is a lucrative business in some parts of the world. Bats are very clean animals and rarely carry any disease that would harm humans. Only a very tiny percentage of bats would have rabies. You are at much greater risk of being harmed by a dog or a cat.
n Pennsylvania, bats inhabit attics only in summer. Except for the 3 migratory species of bats in PA (red, hoary, and silver-haired), bats hibernate in caves and mines (November-April) where a steady temperature of ~50 is maintained. Small numbers of bats in your attic would produce a small amount of guano each year, which can be safely removed from your attic and used as fertilizer in your yard. In fact, the "harvest" of bat guano is a lucrative business in some parts of the world. Bats are very clean animals and rarely carry any disease that would harm humans. Only a very tiny percentage of bats would have rabies. You are at much greater risk of being harmed by a dog or a cat.
Sandstone, you are absolutely right, and fall is the best time of the year to seal off those entry ways into your home.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
150thBucktailCo.I wrote:By the way, today (Monday, November 5, 2007) on the back page of the "A" section of the Altoona Mirror (page A8) is an article about the Snyder Township Board of Supervisors race.

Says here that:

If you live in Snyder Township, then vote for Robert Nelson (R) for Township Supervisor!
RIGHT ON!!

Let's preserve our quality of life and our rural lifestyle in Snyder Township by voting for Robert Nelson (R) TODAY!!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks for above info guy's :thumb: !!! Do you know of any others that are running and are against the wind turbines ?? :flag:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

billm wrote:my2cents - that was a fantastic link - if you haven't watch the videos - please do so..

the one thing I found as a common denominator with alot of these places where big wind TURBINE companies build, is that they prey on smaller communities. The they try not to have alot of discussions/decisions made outside of a select few (i.e. - a "board") .
Stand up for more than a dollar figure, and realize the negative impact this will have on our community, for a long time.
and if the board and wind power company hasn't informed everyone by certified letter what the potential impacts are on this development - then we should surely question the real motives.

watch the videos, please - these are the other communities who have been "had"
Thanks billm.... I had only watched the "Meyersdale, PA." one. This morning, I watched them all. All, are a typical example of what could happen around here because the majority of the people are unaware. The wind turbine folks presented "Rosie" sales pitches to the powers that be in different communities and once they fell for it and were allowed in, it was too late... These videos are very informative as to what it is really like having to live around them. A gentlemen in one of those videos states that along with everything else.... their electricity rates were increased and so were their taxes.
I did not realize until this morning that it took so long for some of those videos to download... I wish there were an easier way to present them on here. Some folks may not wait long enough for them to download completely. Most take 10 to 15 minutes, one took about an hour.... I guess it also depends on ones computer too.
By the way.... there are other areas in that site that are very informative also....
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

sandstone wrote:

In Pennsylvania, bats inhabit attics only in summer. Except for the 3 migratory species of bats in PA (red, hoary, and silver-haired), bats hibernate in caves and mines (November-April) where a steady temperature of ~50 is maintained. Small numbers of bats in your attic would produce a small amount of guano each year, which can be safely removed from your attic and used as fertilizer in your yard. In fact, the "harvest" of bat guano is a lucrative business in some parts of the world. Bats are very clean animals and rarely carry any disease that would harm humans. Only a very tiny percentage of bats would have rabies. You are at much greater risk of being harmed by a dog or a cat.

I have an innovative Amish neighbor who has the same problem.
However, he's figured out a way to take advantage of these unwelcome guests.
He places large trays of mushrooms underneath their attic perches.
As the bat's defecate, their guano provides ample fertilizer for the mushrooms.
He sells them at his roadside stand, along with his other crops like sweet corn.
Pictured below is part of last years bumper crop.

...might be an easy way to supplement your income.

George M.

Post by George M. »

Here's a graph I created showing the monthly electricity output of a nuclear powerplant, a coal-fired powerplant, and a "wind farm" with Gamesa-manufactured turbines - all located in PA. The monthly output is based on the generation data reported by each facility's owner and obtained from federal government websites. Note that I weighted each facility's output so that it represents 2,000 MW of generating capacity. For example, I multiplied the monthly output data of the 24 MW Bear Creek "wind farm" by 2000/24, and likewise similarly weighted the generating capacity of the other 2 powerplants so that the graph would show an "apples to apples" comparison (i.e., each facility's output is based on 2,000 MW).

Note the relatively low production of electricity by wind turbines in comparison to these conventional sources of electricity. Annually, the electricity generated by the 2 conventional powerplants was at least 3 times that of the "wind farm" on a per MW basis. However, in July, each MW of the Homer City or Limerick powerplants would equal the output of at least 7 MW of the Bear Creek "windplant" (which began full operation in March 2006).

sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
sandstone wrote:

Says here that:

RIGHT ON!!

Let's preserve our quality of life and our rural lifestyle in Snyder Township by voting for Robert Nelson (R) TODAY!!

Don't forget to vote for Robert Nelson (R)) for Snyder Township supervisor!