Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Ice Man »

Bill Latchford wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

I'll always have more respect for people who volunteer their time freely, without regard for monetary compensation.

- Is there another form of volunteering? :huh:
Maybe I can help with that....."By definition, a volunteer worker does not get paid or receive compensation for services rendered other than sometimes reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses."
Yes there are other forms of volunteering. I volunteered for military service, I wasn't drafted. I added the "without regard for monetary compensation" to emphasize my point that, unlike the Gamesa reps and PR people, SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN doesn't have a paid staff. I don't need your "help" in grammar, word use, or spelling. I find your remark very condescending.
Bill Latchford
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Bill Latchford »

I believe this topic will just go down hill from here...Nothing can really be said that has not been said a million and one times before, and I fear that only feelings can get hurt from this point on...I therefore am retiring from this topic and will be thankful when it is put to rest. Take Care All :w
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

You said that some time ago............
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

LOL... TAKE THAT....wow...the king has left the building. I think we all knew Bill would come in here with a pompous and all-knowing attitude if the vote went the way it did. His posts have become blatantly arrogant since the vote. A few of us knew it was coming and even thought he would bait people into an argument so Rick would lock the thread. I don't know if its worth the fight or aggravation anymore at this point. So I want to say this to those of you that have believed in a cause and worked diligently to educate the community. Sandstone, IceMan, Bucktail, My2Cents, and the rest... Its been my pleasure coming together with an intelligent group of people to stand up for something we all believe in.

Human nature sometimes surprises me, but not often. This is just another let down ..... Who would think that in the end the people of this town would sacrifice the very mountain that is a seasonal home and migratory route of the bird that they named their beloved football team after?

lol... I've heard Bill spout off more than once that he just isn't a nature enthusiast like the rest of us in this forum. And yet ironically......... his chief reason for supporting a windfarm on Ice Mountain has been to conserve nature and help to make the planet green..........I'm not sure if thats HYSTERICAL or :huh: . I think we all know why this council supports the windfarm .........they think their town is going to become gloriously rich and like he said...he's gonna enjoy spending the money.

Does anyone know the ins and the outs of the home rule charter in Tyrone? By-laws? PM me please if so.

One more thing... I just have to mention this... The post that was supposedly written by Bill's brother on the sly....certainly screamed Bill's language. ...at any rate, ......... is silent majority is a second account?
Last edited by Something to say on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something to say
MVP Member

Global Stock Market Blog

The big Spanish utility Iberdrola SA, a global leader in renewable energy, paid about $4 billion last year to buy a 24% stake in Spanish turbine maker Gamesa SA – and lock up most of it’s production through 2009! This investment gives Iberdrola a big edge in the industry since it now controls its own supply.

Euro-Utilities on the Prowl for U.S. Wind Energy Assets

The move really paid dividends for Iberdrola last year when it was contacted by Community Energy, a utility in Pennsylvania that was stalled in its own efforts to build a new wind farm.

Iberdrola provided the wind-turbine technology that Community Energy was lacking (and ended up buying the company outright), and today the utility provides enough power from the wind to light up about 6,500 homes.

On the prowl!!!! Provides enough energy from the wind to light up about 6500 homes....woooooooooohoooooooooo........6500 homes............wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Green Energy Projected Market Growth ( US Billions. 2007 ).............60.8

Go Green and Grow Rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? :mrgreen:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Something to say... you certainly do have something to say and you say it well !!! Thank You !!! :thumb: Whew....
Something to say
MVP Member

Well thank you My2Cents....

I've said a lot... Maybe I should have been saying all along EXACTLY what I thought... instead of worrying about the thread being locked, or hurting feelings. I guess now is better than never.

Bill Latchford has lied to the people in this forum. He asked for a petition then cleverly squirmed out of having to follow through with his recommendation. ( He knowingly joined a group at his place of employment to keep from honoring his verbal commitment )

He has, as Ice Man pointed out earlier, been condescending, and arrogant in his responses to people.

He has taken popshots at anyone and everyone that doesn't see things exactly as he wishes, and has gotten away with it while accusing others for doing the same thing. In one of his most recent posts he called the "leader of this gang" a hot head or something like that.. I can't be bothered to go back and look. He also said a resident of this town brow-beat people into signing a petition while in a drunken stupor then .......if you dig into the post his brother supposedly wrote...went as far as mentioning names.....

In my opinion, he has done everything in his power to antagonise and belittle people after asking them their points of view.

Bucktail was right in what he said in an earlier post... Council had no business presenting that survey to the public. It should have been handled by a group of citizens that were not part of the governing body in town. They could have asked two people that have spoke out .... one for and one against the windfarm.... to man that table and do it fairly. But that might not have given them the outcome they wanted.

If I were a citizen of Tyrone I would do EVERYTHING in my power to bring this to council's attention. You all might consider contacting WTAJ and asking for an interview. AND I would definitely come out to vote in the next election of council members.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

I'm not aware of any industrial windplant in our area that has been prevented by convincing the interested landowners (in this case the Borough of Tyrone) to change their minds. The landowners all seem to be unconcerned about the effects of such development on their neighbors (as usual, and in many cases blinded by $$$$$$$), and seem to think that putting up arrays of 400-foot-tall towers with whirling blades is no different than putting up a shed on their land.

However, as with any land use, the governing municipality, in this case Snyder Township (not the Borough of Tyrone), has the final say, and, if the Snyder Township Board of Supervisors adopts a windplant ordinance like that of Antis, Tyrone, Frankstown, or Logan Township, then the Ice Mountain windplant will be dead in the water.

So, to all of you who want to save this Blair County Natural Heritage Area, I say go to the next Snyder Township Board of Supervisors meeting and ask them to adopt a windplant ordinance like that of their neighboring townships. If you are a resident of Snyder Township, then you will have more clout, but you don't have to be a resident to make your voice heard.

The Antis Township windplant ordinance is the only one that is online, and is at http://www.antistownship.org/antis/lib/ ... inance.pdf
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Yes, all of this comes down to Snyder Township regardless of anything that has been presented here. I spoke with a friend in Snyder and she says most are not interested in the windfarms. I guess it's a wait and see.
anne onimous1

Post by anne onimous1 »

Most that she has discussed the issue with, not intended to speak for all
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Oh GREAT... so, there is still a ray of hope out there. I didn't realize Snyder would play such an important role here. I thought all would depend upon the outcome of Tyrone's decisions.
OK, gotta' ask and I don't mean to imply anything, just asking....
Why, while all this wind mill stuff was going on in Tyrone (since way back when)... why didn't Snyder work on adopting an ordinance in the meantime ?? Is it going to turn out to be a too late now scenerio ??
P.S. When is the next Snyder Supervisor's Meeting ??
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

My2Cents wrote:Oh GREAT... so, there is still a ray of hope out there. I didn't realize Snyder would play such an important role here. I thought all would depend upon the outcome of Tyrone's decisions.
OK, gotta' ask and I don't mean to imply anything, just asking....
Why, while all this wind mill stuff was going on in Tyrone (since way back when)... why didn't Snyder work on adopting an ordinance in the meantime ?? Is it going to turn out to be a too late now scenerio ??
P.S. When is the next Snyder Supervisor's Meeting ??
It's more than "a ray of hope." As SS noted above, these land-use battles are rarely won by convincing a landowner (in this case the Borough of Tyrone) to do what's right for the community and the environment. Land-use battles usually take place at the township level, with the township enacting ordinances that take the community and the environment into consideration, as our neighboring townships have done. All you need to do at the next Snyder Township supervisors meeting is ask them to adopt the same windplant ordinance as our neighboring township of Antis has done. Gamesa must abide by Snyder Township's rules.

Remember the Borough of Tyrone is the landowner, but the Borough of Tyrone has no regulatory authority regarding land use in Snyder Township. The Ice Mt windfarm is proposed for Snyder Township, so Snyder Township is the regulatory authority.

Remember that the new Snyder Township supervisor, Robert Nelson, made his opposition to the Ice Mountain windplant known during the election in November.

You don't have to be a Snyder Township resident to have a voice at their Board of Supervisors meetings.

The township building is on Old Route 220 in Vail. Give the Township a call at 684-1048 (Anne Dillon is the township secretary) to find out when the next Board of Supervisors meeting will occur. Let us know, too. Then attend and just ask them to adopt the Antis Twp ordinance.

Thanks for all your hard work!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks Ice Man.... I do remember when Mr. Nelson was elected to office and that he did state that he was opposed to wind turbines/wind farms. I noticed in Friday's Herald (April 25th) there was a "Notice Of Special Meeting" announcement which stated; "On Monday, April 28, 2008 at 6:30 P.M. the Borough Council is to meet with the Borough's Forester regarding Gypsy Moth Spraying and to discuss any other items as may come before the Council." I can't imagine them voting on these wind turbines at this meeting.... does anyone think they will ?? This thing is not etched in gold yet by any means.
Last edited by My2Cents on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser1

Post by cruiser1 »

This issue will never be "put to rest" if the wind farm goes in. Everyone that I talked to that was for it always said it was because of the money or they had friends that would benefit. That is what it came down to. Along the way, I lost respect for a lot of these people and I plan on having nothing to do with them. Some I have known most of my life. So now there is a rift in Tyrone but seeing how we live in Appalachia let us call it a feud. Thanks Gamesa.
ardean

Post by ardean »

somethingtosay...In response to silent majority being a second account the answer is yes. Honestly...it was me the whole time. In reference to mentioning people in a drunken stupor, I was joking. I love those guys. I guess Bill and I would seem to be the same person. But I assure you it was me...Ardean. Look, I have recently dug into quite abit of info on wind energy and it does seem good. But, do I want to see the monstrousities on the mountain I love...NO. You have to admit, Bill and I are different...I'm nice,he's mean... :rofl: Anyway,he's gone now. I think the best thing we can do now is hopefully what we should have been doing this whole time and that is praying for our leaders whether local or national. I believe what the bible tells me when it says, I believe in Romans 13, that if God didn't want those who rule over us to be there, don't you think He has the power to remove them. Didn't mean to get all righteous on anybody.