Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Ice Man »

sandstone wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Somewhere along PA's ridgetops, long before the 30 year mark.... someone will have the umph to stop these things from going in just anywhere they choose to put them. .
Already done in Tyrone Township, Antis Township, Logan Township, and Frankstown Township. Those Blair County municipalities stopped proposed windplants. Snyder Township is the outlier.
As sandstone said, Logan, Tyrone, and Antis Townships enacted (and stuck to) ordinances prohibiting industrial windplants on Brush Mountain, where Gamesa had been negotiating with private landowners and the Altoona Water Authority to build a 25-turbine windplant 3 years ago. Frankstown Township prohibited Invergy from building a 30-turbine windplant on Lock Mountain 2 years ago.

Indeed, Snyder Township is the outlier!
My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

It doesn't take much anymore ..... however, gotta' tell you..... ALL the above ( from Ice Man/sandstone) has made my day !!!
If only this company would just go away !!! Sorry for re-doing this post again.... can't spell and tried a cartwheel which didn't work at all.
Last edited by My2Cents on Tue May 19, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

Ice Man wrote:
sandstone wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Somewhere along PA's ridgetops, long before the 30 year mark.... someone will have the umph to stop these things from going in just anywhere they choose to put them. .
Already done in Tyrone Township, Antis Township, Logan Township, and Frankstown Township. Those Blair County municipalities stopped proposed windplants. Snyder Township is the outlier.
As sandstone said, Logan, Tyrone, and Antis Townships enacted (and stuck to) ordinances prohibiting industrial windplants on Brush Mountain, where Gamesa had been negotiating with private landowners and the Altoona Water Authority to build a 25-turbine windplant 3 years ago. Frankstown Township prohibited Invergy from building a 30-turbine windplant on Lock Mountain 2 years ago.

Indeed, Snyder Township is the outlier!
Snyder Township is an outlier also because it is the only township that I know of where the supervisors actually voted to IGNORE PROVISIONS OF THE TOWNSHIP'S OWN WINDPLANT ORDINANCE so that the windplant could be developed!
TOM111378
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by TOM111378 »

what u mean Logan Township not buting win mills in they are talking a bout buting 18 in in they let it up 2 the Planning Commission 2 look at and letme tell u if the Logan Township come back with a yes on it they will go up and the win mills they are talking a bout are 335 feet tall so i would not down Snyder Township untell u know that logan town ship wont do it be cause i talk 2 a guy on Logan Township planning commission and hes all for it.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

TOM111378 wrote:what u mean Logan Township not buting win mills in they are talking a bout buting 18 in in they let it up 2 the Planning Commission 2 look at and letme tell u if the Logan Township come back with a yes on it they will go up and the win mills they are talking a bout are 335 feet tall so i would not down Snyder Township untell u know that logan town ship wont do it be cause i talk 2 a guy on Logan Township planning commission and hes all for it.
Gamesa asked Logan Township to expand its windplant zone north of Rt 36 and Logan Township denied Gamesa's request.

Three months ago, Gamesa told Logan Township that it was impossible to build a windplant in Logan Township's windplant zone. Now Gamesa says that it is possible to build a windplant there.

Gamesa is asking Logan Township to ignore the height provision in the Logan Township windplant ordinance. The matter has been referred to the Logan Township Planning Commission.

In any case, Tom, the proposed windplant that I was referring to, and that was clearly stated in the Ice Man's post, was the proposed Gamesa windplant on BRUSH MOUNTAIN. Three years ago, the Logan Township Planning Commission and the Logan Township Board of Supervisors told Gamesa that BRUSH MOUNTAIN IS OFF-LIMITS TO INDUSTRIAL WINDPLANT DEVELOPMENT. Logan Township has zoning and zoned Chestnut Flats as a 30-square-mile area for windplant development. Gamesa wanted to have the area expanded but the township's already denied this three times and told Gamesa to not ask again.

Regarding Snyder Township, since the supervisors voted to ignore their OWN ordinance, Snyder Township residents would be justified in suing the supervisors under mandamus:

Mandamus

A writ of mandamus or simply mandamus, which means "we command" in Latin, is the name of one of the prerogative writs in the common law, and is "issued by a superior court to compel a lower court or a government officer to perform mandatory or purely ministerial duties correctly".

Mandamus is a judicial remedy which is in the form of an order from a superior court to any government, subordinate court, corporation or public authority to do or forbear from doing some specific act which that body is obliged under law to do or refrain from doing, as the case may be, and which is in the nature of public duty and in certain cases of a statutory duty. It cannot be issued to compel an authority to do something against statutory provision.
sammie

Post by sammie »

TOM111378 wrote:what u mean Logan Township not buting win mills in they are talking a bout buting 18 in in they let it up 2 the Planning Commission 2 look at and letme tell u if the Logan Township come back with a yes on it they will go up and the win mills they are talking a bout are 335 feet tall so i would not down Snyder Township untell u know that logan town ship wont do it be cause i talk 2 a guy on Logan Township planning commission and hes all for it.
Tom,

18 of the turbines that Gamesa is proposing for Logan Twp are actually over 460 feet tall to the tip of the blades. The article in the newspaper was talking about the hub height.

You said you talked to a guy on the Logan Township Planning Commission who is in favor of the wind turbines. Then you can assume that the guy has not done adequate research on the subject and therefore should not be involved in community planning.
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

My2Cents wrote:It doesn't take much anymore ..... however, gotta' tell you..... ALL the above ( from Ice Man/sandstone) has made my day !!!
If only this company would just go away !!! Sorry for re-doing this post again.... can't spell and tried a cartwheel which didn't work at all.

Cartwheel? Cartwheel? Wow...wish you would have mentioned that sooner. Maybe we could have asked the proponents of the windplant to Save Ice Mountain.....literally......coulda just strung them up to the grid and ........waaaa laaaaaa

ImageImageImage
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

WOW Sts :rofl: !!! Thanks !!! I wanted to do one of those cartwheels earlier and couldn't. I guess this is as close as it
gets without getting grid burns. :mrgreen:
Fightin' Irish

Post by Fightin' Irish »

Ya gotta be kiddin' me, Tom!!!

A few days ago you insisted that a landowner (Tyrone Borough) could develop a wind plant without the consent of the municipality (Snyder Township) in which the wind plant was to be located!! You said that since the Tyrone Borough Council voted for the wind plant, it didn't matter whether Snyder Township supervisors voted for or against it. Please explain why the Altoona Water Authority, on whose property the proposed Chestnut Flats Wind Farm is to be built, is waiting for a decision from Logan Township.

We're all ears waiting for your explanation! :w

Fightin' Irish
Fightin' Irish

Post by Fightin' Irish »

Something to say wrote:
My2Cents wrote:It doesn't take much anymore ..... however, gotta' tell you..... ALL the above ( from Ice Man/sandstone) has made my day !!!

Cartwheel? Cartwheel? Wow...wish you would have mentioned that sooner. Maybe we could have asked the proponents of the windplant to Save Ice Mountain.....literally......coulda just strung them up to the grid and ........waaaa laaaaaa

ImageImageImage
If these 3 Tyrone Borough Council members did that for 8 hours every day, then they'd provide enough electricity to serve 86 homes.
TOM111378

Post by TOM111378 »

Fightin' Irish what i ment the other day was tyrone was buting 16 win mills in under the ORDINANCE and with out the set back that was passed all the set back did was give them 9 more but be for the vote game was all ready cuting down tree up there i was up there the sat be for the set back vote and there was like 50 tree gone and road was being but in u can ask game and tyrone they will tell u the same.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:lol: WOW Irish, 86 homes !! With or without the grid ??
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

TOM111378 wrote:Fightin' Irish what i ment the other day was tyrone was buting 16 win mills in under the ORDINANCE and with out the set back that was passed all the set back did was give them 9 more but be for the vote game was all ready cuting down tree up there i was up there the sat be for the set back vote and there was like 50 tree gone and road was being but in u can ask game and tyrone they will tell u the same.
Snyder Township's windplant ordinance still does NOT permit industrial wind turbine in Important Bird Areas (IBA). Supervisors Diehl and Nelson simply voted to not enforce this provision. ALL of Ice Mt is part of the Allegheny Front IBA. Thus, under the ordinance, NO industrial wind turbines could have been built there. Taylor Township (Centre County) does permit industrial wind turbines in IBAs, so the Taylor Township (Gardner Mountain) portion of the windplant could have been built, however, that is on property that is NOT owned by the Borough of Tyrone.

In summary, Tom, you are misinformed.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

TOM111378 wrote: what i ment the other day was tyrone was buting 16 win mills in under the ORDINANCE .
Under the ordinance Tyrone could have put in ZERO!
TOM111378

Post by TOM111378 »

sandstone and icemen then tell how they could cut tree out befor the set back meeting i talk 2 all 3 town ship sup and ask them would game sell but win mills in under that ordinance they all said yes standstone u but NO industrial wind turbines could have been built that a lie i seen the ordinance it never said that. i am not fight with u two i mean come on all 3 said they could under that ordinance so come on.