Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
sandstone
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

industrial windfarms for Philipsburg and Tyrone

Post by sandstone »

banksy wrote:Ah, so it probably makes Phillipsbugh looks worse than Tyrone? If that's the case I talked to Vroman and he says its okay to roll with.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
http://www.windaction.org/releases/9608

INDUSTRIAL WIND ACTION GROUP WELCOMES RELEASE OF NAS REPORT ON THE ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS OF WIND ENERGY PROJECTS

Organization calls for more thorough cost-benefit analysis prior to the permitting and construction of commercial-scale wind projects

NEW HAMPSHIRE (May 18, 2007). Industrial Wind Action (IWA) Group welcomed the release of the National Academies' National Research Council (NRC) report[1] on the environmental impacts of wind energy projects. Although this report focused upon the Mid-Atlantic Highlands[2], it provides detailed information and recommendations relevant to the entire country. The NRC found that "Because wind energy is new to many state and local governments, the quality of processes for permitting wind-energy developments is uneven." The report also stated that there's "little anticipatory planning for wind-energy projects, and even if it occurred, it is not clear whether mechanisms exist that could incorporate such planning in regulatory decisions."

Lisa Linowes, Executive Director of Industrial Wind Action (IWA) Group agreed, stating that "most rural communities and state-level permitting boards have little experience dealing with the breadth of issues involved in erecting 400-foot structures along miles of new roads built in areas typically undisturbed by human activity." She added that the impacts on the local environment, the cumulative impacts on wildlife, and the health, welfare, and safety risks to nearby residents all need to be assessed and measured against a proposed project's promised benefits. "Unfortunately, what we're finding is a rush to approve applications on the grounds that any wind generated power - no matter how nominal - is believed to reduce atmospheric emissions and, thus, offset adverse impacts."

But the NRC report found that the environmental benefits of wind power were not certain, particularly in the Mid-Atlantic area. The report states that due to regulatory limits already in place, wind energy development will provide no reduction in emissions of sulfur and nitrogen oxides, the pollutants responsible for acid rain and ground-level ozone. Regarding carbon dioxide, industrial wind turbines will offset national emissions by only 1.2-4.5% from the levels that otherwise would occur from electricity generation.[3] Consequently, wind power will not reduce carbon emissions of the U.S., but merely will slow the increase by a small amount.
The NRC report also makes clear there is insufficient information to assess the potential for population impacts on birds in the eastern U.S. And, while wildlife mortality research at wind energy facilities is limited and not standardized, the report concludes the potential for impacts on bat populations in the eastern U.S. appears significant. Linowes echoed the NRC's call for more, credible research, but added the wind industry is dismissive of the need for pre-construction wildlife studies claiming such studies have proven poor indicators of post-construction impacts. "This argument is more self-serving than fact-based," she said, and added that the lack of well-designed studies hindered the ability of land-use decision makers to determine whether a project is well sited. "It's much more difficult, legally and practicably, to mitigate for adverse effects after the turbines are operational," she said.

Based on the NRC's projection that 72,000 megawatts (MW) of wind capacity will be built in the U.S by 2020, owners of wind projects could reap $40-billion[4] in federal tax credits alone (excluding adjustments for inflation). "Add to this federal accelerated depreciation, and state and local tax subsidies, and we begin to understand the enormous cost of wind generation in terms of public dollars," Linowes said, adding that the environmental and public costs will not reduce our reliance on traditional generation nor will it provide meaningful reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. IWA firmly asserts the public deserves to see quantifiable benefits to wind development before any project is granted a green light.

Industrial Wind Action Group seeks to promote knowledge and raise awareness of the risks and damaging environmental impacts of industrial wind energy development. Information and analysis on the subject is available through its website, http://www.windaction.org. To subscribe to the IWA weekly newsletter, visit http://www.windaction.org/subscribe.

###

Lisa Linowes
603-838-6588
Llinowes@windaction.org

[1] http://www.vawind.org/Assets/NRC/NRC_Wind.htm

[2] The mid-Atlantic Highlands include elevated regions of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

[3] Electricity generation is responsible for only 39% of total U.S. carbon dioxide emissions from energy use.

[4] Assumes an average 30% capacity factor and production tax credit of .020 cents per kWh.
MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

Windmills on Ice Mountain is also the name of an unreleased concept album by Jethro Tull.
The band split up in the making of the album due to artistic differences over the album cover.
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

...a more "Eco friendly" alternative to wind energy?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
http://webmineral.com/data/Dilithium.shtml

DILITHIUM CRYSTAL ACTION GROUP ANNOUNCES COMPLETION OF PHASE ONE OF ITS PA ENERGY PROJECT

Cost-benefit analysis indicates large scale commercial ventures financially feasible.

PENNSYLVANIA (May 19, 2007). The Industrial Dilithium Action (IDA) Group welcomed the release of the National Academies' National Research Council (NRC) report[1] on the financial implications of it's energy project. The Action Group developed new methods that allowed synthetic dilithium crystals in the reaction chamber to convert matter-antimatter streams to electricity in excess of 90,000 MegaWatts (MW) at half the cost of previous prototypes. Project leaders stated that 99% of the residual waste produced in the reaction chamber was vaporized into a harmless hydrogen gas. The few solids that remained were safely disposed of in nearby landfills.

Governor Rendell is expected to back legislation that would give the Dilithium Crystal Industry huge tax breaks similar to the one's enjoyed by the Wind Energy Industry. The Legislature plans on voting on PA Bill 5890S during the fall session of the 2007 Legislative year.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain

Post by My2Cents »

Here we go again folks... it's rearing it's ugly head again. :hail: Please pay attention... please read up on this stuff. We do not need any of this stuff in, or anywhere near, Tyrone, Pennsylvania. Sure, it will bring in money for the borough... but, the overall consequences will be devistating. Also, it will hardly generate anything !!! Read some of the websites that have been submitted on this topic. I haven't gone thru this site recently, but, I believe Bucktail submitted some good ones above with a lot of information about them. They talk about how wonderful they are accepted in Europe and other places overseas. Sure they are, and do you know why ?? They have different electrical systems over there and, in some places, windmills are wonderful. Not in PAUSA. :flag:
SANTEEO

Re:

Post by SANTEEO »

banksy wrote:Ah, so it probably makes Phillipsbugh looks worse than Tyrone? If that's the case I talked to Vroman and he says its okay to roll with.
And just when was the last time you were in Philisburg?
I pass by it everyday and your making it out to be so large...........it sit's way back from the road.Unless your looking for it,you can't even see it and for your information its white and blends in with the sky.People worring about birds and bats,you better start to grip some of these idea's,its called our future.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:huh: :roll: :slap: :rofl:..... :stick: !!! :shock: :lol: !!! :wall:
SANTEEO

Post by SANTEEO »

:mob: :wall: :mob: :banghead: :hail: :hail: :hail: :slap: LOL :rofl:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:huh: OK, I give :hail: .
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

You know, we have had a few Council meetings on this subject....and I might add a very nice presentation by Gamasa about the Portage / Allegheny windplant. Some name like that...Anyhow I have heard the pros and cons of this topic and it is pretty much even. Except one thing....The people weighing in on the cons side of things have been pretty, How can I put it? hmmmmm well rude about their comments....they keep saying the same thing over and over again and well sometimes it just sounds like a broken record. I have not heard the pro side of this argument bad mouth the cons side of it yet. But there is certainly some mouthy types on the cons side. Where is the updated information from the cons side? I guess when it comes right down to it....I have not heard from a single State Representative, Senator, anyone in the legislative body who has come forth in support of the cons. I am sure the State is well aware of what is being proposed for the Tyrone area. frankly most of the cons speakers aren't even from Tyrone. Our last Council meeting Gamasa was there and answered one person's questions, I think maybe he had two and seemed fine with the answers given by the experts about this important topic. I am not thinking about this from the hip...I have seen all the horrible websites and yes I have seen the inspiring websites....heck even on The US Department of Energy's website is touting the benefits of Wind and Hydro energy at:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/windandhydro/
Who knows if it will come to pass here in Tyrone....but alternatives have to be found in our lifetime....It is for the future we do the right things today. We won't see the benefits of all our efforts, but it is for the future generations that we do the right thing. Thanks for hearing me out.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Bill, I, being one of the "cons" on this topic must say that I am definately no expert on the pros and/or cons of any of this. I can only go by what I have read about them.I don't fully understand the whole aspect of these windmills. Personally, I just can't see cutting down all those trees in our mountains and installing something that will harm and/or kill the wildlife, (yes, they will), be an eyesore,(yes, they will) and make noise (yes, they make noise). What is wrong with solar energy... why can't they pursue that instead of going full speed ahead with these things ?? I'm asking this because I do not know and/or understand. Solar energy would be sooooo much better.... wouldn't it ??? I don't know.
I do know that this is going to bring in a lot of money for our town on a annual basis...and also, create jobs.... this part of the whole scenerio is GREAT!!! I guess my reasons for the "con" part of this whole thing it is mainly, the above 3 reasons.... along with the fact that I have also "read" that they really don't generate that much energy, if push should come to shove.... especially, if the wind isn't blowing.
I would be convinced if it can be proven somehow that this is definitely the way to go and that solar power is just wishful thinking. Otherwise, like everything else... go for it, good luck, and I, and my thoughts, will get over it sooner or later :thumb: .
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

How many long-term jobs would this create for any Tyrone resident?
SANTEEO

Post by SANTEEO »

You sound reasonable... time to up my medication. :rofl:
Bill Latchford
MVP Member

Post by Bill Latchford »

I am going on a tour of the Portage Area WindPlant and I hope to gain some first hand knowledge of what these things are like. They say that there are instances of birds and bats being killed by these things....Gamasa has lowered the footprint of one of these things dramatically, and the way they reclaim so much of the site and replant is, I think, very eco friendly. The idea behind noise is an interesting one....I personally can’t wait to forge my own thoughts on the noise....That of course is a huge debate...Some say they are outrageously noisy and others say that is very quiet. I want to hear them for myself.
Along the lines of work for Tyrone residence....Very good question Banksy....I will find out...It is a tremendous undertaking to install these things. I know they bid out the building of the roads and such so that should let some local construction company's whom employee Tyrone residence.
We will see what the future holds for these things in Tyrone.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Bill Latchford wrote:It is a tremendous undertaking to install these things. I know they bid out the building of the roads and such so that should let some local construction company's whom employee Tyrone residence.
Long-term jobs, not just throwing in a road and a fence around the perimeter. Pehpaps any deal with Gamsa should include commitments to local jobs and their duration.