Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Re: Windmills on Ice Mountain - Gamesa Wind Turbines

Post by Rick »

Once again, I find myself in this thread due to infractions of our board etiquette. I am working my way back through the posts, and trimming out comments and posts that are irreverent, or malicious in nature. I will not be explaining my actions concerning this matter any more, or annotating my edits.. This is a private board, and we allow discussions of matters close to home to Tyrone residents, as long as the discussions adhere to our code of conduct. Please do not email or PM me with complaints that I am censoring you, by all means, you are more than welcome to go start your own board somewhere and discuss what ever you want in great detail, but not on our board. Also, this is not a violation of first amendment rights, go look it up, if you feel the need to do so. Most of you understand and follow my requests to keep our forum in line, and for that, I commend you. I do not want to be the board-babysitter, but it is a task I undertake to keep the forum in tact, and safe. If you have particular, legitimate concerns, please feel free to PM me with your point of view.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
Something to say
MVP Member

Post by Something to say »

Ice Man wrote:Hi folks,

SOAR members just sent in a report on Logan Twp Supervisor's mtg. held in Altoona, PA (Blair County). Gamesa is now asking for taller turbines.
Note the cost of these taller turbines. Sounds like the G87 model with the 100 meter tower.

And to think Gamesa said the project would be dead if they couldn’t get more project area!!

Laura

Here is their summary:

John (last name?) was there alone representing Gamesa. Gamesa is asking for an ordinance change from the current hub height of 270 ft (78 meters) to 335 ft (100 meters). The supervisors asked him about the visibility of them from the Horseshoe Curve, increased noise, increased foundation size, increase in base clearing, increase in road size and runnoff from compacted roads, They also asked if they had built any others this tall in our region and requested that balloons be put up again and wanted them to "tip" height. They asked how much each turbine would cost and jokingly asked if Mr. Rendell would be at their next meeting. A couple of them remarked about the number of changes Gamesa has made since this all started back in 06 and if they could expect more changes in the future. Gamesa will have to go before the Planning Commission again to lay out their new plan in detail at a date yet to be determined. It will be soon, but not at the June 2nd meeting.

This is what John said:

19 turbines in the original zoning area.

1 turbine would be at the orginal 404 foot size because of its location and setback requirements.

18 turbines would be 60 feet taller, between 460 and 470 feet tall!!! Said they have not built any in this region at this height.

All turbines are rated 2 MW, but a third party report predicts more production from the taller ones.

Said each turbine would cost between 3.5 and 4.5 million dollars.

Said they would be positioned in about the same locations as a prior proposal.

Said the foundations would be deeper.

Said the clearing around the bases and the size of the roads wouldn't change.

Said the noise difference is negligible and would be in compliance with the ordinance.

Said they hope to go forward with this in 09 or 2010.

John asked if the Planning Comission meeting would be a public hearing like the last one. The supers said most likely not.
Oh my gosh. When will it end?

The people decided their city should have a tower so immense that it would have its top in the heavens. The Tower of was built for the glory of man, with a motive of making a 'name' for the builders....

Im thinking I better brush up on foreign languages...lol.

For a country that's trillions upon trillions of dollars in debt...there seems to be no cap on spending money foolishly. :huh:
yertle

Post by yertle »

Rick wrote:Once again, I find myself in this thread due to infractions of our board etiquette. I am working my way back through the posts, and trimming out comments and posts that are irreverent, or malicious in nature.
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

In today's Altoona Mirror:

Supervisors send turbine proposal

By Kay Stephens, kstephens@altoonamirror.com POSTED: May 15, 2009

A proposal to build the area's tallest wind turbines, visible from downtown Altoona to the Buckhorn, has been forwarded to the Logan Township Planning Commission for comment.

Supervisors, who asked Thursday night if the taller-than-typical height would affect noise and visibility from the Horseshoe Curve, agreed that they want the planning commission to look at the latest proposal.

Gamesa Energy USA representatives asked the township to change its ordinance to permit construction of turbines with a 335-foot tower on the Chestnut Flats area. Under the current ordinance, a tower is allowed to be 270 feet.

Solicitor Larry Clapper said if supervisors want to change the ordinance, they will first need to hold a public hearing and get planning commission comments. Rather than going through that process, which involves some expense, Clapper recommended getting planning commission comments first.

The commission has a June 2 meeting scheduled at Juniata Gap Elementary School to hear concerns about a zoning change near Penn State Altoona, which would permit additional construction of student housing. Another meeting to consider the taller wind turbines will need to be designated, said township Director of Development Cassandra Schmick.

Gamesa representative Jon Baker told supervisors that his company proposed taller turbines as way to keep the proposed wind development inside the wind zone. The latest version shows construction of 18 wind turbines with 335 foot towers and one turbine with a 270-foot tower.

Supervisor Jim Patterson asked if taller turbines generate more noise.

"The net effect on the sound is negligible," Baker said.

Supervisor Joe Metzgar asked about the visibility, especially from the Horseshoe Curve National Historic Site.

Baker said the positions aren't changing so they won't be visible from the Curve. They will be visible from downtown Altoona, Mill Run Road, Old Mill Run Road and along Route 36.

Patterson and Metzgar also asked Baker why the wind farm plans keep changing.

"We're not trying to keep changing our minds," Baker said. "We're trying to change based on what you guys want."

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=742

3 months ago Gamesa said that they were unable to construct a windplant in the current Logan Township windplant zone. That's why Gamesa wanted the zone enlarged. The Logan Township Supervisors refused to enlarge that zone. Now Gamesa says that they can build a windplant in that zone. :jester:
Last edited by Ice Man on Fri May 15, 2009 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DonkeyHoagie
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

You just made the list, Yertle. :flag:
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
sammie

Post by sammie »

http://www.windaction.org/news/21208

Windber concerned about wind project

May 13, 2009 by Dan DiPaolo in The Daily American

WINDBER - In 2007, Gamesa Energy USA agreed to allow the Windber Area Authority to oversee the impact the proposed 30-turbine Shaffer Mountain Wind Farm would have on the watershed. As part of the deal, the authority imposed certain conditions on the development.

Now, as the state Department of Environmental Protection is considering Gamesa's permit for the wind project, the authority wants to make sure the state is taking those conditions into account. On Wednesday, the board voted to send the DEP a copy of the conditions.

"They can only develop it with our qualified consent," said Solicitor James Cascio during the monthly meeting on Wednesday.

Authority member Walter Drzal suggested issuing the letter because of concerns that Gamesa's proposal includes the use of herbicides and blasting. The authority forbid both practices in a consent letter that was issued when the project went into final permitting.

The authority does not, however, have the ability to prohibit the project outright. Under a 1989 land use agreement with primary landowner Berwind Natural Resources Corp. of Philadelphia, the authority only has the right to approve with written conditions the terms of any action that would impact the watershed.

The authority's main concern has been the proximity of several turbines to authority wells and the overall impact of the development on the watershed.

The letter was issued as the project has come under increasing fire in the last two years from landowners, ecologists and environmental groups.

Their concerns include impacts on the watershed, several endangered or protected species and state-designated exceptional value waterways.

As recently as April, company officials maintained the project would go forward and would not have a significant environmental impact.

"We believe wholeheartedly in the project," said Dan Noble, Gamesa's head of North American development at the time. "This (permitting) is a process that any development goes through."

"We have to do it thoroughly. This is something that is going to be a benefit to the community," he said.

The company has also maintained that it will adhere to the authority's conditions.

The DEP rejected the company's stormwater management plan on technical and environmental grounds for the third time on March 17.

No mention of blasting was mentioned in the department's latest letter to the company, but a review of the most-recently submitted permit application has not been completed by an outside party.

However, the DEP deficiency letter did mention herbicidal use during a section that dealt with a proposed power transmission corridor.

If the company were planning to use herbicides within the authority's designated watershed area, it would be in direct violation of the land-use agreement.

Gamesa is now in the process of clarifying and resubmitting the plan within a 60-day period following the latest request for clarification.

That period ends on May 16.

The DEP will use the plan to decide whether to issue Gamesa a national pollutant discharge elimination system permit.

Without the permit, the project will not be able to move forward.

While the permit is nominally about water management, the DEP uses the process to evaluate environmental impacts on plants, animals and nearby water sources.

Web link: http://www.ourtownonline.biz/articles/2009/05/13/s...
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Hi folks,

The G87 turbine that's burning in eastern PA is made by Gamesa and is often used in Iberdrola projects.
Gamesa states, on their webpage, that an “extended warranty of 10 years” is available upon request. I wonder if Iberdrola got the warranty?

Laura

http://www.republicanherald.com/article ... 40_loc.txt>

Friday, May 15, 2009

wind turbine fire draws crews

BY STEPHEN J. PYTAK
AND FRANK ANDRUSCAVAGE
STAFF WRITERS

spytak@republicanherald.com
fandruscavage@
republicanherald.com

Published: Friday, May 15, 2009 4:13 AM EDT

BOWMANS — Firefighters responded to a report of a wind turbine fire at the first commercial-size wind farm in Schuylkill County, Locust Ridge I in Mahanoy Township, Thursday afternoon, according to reports from the Schuylkill County Communications Center.

Paul Copleman, spokesman for Iberdrola Renewables, Wayne, which owns the wind farm, would not offer any details when contacted at 2:50 p.m. Thursday.

“We have been notified of an event at the Locust Ridge I Wind Farm. We are investigating the situation. And we’ll not be making any further comment until verified information becomes available. In the meantime, we’re focusing our efforts on the safety of our employees,” Copleman said.

In service since March 2007, this G87 turbine is one of the original 13 turbines that are part of Locust Ridge I. These turbines produce enough electricity to power 6,500 to 8,000 homes, Joseph B. Green, Weston Place, the wind farm project manager, said previously.

Manufactured by Gamesa Corp. in Pamplona, Spain, Turbine 12 is made up of a tower measuring 256 feet and three blades each 135 feet long. With blades fully extended, it stands 407 feet high, Green said.

Green was on site Thursday, but referred all questions to Copleman
Something to say
MVP Member

I spent the entire morning reading thru all 172 pages of this thread. This certainly had to be one of the most discussed issues EVER in Tyrone. And I just don't know how the people's wishes could be so completely ignored. I am still appalled by the final result. I took the liberty of just pulling out a select few points...which I know I'll ponder for years to come.

Bill Latchford wrote:Can someone point me to a web site or another resource I can use to research the migratory path over Ice Mountain? Everything I have seen out here so far shows nothing about a major path that is in line with the proposed wind plant. If there is none that is major then could that stop being used in opposition to the wind plant? If we want to be fair to all whom are searching for information about this particular wind plant, then we should provide information that is pertinent to just this wind plant. Just food for thought that all whom no nothing and would like to be informed could benefit from. Thanks in advance for your help. :D

PROVIDED.

sandstone wrote:Image

We expect that Ice Mountain, a unique Blair County Natural Heritage Area of exceptional conservation value, will be managed to the highest ecological standard, and will be protected from further degradation. It is not possible to respect Ice Mountain's status as a County Natural Heritage Area and then vote "yes" to convert it into an industrial windplant. SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN asks that each Tyrone Borough Council member acknowledge Ice Mountain's status as being unique and of exceptional convervation value and therefore vote "no" to the industrial windplant proposal.

Stan Kotala, M.D.
Spokesman
SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN (a coalition of the 1,500 unaffiliated signatories of the petition opposing the industrial windplant on Ice Mountain, the Little Juniata River Association, Juniata Valley Audubon, and the Sinking Valley Watershed Association)
RD 4
Tyrone, PA

1500 Signatures on a petition. Signs in yards. Forums. Letters written. 172 pages of discussion in TyronePA e-cafe.....99% of posts against the development on Ice Mountain.

INPUT PROVIDED.

sandstone wrote:
150thBucktailCo.I wrote:By the way, today (Monday, November 5, 2007) on the back page of the "A" section of the Altoona Mirror (page A8) is an article about the Snyder Township Board of Supervisors race.

Says here that:

"Another issue on which (Republican Robert) Nelson and (Incumbent Supervisor Bernie) Sherwood disagree is allowing industrial windmills. Although Tyrone Borough owns the land where Gamesa wants to erect more than a dozen turbines, the township still can reap financial benefit through its unfinished wind turbine ordinance. Nelson opposes building turbines, while Sherwin supports the idea and the added revenue it would bring."

Robert Nelson (R) opposes windfarm on Ice Mountain, wins Snyder Township supervisor race by a landslide (292-84)!!
PROMISES.
ELECTED.

Ice Man wrote:SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN thanks Snyder Township Supervisor James Burket for the respect he has shown for Blair County's natural heritage and for the people of the township. As supervisor Burket noted at yesterday evening's meeting, the vast majority of the people in the township are opposed to the windplant. Supervisor Burket stated the he received many calls and emails from Snyder Township residents opposed to the windplant, but only one from a person in favor of the windplant. Throughout yesterday evening's meeting, on this and on other issues, Snyder Township supervisor James Burket showed the utmost respect for his consituents. SAVE ICE MOUNTAIN salutes Snyder Township supervisor James Burket! :flag:

Unfortunately, he was outvoted by sups Nelson and Diehl. Anyone present at the meeting (and at previous meetings) knows that sup Diehl is arrogant and heavy-handed. He insulted Dr. Stan Kotala after Dr. Kotala's statement by shouting that Dr. Kotala doesn't know where Ice Mountain is. He threatened to "clear the room" after other residents presented independent data showing that Ice Mt is not an appropriate site for an industrial windplant, and he insulted independent scientists by claiming that he knows Ice Mountain better than anyone. He totally dismissed the Blair County Natural Heritage Inventory which lists Ice Mt as the ONLY site in western Blair County that earned the distinction of "COUNTY NATURAL HERITAGE AREA OF EXCEPTIONAL CONSERVATION VALUE."

Sup Charles Diehl is a disgrace to his office. His shameful behavior at township meetings speaks for itself.

Sup Robert Nelson, who was elected on a platform of opposing the windplant, changed his mind, saying that he did it "for the children." He gave no further explanation.

PROMISES BROKEN. CONSTITUENTS IGNORED.

One lone voice wrote:Pennsylvania State Constitution, Article I, Section 27:
“The people have a right to clean air, pure water, and to the preservation of the natural, scenic, historic and esthetic values of the environment. Pennsylvania’s public natural resources are the common property of all the people, including generations yet to come. As trustee of these resources, the Commonwealth shall conserve and maintain them for the benefit of all the people.”

Obviously Sups Nelson and Diehl consider themselves to know better than the writers of our State Constitution on what should be valued by the people and all the future generations. $48 thousand a year is all they figure the Constitutional rights of their grandchildren to be worth. Doesn't seem like enough, does it?

Special thanks to Sup. Burket for actually trying to do his job as a representative of the people.

Supervisor Burket, Councilman Hanzir

A FEW GOOD MEN.

Ice Moutain and all who appreciate its value.....SCREWED
Ice Man
MVP Member

Post by Ice Man »

Excellent synopsis, SomethingToSay!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really worth your time to read.

Referenced is a radio show interview with US Congressman Eric Massa of New York (Corning/Prattsburgh area). He is speaking out on the noise issue, effect on wildlife and hunting, and the low capacity of WTs. If you can, please send this article to your township supervisors, and State and Federal officials representing your area.

Laura

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/05/ ... omplaints/

May 15, 2009
New York
U.S. Congressman overwhelmed by wind turbine noise complaints

Transcript of AM 1480 WLEA (Hornell, NY) interview with U. S. Congressman Eric Massa (D, NY) on April 25, 2009, talking about the “virtual flood of constituents,” and even non-constituents, complaining about wind turbine noise.

Brian: Hi, and welcome to Connections with Brian O’Neil, on the phone today with Congressman Eric Massa. Congressman, good morning.

Congressman Massa: Good morning, and thank you for having me with you today.

Brian: Well, it’s always great to be on the line with you Eric.

Congressman Massa: How can I help?

Brian: Well, Congressman, one of the big stories lately on AM 1480 WLEA and, of course, the Corning Leader is what’s been going on in Prattsburgh. On Friday, you met with two Prattsburgh town board members Steve Kula and Chuck Schick. Now, having attended the last few Prattsburgh meetings myself, I’m guessing your meeting had something to do with the controversy over wind energy in Prattsburgh?

Congressman Massa: Well ,yes, and as some listeners may remember and certainly you might remember, for almost three years of my candidacy, and certainly since I have become an incumbent, I have been very focused on the challenges this area faces as foreign-owned industrial wind turbine corporations attempt to build thousands of these 450 foot tall towers on virtually every hill in western New York State, despite the fact that the United States Meteorological Service has stated very clearly we simply don’t have the wind in this area of the world to economically justify this. We have seen a consistent effort by these foreign companies to subvert local governments who are ill prepared to deal with these million-dollar industrial systems, to back out of commitments they’ve made through the industrial development agencies, not to pay their contributions to the local schools that they promised, not to create new jobs. So, this is, unfortunately, what we’ve been talking about, and I wish I was wrong, but everything I said for the last three years has come true. But nowhere is that more apparent than now, with the fact that these wind turbines generate so much noise that the very homes on the properties that leased agreements to the wind turbines now can’t be occupied.

Now I’m not making this up. I have been in my office with a virtual flood of constituents who have come to me, both on and off properties that were leased to the wind companies, saying that they can’t live in the houses anymore, yet they can’t sell them, and in fact the town supervisor of Cohocton, a man that would not even shake my hand at a parade because he was so upset that I dared challenge this issue, has written a letter to the very company that he invited into his community, saying – we can’t have these wind turbines here because they’re too noisy. Well, you know, three years too late, and I am meeting with the folks in Prattsburgh so that they get – first off, they requested to meet with me, because they’re asking for help, to make sure that what was rammed down Cohocton does not get rammed down Prattsburgh. And it’s very disconcerting that everyone has such a wonderful opinion of these 450 foot towers that frankly don’t even produce electricity, and I don’t say that comically, I say that realistically. It’s a huge local issue.

Brian: Now, Congressman, are more wind farmers besides Hal Graham stepping forward to you and telling you that the wind turbines are driving them nuts?

Congressman Massa: Its – I have been, I would say, every weekend a different family in the office, talking with me.

Brian: Wow. And they’re wind farmers, some of them?

Congressman Massa: Yes. In fact one is the, one owns a home and he agreed to have a lease on his property and now he is saying – I have to move out of my property. It’s quite amazing. Not to mention the fact that as we talked about, hunters are now coming up and telling me that there’s no wildlife anywhere within distance, and I’m talking three to four miles, of any of these wind turbines because these wind turbines emit low frequency vibrations that drive the deer away. So if some foreign companies have their way you’ll never be able to hunt in the southern tier again because we won’t have any deer. And that’s, again, I know that sounds like an exaggeration.

Brian: Right.

Congressman Massa: But it’s not an exaggeration. Anybody who can tell you about animals in the wild will tell you they hear frequencies that humans cannot. And the low frequency vibrations from these industrial wind turbines drive the deer away. It’ll be the end of hunting for us.

Brian: Now, Congressmen Massa, back to what you said just a moment ago – you said these things don’t generate electricity at all?

Congressman Massa: Bingo. So, if the winds not blowing, they’re not generating. But if the wind is blowing, the electricity they’re generating, even now, is not going to come to New York it’s being shipped to other states like Massachusetts. And even now, we have a very limited capability technologically with the Independent System Operator, that’s the technical name of the individuals that oversee the incorporation of all electrical production into our New York Grid, a very limited ability to actually absorb the very unpredictable and highly variable nature of the electricity driven by wind turbines. Period.

Brian: Congressman Massa, when you met with those Prattsburgh officials on Friday afternoon, or Friday morning I think it was, what sort of impression did you walk away with when you left the meeting with those two Prattsburgh board members on Friday.

Congressman Massa: Well, first off, that they were very serious and concerned, that they were local officials of what I call gravitas. In other words, they’ve thought this through, they’ve asked the tough questions, they’ve asked for help from every, anyone and they told me that I was the only local, state or federal official that would sit down and talk to them.

Brian: I can believe that.

Congressman Massa: Now, this is an issue that I have been dealing with for years because I refuse to take the side of these very powerful foreign companies who are willing to do all kinds of things to get me to spout the party line for them. By the way, speaking of party lines, just about everybody that’s come up to me and asked me for this help is not of the same political party I am, because this, like every other issue that I deal with, cuts across party lines. This is about the future of this area. One of the last things we have, after everything else has been taken from us, is our environment, and now they want to take that too, and I will not rush willy-nilly down a road, a road by the way that has been torn up by the heavy tractors transporting these windmills and then we have to pay to repave them, I won’t go down that road without a fight, and that’s what I am trying to make happen.

Brian: We’re talking with Congressman Eric Massa on Connections here on AM 1480 WLEA. Congressman Massa, it seems to me that the two big issues right now in regards to wind energy are the problems with noise and the problem with corruption, with politicians having conflicts of interest. Some of these politicians out there, it seems like they’re just being out and out agents for wind companies in more than one way. One way would be bullying around anyone at these meetings who asks any, who questions at all, anything at all that the wind company wants. Another way would be for them to vote just down the line in every way that the wind company wants them to. As a matter of fact, at the last Prattsburgh meeting I attended, a man stepped forward and complained that one of the Prattsburgh Town Board members had given his name to a wind company person and this wind company person showed up at this Prattsburgh man’s house. And the Prattsburgh man was furious that his address and name had been given out to a wind company official by a Prattsburgh Town Board member for purposes of solicitation. Congressman, what’s going on here?

Congressman Massa: I think it’s a combination of opportunism and short- sightedness. I have been to these meetings. I have seen the bullying. You can’t – I am not easy to bully.

Congressman Massa: Many people will tell me they don’t like me because I’m too outspoken.

Brian: And you’re fast on your feet, yeah, I’ve seen you in a debate.

Congressman Massa: But on the other hand, I think that the voices of the people that have no voice need to be represented. Now, if in a free and fair and open and informed decision a town decides they want to do this, then great, that’s a local issue. But I want it to be free, fair and informed and when the information actually gets out there, people say – well, we don’t want that. Nobody, including me, is against the clean production of wind energy where it makes economic and technical sense, at all. It doesn’t here. We are being taken advantage of because we ‘re being treated like a bunch of country bumpkins by these foreign folks from European capitals, and it’s got to stop.
Brian: Congressman, one person said to me recently that you seem to be way ahead of most of your political colleagues on this subject of wind energy because most leaders at the federal level that we’ve seen are just acting like, basically, public relations guys for wind companies. Do you think that someday that wind will be looked on in some areas like ours as a fad and a phase that just didn’t work out?

Congressman Massa: Yeah, but the problem is when they look at that, we’re going to have hundreds of these industrial wind turbines broken and rusting and spilling oil that will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to take down and return those forests to what they were so we can go back to enjoying and attracting people for what they come here for. That’s the problem. So we shouldn’t have to wait to realize that a mistake has been made. If we had wind greater than 33 percent, which means that more than a third of the time the wind blew strong enough to actually turn the blades and make electricity, we could have some hope of having a real contribution to help stop environmental degradation, and yes that’s global warming, and to make inexpensive electricity. But, none of that electricity is staying here and those turbines are not generating electricity, so you can look at this from many different levels. And it’s very sad. And then, of course, I get painted as an out of control you know, aggressive, guy. Well, I’m going to be very aggressive when it comes to fighting for our local interests, because, candidly, nobody else is.

Brian: Congressman, it seems that you have a lot of knowledge about laws regarding wind power. Do you know who would be held responsible if a neighbor of a wind project suffered something like property value loss or their house was vibrating and, you know, they’re living next door to a wind turbine that’s causing their house to shake or the noise is terrible at night. Do you know who’s responsible for that – the wind company, the IDA, the town? Do you know who has to take responsibility?

Congressman Massa: Well, the immediate supposition is that the source of the problem is culpable for the property degradation. That’s generally the rule, but the wind companies then seek protection by saying – well, the town boards and the local towns gave us permission to do that, it’s their problem. The town board says – yeah, but the IDA gave us permission to do this, so it’s their problem. Then all of a sudden, a single family has to go running around, all up and down trying to get someone to help them when they are given the run around. This is exactly what happened in Cohocton. When people went to the town board and complained and said – listen, you guys voted to put these things up here, it exceeds the noise limit. The town board said – well, don’t talk to us, talk to the wind company. They went to the wind company, the wind company said – not our problem, the town board issued us a permit. And this is how you end up going in that circular run around that drives people crazy and they shouldn’t have to. So I’ve said – come see me, it’s my job to help where I can help, and I’m going to do that.
TOM111378

Post by TOM111378 »

i seen what u guys but on here and do u know that last year it was but on the nov election and over half of tyrone was for them i am not saying u guy are wrong for not being for them but if u want new people in then u need 2 get ever one 2 vote and if the 55% who voted for the win mills come out then there will be no new people but in. my be a new mayor but that mite be it.
Something to say
MVP Member

Ice Man wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really worth your time to read.

Referenced is a radio show interview with US Congressman Eric Massa of New York (Corning/Prattsburgh area). He is speaking out on the noise issue, effect on wildlife and hunting, and the low capacity of WTs. If you can, please send this article to your township supervisors, and State and Federal officials representing your area.

Laura

http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/05/ ... omplaints/

May 15, 2009
New York
U.S. Congressman overwhelmed by wind turbine noise complaints

Transcript of AM 1480 WLEA (Hornell, NY) interview with U. S. Congressman Eric Massa (D, NY) on April 25, 2009, talking about the “virtual flood of constituents,” and even non-constituents, complaining about wind turbine noise.

Brian: Hi, and welcome to Connections with Brian O’Neil, on the phone today with Congressman Eric Massa. Congressman, good morning.

Congressman Massa: Good morning, and thank you for having me with you today.

Brian: Well, it’s always great to be on the line with you Eric.

Congressman Massa: How can I help?

Congressman Massa: Yes. In fact one is the, one owns a home and he agreed to have a lease on his property and now he is saying – I have to move out of my property. It’s quite amazing. Not to mention the fact that as we talked about, hunters are now coming up and telling me that there’s no wildlife anywhere within distance, and I’m talking three to four miles, of any of these wind turbines because these wind turbines emit low frequency vibrations that drive the deer away. So if some foreign companies have their way you’ll never be able to hunt in the southern tier again because we won’t have any deer. And that’s, again, I know that sounds like an exaggeration.

Congressman Massa: But it’s not an exaggeration. Anybody who can tell you about animals in the wild will tell you they hear frequencies that humans cannot. And the low frequency vibrations from these industrial wind turbines drive the deer away. It’ll be the end of hunting for us.

Priceless! I wonder if the know-it-alls ever considered they may have nothing left to hunt on Ice Mountain before it's all over?.......

Brian: We’re talking with Congressman Eric Massa on Connections here on AM 1480 WLEA. Congressman Massa, it seems to me that the two big issues right now in regards to wind energy are the problems with noise and the problem with corruption, with politicians having conflicts of interest. Some of these politicians out there, it seems like they’re just being out and out agents for wind companies in more than one way. One way would be bullying around anyone at these meetings who asks any, who questions at all, anything at all that the wind company wants. Another way would be for them to vote just down the line in every way that the wind company wants them to. As a matter of fact, at the last Prattsburgh meeting I attended, a man stepped forward and complained that one of the Prattsburgh Town Board members had given his name to a wind company person and this wind company person showed up at this Prattsburgh man’s house. And the Prattsburgh man was furious that his address and name had been given out to a wind company official by a Prattsburgh Town Board member for purposes of solicitation. Congressman, what’s going on here?

Yup, Yup....makes one wonder what kind of promises were made.....oh yeah......small amounts of $$$....fools. Bullying at meetings...sounds familiar! LOL....the wind companies are stalking people as well? .....lovely.

Congressman Massa: I think it’s a combination of opportunism and short- sightedness. I have been to these meetings. I have seen the bullying. You can’t – I am not easy to bully.

short-sightedness...hmmm...where have I heard that before. Oh yeah.....People opposed to the windplant on Ice Mountain were being called........short-sighted.

Congressman Massa: Many people will tell me they don’t like me because I’m too outspoken.

Brian: And you’re fast on your feet, yeah, I’ve seen you in a debate.

I don't mind people being outspoken at all....if they're speaking TRUTH! GO MASSA GO!

Congressman Massa: But on the other hand, I think that the voices of the people that have no voice need to be represented. Now, if in a free and fair and open and informed decision a town decides they want to do this, then great, that’s a local issue. But I want it to be free, fair and informed and when the information actually gets out there, people say – well, we don’t want that. Nobody, including me, is against the clean production of wind energy where it makes economic and technical sense, at all. It doesn’t here. We are being taken advantage of because we ‘re being treated like a bunch of country bumpkins by these foreign folks from European capitals, and it’s got to stop.

Brian: Congressman, one person said to me recently that you seem to be way ahead of most of your political colleagues on this subject of wind energy because most leaders at the federal level that we’ve seen are just acting like, basically, public relations guys for wind companies. Do you think that someday that wind will be looked on in some areas like ours as a fad and a phase that just didn’t work out?

Congressman Massa: Yeah, but the problem is when they look at that, we’re going to have hundreds of these industrial wind turbines broken and rusting and spilling oil that will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to take down and return those forests to what they were so we can go back to enjoying and attracting people for what they come here for. That’s the problem. So we shouldn’t have to wait to realize that a mistake has been made. If we had wind greater than 33 percent, which means that more than a third of the time the wind blew strong enough to actually turn the blades and make electricity, we could have some hope of having a real contribution to help stop environmental degradation, and yes that’s global warming, and to make inexpensive electricity. But, none of that electricity is staying here and those turbines are not generating electricity, so you can look at this from many different levels. And it’s very sad. And then, of course, I get painted as an out of control you know, aggressive, guy. Well, I’m going to be very aggressive when it comes to fighting for our local interests, because, candidly, nobody else is.

GO MASSA GO!

Brian: Congressman, it seems that you have a lot of knowledge about laws regarding wind power. Do you know who would be held responsible if a neighbor of a wind project suffered something like property value loss or their house was vibrating and, you know, they’re living next door to a wind turbine that’s causing their house to shake or the noise is terrible at night. Do you know who’s responsible for that – the wind company, the IDA, the town? Do you know who has to take responsibility?

Congressman Massa: Well, the immediate supposition is that the source of the problem is culpable for the property degradation. That’s generally the rule, but the wind companies then seek protection by saying – well, the town boards and the local towns gave us permission to do that, it’s their problem. The town board says – yeah, but the IDA gave us permission to do this, so it’s their problem. Then all of a sudden, a single family has to go running around, all up and down trying to get someone to help them when they are given the run around. This is exactly what happened in Cohocton. When people went to the town board and complained and said – listen, you guys voted to put these things up here, it exceeds the noise limit. The town board said – well, don’t talk to us, talk to the wind company. They went to the wind company, the wind company said – not our problem, the town board issued us a permit. And this is how you end up going in that circular run around that drives people crazy and they shouldn’t have to. So I’ve said – come see me, it’s my job to help where I can help, and I’m going to do that.

LOL....rest assured....If I'm still around I will have no problem at all telling people who was responsible for the desecration of Ice Mountain!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

What is so sad.... barring a miracle, we are stuck !! "They" ( the very few ) ignored all the facts and voted them in !! Somewhere along PA's ridgetops, long before the 30 year mark.... someone will have the umph to stop these things from going in just anywhere they choose to put them. There will be legislation and rules to follow. However, that hasn't happened yet.... and it is too late for us. No matter who tells you how terrible they think it is.... it's too late for those words from anyone around here now.... windmills will be on Ice Mountain.... it doesn't matter who is elected into office, or what their agenda is. The first time you see a bulldozer heading for the ridge top, keep in mind "they" (the very few) are responsible for all that happens next. Hopefully, there won't be any of those, we told you so's. It should be very interesting to see who gets rich around here, who is going to be spending the money, and for what.
One lone voice

Post by One lone voice »

Here's some food for thought...
31% of the electricity currently generated in PA is sold to neighboring states. If we produce that much excess electricity above what is needed for the citizens of PA, why don't we shut down the equivalent in coal-fired plants, and let the other states pick up the slack in their own states?
jumper56

Post by jumper56 »

Just have recently seen a very small windmill, Extreme Makeover, that was in the guys yard. Creating electricity for his own home. This idea seems much more cost effective and the end user is the owner. Much like solar panels on the roof or on your own property. These technologies are getting more and more effective and affordable everyday. Just don't understand falling for 'ousiders' coming in with a load of white wash and most people only hear the dollar sounds. Nothing is free and obviously the people who now must live and hunt near these things are finding that out, much too late.
sandstone
MVP Member

Post by sandstone »

My2Cents wrote:What is so sad.... barring a miracle, we are stuck !! .
Not true. Just look at http://www.shaffermountain.com. That's a project in Bedford/Somerset Counties. That project has been stalled for 3 years AFTER the landowner and AFTER the townships OKd it. It's stalled because of Gamesa's failure to address wildlife and water quality issues. DEP has refused to grant Gamesa an NPDES permit for that project : http://www.shaffermountain.com/depletter31709.pdf

My2Cents wrote:Somewhere along PA's ridgetops, long before the 30 year mark.... someone will have the umph to stop these things from going in just anywhere they choose to put them. .
Already done in Tyrone Township, Antis Township, Logan Township, and Frankstown Township. Those Blair County municipalities stopped proposed windplants. Snyder Township is the outlier.