TWO 6TH GRADE TEACHERS RETIRING WITHOUT BEING REPLACED!?!?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
SMOKEJUMPER
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

TWO 6TH GRADE TEACHERS RETIRING WITHOUT BEING REPLACED!?!?

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE ARE 2 TEACHERS RETIRING FROM THE 6TH GRADE AT THE END OF THIS SCHOOL YEAR AND THERE ARE NO INTENSIONS OF HIRING TWO NEW ONES. :x THIS WILL MAKE THE CLASS SIZES @ 28-30 STUDENTS PER CLASS!! CHILDREN WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES HAVE HAD ENOUGH PROBLEMS ADJUSTING TO BEING IN THE NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL AND SOME STILL HAVE NOT ADJUSTED. IT HAS BEEN A VERY LONG HARD STRESSFUL YEAR. THEY NEED A LOT OF ONE ON ONE INSTRUCTION AND WITH SUCH A LARGE AMOUNT OF STUDENTS IN ONE CLASSROOM, THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECEIVE IT. THEY WILL BE "LEFT BEHIND". IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THEY HAVE LEARNING PROBLEMS OR ARE A LITTLE SLOWER. THEY ARE STILL VERY SMART KIDS. MY KID IS IN 5TH GRADE WITH 1/2 LEARNING SUPPORT AND 1/2 REGULAR EDUCATION AND HE HAS MADE THE HONOR ROLL ALL YEAR. TWO TEACHERS RETIRE AND TWO TEACHERS MUST BE HIRED!!! COME ON DR.MILLER, WAKE UP!! THE KIDS CAN LEARN MUCH MORE AND DO BETTER FOR THE "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" IF THE CLASS SIZES ARE SMALLER SO THERE CAN BE MORE ONE ON ONE!! PLEASE FILL THESE TWO POSITIONS NOT ELIMINATE THEM!!!! :x
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY LIFE ,ITS TO SHORT AS IT IS.
BHartsock

Post by BHartsock »

And those are not the only positions being cut....

Quoted from a May 9th Daily Herald article... (follow this link to the whole article.... http://tyronepa.com/news/article.php?id=9518 )

"(TASD Superintendent) Miller stated that the school district is looking for equity for all programs. He also stated that several positions are also being eliminated, including two sixth grade teaching positions and a third grade teaching position. There is also the possibility of a high school science position being cut. Miller also referred to the auto mechanics and electronics vocational programs that were eliminated in recent years. He said that these programs were completely eliminated, and the school district does not plan to completely eliminate the music program. Dr. Miller also addressed those in attendance concerning the lower enrollment in each grade level in the school district. He said that with lower enrollment, there aren’t as many students to participate in all programs, not just the art and music programs."

This is a very serious issue.... As I said before in the other forum.... teacher negotiations are here and the district seems to be trying to cut corners.....

Are the needs of the students coming first or the needs of the business office?

I would like to quote the Tyrone Area School District's website (follow this link to view the actual page... http://tyrone.k12.pa.us/schools/hs/schoolsh.shtm )

This is the "Welcome" Statement to the district....

"Perhaps the best way to characterize Tyrone Area High School is through the voices of our students. Tyrone Superintendent Dr. William Miller conducts extensive interviews of a cross section of seniors before graduation exercises each year. TAHS teachers are consistently commended by their students. Examples of student comments about their high school teachers include:

* “He will always help to guide you in the right direction or just offer a bit of help with any problem you may have.”
* “She was nice and taught me in a manner that I could easily understand.”
* “She treats me like an adult and creates new challenges for me in her class.”
* “He is the nicest teacher I’ve ever met. He knows how to teach and get work done efficiently. I really enjoy the subjects he taught me too.”
* “He makes you work really hard and the course is challenging.”

In response to caring, individualized relationships with their teachers, our students strive to achieve academic excellence. Students demonstrate seriousness of purpose as they progress through an aligned, standards-based curriculum. We promote individuality, personal achievement, and community service for each member of our school community.

Tyrone Area High School has been selected as a “Project 720” school in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The purpose of the project is to continue to build rigor and relevance in our curriculum while sustaining positive relationships in our school community. We aim to prepare all students for college, technical school, or high tech jobs. Presently, Tyrone Area High School offers college courses for high school juniors and seniors through agreements with The Pennsylvania State University, St. Francis University, and Mount Aloysius College.

A wide range of activities are available to TAHS students. These activities include the fine and performing arts, athletics, as well as student activity groups that encourage scholarship, leadership, and service. With these opportunities, we encourage the development of well-rounded young men and women who will make positive contributions to their school and community."

Thank You!

Bill Hartsock (Jr.)
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

It certainly took quite a few years to realize or voice opinions about the districts superintendent. He has been in that position for a long time (much too long!!!) has made a fortune, (is his wife still employed by TASD?). Tyrone wake up.....get some young folks in these positions, people who are genuinely concerned about your children and community.

I have not lived in Tyrone for years but all of the old fuddy dutties that are still running your school system that obviously don't have much interest in the kids is ridiculous. :x Come on Tyrone, stick together, don't let these people cut programs, teaching positions, etc. Maybe the superintendents annual salary should be cut in half, I'm sure that is probably enough to save at least two teaching positions.

Good Luck!! don't give up. :thumb:
Harlow
MVP Member

Post by Harlow »

Mrs. Miller is not employed by the school district, but when I was in Elementary School, I thought she was the most valueable employee in the school district.

Between Dr. Miller, Joanne Lang, Cathy Peachy and the others in the Admin wing of the elementary school, there is close to $1 million in salary annually.

Makes you think doesn't it.
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Yes it does make you think...the enrollment is under 700 students in grades 9-12, what is the enrollment for the elementary and middle school? It amazes me that the superintendent and others are making so much in such a small community. I work in a large district with 3 high schools, 3 middle schools, 14 elementary schools, 2 pre-k centers, 1 special education center, an alternative school, an adult learning center & a career & technology center. We house approximately 17,000 students.
Now you may think that is a large city, but we are actually the smaller of the surrounding cities. I think I need to come to Pennsylvania and get a job with TASD...looks like that is where the money is.

I just really hope the residents stand up for what is best for the kids and fight for what they want....If you are employed by the school system we are there for one purpose...for the kids to get the best education and go on to a university. Hopefully one will come back to Tyrone and be the superintendent. Again...good luck! Save the music department and teaching positions!! Cut the annual salaries of the employees sitting in the air conditioned offices making the big bucks. Put them in a classroom...bring them back to reality. :lol:
Butterball

Post by Butterball »

Don't forget that Tyrone has also taken on there own Alternative Education program this year to help save some money!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who gives me strenth
Vidalia

Post by Vidalia »

A friend of mine told me that the Administration is making an effort to address parent concerns.

She said that the district is prepared to offer home schooling material and
support to all parents who are dissatisfied with their childs education. I think the thought is
that if parents think they can do a better job, the district is more than willing to accommodate them.

They're also working on a plan that would reinstitute neighborhood elementary schools.
This would allow them to eliminate multiple bus routes and save on fuel costs.

Has anyone else heard this?

I've often thought about home schooling my children.
zapatista

Post by zapatista »

Vidalia wrote:
They're also working on a plan that would reinstitute neighborhood elementary schools.
I heard this to.
In fact it appears the school districts plan is already well underway.

I managed to find a recent picture of one of it's new prototype schools.

MediumGreek

Post by MediumGreek »

zapatista wrote:
Vidalia wrote:
I heard this to.
In fact it appears the school districts plan is already well underway.

I managed to find a recent picture of one of it's new prototype schools.
Later, due to budgetary constraints and high administrative overhead, this elementary school, the gem of the Tyrone School District's neighborhood schools, became a half-room school house.
The other half was rented out to the paper mill to produce the sulfuric acid used in the pulp-making process. On weekends, it was a brothel.
The children were also rented out as bottle washers in an early version of the Vo-tech program, called slavery.
All musical programs, except for call-and-response field singing, were cancelled.
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

MediumGreek wrote:...On weekends, it was a brothel...
Yea - but if the music programs are cut, who will train the piano player? :stick: :roll:
DonkeyHoagie

Post by DonkeyHoagie »

'twould be twice shamed: a brothel without piano and an organ incompetently played.
Jerry, I know myself. And if I'm on the streets, and it starts to go down, I don't back off, until it's finished.
http://www.dotpenn.com
SMOKEJUMPER

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

I heard that the music department is safe from any cuts for this year. :bluebounce:

Any word on the teachers for sixth grade? :banghead: Are they still not replacing the two that are retiring? :x It stinks if they don't at least hire one new teacher. :guns: They can afford it and it would deeply benefit the kids. :flag:
mysteryman

Post by mysteryman »

I believe that it is a total shame that two teachers are retiring and no one is going to be able to replace them. That is extremely unfair to the kids because not only will it cram them into classrooms, it may even stunt their educational growth. studies have found that many students perform at a much superior level if they part of a small student to teacher ratio. If the budget is an issue then i believe there are much better things that the school board can get rid of. These grades are the foundation of their education for the rest of their high school years. by cramming kids into classrooms with up to 40-50 kids then the individual student is taken out of the equasion. At their developmental level the students need as much help as they can get. I believe that we should rid ourselves of Mr. Miller. He is never interested in the needs of students, only in himself. I would how much dough we could hack off of his overpaid salary![/b]
Beck

Post by Beck »

Vidalia wrote: She said that the district is prepared to offer home schooling material and
support to all parents who are dissatisfied with their childs education. I think the thought is
that if parents think they can do a better job, the district is more than willing to accommodate them.
I homeschooled my son in 97-98 and 98-99. School districts in Pennsylvania are required to supply parents with books and lesson plans. Its very easy to set up your homeschooling and when you follow the schools curriculum it makes it easier for the student to go back to school if they so desire.
SMOKEJUMPER

Post by SMOKEJUMPER »

A child with special needs weather it be learning support or gifted may not be so easy to home school. Exspecially if the parents both work. It's hard enough trying to get an Autistic child to sit for 10 minutes to do home work at home then alone try and make his home into a school as well. :banghead: For some, home schooling may work. For me, it wouldn't. The school district just needs to think of the students for once instead of their pockets$$$$$. :twisted: