Food being served at TAHS!!!

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
dolphinocn
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by dolphinocn »

Has anyone nothing to say about the article that was posted in the paper about the TAHS cafeteria serving nasty beef? It is rumor that Dr. Miller had a meeting with the staff telling them they were NOT resigning contract with the company due to the food standards and was unsure what the next step was going to be. Then hrs after that meeting with his cafe staff , he goes and signs another year contract with this company!!!! Why do you ask, because they dropped their price from like $45000 to like 16,000. So what I am getting from this is, its about the all mighty dollar being saved, not the health of our children. We need to be thinking of our kids health, not our pockets. Just curious what other opinions are on this matter???
scoutmom

Post by scoutmom »

I did not see the article but I do know the food is terrible!! I needed a calorie count of the foods served in the cafeteria this year. Due to my son being obese, his doctor put him on a strict diet. I didn't get the calorie count I got a fat count list and the so called food they serve our kids was disgusting!! Nothing but junk!! They'd be better off going to Subway or Sheetz everyday. I made my kids pack so I know they are having something healthy.

It's always about the mighty dollar when it comes to Dr Miller. Why do you think we are not replacing the 6th grade teachers who are retiring? I think it's time for him to say good bye!! :stick:
stop and take time to smell the flowers
dolphinocn

Post by dolphinocn »

Scoutmom here is the article that everyone should be concerned with. this was in the altoona mirror!

TYRONE — The Pittsburgh-based company that provides meals to students in the Tyrone Area School District was asked to test meat served last week at the elementary school.

Nutrition Inc., based in West Newton, holds a multi-year contract with the district to run its cafeterias, and Monday that contract came close to going back out to bid due to financial and quality issues.

“There are some issues with some of the beef,” Superintendent William Miller said after the meeting.

Board Member Tom Crawford asked Kim Hunter, Nutrition Inc.’s onsite food service manager, whether or not the beef was tested.

Hunter said samples of everything served by the cafeterias is kept for at least three days — usually from Monday to Monday. She said the beef from May 30 had not been tested.

Crawford asked for the beef to be tested.

After the meeting, Crawford said that he asked for the test because of complaints, but declined to go into detail.

Miller said the beef looked freezer burned.

“It wasn’t the quality that should be served,” Miller said.

Board members and Miller question Nutrition Inc.’s increased use of federal surplus items, pointing to a possible source of the questionable meat.

“We don’t choose what the federal government sends us,” company representative Bob Guisewite said, adding that the company tries to weed out anything that isn’t appropriate. “We try to use as many of the commodities as we can.”

Board member Brian Bressler said he was more concerned about the nutrition of the students than saving money, and said that the complaint was received anonymously.

“When employees are being told not to say anything to us and fear retribution, it bothers me,” Bressler said.

Board Member Ray Detwiler said he was not satisfied with the company and suggested the contract be put out to bid.

The problems came to light after company representatives addressed the board, apparently reversing an earlier stance involving how much money they had promised the district would receive in profits.

The contract with Nutrition Inc. offered the district “projected guarantees” of $60,000 for this year and $45,000 in 2007-08.

Miller said in recent meetings with Nutrition Inc., the district was told it only would be getting $18,000 or $19,000.

Guisewite said the original numbers were the result of “the heat of the battle,” his allusion to the competition with another firm for the cafeteria contract.

Guisewite said Tuesday the company would honor the earlier agreement.

Miller said there were issues with Nutrition Inc. that still concerned the district, but recommended the contract not be put out to bid after the company reversed its stance on the money issue.

Nutrition Inc. has requested that the district raise some a la carte prices on items such as individual cartons of milk.

Guisewite said that next year the district’s 30 cent milk carton price will match what it pays to purchase it. He also suggested the district raise its lunch prices.

Mirror Staff Writer Greg Bock is at 946-7446.
submarinerswife

Post by submarinerswife »

It's always about the almighty buck!!!

Why did the school give it to a contracter instead of keeping in the school district?

I'm a manager of a elementary cafeteria. Worked for school cafeteria for 8 years now. I think that is crazy that he resigned a contract with them.

A way to handle that situation is get everyone to pack their lunches. Don't give them your business. It won't take long before they leave because they can't afford to pay workers and food bills.

I worked for Chartwells for 5 of those years. I never heard of any complaints when this company was running the cafeteria.

http://www.chartwells-usa.com/
BeachBiker
MVP Member

Post by BeachBiker »

submarinerswife wrote:...A way to handle that situation is get everyone to pack their lunches....
I think they should all pack hoagies - purchased 50/50 from the 2 rival hoagie places - and solve TWO Tyrone problems at the same time. :roll: :stick: :devil:
PUP

Post by PUP »

DR.MILLER SHOULD OF BEEN KICKED OUT OF THERE ALONG TIME AGO WHEN HE STARTED RUNNING THE SCHOOL'S LIKE HE OWNED ALL OF THEM.WHY PAY SCHOOL TAX,PAY MILLER TAX.ONE DAY THE NEW GENERATION WILL DUMP HIM.I'M GLAD MY KID'S ARE OUT OF THERE AND CHOSE A DIFFERENT SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR OUR GRAND CHILDREN TO ATTEND. :bluebounce:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Pup, I think you have a point to make, but running the school like it was his personal business sounds like a good thing. It's when it is run like a Government that you pay 10X the price for inventory and supplies.

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Miller does anything malicious and his intent is to balance fiscal with providing for the students. He has a job that goes unappreciated which places him in a difficult position. So many talk here about how such a terrible job he and the board does, so I challenge you Pup and others to run for school board at the next elections and put your money where you mouth is.
PUP

Food being served at TAHS!!!"

Post by PUP »

banksy,Location: North Ridgeville, OH ...
When did the tax I pay for my school district move to OH.,Gees nobody told me about the move.I'm so sorry,next time,my school tax get's sent to bankys in care of Miller,okay.How on earth did I miss that? :bluebounce:I am a Tyrone Grad of 1975..Husband a grad of 72........Its been this way for a long time with this school!!!!!!Theres alot that you wouldn't belive when it comes to that and legally,I can't say,private info,sorry.
Think before you speak to me about this district. :D :bluebounce:
PUP

Food being served at TAHS!

Post by PUP »

Banksy...Whats this tell you (((Blues Clues)))??I posted nothing that I have not lived threw and if you don't like my post,don't read it.I will not speak what I fill will hurt anyone,but I will speak my mind when it comes to living here and what I see.Stop being so rude.I'm in charge of your fan club back here in Tyrone,lol. :bluebounce:

Banksy,
It seems to me you seem to post alot. And you don't even live here anymore. I was just trying to give my 2 cents too.
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seriously think that Banksy was a school monitor back in the day.. He seems to give everyone his two cents, .. but hey we gotta love him... after all we expect him to be as respectful to us... I do think that if we want people to continue posting we need to let them speak their minds without being so critical, but then again you can't change an old dog right Bansky??
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I think you sat in the back of the class during English.
PUP

"Food being served at TAHS!!!"

Post by PUP »

YOU ARE VERY RUDE TO PEOPLE :devil:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

As are you to those your post about. You've taken it personal on them. You also have the right to ignore me as you suggested I do with you.
dolphinocn

Food being served at TAHS

Post by dolphinocn »

well i see this topic is wayyyyyyyyyy off base now! I only posted on this subject to get people's opinions on the food in the cafe. Not to bash Mr. Miller. I am concerned with the health of the kids and what they are eating and what is being offered for them to eat, NOT the politic B.S. within the school district.......but anyways..............
Poo

Post by Poo »

I have been VERy concerned about the food that is served my daughter in the cafeteria. I know it must be hard, though, for the school to find decent food that the kids will eat that is not horribly expensive either. However, I am really against the junky type of food that is available to kids. Sometimes I think, how is this better than Burger King?! And the problem is, I dont really know what to do about it or if there is anything you can do. I've already signed petitions on this subject in the past, but not much has come out of that. :eek:
"Forgive your enemies; it messes with their heads."
Beck

Post by Beck »

when I was in school, which I know was "back in the day", the cafeteria food was good. The lunch line was always the longest when we had Ham Green Beans and potatoes with good ole sticky buns! They changed the menu's because they said kids won't eat that kind of stuff...?? We had lasagna and spaghetti... I do have to say the only thing we wouldn't touch was the green tinted hot dogs, but hey Hot dogs aren't good for you so that was why!!