Tyrone Hospital - The real bankruptcy story

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
UpTownGirl

Tyrone Hospital - The real bankruptcy story

Post by UpTownGirl »

Question - Why were the employees not given their annual cost of living raise but the Adminstrator given a merit raise for his "fine job at driving the hospital into bankruptcy"?
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Nobody on this board will know or have any facts why.
tyroid

Post by tyroid »

I suspect that it's part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

I think you've got to ask yourself, How'd he become the Adminstrator?

Well, I'll tell you.

By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

We're living in a dictatorship: a self-perpetuating autocracy.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

Another question? Why are the citizens of Tyrone not more interested in the problems that are going on at that hospital? The old ostrich theory I suppose - just keep my head in the sand and it will all go away. Unfortunately are you prepared to travel to Altoona for your care routinely? Do you want to sit in the Altoona ER for 6 or more hours waiting to be seen for chest pain? It is so amusing - people are up in arms about the "great hoagie wars" but no one gives a rats patooty about the hospital.
bandito

Post by bandito »

Rick wrote:...Also, hijacking other threads by discussing the topic will not be tolerated and may result in account suspension.
Looks to me like UpTownGirl is testing your new rule.

I for one don't appreciate her hijacking this thread to talk about hoagies again.

:stick:

Please suspend her account immediately.
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

You missed the point. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK HOAGIES EITHER. But I was using this comparison to make a point...that the community is more concerned over some trivial topic than they are about saving their hospital. I am sure once it closes there will be many threads on here about "Why could this happen?"
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

How knowledgeable is the Board of the hospital about what is really going on with management? For example, there have been meetings requested by the employees and corporate members of the hospital with the board - and the majority of the board does not show up? What does that tell you?
caddis

Post by caddis »

Uptown, I think that some of the town people have turned a blind eye to the hospital because of the doctors that work the emergency room. People talk and when one of these doctors does something stupid the whole town knows about it. Tyrone Hospital used to be a great place but I have heard the expression many times " I wouldn't take my dog to that hospital". This is not my opinion but what I have heard throughout the community. I wish it would change because we need a good hospital in Tyrone.
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

Thanks for your input Caddis.

Every hospital has it's horror stories - it is just unfortunate that Tyrone is a small town and "gossip" gets around fast. The town has to decide though - if they want the hospital then they need to get involved to save it. If they don't care about seeking healthcare in Altoona and State College then sit back and do nothing. However, as with Philipsburg hospital, once it is gone it will be gone forever. In addition, if the hospital closes, chances are the physicians in the Tyrone area will leave as well. The majority of the elderly in Tyrone will be forced to travel 20+ miles for healthcare, routine lab testing, xrays etc.

History has proven that nothing is truly appreciated until it is gone.
Meaux

Post by Meaux »

Gossip coming out of hospitals?? This is a HIPAA violation!!!!
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

OK Let's clarify this HIPPA thing. If information comes out of a hospital through the patient, family or visitors - that eventually becomes gossip and is not a HIPPA violation. However, if an employee of a hospital discusses information regarding the patients at the hospital (past or present) in public - that is a HIPPA violation.

There are a lot of examples of "horror " stories coming out of hospitals. All one has to do is read a newspaper or check out the web. Right now there is a lot of information out there regarding the woman who died in the LA ER, which is an example of a horror story on the west coast. Every hospital has a horror story to tell. And if one sues a hospital that information is now public record and no longer subject to HIPPA.

Finally, everyone should go see Michael Moore's "SICKO". It promises to open up everyone's eyes about the healthcare industry.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

UpTownGirl wrote:OK Let's clarify this HIPPA thing. If information comes out of a hospital through the patient, family or visitors - that eventually becomes gossip and is not a HIPPA violation. However, if an employee of a hospital discusses information regarding the patients at the hospital (past or present) in public - that is a HIPPA violation.
Just to clarify, if the family or visitors come out gossiping, it could indeed be a HIPAA violation. Front desk clerks asking patients for social security numbers in a non-private place can be a violation if others in proximity can hear. Additionally, leaving information sit on a unattended computer screen where I can walk by and read it is a violation.
Concerned Nurse

Post by Concerned Nurse »

You know caddis great point, you said, "some of the town people have turned a blind eye to the hospital because of the doctors that work the emergency room." You know if "some" of these people have a problem then maybe they should voice their opinions. This is a community hospital, which means owned by the community. If it is true that there is a problematic physician than do something about it, voice your concerns and make it a better hospital. It's sad that one bad apple rots the entire bushel. But, let me tell you there are plenty of wonderful doctors there as well as nurses and ancillary staff. You never hear the GOOD. Everyday we are there saving lives, and its true not everyone makes it, sadly that's life. But, I can assure you that there are plenty of great medical staff members that give their best effort and go above and beyond to do their job. As a community we need to pull together and be proud of our hospital. We are very fortunate to have this place. It's true that we don't offer "every" medical service available, but what hospital does? If a patient is in need of a level of care that we can't provide then we make arrangements to transfer that patient to a facility that better meets their needs. Let's get back to the main topic, this hospital is in financial trouble and if we don't pull together then we will no longer will have a hsopital. Then what wil this community do? UpTownGirl great topic! Atlest someone cares and is trying to open the eyes of the community. They need to know what's going on in the inside "the real truth."
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Great Post!
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

Think about this....approximately 18 months ago the nursing department was managed by a director of nursing and a daylight supervisor.

The adminstrator decided to "restructure" the nursing department and now the management team for nursing consists of 2 directors of nursing, a nurse educator, a daylight supervisor, a payroll/scheduler nurse. Could someone tell me how this situation - going from 2 managers to 4 managers - is more cost effective and beneficial? The previous director of nursing was making approximtely $60,000/year. Each of the 2 current directors are making in the neighborhood of $50,000/year each. Now let me see if I remember my 2nd grade math from Mrs. Laporte at Washington School. $60,000 does not equal $100,000.

No wonder there is financial mismanagement and the hospital is in trouble. It is time the community starts asking questions about "where are the dollars going" and why is the hospital losing money. I can tell you that is is not just because they cannot attract physicians (as the adminstrator states over and over).