Tyrone Hospital - The real bankruptcy story

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
banksy
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by banksy »

Backjudge

Sounds like some one has inside information

Post by Backjudge »

How come you 2 Concerned and uptown know so much about the hospital. Sounds like 2 disgruntled employees who have no idea what is going on.
My understanding of the nursing department is as follows: 2 Nursing Directors: one to grow the outpatient department and one to grow the inpatient department. THERE ARE NO MORE HEAD NURSES. THe payroll/scheduler also works in another department and so does the nurse educator. My source tells me that the nurses have always wanted an educator so stop crying when they give you what you want not who you want. :bluebounce: :devil: :guns:
billm

Altoona Hospital acquisition/merger

Post by billm »

maybe a new alliance could help?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 — Time: 1:15:16 PM EST

CEO: Hospital could gain $10M
Tyrone officials continue negotiations with Altoona Regional Health System on possible affiliation
By Greg Bock, gbock@altoonamirror.com

TYRONE — A proposed affiliation with Altoona Regional Health Care System would pump nearly $10 million into Tyrone Hospital to add two operating rooms, renovate patient rooms and provide initial operating cash.

Tyrone Hospital Chief Executive Officer Walt Van dy** confirmed the details he shared with the beleaguered hospital’s corporate body during a special meeting Monday night.

Van dy** said negotiations with Altoona Regional have been positive, but a decision on whether the two hospitals will collaborate has yet to be made.

“It’s a good idea whose time has come,” Van dy** said of the proposed affiliation.

A deal between the two would require nods from their respective boards, and the plan has to pass muster with U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Bernard Markovitz and Tyrone Hospital’s creditors.

Tyrone must submit its plans for reorganization, a requirement of Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, by July 15.

The court granted the non-profit an extension of the original deadline in March, and Van dy** said the hospital won’t seek another extension.

“We hope to have a plan by the middle of July,” Van dy** said.

What Van dy** couldn’t say is whether a deal would be in place with Altoona Regional before the court’s deadline.

Altoona “continues in discussions with Tyrone,” Chief Operating Officer Ron McConnell said. “No final decisions have been made.”

Tyrone’s corporate body usually meets once per year, in August, to review the previous fiscal year and reorganize its board.

Since its August 2006 meeting, the membership has called two special meetings because of the bankruptcy.

Monday’s, which was closed to the public and news media, was the latest.

Some corporate body members have expressed concerns about Tyrone’s present course and how best to emerge from bankruptcy, corporate member Bill Kirkpatrick said Tuesday.

Kirkpatrick said the concern is twofold.

“How do you define partnership? How do you define affiliation?” Kirkpatrick asked. “The concern is, it is going to be a merger or a takeover.”

Kirkpatrick said as long as the facility remains a hospital, particularly with a round-the-clock emergency room, most patients probably would not care if its an entity of Altoona Regional or not.

Some members that have been involved in the hospital since its early days worry that an affiliation would squeeze out local influence.

The second concern focuses on what could happen to the hospital if the court, or the creditors, reject the hospital’s affiliation plans.

While Tyrone officials have a back-up plan — one that Kirkpatrick said he and other dissenting members favor — the details remain foggy. Kirkpatrick said corporate members also are worried that both plans may fail to get court and creditor approval.

If the court rejects both, the hospital risks slipping into Chapter 7, a move that would close its doors and sell off its assets.

To present alternatives to the board, members brought in an outside consultant that has worked for Tyrone Hospital in
the past.
Concerned Nurse

Post by Concerned Nurse »

Well Backjudge, I think maybe you should go back and read my post. In no such way have I ever portrayed myself as a disgruntled employee, I am all for the hospital and the best interest of its patients! As for us having any idea as for what is going on, you couldn't be more right! We don't know what to expect from day to day, who knows we could be like the employees of Philipsburg Hospital who show up one day to find that the doors are closing and they're out a job. Your "understanding" of the division of the nursing department is correct as well, but for a hospital in a financial bind why would they want to expand management and pay more in salaries, than micromanage and save money? Not to mention the bed size of the hospital, is it feasible to have so many chiefs? Not only is it seen in nursing, but in other areas of management. Now with the nurse educator, that's a need to keep staff members up to date with the ever so expanding medical field. It is important to keep our skills in fine tune. It has nothing to do with who we wanted. Ask yourself this, is our nurse educator providing the optimal level of education? Why don't you ask the employees? This is by no means an attack on the educator, I am simpily stating I'm not "crying" because I did not get what I wanted, it is more so what is needed! So my question to you Backjudge, How come you know so much about the hospital? Once again, since I am being presumed disgruntled, I just want to say I am far from that!
Concerned Nurse

Post by Concerned Nurse »

We need to get back to the main topic here. This discussion is not ment to be a shouting match between employees, but rather a place to open the eye's of the community of what is going on behind our walls! They need to be informed of what is going on before it is too late!
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

Concerned Nurse you are so correct. This forum was started to open the eyes of the community to the problematic issue at the hospital and to encourage community involvement. After all this forum appears in the community discussions section and not "The Disgruntled Employees Section". BTW, I am not an employee nor have I ever been an employee. I am however in healthcare administration so I understand the situatioin better than most.

Concerned Nurse is correct. When a hospital has filed bankruptcy, the "cream" of the organization needs to be skimmed. Right now the nursing department is top heavy with too many chiefs. Please enlighten the readers of this forum with those programs, etc the outpatient and inpatient managers have implemented to make money for the hospital. Tell us BackJudge how the nursing department has improved since the move to two managers and no head nurses. Ask the employees, oh Backjudge, if they believe the educator has done a good job and improved their nursing skills.

I now challenge the employees of Tyrone Hospital to get more involved in this forum and get their voices heard. Tell the community how "happy" you are with all the changes. Ask you questions of administration publically so that everyone can get the answers. Let the community know how the hospital is saving or wasting money. It is about time that we get this community involved to save this hospital. Whether they like or use the hospital or not, the community needs to ask questions - because in the end once the hospital is gone, it will be gone forever. And I surely do not wish to come back to this forum and say "I told you so!"
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Concerned Nurse wrote:... open the eye's of the community of what is going on behind our walls! They need to be informed of what is going on before it is too late!
Merger, takeover, schmakeover.... whatever... Tyrone needs it's hospital! I see nothing wrong with our hospital merging with, and/or, being in partnership with Altoona. As long as it can maintain it's name, The Tyrone Hospital, and as long as it functions as a full fledged hospital... not a drop by, get your X-Ray, get your Lab work, stabilize, then off you go to another hospital for the big time.
We in the community should never have any doubts what-so-ever that a "deal" was made under the table. Or, that someone is in this for the name or the $$$$ !! There's too much of that stuff going on in this world and most people, here in Tyrone, were not born yesterday. All negotiations should be truthful, up-front, legitimate and made public. We can handle the truth and take it from there.
It is going to take a lot of money and time to get our hospital back on it's feet again. We should be very grateful that Altoona has offered to help us. Spending big bucks to fix this and that, here and there, is not the answer. While keeping an Emergency Area open, the whole hospital should be shut down, cleaned up and revamped. In this world of modern medicine, it is a must to have state-of-the-art equiptment and personnel that are trained and qualified to use it.
I know this is a way out thought, but, I think it would be great to "fix up" the old hospital and use it as and Emergency Area, walk-in medical, OB-GYN Clinic etc. Also, use it for Education and Training for Staff... maybe even a Dialysis Unit, the main Labortory, Blood Bank and Pathology Section... etc... things like that. Then, take the money that Altoona has offered and build a modern state-of-the-art hospital, nearby, that the community of Tyrone can be proud of for years to come.
Many things are involved in the everyday functioning of a hospital. The general public could never imagine !! It takes good management, leadership, respect, dedication, team work and most of all, maintaining a sense of compassion for each other and constant striving towards keeping moral high.
Another thought.... there has to be a way to keep SUE out of this !! She has done a lot of damage to the health care system over the years and something has to be done... she is completely out of hand !! For her to rear her ugly head, not too long ago, and win for something that happened 10+ years ago is absolutely absurd.
Please take heed folks... we can't lose our hospital.. it is part of our community. Have you noticed how nice everything is looking all around our little town ?? It is because people have worked hard, cared enough, and persevered to make it what it is today. We take so much for granted. Life or death, we will all need that hospital, someday, for something... think of it and don't let it go.
So much for My2Cents.
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

Thanks for your thoughts, My2Cents...I believe that anything is possible if you believe it is. So it seems that the hospital can definitely be saved if people like you and me are pulling for it together. Again, thanks for your insight. :thumb:
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

My2cents - Throughout your entire post you referred to the hospital as "our". You are the person I want on my team because the hospital is "ours" and belongs to the community. Your suggestions are exceptional - how about you coming into the hospital and taking over.

Actually, similar comments have been made about uses for this hospital and they all are good ideas. Most people in the community are not adverse to having Altoona merge and provide funds. The employees on the other hand are fearful of an Altoona takeover? Why? Because they have seen what happened when Altoona took over Bon Secours hospital and they do not want the same fate for Tyrone.

It is time for the corporate members to take over the management of the hospital. It is my understanding that there has been dialogue with a gentleman who "revitalizes" bankrupt hospitals. There was a meeting with the board, this gentlemen and the corporate members this past week. I would be interested in hearing through this forum what was said by this gentleman - particularly with regard to the future of the hospital.

Anyone out there know what went on at that meeting and would they care to comment?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

UpTownGirl wrote:how about you coming into the hospital and taking over.
ROFLOL !!! :lol: I could see that all now !! I'd be the first one admitted to the new CCU !! :P
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I'm sorry....stupid question, but please humor me. What does ROFLOL mean? I know LOL is laugh out loud, but don't know other part...also what is CCU?
Leep

Post by Leep »

Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud..
Not a DR but CCU looks like Critical Care Unit...

Or Maybe Clean Crisp Underwear..
Or maybe...Crispy Creme Underdog...
Or maybe, sheesh this is harder than it looks.. :D

Leep:
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Leep wrote:Or Maybe Clean Crisp Underwear..
I vote for this one! :thumb:

But I couldn't find an answer.

Wiki has a nice list.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

CCU

Post by My2Cents »

Oh, sorry :oops: ... in some of the larger hospitals CCU was known as the Coronary Care Unit. ICU was known as the Intensive Care Unit. Hate to admit it, but, I don't know for sure what they are calling them now. :roll:

For all I know, The Intensive Care Unit may now be called, The Expensive Scare Unit. 8)
UpTownGirl

Post by UpTownGirl »

Next question. What happened to all the money that was supposed to be utilized for employee's retirement? Were they buying new equipment? NOOOOO ! It appears that it has been a long time since money has been placed in the retirement accounts. So tell the community, Mr. CEO where did the money go that was allotted for the employees' retirement. It is such a shame that there are many people in the community who dedicated 30+ years to the hospital and will have nothing in retirement. And for those who are currently receiving retirement benefits..I certainly would be at the CEO's door demanding an explanation! After all you worked hard for that hospital and now your retirement is gone. I would be concerned as to how much longer you will be receiving your benefits.