THE TYRONE YMCA?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

What do YOU think should happen to the ymca????

tear it down?
42%
restore the bulding?
23%
restore bulding and use once again as ymca?
31%
do not care?
4%

Total votes: 26

Meaux
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by Meaux »

I only saw the headline, through the glass of a newspaper sales bin but I'm 90% sure I read that G&R Demolition was the interested buyer.
Blain

Post by Blain »

Meaux wrote:I only saw the headline, through the glass of a newspaper sales bin but I'm 90% sure I read that G&R Demolition was the interested buyer.
The story I read said that they have basically agreed to sell it to G&R, pending a few things.
Robbuck
MVP Member

Post by Robbuck »

Just for the sake of argument.. What if they tore it down and put a new hotel there?? they have a parking lot right handy to it and it would be centrally located..Just food for thought :eek:
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

I've had that same thought before, too.

However, the length of the YMCA property lot is quite narrow and is currently land-locked with no room for expansion.

Perhaps the Boro Government would be willing to make some alterations to the public lot and their personal parking lot on both sides of the YMCA building, as well as negotiate the acquistion of the building adjacent to the YMCA and across from the Police Station (is that the former mayor's apartment? I think I had viewed a WarMark Reality sign on it recently) in order to merge the properties together so that it would be more attractive for a hotel developer to consider.

I'm sure there would be some who would shudder at this idea, however, for the betterment and positive advancement of the community individuals and entities might have to make sacrifices. :wink:

If this was done, perhaps the hotel could be built up so there would be a private underground parking garage for hotel guests only. This would allow for the boro to keep the public lot, but it could also protect the building from flood damage should something like Hurricane Ivan strike again. And if it was built high enough, the upper floors could have a decent view of the town. Perhaps a restaurant could be located on the upper floor which could have a 360 degree view of the town and surrounding area. <Tyrone 360> Although, that could also have a negative affect depending on what people might see.

However, one of the major problems with this idea could be amount of sewage capacity the hotel would require and the lack of sewage capacity at the Water Treatment plant.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Robbuck and Bucktail... I too, have had VERY similar thoughts about the hotel issue. Both of you have brought out some very good ideas !!! I was subconsciously placing it on the corner of PA Ave and 10th Street, as we were sharing our opinions on the demise of the present "Y" building.
However, putting a hotel in the "Y" area with a "parking garage and rotating restaurant," WOW, wouldn't that be GREAT ?!?! Then put the "Arts and Entertainment/Opera House/Dinner Theater" down on the corner of 10th Street an PA Ave., once that old corner building, et.al., is outa' there.
Another thought, since this is the "Y" thread.... We don't need a "YMCA" per se, in Tyrone, PA... we have the Joshua House and it looks to me like it is an outstanding organization, constantly striving in, and, doing things for our community, and most of all, doing wonders for the kids in this town. We should make every effort to constantly support them to the MAX. In given time, and with community support, they could possibly expand down to the area of the old Beyer and Gillam Bldg. Ah-oh... another building to come down.. put that in the next chapter.
One thing that Tyroners never forget; the flow of The Little Juniata River. Most of us know what it has done in the past.... is it under control now ?? If not, all suggestions are wishful thinking.
Blain

Post by Blain »

Does anybody actually believe that a hotel in Tyrone would have enough business to remain open? If the market could support one, a smart business person would have already done that research and built a hotel.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Good point, Blain.

I believe that the chances of a hotel chain surviving in Tyrone are slim. Under 25% chance of survival. It's only my opinion, though, and I'm not a business guy nor have I conducted or viewed a feasibility study on it. Maybe no more than a 50 room motel with a banquet hall would be able to. I don't know, but I have my doubts.

But, the only profitable business that I can foresee it ever getting are from groups of people coming back to the area to visit at certain times of the year (such as weddings and reunions), PSU Football (which would probably be a sellout about 5 times a year), and possibly some business from Bland's (DelGrosso's) Park.

Though I believe any hotel/motel in Tyrone would certainly be a struggle to succeed financially, somehow the former Minuet Manor (now Knight's Inn) just outside of Bellwood continues to survive. Yet, on any given night there might only be 3 vehicles at best there. I have no idea how they are able to keep their lights on, nor how they were able to obtain a franchise logo.

------------------

MyTwoCents - You are really taking my idea of a rooftop restaurant with a skyline view and turning into something. There's absolutely no way a rotating restaurant could ever make it in Tyrone, let alone this area. MAYBE State College. The planning and construction expense alone would make it an impossibility, I would venture to guess.

However, if you do like restaurants of this nature, the Holiday Inn on St. Pete Beach in Florida has one, as does the tower at Niagra Falls, and the Space Needle in Seattle, WA, I believe. I don't know of any within 120 miles of this area. Probably farther.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:

MyTwoCents - You are really taking my idea of a rooftop restaurant with a skyline view and turning into something.
ROFLOL !! I understand what you're saying Bucktail. I was just kiddin'... I don't think anyone would want to eat and revolve from a rooftop in downtown Tyrone. :D
disneyqn71

YMCA

Post by disneyqn71 »

I personally think that tearing the old building down and building anything that creates revenue is a plus for Tyrone.

I believe a small, well managed hotel would attract business and actually survive in the same manner that other business' that cater to out of towners ($$) would. I would have never predicted that fine dining or a boutique would have survived, but they do and will continue to, as long as people from out of town frequent their establishments.

It's too bad that Tyrone wanted no part in joining forces with Bellwood when the Blair Rec was being developed and built. That was a huge asset to my neck of the woods.

Merely my opinion. :P
RyanMyers

Post by RyanMyers »

but if they do build a hotel it cant be a un atractive hotel. will it be privite owned or chain(comfort inn,days inn,sleep inn,hampton inn,hilton. but it has 2 be something that makes our town look better not worse. :roll:
nancykins

Post by nancykins »

I think there's a real need for affordable housing in Blair County.
Right now I'm forced to live in Altoona because I couldn't get into any Section 8 housing in Tyrone - which really ticks me off since all my family's from Tyrone. Anyway - I think they should build another housing development there like the one by the papermill or across from Logan Beverage.

It's not right that I can't live where I want to.

Get with it Tyrone Borough Council! :stick:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

RyanMyers wrote:but if they do build a hotel it cant be a un atractive hotel. will it be privite owned or chain(comfort inn,days inn,sleep inn,hampton inn,hilton. but it has 2 be something that makes our town look better not worse. :roll:
Let's hope it will be privately owned by someone who cares for, and is interested in, Tyrone and it's future. Not by some person, or chain, who's in it for their own selfish reasons.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

What are the selfish reasons? Just curious.
disneyqn71

YMCA

Post by disneyqn71 »

The very LAST thing Tyrone needs is another section 8 housing project.
I wish there would be housing for middle income folks, like in State College and Altoona. Why does it have to be section 8 or retirement?

I agree that whatever goes into former YMCA site though, should be attractive, but more importantly generate revenue for the town. When people stay at hotels, they also need gas, food, etc. So I vote, HOTEL.
RyanMyers

Post by RyanMyers »

what about puting in a new theater for the tyrone players. :roll: