THE TYRONE YMCA?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

What do YOU think should happen to the ymca????

tear it down?
42%
restore the bulding?
23%
restore bulding and use once again as ymca?
31%
do not care?
4%

Total votes: 26

150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

So many things to respond to:

I've very cavalier. Thanks for noticing.

Frankly, rather than have these people waste away in prison, I truly believe more camps such as the CCC camps from the 30's to keep our State Parks maintained should be reinstated. And instead of PennDOT contracting out to repair the roads, the state should be using the manpower the PADOC has at hand to do it. Chaingangs if you will. A whole lot of sweating and manual labor would make for much better rehab than some dang clinic. And they already do it with the Litter Patrol.

Imagine the money the state could save that way.

And, honestly, I think that Sheriff Joe Arpaio from Maricopa county, Arizona has the right idea when it comes to housing and feeding convicts. Maybe the state of PA and/or Blair county could learn something from him.

Besides, you can't rehab individuals unless they actually want to be rehabilitated, and are willing to put for the effort and work at staying clean.

And for the record, I like my soap box. I've never had the need nor desire to even try an illegal drug. And you are absolutely right. It does make me feel good to be able to say that. However, you are wrong because it does truly accomplish one very important thing ... which is that it is fully possible for people to totally avoid experimenting, doing, and abusing drugs if they have the personal strength and will-power to do so.

By the way, I'm glad you like my catch-phrase. :thumb: I have it copywrited... I'll send you the bill.

But you are sadly incorrect. I didn't pen the phrase "Fire pretty ... fire burn." I heard it was some drug addict fresh out of rehab who decided to do the junk again and fell into the bonfire at a party. :P

-------------------------------

Back to the orginal thread topic with the YMCA title:

As far as the YMCA being a meth clinic, Tyrone does have zoning. I know that there are some court battles currently across the Commonwealth in regards to Meth Clinics and their proximity to residential areas, schools, and parks. I cannot remember the amount of distance that is supposedly supposed to buffer between the clinic and these areas, however. The City of Altoona had this issue when a meth clinic was proposed for the Frankstown Road/Plank Road area. And the City of Dubois is involved in one of the battles, and I'm not sure if that has been decided by the legal system or not yet.

And I have to agree with you about zoning. I'm all for sensible zoning within the townships. Of course, "sensible" is open for interpretation depending upon one's point of view.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Please refer to Methadone Clinics as "methadone clinics".. Meth clinics is too easily confused with Meth labs. Thank you... Also, Not all recovering addicts get their treatments paid for... Some pay $400 a month...
PUP

Post by PUP »

I wonder how a new movie theater would work out.There wouldn't be smoking in there so that would be a plus for insurance.There is some empty building's that could be used.You could have a kid's nite for different ages and pop corn isn't that much.Maybe they could bring back the old time movies to the current time's. :thumb:
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

I have often thought that Tyrone needed a movie theater. I grew up here and having to go to Altoona or State College, when you didn't have a license or a ride, was tough. Now, I do it all the time, but for the kids it would be nice. It would have to be small, two screens and a new building would need to be built. However, and I say this from experience, it would have to be locally owned by someone willing to put the money up. My husband was a manager for the third largest movie theatre corporation in the country when we lived in VA and they only make profit off of the concessions, which is why they are so expensive. So even though the huge 20lb bags of popcorn they buy are only about $15.00 a piece, if they don't sell for high prices then no money is made. Box office take goes to the company who provides the movies to the theatre. The theatre itself sees about 2-5% of the profit from box office take and that is it!! I say all of this b/c a large chain will not find it financially feasible to support a small theatre. But, if you know someone who could get the financial backing for a theatre, I would definitely go there to see movies!! I'm just wondering if the YMCA space, once the building is demo'd, would be the right place for such a thing! There are small towns that have locally owned theatres and they do quite well, so it is possible!
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

I am not sure Tyrone could support a theater. Perhaps if someone didn't care about making money and tried to make a go of it for philanthropic reasons it could be possible, but from an investment standpoint, if you had the kind of money to build that I doubt that is where a for-profit person would land that kind of money.

I know the owners of the theater in Bellefonte and I think with just the competition from St. College it is a struggle to make a profit. You may have to combine the building with a restaurant of some type and use the movie to pull people to the restaurant.

Is the downtown theater in Phillipsburg still around? Wondering if they have survived... although they don't have Altoona so close to them, just State College.
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

The theatre is Phillipsburg is still there, they change out the movie about every 3 weeks, so it has survived.
Now for an idea....I used to live in Virginia and they had these "Cinema Cafe's" They were very popular. It was a restaurant/movie theatre. You would pay admission, but it was less expensive than admission to a regular theatre b/c then once you were in the theatre, you found whatever seats you wanted a waiter would come and take your order. They sold soda, popcorn, and candy, but they also sold pizza, sandwiches, salads, appetizers. We had about 6 of those just in the area I lived in and they were so popular that they bought up about 4 old Regal Cinemas that had to close for financial problems and they turned them into Cinema Cafe. So just like a regular theatre they showed first run movies and then in about two of the theatres they always had family movies, old or new. On Superbowl Sunday, they would use some of the stadiums in the theatre for the football games. It was a lot of fun, families love it. They would host birthdays and everything. If we could get them to move up to this area (perhaps not in town, but maybe out in Snyder Township) it would provide some jobs for people living in Tyrone, and I think it would be enjoyed by all. I know it may not be financial gain for Tyrone, if not located in town, but it would still be better than going to State College or Altoona!

Back to the YMCA site, not sure what should go there, I just know that building needs to go. It is fenced off on the sidewalk so you have to walk in the street to get around it. Parking may be the only thing they can do with that area, unfortunately.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

WOW.... "A Movie Theater".... that's a great idea !!! A "Cinema Cafe" ... that would be a great idea too !! :bluebounce: :thumb:
smboats

Post by smboats »

Do you guys think any new movie theater could ever live up to the levels of the old Wilson or El Patio (?) theaters that were on the corner of 11th and Pennsylvania Ave? Had to bring your own seat and club to beat off the rats. Some solvent to unstick your shoes from the floor was always a good idea too! Maybe you are to young to remember when they were open, but I spent many a Saturday afternoon (winter only) there and have fond memories of the places. Also remember the student teachers putting on plays there and getting loaded into school buses and dragged down to see them. God, it's these hot miserable city days that really make me miss Tyrone and all its little quirks.
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

If we want to draw tourists into the area we need to focus on what makes this area unique.

I propose we create a Center for Traditional Appalachian Arts and Culture.

There are several government funding streams we could tap into to subsidize the project.

In 1965, the US Congress created the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) to support economic and
social development in Appalachia.

The program serves parts of 13 states from both the Northern and Southern Regions.

The states are: West Virginia, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The federal government grants moneys to state, county and local agencies to encourage and improve education, transportation, and medical care.

Classes could include:

Clogging
Whittling
Pottery
Hide Tanning
Blacksmithing
Gourd Banjos
Hog Dressing
Spinning and Weaving
Snake Handling
Corn Shuck Dolls
Log Cabin Building
In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

Conan_the_Hoagarian wrote: Classes could include:

Clogging
Whittling
Pottery
Hide Tanning
Blacksmithing
Gourd Banjos
Hog Dressing
Spinning and Weaving
Snake Handling
Corn Shuck Dolls
Log Cabin Building
Fort Roberdeau comes to mind. I'm not saying they do any of this, it just reminds me of that. I figured I would add that last part before you responded Conan that they do no clogging, whittling, or pottery at the Fort.
Conan_the_Hoagarian

Post by Conan_the_Hoagarian »

banksy wrote: Fort Roberdeau comes to mind. I'm not saying they do any of this, it just reminds me of that. I figured I would add that last part before you responded Conan that they do no clogging, whittling, or pottery at the Fort.
Good point Banksy. Clogging is not offered at Fort Roberdeau or any other place in the area.

If Tyrone plays it's cards right - it could establish itself as the clogging capitol of PA. I envision a Clogging Dance Company that could tour the nation - much like the Irish and their River Dance.

I know that John Harlow is quite the clogger. Perhaps this would be enough of an incentive for him to return to Tyrone and head up the troupe.

I can see the marquee now:

John Harlow - Lord of the Dance Presents: The world famous Tyrone Cloggers.

He could be the next Fred Waring.
In hoagie wars, the only victim is good taste.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Get serious you'ze guys... I don't know what you'ns are talkin' 'bout !! If you'ns keep this up we'll never git this here town built !!
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

S'cuse me, I mean.... wheeze ain't never gonna' git this here town built.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

What do you mean "built", 2Cents?

We need to tear it down first! That seems the most sensible way to build a better town to me.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Seriously I think the only thing that would benefit the town would be a YMCA.. With basketball games for all ages, volleyball, daycare, pre-school, dance lessons, exercise classes, etc. We need something that every age can get involved in. The years between 14 - 18 is a rough age. Young people don't want to stay in town anymore, they want to go out and be around people outside of Tyrone. Honestly what brings a town together is sports, so learning sports at a young age will keep the kids together and thus maybe the town. I honestly can't think of anything else in this town that young people would be interested in. I don't really think a movie theater would work. Just the older people would go and we'd still be wondering what to do with the kids...