THE TYRONE YMCA?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

What do YOU think should happen to the ymca????

tear it down?
42%
restore the bulding?
23%
restore bulding and use once again as ymca?
31%
do not care?
4%

Total votes: 26

My2Cents
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Post by My2Cents »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:What do you mean "built", 2Cents?

We need to tear it down first! That seems the most sensible way to build a better town to me.
There you go.... now we're back on the subject.... we need to tear the "Y" down first.... that's the most sensible way... As far as the whole town... look around.... there's still a lot more to be done, however, slowly but surely... it's looking good !!!
PUP

Post by PUP »

I was told he wasn't tearing it down.He's going to fix it,up but the pool in the basement can't be fixed,it got to much damage.He's fixing it up and giving it back to the kid's.

I do have a quiestion to Bill.......... :guns:
Why would Hollidaysburg YMCA be leasing the pool,Tyrone's pool?There's no one in Tyrone to teach or want to do what Hollidaysburg is doing?Who's community are we living in?I'm not driving to Hollidaysburg when I live in the district the pool's in and pay taxes for it's repair. :roll: :stick:
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Not tearing it down? Fixing it up? For the kids?

Have fun complying with codes and ADA requirements whomever is doing this, if it is true. I seriously doubt it'll be cheap.

And they better open up that sidewalk soon. Speaking of that, Bill, will the boro be requiring G and R to establish and commit to a schedule or time frame in which to solve the years-long pedestrian issue in front of the building that will need to be approved by the council?

I'll chime in with my comment about the question for Bill, PUP. I think you need to direct it to TASD officials and/or Hollidaysburg YMCA.
PUP

Post by PUP »

I only know what I was told when I asked.If its not true,then that's sad,if it is true,then that's cool.
I saw a lot of bigger thing's happen with just a prayer and a dream.
akindergartenmom

Post by akindergartenmom »

As far as Hollidaysburg YMCA, I do not know what they do with our high school pool in the summer, but during the winter months they hold open swim twice a week and then they also hold swimming lessons for various ages so that we don't have to drive all the way to Hollidaysburg. My kids did this last year and it was a lot of fun. The lessons are reasonably priced and they have a good turnout! As far as having a Y in town for dance lessons and all, there is a dance school in town already and the schools offer sports, plus the Blair County Rec Center is not too far away, I am not sure if the residents would use the Y to it's full potential. But, you never know. Research would have to be done on this. But, if they do decide to build a new Y, perhaps they can build it downtown on PA Avenue once they tear down that eyesore on the corner, you know the one that the court keeps postponing demo on because supposedly the building owners are working on it. There is nothing being done to that place at all!
Beck

Post by Beck »

There are alot of eyesore buildings in our town. Look at the old Big Yank building.
When I think of the old Tyrone YMCA I think of Saturday mornings and how busy it was with youth basketball. There was a constant stream of people coming in out and out of that place. I worked there for a few years and I can't remember a time when their wasn't something going on there. It was one busy place..
I don't think the building can be saved. So tear it down and let a big empty space there. Soon we'll be nothing but a ghost town along I-99 anyway. With the highway going past us, between Altoona and State College, who's going to stop here anyway...
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

Beck,

I understand your frustration, but surely a ghost town is a bit extreme.
Tyrone has a lot going for it, including the people and the place and location. As a former member of the Y, I think there were definitely people coming from other places to use it than just Tyrone. Sometimes creativity comes into play in any situation, and I believe there are many creative people out there, especially on this website who could come up with good solutions. There are many who are already doing unique things, and I think more will step up! Be encouraged! Tyrone is NOT destined to become a ghost town! At least that is my strong feeling and desire.
Beck

Post by Beck »

watcher wrote:Beck,

I understand your frustration, but surely a ghost town is a bit extreme.
Tyrone has a lot going for it, including the people and the place and location. As a former member of the Y, I think there were definitely people coming from other places to use it than just Tyrone. Sometimes creativity comes into play in any situation, and I believe there are many creative people out there, especially on this website who could come up with good solutions. There are many who are already doing unique things, and I think more will step up! Be encouraged! Tyrone is NOT destined to become a ghost town! At least that is my strong feeling and desire.
Watcher I agree with you that there are alot of people who want to do exciting things for and in Tyrone. I just have to wonder if its going to be enough to get people to stop while on their way from State to Altoona or the opposite.
I know the Y was used by alot of out of towners. When I worked there it was amazing the traffic of people going thru the doors. Thats why I think we need another YMCA. I don't know where it should be located but I think we need one. Sure there are other places out there now that host alot of the activities the Y had but there is something about a YMCA that makes a town come together. Might sound silly or girly (maybe motherly) but I think its true.
I hope our town doesn't become just a sign on I-99. If I fully believed this town was dying I would have left years ago, but I'm still here. I have to be honest though, I hope my kids leave this town. Explore a little then come back at some point.
PUP

Post by PUP »

I don't understand some thing's in Tyrone.........I just don't get it.
We live in Centre County and we are in Tyrone's school district,we pay school taxes and all that crap.Our court house is Bellefonte.

Please explain to me why the school did not come in after the YMCA closed it's door's and take over some of these program's,like swiming,basket ball,etc. to get even one third of these kid's off the street's.
Its not like they don't have the room now.

I would think that if anyone would be the mentor here for kid's,it would be the school.I thought Tyrone was a partnership program.You go to their event's and pay to get in,well then why can't they support what the town want's,a place for kid's to go to play basket ball,lift weights,etc.

Thats what I did not understand when Bill said,call Hollidaysburg.My own school district won't let anyone swim in the pool but Hollidaysburg will grant me permission too,WHAT THE....... :eek: ........Is that about????

Second of all,why would I drive up there,I'm closer to State College.
Right there is where your losing,the town,your sending people to look eleswhere for these thing's that you as a town as a community can provide.I don't get it............ :stick:

And where's Rick been?I haven't heard him and that's scary......... :guns:
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Beck and Watcher,

Does anyone from Tyrone use the Northern Blair Rec Center? Honestly, I don't know because we don't use it, and I'm currently in the Bellwood area. Heck, I don't even know what their membership rates are or what type of programs they offer. It's been a rare time that I've even actually have viewed an advertisement for it.

Does anyone know anything about it, what they have, and what they offer?

-----------------
PUP,

Here's my suggestion... and it's from the same theme as the last one.

Call the Tyrone Area School District. Make the call, ask the questions, seek the answers, voice your opinion to the administration, go to the school board meetings and do the same.

Then come back and share with us what you have discovered. I'd be interested to hear the responses.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Pup... I don't know if this is the true answer to your question about the pool, but I would think it was because the school would have to supply and pay for a lifeguard. The Hollidaysburg YMCA is helping out the Tyrone Area by "hosting" it for our benefit since we lost our Y.
I know nothing about the Rec building and what they have to offer. I'm not interested for myself so I never looked into it. My fault not theirs.
PUP

Post by PUP »

:thumb: Thank You Beck for your answer's. :D

Bucktail,
I have been to them meeting's before many times and it cost me an attorney but we won.
Wake Up call's can be quite entertaining at times. :roll:
Tyrone Hearld covered it and it didn't come over their fax machine either,haaaaaaaaa.
My kid's have been out of school for some time and I have never went back to see the King.

Anyway,I got my hand's a littleeeeeeeeeeeee tied up right now.I'm up against the Dept.Of State and the gov for a food bank approval.
I want one and I'm getting one!!!!!!! :stick:

I know,Let's send Banksy :guns: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

PUP wrote:I know,Let's send Banksy :guns: Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I wouldn't do you any good. I am more interested in assisting military families who were sent from the Reserves to Iraq and took pay cuts to do it. Besides, this thread is about the Y.
PUP

Post by PUP »

Besides, this thread is about the Y ????

We are talking about the Y.
I was saying what I got my hand's into and wouldn't be able to go to the board just yet.
PUP

Post by PUP »

I will call though and ask the school where the partnership is,lol.
That's a fair statement to ask.

I'll have to remember what button to push since humans don't answer their phone anymore up there,press 1,press 2 :roll: ,LOL :bluebounce: