THE TYRONE YMCA?

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.

What do YOU think should happen to the ymca????

tear it down?
42%
restore the bulding?
23%
restore bulding and use once again as ymca?
31%
do not care?
4%

Total votes: 26

RyanMyers
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

THE TYRONE YMCA?

Post by RyanMyers »

Last week I read in the paper that someone is planing on buying the ymca and maybe restoring the bulding. Is this true?
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Did not see the option for "Tear it Down and rebuild as a YMCA" so I voted for rebuild.

I had seen the inside of the YMCA post-Ivan and it wasn't pretty downstairs.

I'm not sure about someone buying the building, but it could be possible. I do not know.

I would also vote for "Tear it Down and rebuild YMCA elsewhere" if that was an option.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

It's too far gone now... I think they should tear it down and build a theater for the Community Players, and other talented events throughout this area. They should also try to save the painting at the top of the stairs and somehow place it somewhere in the new building.
Think of the future... let's bring folks into Tyrone to see our Community Players and the other talented folks that are out there.. this could be a GOOD thing !! It's a perfect place for a NEW Concert Hall and Theater... including the fact that there is a parking area.
Beck

Post by Beck »

We need a YMCA.. I don't care what they do, just get the kids one...
PUP

Post by PUP »

I didn't vote because I don't know what the inside look's like.....
But,whatever's best to regain another Y.M.C.A for the kid's,I'm for.
Reliance Bank alway's claim's to be the hometown bank.Wouldn't it be nice for them to float a loan,small payment,and let the club's who use the Y have fund raiser's to help make the payment.You could put on show's to bring in the people and the people would be helping the kid's pay for the building.I bet the pride would spread within the young adult's.Majorett's could do a show,I'd come to watch that,the little one's are cute twirling. :thumb: Hey Reliance Bank,How hometown pride are you???
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Beck wrote:We need a YMCA..
I agree... however, as I stated above, they should tear down the present building instead of trying to restore it... it is too far gone and would be a waste of money on just a "fix-up." Also, asbestos and lead would be a concern IF it is in that building.
My thoughts are... this is downtown Tyrone... put something in there that will attract the attention of folks all over the area and give our little town some class. Slowly, but surely, our little town is looking good, let's keep it going.... Yes, we need a YMCA and we should consider where to put it.. however, there are a lot of elderly and up and coming baby boomers in this area... I think it would be a convient place for folks of all ages to come to and enjoy our Community Players, while also inviting other Arts and Entertainment into our town... it would pay for itself in no time and people of all ages could enjoy it.
If another YMCA is to be considered, why not put it up where the old High School is (Lincoln School) ??
Also, if a YMCA is considered... it should function as a YMCA.
OK, go ahead kick me... just My2Cents :wink:
My2Cents
MVP Member

P.S.

Post by My2Cents »

P.S. The old Lugg and Edmonds building (across from Joybeans) is huge.... what a waste, the fact that it is just sitting there... that too, should not be ignored... a perfect spot for the... for the..... whatever....
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

should be a pool option to tear down and build NEW building YMCA
Blain

Post by Blain »

Maybe G&R will turn it into another junk yard, like they have in Northwood.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Blain wrote:Maybe G&R will turn it into another junk yard, like they have in Northwood.
Oh my... what an eye sore !!! I cannot believe that it is even allowed to remain like that. Imagine the "critters" that are going to take up lodging there for the fall and winter. It's totally disgusting and very unsanitary.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Take it down. The building is too far gone to be saved, and has too many issues (especially structural issues) to be reclaimed. From ADA requirements, Labor and Industry issues, not to mention probable hazardous materials throughout the building. The fact remains that if the building had received appropriate preventive maintenance throughout the years, the boro officials and/or state agencies had conducted appropriate and annual inspections of the facility rather than ignore them, and the YMCA board had willingly and aggressively looked for a new facility when the maintenance and building conditions became into question more and more (I believe the Daily Herald first reported about the need for a new facility back in 1983 in an interview with the Director) perhaps there still might be a YMCA in Tyrone. And all this is pre-Hurricane Ivan.

As far as ever regaining the YMCA to open a new complex in Tyrone, I would seriously doubt it, and would call it a pipe dream at best. Look at the investment and expansion they (the national YMCA) are putting into the Hollidaysburg YMCA and the State College YMCA. I would be highly pessimistic of the national YMCA organization to build or rebuild a facility in Tyrone at any point. A high percentage of demand is just not there within the overall community, and they would be competing against Hollidaysburg, SC, the Summit, and Northern Blair Rec. Especially once I-99 is completed (if ever).

However, they could be enticed should a modern, state of the art complex already equipped with the necessities typically located within a YMCA be built. But who would be willing to build something like that for free? I believe Jeff Long had offered to purchase the building a couple years ago, but was denied by the YMCA Board of Directors. The same board members who just asked for forgiveness from creditors and "gave" the building away to GnR. Here was an opportunity... why was it shunned?

Hey, here's a thought... perhaps the boro leaders could consider bringing in another section 8 housing development into Tyrone in order to be able to apply for more state and/or federal grant money and build a new complex?

As far as buildings like Lincoln Elementary, Old Yank, and the Lugg and Edmonds building just to name a few, most of these buildings are in a state comparable to the YMCA building or close to it. They will probably have the same conditions I mentioned previously and I would venture to guess would cost as much in rehabilitation, than it would be to build anew.

And finally, if Tyrone was actually able to "get" a new facility, number one on the checklist would need to be 1) Keep away from Little Juniata Flood Plain.
RyanMyers

ymca

Post by RyanMyers »

We have all spent so many days,so many summers in that old bulding TELL ME JUST TELL ME you would not be sad a little if they bring in the wrecking ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sorry if i sound a little crazy but that old bulding means so so so much to me. :stick: :(
watcher
MVP Member

Post by watcher »

I think it's interesting to take a poll and find out what people in Tyrone, and/or interested people would like to see happen to the Y building, and I believe that the majority would be interested in seeing it restored in some way. If not as a Y, then perhaps to use in conjuction with the Arts as My2 Cents said in an earlier post. But the question really is, if it was purchased by a local business, then what does that business or party want to see happen to it? Who purchased it anyway? I was talking to someone who wanted to see it used as a state of the art facility for the arts/entertainment and hotel, but what does the purchaser want? It would be good to know that he/she/they have an interest in what the community wants also, and are listening to the input offered. What does the community most need, and what would be most feasible?
My2Cents
MVP Member

Re: ymca

Post by My2Cents »

RyanMyers wrote: that old bulding means so so so much to me. :(
As it does to many others RM. I remember tap dancing on that stage.. going behind the curtain, changing outfits and returning onstage to tap dance somemore, ROFLOL !! I remember being in a chorus and singing Christmas Carols from the stage... it was a full house and the audiance sang along to some of the songs. We had our High School band concerts there. There were 4 bowling alleys, thru a door at the back of the gym... every Wednesday evening we would go there to bowl.. think it cost a quarter.... we had to take turns sitting up our own pins. It was a lot of running back and forth, but... it was fun !! Then, the dances after the football game on Friday nights... walking into the gym via the ramp above the floor of the gym....gals with saddle shoes and guys with white bucks... girls with their can-can poodle skirts and guys with their crew neck sweater with it's Qxford collared shirt.... Oh, the suspense of looking down onto the gym floor to see if your childhood sweetheart was waiting for you.... or, dancing with sombody new, ROFLOL.
The one thing that brought a tear to my eye.... I was away from Tyrone for a over 30 years (came back only to visit family off and on) after moving back, I went to the "Y" to see a play... upon entering the front door, I saw the painting above the steps... immediately, it brought back the memories of the good times spent there, and in Tyrone, PA., as a kid.
Like everything else that ages... the good 'ole "Y" has seen it's days !!! Aside from everything else that is now wrong with it.... you can almost see the mold and mildew seeping from it's bricks.
Let's kiss it good-bye... Let's start anew.... off with its head. :lol:
My2Cents
MVP Member

P.S.

Post by My2Cents »

P.S. one more thing then ( I think) I'm done with my 2 cents on this subject. Just want to say... I agree with Bucktail and Watchers comments.