Number of county (structurally deficient) bridges

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Number of county (structurally deficient) bridges

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

Structurally deficient bridges by county

8/3/2007, 4:32 p.m. EDT
The Associated Press

County - Structurally deficient bridges

Adams 56
Allegheny 328
Armstrong 85
Beaver 87
Bedford 107
Berks 126
Blair 76
Bradford 91
Bucks 185
Butler 122
Cambria 61
Cameron 27
Carbon 27
Centre 72
Chester 108
Clarion 57
Clearfield 135
Clinton 49
Columbia 60
Crawford 101
Cumberland 51
Dauphin 58
Delaware 55
Elk 32
Erie 76
Fayette 114
Forest 14
Franklin 64
Fulton 36
Greene 111
Huntingdon 63
Indiana 83
Jefferson 51
Juniata 53
Lackawanna 83
Lancaster 157
Lawrence 116
Lebanon 32
Lehigh 72
Luzerne 103
Lycoming 96
McKean 109
Mercer 76
Mifflin 38
Monroe 74
Montgomery 206
Montour 13
Northampton 55
Northumberland 35
Perry 42
Philadelphia 138
Pike 47
Potter 81
Schuylkill 89
Snyder 31
Somerset 130
Sullivan 25
Susquehanna 92
Tioga 77
Union 29
Venango 55
Warren 61
Washington 179
Wayne 77
Westmoreland 170
Wyoming 61
York 111
Source: AP analysis of Federal Highway Administration data
Mags

Post by Mags »

Pennsylvania is no different from the rest of the country with "structurally deficient" bridges. The infrastructure of the *entire* country is going to crumble down sooner rather than later because we have a federal government that would rather p*ss away $12B/month on an illegal war instead of worrying about the safety of its citizens.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/week ... arcost.htm
150thBucktailCo.I
MVP Member

Post by 150thBucktailCo.I »

It's not just a war in Iraq. That is only one of many reasons.

Murtha nabs $150M pork
By Roxana Tiron
August 03, 2007

Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), chairman of the House Appropriations defense panel, has secured the most earmarked dollars in the 2008 military spending bill, followed closely by the panel’s ranking member Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.).

Even though Young secured 52 earmarks, worth $117.2 million — and co-sponsored at least $27 million worth of others — Murtha’s 48 earmarks amount to a total of $150.5 million, according to a database compiled by the watchdog organization Taxpayers for Common Sense (TCS).

The House is expected to take up the $459.6 billion defense appropriations bill Friday. It contains 1,337 earmarks, costing $3.07 billion, which is less than half the number and value of earmarks in last year’s bill.

Keith Ashdown of TCS said, however, that the sum is derived from only the earmarks that the panel disclosed at the back of the bill’s report. He expects to find undisclosed projects as well.

“It appears that they are in keeping with the House commitment to reduce earmarks by 50 percent,” Ashdown said. “There are less [earmarks], but it is early and we have not looked at everything.”

The 2008 bill for “the first time gives us a snapshot [of] how the committee allocates taxpayers’ resources,” Ashdown added.

Even though the panel disclosed the project name, the requesting member, and the budget line in which the project was requested, the bill and its earmarks are not a model of transparency. The panel did not disclose either the amount requested or the companies that would benefit. TCS paired the disclosed requests in the committee report with the dollar amounts for the projects published in the bill.

This year is the first in which earmarks were disclosed under new House rules mandating that lawmakers identify their earmarks in letters to the committee certifying that they have no financial interest in the project. The report accompanying the bill contained a chart listing projects and sponsors, but not the amounts of the earmark.

Still, it is clear that the chairman and ranking member are doing well in this year’s defense-spending bill, Ashdown added.

Murtha, the defense industry’s darling, has been known throughout his tenure on the defense panel to shell out a large number of earmarks. His biggest earmark in the bill is $23 million for the National Drug Intelligence Center (NDIC), a move that sparked a fierce fight with Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.), who earlier this year voted in a private meeting to strip Murtha’s earmark.

The Bush administration requested $16 million to shut down the center, which is in Murtha’s district, because it replicated the work of a similar center.

Murtha’s second highest earmark is for $15 million for a military molecular medicine initiative.

Young has several requests valued at $5 million for projects such as ballistic missile range safety technology, the Common Aero Vehicle (another missile program) and rapid-response counter-measures to chemical and biological weapons.

The embattled former Appropriations Committee chairman, Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Calif.), also claims a big haul of earmark dollars, totaling $95 million. In some cases, he joined Reps. Ellen Tauscher (D-Calif.), Howard "Buck" McKeon (R-Calif.) and other California lawmakers in requests for earmarks.

Lewis also requested $2 million for an integrated propulsion analysis tool, which would benefit Advatech Pacific, a company represented in Washington by Innovative Federal Strategies.

A partner of the firm is Letitia White, Lewis’s former Appropriations defense staff member. She was formerly with the firm Copeland Lowery Jacquez Denton & White. Federal investigators are reportedly looking into the connection between Lewis, White and Bill Lowery, the lawmaker’s longtime friend. Lewis also asked for $3 million to fund the Lewis Center for Education Research.

Rep. Norm d*ck (D-Wash.), one of the most senior defense appropriators, was able to secure $44 million in earmarks, including $1 million for medical technology to look into rare blood diseases. He made that request with Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.). The two also requested $5 million for a littoral sensor grid.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) got her share of pork projects — 11 projects valued at $37.3 million.

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer’s (D-Md.) haul is $26 million.

The lion’s share of the earmarks can be found in the research, development, test and evaluation budget account. Some of the biggest requests in that account include $21.8 million for “electronic combat and counterterrorism training” by FATS Inc. of Georgia, sponsored by Jack Kingston (R-Ga). Kingston secured $55.3 million in total earmarks, some of which he made with Rep. Jim Marshall (D-Ga.) and Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.).

Another high request in the research account comes from Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), who got $19 million for an “affordable weapons system,” according to Laura Peterson of TCS.

According to TCS, candidates for the non-defense earmark category include the Christian Sarkine Autism Treatment Center, which received $2.5 million from Rep. Dan Burton (R-Ind.), the Center for Genetic Origins of Cancer at the University of Michigan, which got $3 million from Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) and Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), and $1.5 million for an eponymous project at the National Bureau for Asian Research in Seattle, sponsored by Rep. d*ck.
Mags

Post by Mags »

150thBucktailCo.I wrote:It's not just a war in Iraq. That is only one of many reasons.
Whether it's military spending pork requested by Murtha or a bridge to nowhere in Alaska requested by Ted "Tubes" Stevens, the fact remains that the feds are spending $$$$$$ like drunken sailors on leave. Iraqnam is not the *only* useless expense, however, it is part & parcel of military pork. The sad part is that of the billions being wasted on daily, the Pentagon couldn't be bothered to properly armor the bodies they're wasting in the desert. St. John Murtha, patron saint of all things wasteful, second only to Bud Schuster the first, is no different from any other overblown windbag on the Beltway.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Recipe for destroying America

1. Engage them in a war that makes no sense.

2. Have them mortgage the future financial resources of their country in the war.

3. Allow the infrastructure of America to crumble.

4. Attack them once they are weakened and without the resources to rebuild quickly.

5. Hope that Americans have enough doubt that they allow it to continue.
Blain

Post by Blain »

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being injured or killed in a bridge collapse.
PUP

Post by PUP »

Kinda sad about what happen but boy paycheck's are good for the bridge crew's working. :bluebounce:
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Kinda sad?? I would say it was quite tragic! Many people lost their lives. Who cares what the "crew " is making.
PUP

Post by PUP »

I do care what they make,I care how many hour's their working too.Somebody's going to have to pay the bill.Some of us can't afford anymore taxes for this mess.There's no winner's here.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Well, I think it is more than "kinda sad". I find it hard to be gleeful about the bridge crews pay checks while others are suffering!
PUP

Post by PUP »

Some people have more death's than other's in their life's,it doesn't mean they don't caare,it just mean's their use to it,like I said,sad,it happen,move on,same as 911.No one will forget but your not going to get some people to stop living.

We all will if we get a bill we can't pay for all the bridges in Pa.Everyone of them has a crew,maybe you don't care but I do.Another tax is going to wipe us out!Then that will also be sad if I lose my home over this mess to which I had for 30 year's.Think outside the box once in awhile.
Mainegirl

Post by Mainegirl »

Pup,

I think outside the box quite often. However, that has nothing to do with your clueless remarks.
PUP

Post by PUP »

How hard is it to figure out there's a bill coming,?A huge bill.
snyd2001

Post by snyd2001 »

I agree with Mainegirl. Pup sometimes you just don't make sense to me and seem very hard-hearted
PUP

Post by PUP »

I just don't make a big issue out of death.The people that died in 911 was alot too.The people fighting this war is many.The people in this bridge was 6.Anyway there in a better place than any of us.If that sound's cold,sorry,death is a part of life to me.I don't crawl under a rug when it happen's.Sorry it happen,time to rebuild so it don't happen again.

There was comment on tv today and the girl said:I got a bridge to sell you cheap.....deal with them kind of people.I said it was sad,thats all.