Warnings of Scam emails or fraud/con alerts!!!

Anything in our community you would like to discuss? Post it here.
disneyqn71
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 13

Warnings of Scam emails or fraud/con alerts!!!

Post by disneyqn71 »

I really believe in Oprah's quote that "When we know better...We do better"

With that being said, I thought I would open a thread that would allow us to report any scams and/or cons that we are aware of.

For the past week, I have had nothing but computer nightmares. Modem went to the shop and after $125.00 later and complete clean out, it is running fine. The Computer Pros in Bellwood are EXCELLENT.

So anyway, I wanted to share the latest scam email that I received today.

Attention:

Your email was submitted to us by an online job
recruiting agency.
KINGS DIAMONDS COMPANY, is based in the United
Kingdom.
Founded by Scott Connor in 1921,
Owing to our company growth, We are looking for
representative
worldwide who will be working for
the company as a part-time or online worker and we
are willing to pay
10 % for
every transaction, which wouldn't affect your
present state of work,
someone who would help us receive payments from our
customers in the
states and get them processed at their banks.

Most of our dealings are in cash when dealing within
the UK, but
foreign transaction is a
different thing entirely.
You will receive payments from our customers via
many methods
e.g,Online Transfer, Cash, Money
Orders, Credit Cards.
You should also mail any enquiries to the email
address below.

kingsdiamondscompany10@gmail.com

Kindly get back to us as soon as possible if you
are interested in this job offer with your:

FIRST NAME
LAST NAME
ADDRESS
CITY
STATE
ZIP CODE
COUNTRY
PHONE NUMBER
BANK NAME
MARITAL STATUS

KINDLY SEND YOUR REPLY TO:

ATTESTATION
According to how you have been briefed earlier by a
qualified representative of this establishment. You
are required and
mandated to receive payment on behalf of the above
mentioned firm. You
are to deduct 10 % of all funds processed on a
particular order and
forward the balance payment via instructions from
Kings Diamonds
Company. Group regional warehouses that will be
given to you later. You
will
notify the company a week
ahead if eventually you want to discontinue this job
so as to terminate
all payment coming your way to avoid conflict.
In agreement to this,
Please respond to the above email address:

Regards
Carl Johnson
Kings Diamonds Company
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So there you have it. I just wanted to share to prevent any innocent person from falling victim to such a scam.
Hope this helps.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Disney, thanks for the post... I know that I get many an email and they are all listed in the subject as "Re: etc."... and I know I never wrote to that person or place. The sad thing is many people fall victim to these scams. I'm sure others have gotten the same emails and the best way to get rid of them is to warn others.
PUP

Post by PUP »

I open the one that say's(You got a greeting from a classmate).
As soon as I opened it,SpyBot ate it,haaaaaaaa. :bluebounce:
SpyBot has caught so much stuff on here for me.I've had it for quite a while.It catches alot of stuff that the other security program's I had never did. :stick:
I downloaded it on all our computer's.Aol's security is junk and messes up my computer.
blueOOeyedsoutherngirl

Post by blueOOeyedsoutherngirl »

Thanks Disney.....I am getting alot of the same e-mails at work. We have a great security system (City Employee), but there are always people that are trying to hack. We all need to be very careful about information given out and what e-mails we open. If you don't know the person, report it to spam, block it and it is automatically deleted.
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Thanks Disney and Pup every little bit of info helps :thumb: .
disneyqn71

email scam

Post by disneyqn71 »

FYI
I tried to sell something for the very first time on ebay. I collect Mickey Mouse and get a lot of duplicates, so I listed a really neat brand new glass set. Just as the item was expiring, I got an email from an ebay user stating that he had a question about the shipping cost and asked me to reply. As soon as I hit the reply, my computer detected a trojan attachment. That's what started the mess with my computer.

I did report it to Ebay. The email was a total fake. Normally I would have never responded, but because I was new using Ebay, I thought it was legit.

Just wanted to share. :thumb:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

Just curious Disney.... when your computer detected that "trojan" did it tell you so, and shut down your computer completely?? Did it infect all your programs and files ?? Wasn't McAffee or Norton (whichever you have) able to get it out of there for you ?? I guess, mainly what I'm asking, is... why did you have to go to the extreme of getting outside help to clear it out of there.. what did your computer do ?? Thanks for the info on the Computer Pro's in Bellwood... that's good info to know.... I didn't realize there was someone nearby out there fix stuff like that. Jeeze, I hope I don't go pushing the wrong button and get something !! :eek: Once again, Thanks :thumb:
disneyqn71

scams

Post by disneyqn71 »

Yes. I had Mcaffee and it did detect and said it was cleared. However, later in the day after trying to sign back on thru DSL, I could not. Called tech support and still could not. Tried everything under sun until I called Computer Pros. They said that the Trojan had deleted important files necessary to run my computer.

They installed AVG and a spybot program when they cleaned everything out for me.
Like a big dummy, because I had no patience when contacting Verizon support, I took it upon myself to use the HP restore feature back to factory settings. BIG MISTAKE. I lost everything. Computer Pros did reinstall everything for me, but like I said, what a nightmare.

Hope that helps. :lol:
My2Cents
MVP Member

Post by My2Cents »

:shock: OMG yes, yes, yes that certainly does help !!! Now, I'll know what to look for and what not to do. I too have "McAffee" and "Verizon" and would have probably done the restore thing like you did. Great help Disney !!!! Thank you soooo much !!! :thumb:
PUP

Post by PUP »

One of my friend's sent me this if you want to check it out.

WORST VIRUS EVER --- CNN ANNOUNCED

I have been receiving tons of these postcard emails recently, but I have not opened one as I was concerned. I checked this on SNOPES and it is true. Be cautious of this. I don't know if it is as destructive as described below, but it is pretty bad. You should not open these e-mails. Here is a link to the snopes page:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
Leep

Post by Leep »

Disney Girl..If you paid 125$ to get a new modem card installed and a cleanup of files....You got totally ripped off.
I know how helpless you can feel when your computer crashes or goes down , I used to be the same way. Over the years i have learned to rebuild/build computers and i can tell you I got ripped more than once. Only when you learn how to do this yourself can you look back and see how you have been taken advantage of...
My niece, from Tyrone but staying with us until her job opens up in Calif, took her truck to the Ford dealer for an oil change (she supplied the oil) a fuel filter, new plugs and cap and wires...They charged her 315$.. She complained and they lowered it to 214.00$ complaining, "Well we don't charge as much as they do out in Spokane"
What a rip off.....
Not lie it was when we were kids growing up in Tyrone.. Then it was an honest dollar for an honest job..
Leep:
banksy
MVP Member

Post by banksy »

It's not a ripoff to charge something for a service that one can't perform on their own. Get the price up front and if you don't like it, try to go somewhere else.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

Leep wrote:Disney Girl..If you paid 125$ to get a new modem card installed and a cleanup of files....You got totally ripped off.
Hi Leep, it's common, locally, to refer to the CPU tower as "Modem"

For those that are not comfortable with an operating system restoration (which is the ONLY way we repair viral damage on our PC's), it truly isn't too difficult.

We typically backup, on removable media (CD, DVD, USB Key, USB HDD), all files that users need...

•My Documents (which typically contain music, photos, docs, etc.)
•Email (if outlook/express is used, they can be tricky to find, you may want to "export" them from the application if it still works)
•Desktop Files
•Browser bookmarks
•Other known files NOT in my docs directory

Then, using restoration CD/DVD/Partition, WIPE DRIVE CLEAN, and reinstall original Factory operating system. Yes, I know it's scary, but you CAN DO IT! :thumb:

Then the FIRST APPLICATION reinstalled is either Symantic Antivirus, or McAfee. I am not a fan of the full blown versions of either of these apps (Norton Internet Security is far too overbearing). So go for just antivirus/spam protection if possible. ALTHOUGH SOME USERS HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THEM, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH "FREE" ANTIVIRUS APPLICATIONS. In my opinion, spend the $20-$40 a year for a subscription based service.

Then run all updates on antivirus applications, and Microsoft updates (this can take a long time).

Reinstall all other needed software (printer drivers, camera software, iTunes, etc.)

Download FIREFOX AND THUNDERBIRD and make them my default Browser and Email client, unless you have a strong reason to stick with Microsoft applications.

Reimport all of you original files to the proper locations, allowing your antivirus applications to do their work, and scan the returning files.

We've done this dozens of times for ourselves, and sometimes others, but when it comes to $$$, many people feel that the fees to "just have it done" are worth it.

I now run and hide...

:wall: Image
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you
PUP

Post by PUP »

Rick,Answer me one thing.
Being in all the web thing's you do,What is your personal opion of AOL.
And what do you find wrong with it,if anything.
I had AOL for year's,like 15 and everytime I download their security,my 2 computer's act up.
Rick
Administrator
If Mike has 13 apples, and gives six to Jane, how many does he have left?: 7

Post by Rick »

PUP wrote:Rick,Answer me one thing.
Being in all the web thing's you do,What is your personal opion of AOL.
And what do you find wrong with it,if anything.
I had AOL for year's,like 15 and everytime I download their security,my 2 computer's act up.
I'm not a big fan of overpriced internet access. Their major reason for existence now is their content production (news, music, etc.) most of which you can get from the internet without them. As time moves forward, and more and more areas are able to utilize broadband, it will be interesting to see if AOL will survive on providing dial-up access alone. If you can, get a good local dialup provider for $10-$15 less per month, spend on $20-$40 annually on your favorite flavor of spam/virus software, and leave the AOL "tools" off of your system.
New to the boards? Welcome aboard, and please be sure to read the rules.
Be sure to check out our Frequently Asked Questions area too!
Thank you